How to handle the dining plan appetizer/dessert confusion

inspiration100

I'm expecting to get on the ship and be told the dining plan only includes 1 app, 1 salad/ soup (and 1 entree which is clear).  Several people in my party really enjoy multiple appetizers and it is important to them.  Do they employees just not know the rules so I should ask them to just ring up the appetizers?  Will it automatically get removed from the bill?

How do you handle this (politely) on the cruise?  Is bringing the terms printed out the best way?  Will they still fight it?  Deal with it after the meal at guest relations?

Edited by inspiration100

IMO I don't think it is confusion.  IMO it is managers telling staff that is the policy.  Why?  When the first thing cited after seated is limits on what you can order that indicates coaching by someone.  Again, why?  If you look at job descriptions for higher staff there are several references to cost controls.

As far as your case, take the terms just in case.  Most folks report no issues with no charge per  terms.

57 minutes ago, inspiration100 said:

Multiple people reporting they were limited to 1-1-1 on the breakaway 

when was this???

i was on the Breakaway a couple of months.

i was told 1-1-1 but ordered 5 apps anyway.

my bill was $0 because of sdp. (the free Platinum dinners are different and are really limited to 1-1-1.)

they might say 1-1-1 but the waiters never stop you from ordering more apps.

if you get pushback, just tell them you'll pay for it.

never heard of anyone saying that actually getting charged for extra apps when using sdp.

Edited by fstuff1

8 hours ago, inspiration100 said:

I'm expecting to get on the ship and be told the dining plan only includes 1 app, 1 salad/ soup (and 1 entree which is clear).  Several people in my party really enjoy multiple appetizers and it is important to them.  Do they employees just not know the rules so I should ask them to just ring up the appetizers?  Will it automatically get removed from the bill?

How do you handle this (politely) on the cruise?  Is bringing the terms printed out the best way?  Will they still fight it?  Deal with it after the meal at guest relations?

In some restaurants it is not an issue, in others it might be. I never have any trouble getting an app, a soup or salad, an entree, sides and dessert. Where you might have issues is if you order lots of apps and lots of desserts. Keep in mind that servings in the specialty restaurants are much larger than in the main dining room, and usually you don't need all that extra food.

16 minutes ago, zqvol said:

In some restaurants it is not an issue, in others it might be.

I never have any trouble getting an app, a soup or salad, an entree, sides and dessert.

Where you might have issues is if you order lots of apps and lots of desserts.

Keep in mind that servings in the specialty restaurants are much larger than in the main dining room, and usually you don't need all that extra food.

so you basically ordered 2 apps, 1 entree, 1 dessert.

like i said above, i had no problems with 5 apps. this was at both cagneys and le bistro.

and i did finish my entree all the times.

when on a cruise, noone needs all that extra food!
we just WANT to.. you know.. vacation... enjoy yourself

3 hours ago, inspiration100 said:

Multiple people reporting they were limited to 1-1-1 on the breakaway so I'm preparing for the worst.  So even if they limit 1-1-1, just order whatever we want (just 1 entree) and check the bill later?

You will be told 1-1-1. Ignore the direction.

If they try to charge you, talk to the restaurant manager. 

Seems like what they tell you and what the billing system actually does comes out to two different things. I don't know if the billing system would allow them to manually put in a charge once the card is swiped and the SDP kicks in. 

3 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

so you basically ordered 2 apps, 1 entree, 1 dessert.

like i said above, i had no problems with 5 apps. this was at both cagneys and le bistro.

and i did finish my entree all the times.

when on a cruise, noone needs all that extra food!
we just WANT to.. you know.. vacation... enjoy yourself

Second This. Not our diet time

Our lovely Le Bistro waiter on the Epic in October told us when we sat down that with the SPD it was one entrée and unlimited apps and desserts. This echoes the message at the bottom of the menu and the T&Cs on the website. I don't always order more than one app but couldn't resist the crab and then the mushroom soup.  Just one dessert - the creme brulee is my favourite pudding evs. 

IMG_2348.jpeg

We invariably eat at least once in Le Bistro and have to have two Appetizers, Mushroom Soup and Asparagus.  I would be lost if I couldn't have both!!

I order both; "the second instead of a dessert" but when the dessert menu comes I am given one!!!  Never been refused nor charged even on the platinum perk!!

I often find that the "Filet" is as good or even better than that available in Cagneys!!

• Like 1

You are talking about  the Dining Package and NOT any Latitudes  Platinum,  and above benefit?     Appetizers  are not limited with the dining package.  It is ONE entree. 

With Latitudes-  it is 1-1-1  and I  have seen charges  for additional,   (which is clearly stated and you shouldn't think  you are some how an exception and it doesn't apply to you,)   including being charged for above $20  entrees-   which just happened last week on the Breakaway.    

was on EPIC, Dec 5-15th and Cagney's was the only restaurant that with the presentation of the menu asked if we had a dining package and advised 1 app, 1 soup/salad, entree, 2 sides and 1 dessert.    We didn't test the limit as it was day 9 of the cruise and we  just wanted a salad, steak  and veggie.    The waiter was very generous with wine and refills! 

At Le  Bistro - they did not limit and for me their apps are the best part and I really don't care for any of their entrees since they removed my two favorites.  Same was true of LaCucina - they did not limit or mention limits

10 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

You will be told 1-1-1. Ignore the direction.

If they try to charge you, talk to the restaurant manager

on the GEM in Cagneys this fall with SDP,

i ordered a steak and 3 sides (mushrooms, brocoli and fries)

I have been told YOU CAN'T order more than 2 sides.

I had to insist a lot to get 3 and was charged 2$ for the 3rd one !

I asked to talk to the restaurant manager and they told me it's a new politic, they can do nothing and still charged me !

The 2$ i don't really care but I found it very frustating being told  i CAN'T ORDER more than two !:classic_angry:

But the steak was excellent as usual ! :classic_biggrin:

Edited by reveur15

1 hour ago, reveur15 said:

on the GEM in Cagneys this fall with SDP,

i ordered a steak and 3 sides (mushrooms, brocoli and fries)

I have been told YOU CAN'T order more than 2 sides.

I had to insist a lot to get 3 and was charged 2$ for the 3rd one !

I asked to talk to the restaurant manager and they told me it's a new politic, they can do nothing and still charged me !

The 2$ i don't really care but I found it very frustating being told  i CAN'T ORDER more than two !:classic_angry:

But the steak was excellent as usual ! :classic_biggrin:

interesting...

i was on the Gem this past Sept.

at cagneys, i ordered 3 apps, 1 entree, and 3 sides. (but no dessert)

bill= $0 with sdp

8 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

interesting...

i was on the Gem this past Sept.

at cagneys, i ordered 3 apps, 1 entree, and 3 sides. (but no dessert)

bill= $0 with sdp 

Me, it was in october.

First night, i also ordered 3 sides , No problems.

This was my 3rd time to cagneys on that cruise.

After that I canceled my 4th reservation and went to the bistro instead (2nd time).

On that cruise the service was MUCH better at the Bistro than the Cagneys.

On 12/21/2018 at 6:21 PM, RD29P5 said:

Seems like what they tell you and what the billing system actually does comes out to two different things. I don't know if the billing system would allow them to manually put in a charge once the card is swiped and the SDP kicks in. 

This is exactly what the issue is. Almost without exception this is what the evidence that we see shows. Staff often say there is a limit but if you order more then you will not be charged.

I’ve said this countless times on these boards. When I specifically asked the question on here whether anyone had ever actually been charged just one person claimed they had.

it really does seem very clear to me.