Government Shutdown

alexsarasota

Congress always votes back pay for those govt workers not working during a shutdown.  It's a paid vacation and over Christmas.  Congress would never let those important re-election voters get shafted.  The problem for employees is when the check arrives.

1 minute ago, Mr Beans said:

Don't know specifically about boarding a ship but family visiting us for holidays were told at airport to expect TSA delays up to 3 hours at airports

Fairly normal times for holiday flights at some larger airports 

The 42,000 men and women of the 

U S Coast Guard are working without pay ad they continue to secure our maritime

safety, security, and stewardship. They do an outstanding job inspecting cruise ships using US ports, and keeping our ports and marine interests safe.

It is a disgrace that this important branch of the US military is held in such disregard by both the Executive and Legislative branches of our government.

Is this  anyway to treat 42,000 members of the US Military?

Rest assured, they will not let this horrible situation keep them from their duty,

• Like 1

We disembarked the Viking Sun on the 27th in Miami.  Not sure why but clearance was approximately 45 minutes late.  Going through customs and passport check was fast for our group.  TSA at MIA was no problem whatsoever.  Had a nice 23 day cruise and am recovering 😳

News reports today that a much larger number of TSA employees are calling in sick than on pre shutdown days. If this persists, or grows even larger, it is bound to eventually cause larger TSA lines. 

TSA employees are working without pay, causing undo stress upon people already in a stressful job.

The US Coast Guard has done hundreds of ship inspections since the shutdown, keeping US ports safe, and cruise ships using those ports and their passengers safe. This despite the fact that 42,000 men and women of this branch of the military are currently working without pay.

23 minutes ago, rothbury said:

Not true.  The CG is getting paid.

Rothbury;

You are totally wrong, and are spreading misinformation if you believe this.

Your false information is a disservice to these fine men and women.

A simple Google search will show how wrong you are.

Although the government found a way to pay the US Coast Guard on an emergency basis on 12/31/18, they are currently not being paid and will not receive their paychecks on 1/15/2019 unless a solution is found. There is a bill in the US Senate now called Pay the Coast Guard. However, it has not yet been voted on by the Senate, and needs to pass the House, and get signed by the President before it comes into effect.

The delay of paychecks to the men and women of this branch of the military is causing much undo stress to these loyal service members.

We live in a community with many Coast Guard members, and know the hardships that many will face in a prolonged shutdown.

• Like 1

It is a shame for the Coast Guard, TSA and ALL employees that this shutdown is affecting.  I don't care if it is military or the janitors, all these people should be paid.  I feel for ALL of them equally.  They ALL have bills to pay.

Edited by jiminyC_fan

3 hours ago, jiminyC_fan said:

It is a shame for the Coast Guard, TSA and ALL employees that this shutdown is affecting.  I don't care if it is military or the janitors, all these people should be paid.  I feel for ALL of them equally.  They ALL have bills to pay.

I admire everyone who is working and is not getting paid. I can’t imagine how this can happen. I don’t know how they can maintain their homes without income. I don’t care about the ins and outs it’s just an appalling situation. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Nope, no apology here.  I live in an area with a larger CG population and training center.  When the shutdown began they were on the no pay list but were moved to the pay list.  

This is not the place to air out political disagreements so I won't respond again.

35 minutes ago, rothbury said:

Nope, no apology here.  I live in an area with a larger CG population and training center.  When the shutdown began they were on the no pay list but were moved to the pay list.  

This is not the place to air out political disagreements so I won't respond again.

Either your area is an exception to the rule,

(extremely doubtful) or you are horribly misinformed.

They WERE paid on 12/31.

They are NOT going to be paid on 1/15, without action by the government.

Which means they are currently working without pay.

Just do a Google search of US Coast Guard shutdown.

Also, why would our local church form a committee to help out our local Coast Guard members until they receive their paychecks in a timely and usual manner.

Also, why would the US Senate file a Pay the Coast Guard Act? (Yet to be acted upon) Senate Bill S.21

This is not a political disagreement.

I blame the executive and legislative branches of our government equally.

This is about more than saying, “Thank you for your service”, to military members.

it is about treating them with the respect they richly deserve.

Just access the US Coast Guard support

website at

www.cgsuprt.com

click on Shutdown FAQ

Explains that they found a way to pay everyone on 12/31/18

But, also explains at the end of Paragraph 6

”Stated very simply today’s action will not guarantee a paycheck on 15 January 2019”

These are the Facts, just read them.

If you refuse to believe the US Coast Guard’s own website, then you obviously wouldn’t admit being wrong.

” 

• Like 1

I think the Coast Guard  horse is dead and thoroughly beaten.  Unless there are plans to stuff and mount it, perhaps it is time to think about all the impacted employees and the impact that the Trump shutdown is having on all USA  residents and visitors to the USA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Okay; I'll "own" it.  I apologize but I'd like to offer an explanation.  I  saw a LTCDR in the CG at a holiday party and was talking with him about the shutdown.  He said, "I'm not worried about it because the money will still be coming in".  I took that to mean he was going to get paid.  He's not.  I saw him at the grocery store this morning and we talked so I could hear what he meant by "still coming in".  Here is his explanation.  The shutdown had just started and he didn't expect it to go this long.  Where the money is "coming" from is through his credit union.  Apparently they informed their members who were affected that they would deposit their check amount on pay day for 2 pay cycles.  It is supposed to be interest free but according to what he has learned the credit union plans to add the interest for those 2 pay cycles after 30 days.  I'm sorry.  I feel like I mislead people into thinking the CG was getting paid.  They are not.  I just misunderstood him.  again, I am sorry. 

Edited by rothbury
  • Like 2

The local Miami TV stations have reported that Miami airport will close terminal G (United) several hours early, and divert TSA agents to busier terminal areas.  There have been reports that terminals with multiple screening areas have closed some lanes, and that several US entry points at MIA are operating with fewer agents.

No word on how or if this will affect DHS people assigned to the cruise ship terminals, but I would expect there will be an impact.

The Hill

19 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I was about to post about MIA closing terminal G, but I see someone beat me to it.  Now one of the worst airports in the country is worse still I guess.  I shudder to think how airports like O'Hare, JFK or Atlanta are coping.

There was a video posted yesterday by a young lady who faced a four hour line going through security in Atlanta on January 11. She missed her flight, was rebooked on another one and spent her time taking video of her dancing in various places in the airport.

Let's face it, it is not only TSA that is short staffed  but also the Immigration and Customs will also be impacted.

And given human nature, if you are being forced to work without pay (even if you might receive the pay after the fact) and being used, unfairly, as the whipping boy, would you not want to help share the pain by making the shutdown just a little more personal by slowing down any lines?

Edited by Homosassa