Harvest caye changing January 1st

DiverJohn

1 minute ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

Yes, I have heard.  It is honored at GSC though and I am hoping that HC becomes more like that if NCL owns the whole island including the shops/bars/restaurants.

I doubt it...it’s income being generated for NCL. Don’t see them turning back on it now. 

NCL may own the caye but the place was allowed to be developed by the Belizean government on the condition that the businesses on the caye be owned and operated by Belizean nationals. The biggest business on the caye, Landshark bar and grill is owned by a local Belizean restauranteur who has the franchise. Everything else is also leased to locals.

4 hours ago, 100th Meridian said:

I believe it’s $40...if you have a shore credit, it can be used for it...so definitely worth it in that case. 

We had a clamshell on HC and the Shore Excursion credit paid it all.  It shows up on your bill until after the HC day and then the credit appears.

26 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

We had a clamshell on HC and the Shore Excursion credit paid it all.  It shows up on your bill until after the HC day and then the credit appears.

Did you reserve that after you got onboard or did you have to wait until you got to HC to do book it? We are looking to do the same thing, thanks 🙂

49 minutes ago, tbo said:

Did you reserve that after you got onboard or did you have to wait until you got to HC to do book it? We are looking to do the same thing, thanks 🙂

We reserved onboard first day.  There appeared to be plenty of them available when we reached HC, but would suggest you don't wait until the island.

• Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 9:35 AM, vpearlkc said:

NCL may own the caye but the place was allowed to be developed by the Belizean government on the condition that the businesses on the caye be owned and operated by Belizean nationals. The biggest business on the caye, Landshark bar and grill is owned by a local Belizean restauranteur who has the franchise. Everything else is also leased to locals.

Landshark is where the bartenders told me their bosses lease was expiring as of dec 31st and they were being kept on by ncl and would be able to work 44 hours a week whether busy or slow season, 

They and the boat that brings you to the mainland were both aware of Norwegian taking over everything as of Jan. 1 of this year,  I have no clue about the original occupancy / ownership agreement of the island so won’t speculate on it, but hoping people can keep asking as they visit and report back the changes if any.

23 minutes ago, ksmcdonald said:

Does this mean that NCL is not going to implement the UBP card on Harvest Caye now that the lease is up?  Looks like is says "Only cash and credit cards can be used"

Can't be 100% sure but today, we paid cash for souvenir by locals & don't see folks walking around w drinks. 

Vented clam shell is good for 2 loungers.

IMG_20190114_102855334.jpg

IMG_20190114_102549047.jpg

Sorry, this is my first time to Harvest Caye on the Getaway at the end of the month.  A few questions from things I'm reading in this thread?

- We have the $50 per cabin shore excursion credit as part of the 'free at sea' promotion.   If we wanted to use that to reserve a clam shell, do we do that on the ship or when we get to the beach?   

- Do the other loungers cost, or just the clam shell?   

- If we have 3 in the group, is it possible to get a clam shell, and a regular lounger together near each other?

Aside from this is there really any planning that you need to do before going to HC? or is it just a bit like Grand Turk?

Thanks,

• 2 weeks later...