Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Lyndihop

Single Smoking Thread (Use for all smoking discussions on HAL) )

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

 

But HAL hasn't done anything! They haven't started allowing smoking in the casino, as the OP alleges. If anything, they allow less smoking on their ships in the 20+ years we have been cruising with HAL

 

Are you expecting HAL to do something that deliberately loses money? That wouldn't be a good business model.

 

HAL had started to limit smoking beginning in 2011 and again further limited smoking in 2017.  Non-smokers like me had hoped that they would continue to limit smoking in the casino and elsewhere on new ships.  They did not do so.  According to HAL's website, OOsterdam and Eurodam casinos are completely non-smoking, and Noordam casino is completely non-smoking, with the exception of two nights per cruise.  

 

From my perspective, allowing smoking anywhere indoors is problematic, since smoke travels.  It is reminiscent of the old days on an airplane where row 20 would be non-smoking, and row 21 would be smoking.  The artificial barrier did not work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smoking in the casino is dangerous, unhealthy and stupid, IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Koningsdam Casino allowed smoking 8 of the 9 nights of our cruise. The ventilation system is completely inadequate and the entire casino reeked. I would have played far more Blackjack if I could breathe in the Casino!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was SURE we had a sticky where all smoking discussions go.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, kazu said:

I was SURE we had a sticky where all smoking discussions go.

 

 

I couldn't find a recent discussion regarding the casino policy, if this needs to be moved, I'm sure an admin will move it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:59 AM, VTcruisenut said:

Oh I don't smoke, I just like to hang in the Casino, and my husband hates it when I smell like smoke!

sounds like something has to go...……….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2019 at 3:30 PM, cruiserchuck said:

 

HAL had started to limit smoking beginning in 2011 and again further limited smoking in 2017.  Non-smokers like me had hoped that they would continue to limit smoking in the casino and elsewhere on new ships.  They did not do so.  According to HAL's website, OOsterdam and Eurodam casinos are completely non-smoking, and Noordam casino is completely non-smoking, with the exception of two nights per cruise.  

 

From my perspective, allowing smoking anywhere indoors is problematic, since smoke travels.  It is reminiscent of the old days on an airplane where row 20 would be non-smoking, and row 21 would be smoking.  The artificial barrier did not work.

 

Am encouraged that the Noordam limits casino smoking.  We are on for 22 days in April and I like to play cards, but hate smoking.  So I will avoid on smoking nights.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2019 at 10:34 PM, tv24 said:

 

Am encouraged that the Noordam limits casino smoking.  We are on for 22 days in April and I like to play cards, but hate smoking.  So I will avoid on smoking nights.  

The stench of smoking remains for quite a while. I am limiting my HAL cruising to the 4 ships that have zero casino smoking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Help with eurodam smoking. 

 

I have a hold on Cabin 4144 Eurodam until tomorrow 

I am highly allergic to smoke. 

Eurodam smoking policy is unclear. I need to know if there is smoking on Promeade deck and if smoking is allowed then which side of ship. Starboard or Port? I am in a balcony  Cabin Port side right above Promenade deck. 

 

Please  help me if anyone has very specific info. 

 

Jo Ann

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the Eurodam last month, smoking was only allowed near the Sea View Bar/Pool on starboard side, on deck nine Lido deck.  There were a lot of people smoking there, including cigars.  The smoke smell would blow into the lido cafe area.  Smoking was not allowed on the Promenade deck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are just off NA. The casino never smelled of smoke. No indoor public space did. The only place we smelled smoke was the outside Sea View bar seating space AND one day there was an overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke lingering in the starboard midship hallway on cabin deck 4. I wonder if someone was smoking in their cabin. I couldn't pinpoint an exact cabin but it did build up and fade in the space of about 10 or so cabin doors.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/11/2019 at 8:54 AM, fatcat04 said:

We are just off NA. The casino never smelled of smoke. No indoor public space did. The only place we smelled smoke was the outside Sea View bar seating space AND one day there was an overwhelming smell of cigarette smoke lingering in the starboard midship hallway on cabin deck 4. I wonder if someone was smoking in their cabin. I couldn't pinpoint an exact cabin but it did build up and fade in the space of about 10 or so cabin doors.  

The casino on the Nieuw Amsterdam is a 100% smoke free all the time.

Helen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cruise Holland America a lot (4 star Mariner) and I’m a non smoker.  I’ve never had an issue with people smoking on their balconies and I’ve been very impressed with how courteous the smokers are in the casino and smoking areas. No problem at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Disembarked this past Sunday from the Nieuw Amsterdam. This was the first HAL cruise where we didn't once smell smoke, but it only dawned on me when reading new posts to this thread. Nice change!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Disembarked this past Sunday from the Nieuw Amsterdam. This was the first HAL cruise where we didn't once smell smoke, but it only dawned on me when reading new posts to this thread. Nice change!

This and previous posts about NA is good news for us.  We embark this coming Sunday.  Looking forward to limited areas for smokers, especially the casino!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2019 at 11:48 AM, marmst63 said:

This and previous posts about NA is good news for us.  We embark this coming Sunday.  Looking forward to limited areas for smokers, especially the casino!

Agree. Unfortunately HAL seems determined to allow casino smoking in all ships except five which have a layout where casino smoking is especially bothersome to certain nearby venues. Westerdam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam, Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam have zero casino smoking. All other ships including brand new Nieuw Statendam have casino smoking. Yes, some ships may have a few non smoking nights in casino but smell permeates the room such that these provide little relief for those who are sensitive to smoke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hesitate to ask this, as some feel the need to lecture or bash, but I have a simple question.  For those who wish to smoke, do all the HAL ships have a decent covered area with comfortable seating near the aft pool on either the starboard or port side?  We are happy to comply with the rules for designated smoking areas, but when looking at each ship's deck plans, it appears that not all have the same aft configuration? A search of this forum proved to be futile,  and the information on HAL's website is vague.

Thank you! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sloth said:

I hesitate to ask this, as some feel the need to lecture or bash, but I have a simple question.  For those who wish to smoke, do all the HAL ships have a decent covered area with comfortable seating near the aft pool on either the starboard or port side? 

Yes, with the exception of the Prinsendam. On the Prinsendam, the outdoor smoking area is on Lido Deck, forward, port side. It is cordoned off from the rest of the deck area.
To my knowledge, all the other ships still have a smoking section by the Sea View pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the 2019 KBYG:

 

The designated smoking areas for all ships are as follows unless otherwise noted.

 

º Sea View (Retreat) Bar/Pool on starboard side only. On Prinsendam, Koningsdam, and Nieuw Statendam, smoking is allowed on the port side only

 

º Sun Bar on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam

 

º Sports Deck forward and aft of Crow’s Nest on starboard side on Maasdam, Veendam, Volendam, Zaandam, Rotterdam and Amsterdam

 

º Oak Room on Noordam only, including cigar and pipe smoking

 

º Designated areas for active slot players in Casinos*. Oosterdam, Eurodam and Zuiderdam casinos are completely non-smoking. Noordam Casino is completely non-smoking, with the exception of two nights per cruise.

 

Cigar and pipe smoking is not allowed anywhere inside the ship, with the exception of the Oak Room on the Noordam; it is only permitted on the outside decks where smoking is otherwise allowed. Electronic cigarettes and vaping devices are permitted in staterooms but are not permitted on stateroom verandahs. These devices may be used in all designated smoking areas listed above.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you to both Ruth and Fouremco for your prompt replies!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Fouremco said:

From the 2019 KBYG:

 

The designated smoking areas for all ships are as follows unless otherwise noted.

 

º Sea View (Retreat) Bar/Pool on starboard side only. On Prinsendam, Koningsdam, and Nieuw Statendam, smoking is allowed on the port side only

 

º Sun Bar on Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam

 

º Sports Deck forward and aft of Crow’s Nest on starboard side on Maasdam, Veendam, Volendam, Zaandam, Rotterdam and Amsterdam

 

º Oak Room on Noordam only, including cigar and pipe smoking

 

º Designated areas for active slot players in Casinos*. Oosterdam, Eurodam and Zuiderdam casinos are completely non-smoking. Noordam Casino is completely non-smoking, with the exception of two nights per cruise. 

 

Cigar and pipe smoking is not allowed anywhere inside the ship, with the exception of the Oak Room on the Noordam; it is only permitted on the outside decks where smoking is otherwise allowed. Electronic cigarettes and vaping devices are permitted in staterooms but are not permitted on stateroom verandahs. These devices may be used in all designated smoking areas listed above.

 

 

This should be updated as the Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam also have non smoking casinos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, edgee said:

This should be updated as the Westerdam and Nieuw Amsterdam also have non smoking casinos.

Thanks, I missed that. That will teach me not to assume that the most recent Know Before You Go (2019) is actually up to date. I just double checked and I notice that the website is still quoting the 2017 policy change. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please clarify.........if we are on the Volendam in the Crow's Nest is the entire starboard side of the room for smokers?    TIA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thyme2go said:

Please clarify.........if we are on the Volendam in the Crow's Nest is the entire starboard side of the room for smokers?    TIA

You can't smoke in the Crow's Nest.  You have to go to the Lido Deck which is deck 8 on this ship.  You can smoke near the seaview bar at the back of the ship.  The only other place to smoke is in the casino if you are playing.  That's about it!!

Helen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...