Barcelona Pre-Cruise hotel

AllenO

We are planning on the Western Med. cruise out of Barcelona on June 2, 2019 and would like to arrive 2-3 days early to enjoy Barcelona.  Some hotel recommendations would be appreciated.  Here's a little about us.  We are in our early 60's, and are traveling with another couple in their late 70's.  We get out and go quite a bit, aren't too fussy about our accommodations as long as they are clean and not too cramped.  Is proximity to the cruise port an issue?  Not familiar with  Barcelona so don't know.  We like to get out and go on our own, but would probably be willing to take a city tour on our first day to get oriented.  We would definitely want to take in the Sagrada Familia, but might be nice to see other museums or historical points of interest. Thanks in advance for advice.  

Allen

I am planning a Med cruise starting in Barcelona in 2020, and have done quite a bit of research on hotels.  Please note that I have not yet stayed there, but I have settled on H10 Cubik.  H10 has a number of other properties as well.  I suggest taking a look at those hotels.

I haven't got a hotel recommendation as such (we always stay at the Alexandra, which we particularly like but there are loads of good hotels in Barcelona). However, I would say that proximity to the cruise port isn't a major issue.

The port is relatively close to the city centre, but with bags it is probably going to a taxi ride. We walk whenever we can, but always get a taxi to Barcelona cruise port from the city. The roads are quite clear on Sundays, so it's an easy taxi journey.

I would just make sure that you are in a fairly decent location and consider being near at Metro station. Barcelona is quite a bit city, so you are likely to use the Metro a bit to get around.

Lots of people like being near Las Ramblas, and there are loads of hotels there. The hotel we use is past the Pl Catalunya from there, and nearer the Gaudi buildings.

Basically, you can't go far wrong in Barcelona.

We've stayed in both the H10 Universitat and the Hotel Catalonia Ramblas. Both were great hotels in a location that was just a short walk (and by short I mean a few minutes) to Placa Catalunya where you can pick up the HOHO buses, which is the most reasonably priced way to get around the city. As said, you'll need a taxi to the port but it's not far. We've walked it, but not with luggage. It's a fair walk but only about 10-15 minutes or so by taxi depending on traffic. 

The Barcelona forum of Tripadvisor has a lot of good information about hotels under the TOP QUESTIONS, plus information about the various neighborhoods, transportation options, activities, etc. 

Also look at the Spain forum in Ports of Call here on CC.

I'm going in Sept.  Surprisingly many hotels are already sold out, so I would get busy with the research and make a reservation soon.   The city is large, but the 'downtown'  seems quite compact.  We're staying near Placa Catalunya as it provides easy access from the airport via the Aerobus, is near a Metro stop, and within walking distance of  many of the sights we want to visit.  I think a cab to the pier will be about 20E ....we plan on sightseeing the morning of the cruise so grabbing a cab will be the most convenient option.

Just got back from Barcelona. Stayed at the Mont Blanc hotel, just a two block walk to Placa Catalunya and Las Ramblas and a five minute taxi to port.  Accomodations were good, location was excellent and the price was right. Been there before and would go back. Have a good trip.

We stayed at the Hotel Medicis, for a few days pre-cruise this spring, and I highly recommend them if you are looking for a great value on a no-fuss hotel. Rooms are a tad on the small side but extremely clean, and the staff is great. Breakfast was really good. The hotel is within walking distance to the Sagrada, and there is a closed off road nearby with lots of little cafes with outdoor seating and shops. It’s not located near port, but I also highly recommend using Cabify (Europe’s version of Uber).

http://www.medicishotel.com/en/

Edited by bakersdozen12

5 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

It’s not located near port, but I also highly recommend using Cabify (Europe’s version of Uber).

http://www.medicishotel.com/en/

Sorry, this is totally off topic, but this statement confused me a bit.

Being European and having never heard of Cabify, but knowing many people who use Uber regularly, I just did a bit of research. It seems that Cabify basically covers Spain, Portugal and Latin America.

Generally, Europe’s version of Uber is Uber.

10 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Sorry, this is totally off topic, but this statement confused me a bit.

Being European and having never heard of Cabify, but knowing many people who use Uber regularly, I just did a bit of research. It seems that Cabify basically covers Spain, Portugal and Latin America.

Generally, Europe’s version of Uber is Uber.

My apologizes, when I was researching for our trip, I was told they didn’t have Uber in Barcelona. Which is why we used Cabify. Perhaps it’s just Barcelona, or Spain in general, that doesn’t have it? Or didn’t when we were there. I don’t know. I guess I assumed Uber was just an American thing because of this. 

Edited by bakersdozen12

1 minute ago, bakersdozen12 said:

My apologizes, when I was researching for our trip, I was told they didn’t have Uber in Barcelona. Which is why we used Cabify. Perhaps it’s just Spain that doesn’t have it? I guess I assumed Uber was just an American thing. 

No apology needed. I was just clarifying really, in case anyone else reading this was confused.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

No apology needed. I was just clarifying really, in case anyone else reading this was confused.

Lol, now I’m trying to figure out why I thought Barcelona didn’t have it. Looks like they have had it for a least a couple years. Maybe I was just reading an old post or something. Whoops! 😊

10 hours ago, AllenO said:

We are planning on the Western Med. cruise out of Barcelona on June 2, 2019 and would like to arrive 2-3 days early to enjoy Barcelona.  Some hotel recommendations would be appreciated.  Here's a little about us.  We are in our early 60's, and are traveling with another couple in their late 70's.  We get out and go quite a bit, aren't too fussy about our accommodations as long as they are clean and not too cramped.  Is proximity to the cruise port an issue?  Not familiar with  Barcelona so don't know.  We like to get out and go on our own, but would probably be willing to take a city tour on our first day to get oriented.  We would definitely want to take in the Sagrada Familia, but might be nice to see other museums or historical points of interest. Thanks in advance for advice.  

Allen

U will find hotel reviews as others noted in the hotel section of cruise critic. One thing I want to emphasize is watch your purses or any carry item. The pickpockets are clever, fast and you can’t tell who they might be. Great city though

11 minutes ago, aceparty said:

We are doing a 12 night Venice to Barcelona. We actually let NCL do everything Air, Pre and Post Hotel. NCL uses Montblanc Barcelona. In Venice the Pre hotel is Crowne Plaza Quarto D'altino

The MontBlanc looks to be well located in Barcelona for sightseeing but the Crown Plaza is not IN Venice. It is located out beyond the airport, about a 30 minute drive away from Venice.  There is a train station by the hotel but be aware that the hotel location is not convenient for sightseeing.

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

We always stay at the Hilton Diagonal Mar. it use to be an NCL hotel across a mall and near subway stations. It is a bit further out, but a quick cab ride to the port. 

Another vote for Hilton Diagonal

very nice hotel, a block from hoho

good breakfast, great lounge - we have Hilton status so that helps

nice walk to ramblas but several restaurants within a black class or two 

15 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

U will find hotel reviews as others noted in the hotel section of cruise critic. One thing I want to emphasize is watch your purses or any carry item. The pickpockets are clever, fast and you can’t tell who they might be. Great city though

I agree,,,, be careful or the pickpockets, Was in barca for 2 weeks for work.My wife came over and we went on a cruise,it was great..When we came back we stayed for 2 more days ,the pickpockets work in groups, they tried me 2 times and they we in groups of 4, others try to distract you while 1 will try to rob you. The city is fantastic but do your homework on the other web site  T/A..it will tell everything to see  and hotel to stay in and what to watch out for... you  wil love the city and your cruise....... 

16 hours ago, Montanagirlalways said:

Is there a new "hotel" sub-forum in CC?

Could you provide a link please?

We always have used the "Ports of Call" sections on CC, but those include lots - and lots - of comments/questions about tours and what to see, etc.

(And we use TripAdvisor, too, of course.)

Thanks!

GC

Just did a quick check. I guess it’s all included as a general port of call. So Port of call-Europe-spain. We stayed at montblanc and Pulitzer. Very satisfied with both. My friend was a victim of pickpockets. The hotels have safes-use them. The pickpockets are fast. We were in a restaurant waiting to be seated when it happened 

We always stay at the "Barcelona House" hotel for our pre cruise nights. On Las Ramblas and central to everything. 

Solid 3 star hotel and ticks our boxes as we wouldn't use a pool as we can walk down to the beach area from there.