Our solution to lack of footrest on EDGE veranda

Caribbean Chris

Not sure if the Buy Your Own IV Curtain was a joke or if people really have figured out how to hang a curtain for privacy in an IV. (Without closing the full blind) 

Can anyone share? Because seriously, I want a damn privacy sheer on the Edge and will bring my own if I must. 

5 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

Not sure if the Buy Your Own IV Curtain was a joke or if people really have figured out how to hang a curtain for privacy in an IV. (Without closing the full blind) 

Can anyone share? Because seriously, I want a damn privacy sheer on the Edge and will bring my own if I must. 

I can tell you it’s not a joke that you need some sort of curtain.  We were docked across from the Edge in St Martin a couple of days ago and we were amazed how many people had the IV balconies open as they slept and that meant no curtains.  I guess one guy didn’t care because he got out of bed and showed his bare butt to everyone on the Silhouette.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2019 at 7:31 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Sorry that I missed answering your questions earlier:

Bed - ours was by the veranda area. No problems, but it’s “six of one, half dozen of another” - I travel with a service dog, so we liked having extra space in front of the sofa as we entered or left the room, but more space close to the veranda also would have been welcome. 

The spa was attractive, and I liked the young woman, Sara, who gave me a haircut. I walked around in the thermal suite (free for Aqua class) and mostly enjoyed the heated loungers facing the view. A huge deck area with three gold penguin statues are in front at the bow, only accessed through the spa. Big waste of space for general passenger use, IMHO.

in-room shower was excellent, although I’m glad our friends clued us in on how to operate the controls before I used it.

Blu was top-notch with excellent service. As good as Luminae, without the amuse-Bouches. Only a few misses, such as enormous, very fatty lamb shanks one night. It’s too bad the beautiful Blu dining room does not have windows, though.

We didn’t use the open window as much as we use a standard balcony. For one thing, you must stand there holding the button until the glass descends (I know, First World problem), and for another, the IV is small, and often I had to move a chair to reach the window control. Our room steward piled all the Kelly Hoppen pillows onto a chair overnight, which meant moving the pile of pillows to use the chair, etc. etc. It just was not as useful as a typical balcony. 

The IV window can be opened with the Celebrity app on your phone with one touch.  Then you don't have to stand there holding the button until the window opens or closes.  We were happy to figure that out...but not on the first day.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, first mate said:

The IV window can be opened with the Celebrity app on your phone with one touch.  Then you don't have to stand there holding the button until the window opens or closes.  We were happy to figure that out...but not on the first day.

You are right, first mate, and it’s good thing to point out. On the other hand, if you are relaxing with your book at the verandah end of the stateroom, your phone may not be handy, especially for women without pockets. So you can either stand up and press/hold the button, or go find the phone.

Usually on cruises, I turn off the phone and leave it in the room safe, but on Edge, you end up taking it with you, which for me meant carrying a small purse all the time (I have an iPhone 7plus, which is somewhat larger than my husband’s pocket-size phone). I liked all the app’s uses, but some people have commented that they don’t want to stay tethered to the phone on vacation.

• Like 1

It's unbelievable that there are no footrests on these "Modern Luxury" ships, especially the premium pricing. We just got off the Symphony of the Seas, and had 2 footrests and reclining chairs. Going on the Equinox next. I hope it  has the footrests.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

It's unbelievable that there are no footrests on these "Modern Luxury" ships, especially the premium pricing. We just got off the Symphony of the Seas, and had 2 footrests and reclining chairs. Going on the Equinox next. I hope it  has the footrests.

I think it varies based on the category.

Get Aqua, Concierge, or a Suite.

We have always had at least reclining chairs and foot stools on X in AQ and suites, but on our cruise in a couple of weeks it appears we won't have them for an AQ on M Class (per a CC post) so we will bring our inflatable footrest that we purchased for the Edge and never had to use.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

I think it varies based on the category.

Get Aqua, Concierge, or a Suite.

This is only partially accurate. Though the Concierge and Aqua cabins should have foot stools, the Edge versions of these classes don’t have foot stools. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

We have always had at least reclining chairs and foot stools on X in AQ and suites, but on our cruise in a couple of weeks it appears we won't have them for an AQ on M Class (per a CC post) so we will bring our inflatable footrest that we purchased for the Edge and never had to use.

We had foot stools (and bistro table and reclining chairs) in Aqua class (on Summit) in 2017. We had the same in Concierge class last year (on Silhouette). I hope the Revolution isn’t going to degrade the balcony furniture on M and S class. I’m not impressed with the lack of useful tables and balcony furniture noted in numerous Edge photos and reviews. I certainly hope they’ve listened to your constructive criticism, and that of others, and will fix their mistakes.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

We had foot stools (and bistro table and reclining chairs) in Aqua class (on Summit) in 2017. We had the same in Concierge class last year (on Silhouette). I hope the Revolution isn’t going to degrade the balcony furniture on M and S class. I’m not impressed with the lack of useful tables and balcony furniture noted in numerous Edge photos and reviews. I certainly hope they’ve listened to your constructive criticism, and that of others, and will fix their mistakes.

We will be on Infinity in 1106 - someone on CC recently said there weren't footstools either in that cabin or one nearby. I pulled a hamstring and will need to put my leg up some of the time. Doctor's orders! 😉

We're in Concierge on the Equinox, so I'm hoping. At least it's better than Princess. They took all the barrel chairs out of the rooms, except suites. The standard balconies now have nothing to sit on except the bed. Their standard balconies never had a sofa.

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We will be on Infinity in 1106 - someone on CC recently said there weren't footstools either in that cabin or one nearby. I pulled a hamstring and will need to put my leg up some of the time. Doctor's orders! 😉

The balconies are rather shallow on the M class and most CC and AQ balconies never had foot stools when we sailed in one of them.   The Large Aft balconies on deck 11 sometimes have footstools and loungers.   

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

6 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

You are right, first mate, and it’s good thing to point out. On the other hand, if you are relaxing with your book at the verandah end of the stateroom, your phone may not be handy, especially for women without pockets. So you can either stand up and press/hold the button, or go find the phone.

Usually on cruises, I turn off the phone and leave it in the room safe, but on Edge, you end up taking it with you, which for me meant carrying a small purse all the time (I have an iPhone 7plus, which is somewhat larger than my husband’s pocket-size phone). I liked all the app’s uses, but some people have commented that they don’t want to stay tethered to the phone on vacation.

I wasn't thrilled about carrying my iPhone XS Max around on the ship.  But it does take nice pics!  And it's a lot smaller than our regular cameras.    

9 minutes ago, miched said:

The balconies are rather shallow on the M class and most CC and AQ balconies never had foot stools when we sailed in one of them.   The Large Aft balconies on deck 11 sometimes have footstools and loungers.   

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Yes, I meant to add that we have only had 1141 and 1138 AQ on M Class (one of the wonderful 5 aft AQ on 11) so have had foot stools. I figured there wasn't room for them on the 1106 balcony (we didn't book in time to get an aft AQ), but thought I'd ask.

It's funny how things happen for a reason sometimes - I was disappointed about not getting one of those aft AQ cabins, but now I am very happy to be right next to the elevator with my injured leg. It's all good! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We were in 1120 (also on starboard side) on Summit, in 2017, and we did have footstools. As miched says, those balconies are rather shallow, but we did indeed have - and use - reclining chairs, Bistro table, and footstools. I hope you’ll find them on your balcony. Infinity hasn’t experienced her Revolution, has she? And you’re on her for your fabulous music cruise this month? I hope your hamstring pull heals rapidly! Having has quite a few of them myself, I know how frustrating soft tissue injuries can be.

8 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

We were in 1120 (also on starboard side) on Summit, in 2017, and we did have footstools. As miched says, those balconies are rather shallow, but we did indeed have - and use - reclining chairs, Bistro table, and footstools. I hope you’ll find them on your balcony. Infinity hasn’t experienced her Revolution, has she? And you’re on her for your fabulous music cruise this month? I hope your hamstring pull heals rapidly! Having has quite a few of them myself, I know how frustrating soft tissue injuries can be.

Thanks! That would be great if there were foot stools, but will be ready if not. Yes, it will be the Flower Power Cruise so I won't be able to boogie as usual. 😉 No, no Revolution yet (11/20/2020) - it may be our last cruise on a non-revolutionized M Class, so will savor it and then look forward to experiencing the new features.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Silkroad said:

This is only partially accurate. Though the Concierge and Aqua cabins should have foot stools, the Edge versions of these classes don’t have foot stools. 

But they stated they are sailing on Equinox an S class ship so those classes SHOULD have footstools.

Thats the best advice ive got.....

Edited by justcrusn

2 hours ago, justcrusn said:

But they stated they are sailing on Equinox an S class ship so those classes SHOULD have footstools.

Thats the best advice ive got.....

Ah, you’re absolutely right. Since this is a thread about Edge, I missed the poster asking about Equinox. They SHOULD find footstools on Equinox (as I did in a Concierge cabin on Silhouette last year) unless the “Revolution” of S class ships includes the removal of footstools.

13 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Nope, not in Concierge on Infinity.  NO footstools.  We complained and we got 2 of the shower stools that are used for the mobility impaired.  Unbelievable!

13 minutes ago, ccotting said:

Nope, not in Concierge on Infinity.  NO footstools.  We complained and we got 2 of the shower stools that are used for the mobility impaired.  Unbelievable!

That is an AQ cabin, but still may not have foot stools. Thanks for the info!

20 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Oh my.. hope that heals soon. 

How's the other stuff coming along.? Dh still using the mederma..has done a good  job..he has the one with sunscreen.

If we don't have a footstool..we'll is the garb can..if they still supply those!

26 minutes ago, hcat said:

Oh my.. hope that heals soon. 

How's the other stuff coming along.? Dh still using the mederma..has done a good  job..he has the one with sunscreen.

If we don't have a footstool..we'll is the garb can..if they still supply those!

The hamstring is coming along well with PT and rest. 🙂

My Edge scar is hardly noticeable, likely thanks to the Mederma you suggested. Maybe I should get the sunscreen type for out next cruise (I certainly haven't needed it this winter in VT).  🙂

I sailed in a standard SV on Solstice a few years back.  I was told before I boarded that even though it wasn't concierge, I could request a footstool.  So I requested it on the first day and it was delivered promptly.

I also have a standard SV on EDGE so will make the same request.