First NCL cruise - help?

j3000

we are a 60+ couple with 9 cruises under our belts. we've enjoyed all our cruises, and of the lines we've done would probably rank in order of preference: Princess, Celebrity, RC and Carnival - but again we enjoyed them all. Cleanliness, quality of "included" food ( we never go upcharge),music and other entertainment, activities, gym, and generally 'hanging out' are what we seem to need /enjoy on cruises. We go to the pool area yes, but they're all about the same, for our needs.We tend to just wander off boat in ports -no excursions.

Given that, We're considering  4-5 night Caribbean cruise on Norwegian this spring, and would appreciate any input as to how we might find NCL (older?) ships. Any  comments? 

thanks.

37 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

we are a 60+ couple with 9 cruises under our belts. we've enjoyed all our cruises, and of the lines we've done would probably rank in order of preference: Princess, Celebrity, RC and Carnival - but again we enjoyed them all. Cleanliness, quality of "included" food ( we never go upcharge),music and other entertainment, activities, gym, and generally 'hanging out' are what we seem to need /enjoy on cruises. We go to the pool area yes, but they're all about the same, for our needs.We tend to just wander off boat in ports -no excursions.

Given that, We're considering  4-5 night Caribbean cruise on Norwegian this spring, and would appreciate any input as to how we might find NCL (older?) ships. Any  comments? 

thanks.

http://blog.shipmateapp.com/norwegian-ships-by-size-biggest-smallest/

If you enjoy sight lines and walkabouts on the ship then STAY away from the epic.

1 hour ago, jargey3000 said:

thanks.

We never take a cruise less than 7 days, it is just not worth the time and effort for us.  We prefer 14 day cruises.

We have done Celebrity Royal C and NCL and still compare each before picking a cruise line.

Celebrity has the best food, Royal C and NCL the best entertainment.

We didn't care much for the Epic.   We love the Celebrity ship design the most.

Price is a huge factor for us as well as itinerary. 

Short cruises like 4-5 day cruises tend to have more party people and more drunks.  Less so on Celebrity.  Also, the shorter the cruise, the younger the passengers.

OP here

thanks. we've done a number of 5 night cruises and have enjoyed them too. we're not 'too-fussy' people, and generally go with the flow. 

price, and 'bang for the buck' are also big factors for us too!

For short cruises this spring, it looks like the NCL boats are:

SUN,  DAWN  and SKY.

any more comments?

Edited by jargey3000

appreciate the personal opinions re short cruises but, we LIKE them. (how anyone can go for 10 -11 days, or god forbid , a back-to-back, without getting "cabin fever " is beyond me...lol..., but, to each his own)

back on topic: any specific comments (pro or con) on the 3 ships mentioned?

Edited by jargey3000

I've only sailed the similar GEM last Spring (but have sailed NCL a lot), which isn't a small ship, but it is far from the size of NCL's "Away" ships and the newer ones sailing now.

I really enjoyed the GEM.  It was certainly well kept.  And, for what you're describing, would probably fit well.  Included meals were very well done.  The Buffet was fresh and tasty.  Entertainment was everywhere, from solo artists to broadway type shows in the main theater.

Seemed like during the day, there were a lot of activities outside of just hanging out by the pool.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail one of NCL's smaller ships, again!

2 hours ago, jargey3000 said:

For short cruises this spring, it looks like the NCL boats are:

SUN,  DAWN  and SKY.

13 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

any specific comments (pro or con) on the 3 ships mentioned?

All three are "older" ships (easily more than 10 years-old) and are "smaller" ships by today's standards. 

The ships with the included Open Bar will have a higher DSC. If the open bar isn't included, you have the option of taking a drink package as a promo and paying a 20% service charge on the promo or to not take the promo and pay for drinks a la carte (20% added to each drink). 

Since you already mentioned not paying for specialty dining, there's no need to explain it beyond stating that the "options" are similar to alcohol drinks. Either get a package as a promo and pay 20%, buy a package and pay 20%, or go to a specialty restaurant and pay either a cover charge or pay a la carte and pay 20% either way. 

The OP seems to be easy-going and doesn't stress the little things so NCL should be a good fit. Not as "stuffy" as Celebrity but not as "wild" as Carnival (Sky and Sun might be close to Carnival in this area :classic_wacko:).

For me, a huge difference between NCL and other cruise lines is the dining.

NCL is more informal.  I feel comfortable wearing nice jeans in the regular main dining room.

I also like not having an assigned time / place for dinner.  Some of the other cruise lines are doing this now also, but I was introduced to it on NCL.

I have sailed NCL, Carnival, RC, and MSC and have 24 cruises under my belt.

I haven't been on the Sun or the Sky, but I have been on the Dawn more than once. I think you will enjoy a cruise on the dawn. I am in your age bracket and found the ship to be just the right size. The evening entertainment in the lounges is always enjoyable. There are various activities going on during the day. I don't usually participate, but I love to watch! The theater shows are twice nightly, except for embarkation day, and there is no need to reserve a seat. The shows are as most cruise ship shows, entertaining, and last approximately 45 minutes. The gym is a good size. The main dining rooms offer different selections each night. I find the food usually above average and the service quite good. I love the freestyle dining. I have never waited to be seated in the main dining rooms. I do not generally eat in the buffet. Breakfast is served in the main dining room as well as at O'Sheehan's. There is plenty of outdoor space to relax. The Dawn is "older", but it has been refurbished. I find the staff and crew on all NCL ships to be exceptional. The Dawn makes you feel like family when onboard. 

I hope you enjoy your experience on NCL.

23 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I've only sailed the similar GEM last Spring (but have sailed NCL a lot), which isn't a small ship, but it is far from the size of NCL's "Away" ships and the newer ones sailing now.

I really enjoyed the GEM.  It was certainly well kept.  And, for what you're describing, would probably fit well.  Included meals were very well done.  The Buffet was fresh and tasty.  Entertainment was everywhere, from solo artists to broadway type shows in the main theater.

Seemed like during the day, there were a lot of activities outside of just hanging out by the pool.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail one of NCL's smaller ships, again!

sorry.... what's "GEM"?

oh, sorry..never mind lol

Edited by jargey3000

1 hour ago, jargey3000 said:

appreciate the personal opinions re short cruises but, we LIKE them. (how anyone can go for 10 -11 days, or god forbid , a back-to-back, without getting "cabin fever " is beyond me...lol..., but, to each his own)

back on topic: any specific comments (pro or con) on the 3 ships mentioned?

Love the Sun spent 32 days on her around South America and 15 Cuba/Southern Caribbean.  Love the Great Outdoors.  Happy as little claims.

how anyone would be happy getting off after 4-5 days is beyond us but as you say to each his own.  😊👍

Next NCL cruise 14 day TA and in 2020 booked 78 days around Africa (not NCL)

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.

1 hour ago, BlueLadyBlue said:

Love the Sun spent 32 days on her around South America and 15 Cuba/Southern Caribbean.  Love the Great Outdoors.  Happy as little claims.

how anyone would be happy getting off after 4-5 days is beyond us but as you say to each his own.  😊👍

Next NCL cruise 14 day TA and in 2020 booked 78 days around Africa (not NCL)

Enjoy your cruise whatever you decide.

wow! 32? 78??? 🤪🤪🤪

9 minutes ago, jargey3000 said:

wow! 32? 78??? 🤪🤪🤪

Yeah lots of people love longer cruises we did 33 (circumnavigation of Australia) the other year had 35 (Hawaii round trip) and 77 (Circle Pacific) booked but Dr said “No”, waitlisted on 34 (Circ Aus with a different line) though that’s not looking too good, can’t wait till I can do round the world (110 or so)

I've sailed the Sky twice and liked it. My parents are just off the Dawn yesterday (their 3rd or 4th cruise on her) and very much enjoyed it, and they've sailed the Sun twice before, too (along with a number of other NCL ships). The Sun has been their favorite ship. Easy to get around, newly updated.

We have sailed on Sun and Sky, both times included Cuba, which we enjoyed.

We found spaces on the ship(s) where it was away from the party crowd, they stayed on the pool deck and in the disco.  We enjoyed the shows and the Spinnaker lounge.

Agree with others about freestyle dining, very casual dress code.

You would enjoy Havana for just walking off the ship, the port is right in old Havana, lots of museums to walk about and visit.  Walk along the Malecon, everywhere was safe, no problems.