MedallionNet Voyage Package

Pickels

1 hour ago, Pam in CA said:

Excellent. I have a MR and Coastal booked in April and May. Don’t think I’ll need many minutes on the MR and the Coastal is mostly US ports. 

Pam...this was posted on our MR roll call & as I recall reading another post it was about $10/day for unlimited after using the free minutes.  Like you, we’re not purchasing the $59.99/week unlimited plan because 150 minutes per week are enough.

”The $59.99 price is for the week, not a per day price.  You can also use your free minutes up then buy a pro-rated unlimited amount for the balance of the cruise”.

3 hours ago, jdechter said:

with one elite and one platinum would it be advantageous for the platinum cruiser to purchase medallion net and the elite to keep the free minutes?? this would alleviate the one device problem somewhat.

Either or ... Platinum and Elite both get the same number of free minutes.  And, when one signs up for the MedallionNet, they lose those free minutes for the one passenger that purchased the unlimited package.... not really lost, just folded up into the package.  The other one could still use their free minutes on a separate device ....and yes, at the same time as the passenger that is using their unlimited minutes on their own device.  

fyi:

Princess Cruises
Princess Cruises Hi, Judy. Elite guests have the option of using their free minutes, or exchanging them for a MedallionNet discount.
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 18h
Judy Dechter
Judy Dechter what exactly is the discount? I will be cruising on Royal Feb 21 14 days. thanks
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 18h
Princess Cruises
Princess Cruises Thanks for asking, Judy. Loyalty Choice is available during the first 24 hours of the voyage to Platinum and Elite guests, and offers a 25% discount off the voyage rate. Normally a 14-day package would be $199.99, so you would pay $89.99 for MedallionNet for the full voyage.
Manage

50 minutes ago, jdechter said:

fyi:

Princess Cruises
Princess Cruises Hi, Judy. Elite guests have the option of using their free minutes, or exchanging them for a MedallionNet discount.
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 18h
Judy Dechter
Judy Dechter what exactly is the discount? I will be cruising on Royal Feb 21 14 days. thanks
Manage

LikeShow more reactions
 · Reply · 18h
Princess Cruises
Princess Cruises Thanks for asking, Judy. Loyalty Choice is available during the first 24 hours of the voyage to Platinum and Elite guests, and offers a 25% discount off the voyage rate. Normally a 14-day package would be $199.99, so you would pay $89.99 for MedallionNet for the full voyage.
Manage

Wow ... on my  sailing of 7 days, everyone is being offered the bargain price of $59.99, though.  I'm wonder if that is the discount or maybe I need to call.  Sounds like maybe I should be getting it for $45 instead.  Hmm?  

• 4 weeks later...

On Royal now.   Elite and Platinum received 50 minutes for the 49 day cruise.  Unlimited costs $9.99 per day if purchased on embarkation day for the entire cruise.  Thereafter it costs $19.99 per day for the balance of the cruise.  No discount for elite or platinum members.  The precruise offer read 14 plus days and was incorrect, but the internet company honored it for THIS cruise.  I wouldn’t count on it continuing to happen.  If minutes are chosen and exhausted, the  only choice is to purchase unlimited.  There is no option to purchase additional minutes.  The elite and platinum benefit has disappeared!  Incidentally, the speed is dependent on the ship being within the parameters of a specific satellite.  It slowed in the lower latitudes.  Just read the above about the discount.  I was not offered one, I assume that was because of the 9.99 offer to all.  I was offered at 14 days to go, a package for the remainder  for total cost of $109.00.

Edited by roamerfromtexas
Addition

On 2/11/2019 at 12:25 PM, jdechter said:

On 2/11/2019 at 1:18 PM, Cruise Raider said:

Wow ... on my  sailing of 7 days, everyone is being offered the bargain price of $59.99, though.  I'm wonder if that is the discount or maybe I need to call.  Sounds like maybe I should be getting it for $45 instead.  Hmm?  

Exactly, pre-cruise price for elite/platinum level is the same as for everybody else and in the example presented by jdechter is less than the fantastic on-board discount offered to platinum/elite passengers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

It sure would be GREAT for someone to get the exactly correct info & post it here. 

(I am Elite & going on Caribbean Prin in late July for 13 days.)   

We were on the Caribbean Princess 1/26-2/9/2019.  Pre-cruise unlimited internet was offered for $99.99 for a single device for the entire cruise.  Once on board the first day they offered $89.99 for a single device for the entire cruise.  They also offered a plan with 4 devices for $179.99 for the entire cruise.  If you were platinum or elite, you could still use you 250 minutes if you wanted to instead of purchasing a package.  I was under the impression that if you ran out of minutes, you could pay $9.99 per day but I cannot confirm since we purchased an unlimited package.  I do know logging in and out to use a different device was a bit difficult at times, not sure why.  The internet was fast and reliable!  

Very interesting thread. My wife and I are planning to go on the Royal Princess in May and this will be our first cruise as Platinum. 

As I understand it, if we do nothing we will each get 150 minutes free (7 day cruise) for a total of 5 hours. Which I think is great considering we have been paying for 120 minutes on each cruise.

My question is when we paid for the 120 minutes we could share the minutes and use multiple devices. With the 150 minutes this is only good on one device?

Also, since we usually run out of minutes (forget to log out) is the MedallionNet package for one of us a good deal?

Thanks in advance!

18 minutes ago, grinnin said:

Very interesting thread. My wife and I are planning to go on the Royal Princess in May and this will be our first cruise as Platinum. 

As I understand it, if we do nothing we will each get 150 minutes free (7 day cruise) for a total of 5 hours. Which I think is great considering we have been paying for 120 minutes on each cruise.

My question is when we paid for the 120 minutes we could share the minutes and use multiple devices. With the 150 minutes this is only good on one device?

Also, since we usually run out of minutes (forget to log out) is the MedallionNet package for one of us a good deal?

Thanks in advance!

There is no problem sharing minutes, grinnin.

When we cruise, Mrs. XBGuy logs on to her Platinum minutes, and it, usually, gets her into day 6 of most of our cruises.  After she uses up all her minutes, she logs on as me, and that has always been enough to get her through.

There have been numerous reports here on Cruise Critic that people who have forgotten to log off have been able to get their minutes restored by going down to the Internet Cafe and chatting with the manager.  YMMV

In April we are on a 13-day Los Angeles-Alaska cruise.  Since the three Alaska ports are all in the U.S., she has no problem just connecting via cellular data, and she can save her Platinum minutes those three days.  So, our combined 300 minute total from the Platinum benefit should be plenty fine for us.

Thanks Mr. XBGuy! We are taking an Alaskan cruise. Hadn't thought about using domestic cell minutes in port. We usually go to non-US ports. I agree the Platinum benefit should be enough. Thanks again!

I am on the Regal now.  The unlimited internet is the BEST!  I am Platinum, but I purchased the 59.99 pre cruise offer since I characteristically spend double that while onboard for terrible internet.  The service is exceptional and a true game changer for me.  No more panic about forgetting to log out. No waiting for websites to load.  I am a happy camper. 

• Like 1

New York Nana posted that the pre cruise unlimited internet was $59.99, but the special on board for Elites was $49.99 on the first day. 

I am onboard the Caribbean Princess right now. When I logged into Medallion Net, I was given 2 options. Select my 150 free minutes or purchase unlimited with a 25% discount. I selected the unlimited and my account was charged 49.99. My OBC easily covered the expense.  I’m glad I didn’t pre-purchase for $59.99.