Departure flights - FLL

Go5

Hi all,

Our ship is returning at 5:30 am. What is the earliest safe flight time I should be looking at from FLL? How long does the off boarding, etc generally take?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by Go5

11 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

I wouldn't until 10am or after. Earlier too much stress, and I have seen us delayed portside with CBP. My flights are usually noon

So that is getting to airport by 10am? So that means flight leaves around noon?

8 minutes ago, Go5 said:

So that is getting to airport by 10am? So that means flight leaves around noon?

Some would do flight 10am or earlier, but that would mean getting in line at 6am to walkoff with all your own bags. If not any flight after 10 should be no issue, I take my time getting off and at airport by 10am, doing noon flight. Unless Holiday weekend I once go airport and line was out the door. Or if you are flying overseas

Edited by ONECRUISER

47 minutes ago, Go5 said:

Hi all,

Our ship is returning at 5:30 am. What is the earliest safe flight time I should be looking at from FLL? How long does the off boarding, etc generally take?

Thanks for any advice.

We pinged off the Harmony @ 9:00 last Sunday morning, and were sitting @ the airport by 9:50 (and Customs was a madhouse).  We were so early that we had to wait an extra hour on the outside of security for our window to check in (3 hours early).   I would not think of booking a flight before 10 AM, as you have no idea of a late arrival into port.  The cab ride to the airport was 15 minutes tops (and cost $13.95 for 2).

Edited by Valiamo

I would feel safe with a noon flight. The one time I flew through there security lines were out the door and they actually shut the security lines down for 10 minutes - not sure why.  I’m usually there in plenty of time but only bc we weren’t late getting back into port and no major hiccups. 

When we sailed HOS out of Port Everglades, getting off was very quick and we were VERY early to the airport!  Even with experiencing this, I would still not book a flight before noon, as stated above.  I don't like to feel rushed or hurried- not a good way to end my vacation!!

We got off the Jewel on Sunday - Port of Miami. Express Departures were tentatively scheduled for 7:30am. AT 7:30, the dock workers were all standing around waiting for word to start offloading luggage, etc. The express departures and luggage offloading did not begin until 8:15am.  

Things moved rather quickly from that point. We were scheduled to depart 8:15...got off ship at 9am.  Grabbed a taxi. When we got to the Miami airport  both pre check and the regular Security lines were long. Lines moved quickly, it took us 20 minutes to clear security. 

Our flight was not until 1pm so we knew we had plenty of time to make it to our flight. We enjoyed a nice lunch and then went to the gate. 

You never know when/where there might be delays. Allowing yourself time eliminates a lot of stress.

I sailed Harmony with a return flight to Newark on Super Bowl Sunday. We were at the airport, sitting at our gate with our overpriced airport snacks, before 9:30am. I booked a 10:59 flight fearing even THAT was cutting it close. I was wishing I booked an earlier flight. If you do self debarkation you are off the ship in less than 10 minutes. There is no wait for taxi's and the airport was dead. We are also TSA pre, so there were zero lines from ship to gate. 

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 9:15 PM, Go5 said:

Hi all,

Thanks for any advice.

A 10:30am flight is OK.  Just self disembark with your luggage and you should have a very easy time.  Taxi's are waiting in bunches and it takes no more than 15 minutes.

We had an excellent experience on our Symphony Feb. 2 sail.  Miami Customs was using Facial Recognition technology and it was unbelievable--took no more than 15 seconds to pass Customs.  Had group #11  (7:15am) an it took us longer to walk off the ship than getting luggage and pass customs.

Had a 11AM flight from FLL (Cheaper than Miami airport).  Waited for our Van (SAS Transportation) and we were dropped off at United curbside check-in at approximate

8:45 am.  It's a 25 - 30 minute ride for Miami terminal A to the FLL.

SAS transport was excellent.  Cost us $15 (cash) per + grats  (minor charge for CC).  We reserved prior.  Upon landing called them and Steve instructed to call them once we got our luggage and they would advise us where to meet the van.  When our cruise ended, we were instructed to call them once we cleared Customs and advised to meet van by zones 11 & 12.  Overall a great value for the money.

Just off Adventure OTS last Saturday. Made my 9:40 flight at FLL with 2 hours to spare. Our ship docked in Port Everglades at about 5:30. I did the self assist walk off. No need to sign up or do anything special. We were told self assist would begin at 6:45 from the Lyric Theater. Got to the theater at about 6, placed my luggage in the line that had started to form, at 6:45 I walked off. Customs was a breeze, taxis were waiting, very short line at TSA. (prob cause cruisers take later flights lol)

That was my experience. Some will say don't book before noon. Some will say stay an extra day. Everyone will say if you run into any problems you will miss your flight. That could be true for any flight time.

In my case the flight options later in the day were lousy. I took the chance on the earlier flight and had a ton of time to spare.