What special things to expect on an inaugural transatlantic sailing

Coffeeluvr05

This will be our first transatlantic sailing and our first on a new ship (Sky Princess).  For those who have done these inaugural sailings, please share what special things we might experience.  It's not until November and we are so excited!  This will also be our first sailing as Platinum!

We sailed the Royal’s inaugural TA in 2013 and were disappointed that nothing special happened.

Being the first of that class of ship there was a lecture by an engineer who was deeply involved in the design.  Beyond that there were only Inaugural Crossing tee shirts & other Inaugural Season souvenirs available for purchase in the gift shop.

It’s possible that after 5 years I may have forgotten about something special on our inaugural crossing but we were disappointed by the lack of anything special. We’re also on the Sky’s inaugural TA in November & don’t anticipate anything special.

fire boats in all ports, a press party before departure.  

We did the inaugural on the Grand way back i  l998 out of Istanbul, not a TA but just the same inaugural... we crashed the Press party by accident in the disco lounge, was fun.   Rita Merino was the headliner on board the Grand. We did the first TA on the Ruby they had some good entertainment on board, was like a party every night.  Have fun.   

3 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

We sailed the Royal’s inaugural TA in 2013 and were disappointed that nothing special happened.

Being the first of that class of ship there was a lecture by an engineer who was deeply involved in the design.  Beyond that there were only Inaugural Crossing tee shirts & other Inaugural Season souvenirs available for purchase in the gift shop.

It’s possible that after 5 years I may have forgotten about something special on our inaugural crossing but we were disappointed by the lack of anything special. We’re also on the Sky’s inaugural TA in November & don’t anticipate anything special.

Although it is the maiden TA, it’s’ not the maiden voyage so I wouldn’t expect anything too special.  I am also on that cruise for 28 days including the TA.

5 minutes ago, spyro1952 said:

Although it is the maiden TA, it’s’ not the maiden voyage so I wouldn’t expect anything too special.  I am also on that cruise for 28 days including the TA.

The OP asked about the Sky’s inaugural TA and thus my reply about my previous inaugural TA experience which was disappointing to me.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

We were on that cruise with you, Astro Flyer!  We were given maiden crossing certificates but had expected more as well.  If you are lucky, they will try to make is more special.

I do recall there was a pretty long delay disembarking in FLL as it was her first visit to the US!  A number of people missed their 11am flights because they could not get to the airport on time.  Also, as the ship was late with disembarkation, taxis had gone to other ships for fares.  Huge lineup and lots of stress.  On our next maiden TA on the Enchanted, I will make sure I only book us flights late that day or the day after.

Edited by hokiefans

21 minutes ago, hokiefans said:

We were on that cruise with you, Astro Flyer!  We were given maiden crossing certificates but had expected more as well.  If you are lucky, they will try to make is more special.

I do recall there was a pretty long delay disembarking in FLL as it was her first visit to the US!  A number of people missed their 11am flights because they could not get to the airport on time.  Also, as the ship was late with disembarkation, taxis had gone to other ships for fares.  Huge lineup and lots of stress.  On our next maiden TA on the Enchanted, I will make sure I only book us flights late that day or the day after.

Thanks for refreshing my over 5 year old memory about the certificates. 😊

The lack of anything special was disappointing but certainly didn't affect my enjoyment of that cruise but will now have more realistic expectations.

I do recall the delays & that's why for the Sky's 12/1/19 arrival we have planned accordingly.  They were also preparing the Royal for the VIP celebration cruise & even replaced the pool's fake palm trees with columns of fake shrubs which were less likely to sway in the winds.

For the Sky's arrival that's the Sunday at the end of Thanksgiving which I've read is the busiest air travel day of the year.  Also calculating the number of passengers arriving & departing ships it's over 55,000 passengers & thus we've booked a hotel & are flying home on a much cheaper non-stop flight on Monday. 😃

Edited by Astro Flyer

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:53 PM, Coffeeluvr05 said:

This will be our first transatlantic sailing and our first on a new ship (Sky Princess).  For those who have done these inaugural sailings, please share what special things we might experience.  It's not until November and we are so excited!  This will also be our first sailing as Platinum!

I sailed on the Royal and Regal Maiden TAs

Can not recall Princess doing anything special.

Wish that I could sail on the Sky.

Have a great cruise.

5 minutes ago, phabric said:

I will be on the Sky’s first cruise Oct 20, 2019 out of Athens.

I wonder they will have anything the first cruise?

They should have something on that cruise.

I have crystal bowls from the Ruby/Emerald/Crown inaugural's.

Have received glass paperweights etc on others.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:12 PM, Astro Flyer said:

We were on that cruise. One reason the Royal might not have had anything special was because it had been sailing around the Mediterranean for three months and it had already been christened. They did have fire boats when we pulled into Fort Lauderdale. I remember there were so many Elites on board, the laundry was overloaded. Otherwise, we enjoyed the cruise, except having to get off for three days before we could do the inaugural Caribbean. 

We are booked on the NCL Encore this November. That will not only be her first Transatlantic, but her first cruise ever. It has turned into quite a disappointment. We booked it as an 11 day TA from Southampton to Miami with a stop in Ponta Delgada. Recently, the itinerary was changed to a 9 day TA from Southampton to New York with no stops. NCL prorated the days, provided a 25% discount and some OBC, but it sure has taken the luster off the cruise.

Edited by billco

7 minutes ago, billco said:

We were on that cruise. One reason the Royal might not have had anything special was because it had been sailing around the Mediterranean for three months and it had already been christened. They did have fire boats when we pulled into Fort Lauderdale. I remember there were so many Elites on board, the laundry was overloaded. Otherwise, we enjoyed the cruise, except having to get off for three days before we could do the inaugural Caribbean. 

That would probably be why.

One has to be on the first cruise of a new ship usually.

The Sky on Oct 20th from Athens will most likely have some kind of memento.

20 minutes ago, billco said:

Having sailed the Med for months would be a plausible explanation.  We board 2 weeks after the inaugural cruises & the TA is 2 weeks later.

As I previously posted, I also greatly enjoyed the Royal’s cruise & now my expectations are more realistic.  We don’t cruise for some freebies but to enjoy the cruise experience.

The approximately 1200+ elites resulted in delays of up to 7 days but it wasn’t nearly as bad on our 2017 Royal TA with about 1500 elites.

Edited by Astro Flyer