Medallion - Hearing Aid Interference?

Kartgv

We're currently on the Ruby and realized something odd.    Periodically my husband's hearing aids start 'chirping' - loud enough that I can hear it a few feet behind him.   It only occurs when we're near our cabin door (with Medallion lock) or walking down hallways past many locks.    Has anyone else experienced this or is it some unique problem with his hearing aids?    

16 minutes ago, Crzn-Life said:

Many Digital hearing aids have blue tooth to pair with smartphones and streaming accessories so it is possible there could be some issues. 

Yes, my husband's hearing aids are digital and use blue tooth tech, so I'll be curious about this.    To the op, is it much of a problem for your husband, or just something your noticed?

2 hours ago, pompeii said:

Yes, my husband's hearing aids are digital and use blue tooth tech, so I'll be curious about this.    To the op, is it much of a problem for your husband, or just something your noticed?

No, not too much of a problem - annoying but only happens when we're in certain spots.    Maybe different types of hearing aids react differently or not at all.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kartgv said:

No, not too much of a problem - annoying but only happens when we're in certain spots.    Maybe different types of hearing aids react differently or not at all.    

I hope if anyone else encounters this - they bring it to the attention of a Hotel Manager or someone similar who can further investigate.

3 minutes ago, c-boy said:

investigate?   

I guess "find out" would be the better term. 

Someone else mentioned they were told to keep it away from their pace maker due to magnets. Others have said it doesn't have magnets.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coral said:

I guess "find out" would be the better term. 

Someone else mentioned they were told to keep it away from their pace maker due to magnets. Others have said it doesn't have magnets.

so your looking for more information about this mysterious new object ? This may be enlightening.

I was on the CB last November and had the OM.  I wear hearing aids but mine do not have bluetooth.  I did not have any problem with interference with my hearing aids or my medallion.  My smart phone has bluetooth enabled all the time due to connections to my car radio (hands free calling) and have never had a problem with interference with my hearing aids.  It would be interesting if anyone else who uses hearing aids to reports this problem.  Electronics can most of the time ba a huge plus but at other times a pain in the posterior.  

• Like 1

I’ve recently returned on 7 day cruise on Regal 2/3-2/10. I wear hearing aids with Blue tooth and had no problem at all - loved the luxury of having your cabin door unlocked as I approached along with my photo posted at door

great idea, wish it was available on Crown for my cruise in three weeks 

Crown not ready yet!😔

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Coral said:

I just saw the notes that it does have a magnet and to be careful keeping it away from pace makers.

It sounds like an insurance thing to me since it is very weak but why take any chances. 

Still somehow Princess does sell a lot of items that keep the Medallion close to your heart area so they can't be all that concerned it'll cause problems.

ie. lanyards, clip-on Medallion holder.

• Like 1

Interesting conversation with my audiologist today. Apparently there have been some reported issues with Blue tooth with Starkey hearing aids but not with most of the other brands. Starkey apparently uses a different channel (whatever that means). I too have had chirps and tones with my Starkeys while onboard but never with other brands.

So out of curiosity, a question to the original OP, are the hearing aids Starkeys? If yes, that might be the answer. If not, then the mystery deepens.