Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
scubacruiserx2

Our Anniversary cruise on the Nieuw Statendam : Is the honeymoon over ?

Recommended Posts

DSC06074_zpsyexhlmuh.jpg

 

We booked this cruise on February 15th and it sailed on the the 24th . Unfortunately , all of the Neptune Suites were sold out but they did have our favorite aft view in a VS verandah # 5200 . This was our 10th aft view verandah  and it turned out to be , by far ,  the smallest .

 

DSC05807%202_zpswsw7pbsv.jpg

 

DSC05810_zpshvcq7nqo.jpg

 

We thought that we would try the Club Orange to receive some of the NS type of perks . After clearing security we went to the express check in where the camera wasn't working . They used our Zaandam photos from December . After dropping our bags we headed to the MDR for lunch .

 

DSC05802_zpsuau8qyrh.jpg

 

DSC05806_zpsuflo3yo6.jpg

 

The elevators were quite warm and with all the lights and reflective surfaces reminded me of the old toy Easy Bake Oven .

 

 

DSC05855_zpsxuoacb4q.jpg

 

 

The Lobster Shack looked good so we ordered it for the next day at Half Moon Cay

 

DSC05787_zpsyg9wlgl4.jpg

 

Lunch at a table for 2 with a view . The service and the food was very good in the MDR and it was nice and quite .

 

DSC05789_zpsruovxx7p.jpg

 

DSC05790_zpsbbe7m6tl.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for posting the pictures. Hope you enjoyed your cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonderful start.

 

I have read that all the cabins (and balconies) on this ship are smaller compared to the other ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I have read that all the cabins (and balconies) on this ship are smaller compared to the other ships.

The deck 4 VB and VF are about 10 ft deep, and our VE on deck 8 of sister ship K'dam was the standard 6 ft deep. I believe the standard VC, VD, VE, and VF on decks 5 through 8 are 6 ft deep.

Edited by catl331

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Following along as I look forward to our anniversary trip on the Nieuw Statendam in the fall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

I gave up on Photobucket when they (and still) asking me to pay for using them.

 

I don't mind paying them as long as they do their work .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the pics 🙂

 

Looking forward to more reports once photobucket co-operates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, kazu said:

Love the pics 🙂

 

Looking forward to more reports once photobucket co-operates.

 

They are working now and so are we .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After lunch we began unpacking and got a closer look at the stateroom . The door to the veranda had shims which we had never seen before .

 

DSC06114_zpsxmurbjfj.jpg

 

DSC06116_zpsumgt14hr.jpg

 

When we hit some higher seas the creaking began . It was almost like being on a wooden sailboat .

 

The bath room was very shinny and filled with hard surfaces , like the shower enclosure

 

DSC06139_zpsis4urjs1.jpg

 

This was the first time on HAL that we didn't have a tub

 

DSC06125_zpssqq6iwma.jpg

 

DSC06133_zpskxvihm26.jpg

 

The bath room has a very " live " echo chamber feel . I could hear myself breathing there , so we opened up some towels and the floor mat to deaden the din .

 

DSC06138_zpshtmcwqaj.jpg

 

When I brushed my teeth after lunch and went to rinse , I noticed that the sink stopper looked like a little round convex mirror . I could see my whole head the stopper and the water coming out of my mouth . Very strange !

 

DSC06137_zpst2w6uvgx.jpg

 

 Stranger still was seeing yourself sitting on the commode ( I was wearing snorts ) !

 

DSC06129_zpsyzl4x2ph.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad photobucket is now co-operating for you.

 

That is a lot of "shims" around the cabin.

 

Great pictures of the bathroom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Glad photobucket is now co-operating for you.

 

That is a lot of "shims" around the cabin.

 

Great pictures of the bathroom.

 

51 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Shims on a new ship. Perhaps that is usual, but it doesn’t sound right.

 

We have had to shim doors before to make them plumb or help secure them , but it's usually covered by a trim board , but not between the trim as this one was .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting to hear the OP's comments about the many shiny/reflective surfaces onboard this ship.  I suffer from glare-triggered migraine, and this kind of decor is a deal-breaker for me.  I know how to "look away" when potential triggers come into view, but really avoid places that are predominantly reflective.  Just the elevators alone would make a cruise on this ship hell week for me.  I'm sad to learn this about the Nieuw Statendam.

 

😥

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

It's interesting to hear the OP's comments about the many shiny/reflective surfaces onboard this ship.  I suffer from glare-triggered migraine, and this kind of decor is a deal-breaker for me.  I know how to "look away" when potential triggers come into view, but really avoid places that are predominantly reflective.  Just the elevators alone would make a cruise on this ship hell week for me.  I'm sad to learn this about the Nieuw Statendam.

 

😥

 

We are sorry to hear that you have those headaches . The NS would probably not be the best ship for you .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

It's interesting to hear the OP's comments about the many shiny/reflective surfaces onboard this ship.  I suffer from glare-triggered migraine, and this kind of decor is a deal-breaker for me.  I know how to "look away" when potential triggers come into view, but really avoid places that are predominantly reflective.  Just the elevators alone would make a cruise on this ship hell week for me.  I'm sad to learn this about the Nieuw Statendam.

 

😥

FYI - the Koningsdam is the same with respect to elevators and bathroom.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After unpacking we took a walk around before the safety drill

 

IMG_9846_zpsti7t4aj4.jpg

 

Club Orange exteriors

 

DSC05872_zpskucg3gwn.jpg

 

DSC05871_zpsoicjzeuf.jpg

 

Club Orange interior

 

DSC05795%203_zpss5fscvsr.jpg

 

and art work

 

DSC06213_zpsfzklxwzz.jpg

 

DSC05944_zpshmyraibf.jpg

 

DSC06000_zpsya7jnnhu.jpg

 

 

DSC06357_zpsggqhy1vj.jpg

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

 

 

We have had to shim doors before to make them plumb or help secure them , but it's usually covered by a trim board , but not between the trim as this one was .

I was on the Maasdam last summer and my inside cabin had those shims. It didn't help though and the cabin creaked. Was specially annoying at night while I was trying to sleep. I complained ( a lot), they offered me earplugs. I continued to complain, earplugs didnt help, and i finally got moved to another inside cabin on another deck. Problem solved, no more creaking. I have cabin vs5204 on the Nieuw Statendam booked for a next Winter b2b sailing. Is there any way to find out if that cabin (which is next to yours) is having problems with creaking and what HAL is doing to solve creaking problems. Maasdam is an older ship so I would almost expect some noise, creaking issues but not on a brand new ship. I would appreciate anything you can find out. I dont want to spend 2 weeks with issue. Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shipshapertoo said:

I was on the Maasdam last summer and my inside cabin had those shims. It didn't help though and the cabin creaked. Was specially annoying at night while I was trying to sleep. I complained ( a lot), they offered me earplugs. I continued to complain, earplugs didnt help, and i finally got moved to another inside cabin on another deck. Problem solved, no more creaking. I have cabin vs5204 on the Nieuw Statendam booked for a next Winter b2b sailing. Is there any way to find out if that cabin (which is next to yours) is having problems with creaking and what HAL is doing to solve creaking problems. Maasdam is an older ship so I would almost expect some noise, creaking issues but not on a brand new ship. I would appreciate anything you can find out. I dont want to spend 2 weeks with issue. Thanks.

 

 

Sorry about that . As this point we can't ask the neighbors in 5204 if they also had the creaking a few nights like we did . However there was another issue between our common wall which was the sound of dripping and or running water . We didn't hear it until things got quite on the 1st evening . After that it seemed to be more or less continuous .

Perhaps someone who has stayed in 5204 will share their experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't like the looks of the new Club Orange that is available for the Neptune Suites and Pinnacle Suite.  Chairs look terrible.  JMO

 

We prefer the Pinnacle where you can look out and watch the world go by.

 

HMM -- even the art work doesn't appeal to us.  I guess we are just a bunch of old people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2019 at 11:32 AM, ski ww said:

Thanks for posting the pictures. Hope you enjoyed your cruise.

That veranda is TINY!  Not sure how you could enjoy breakfast out there?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...