New Visa Requirements for US citizens visiting EU-2021

cbb

19 minutes ago, cbb said:

Friday  the EU stated that "American travelers will need a new type of visa -- a European Travel Information and Authorization System or ETIAS -- to visit the European Schengen Area."

Takes effect: 2021

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-citizens-need-visas-to-visit-europe-in-2021/index.html

Yes this is the same sort of Visa that UK people require to visit USA. It is required for all non-EU citizens not only American and is applied for online similar to the ESTA process.

• Like 2

Good question, currently no-one is very sure it looks like there is a determination to keep things as open as present. There is a common area travel agreement which was actually in place before the EU so perhaps this will still play a part although there may be some sort of border and of course the new ETIAS requirement although the 'visa' may not be needed for N Ireland people going to Rep of Ireland only if we go further to the EU mainland.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cbb said:

yes, others will need to get visas but I was reading CNN/US edition.  There is also a consumer group warning UK travelers to get their passports renewed IMMEDIATELY because of uncertainty over Brexit issues.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/uk-passport-brexit-scli-intl-gbr

UK travelers will need to renew their passport if less than 6 months to expiry at the end of their European vacation. Also some UK passports had  longer than a 10 year span between start and expiry date, these people will also need to renew perhaps 9 months prior to expiry as the EU will only recognise passports with at least 6 months left of the full 10 years and not 10 years and three months.

• Like 1

I have read that the application for a visa to visit the Schengen countries will be a short form to be completed online that will be good for three years and cost less than $10 so I am not (yet?) concerned.  I no longer remember the exact hours and hours it took me to complete my visa application to visit Russia on a land trip about a dozen years ago.  What a project!

cintipam--have you done the visa for Brazil, China, India?  Don't schedule anything else to do the days you do those!  Yeah, i know-- the info re: Schengen countries looks to be straightforward --it was more a heads up to fellow travelers that something additional will be needed. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cbb said:

cintipam--have you done the visa for Brazil, China, India?  Don't schedule anything else to do the days you do those!  Yeah, i know-- the info re: Schengen countries looks to be straightforward --it was more a heads up to fellow travelers that something additional will be needed. 

And we appreciate the heads up.  I have not (yet!) visited Brazil or India but the few-pages-long visa form for China, which I submitted online through an expediter, was not very detailed when I visited in 2011.  The form for Russia required every address I had ever resided at, every job I ever had, every country I ever had visited and what year I had done so , etc.  I was so so very glad that I had kept all my old expired passports!

I agree with Lyn that the it sounds like the new form will more closely resemble the e-visa form for Turkey, which took only a few minutes to complete when I last visited in 2014.  I had so hoped to return there for a circle land trip around the entire country after my husband retired but the political situation there was miserable even then so that trip is no longer high on my list.

cintipam--i'm looking into a land tour of Turkey for 2021 with Gate1.  Oceania has tempted me 2x with a cruise that docks in Istanbul, and then says....'well, no we've cancelled that port' so I'm trying the land tour route.  I like Gate1 itinerary and hope that their political situation is stable.  I don't want any "excitement" and am sure their economy would like our $$

Also aim to river cruise the Nile.  I really liked Egypt after visiting there May'18 on Nautica so Nile cruise looks great--either Viking or Uniworld--many other cruise lines have pulled out of the Nile

We'll try to tie these two vacations together since we'll be "in the neighborhood" and may add some days to Greece--inland.  I really don't need to see Santorini for like the 6th time!  Want to see Meteora, Thermapylae,  and Delphi. 

19 minutes ago, cbb said:

cintipam--i'm looking into a land tour of Turkey for 2021 with Gate1.  Oceania has tempted me 2x with a cruise that docks in Istanbul, and then says....'well, no we've cancelled that port' so I'm trying the land tour route.  I like Gate1 itinerary and hope that their political situation is stable.  I don't want any "excitement" and am sure their economy would like our $$

Also aim to river cruise the Nile.  I really liked Egypt after visiting there May'18 on Nautica so Nile cruise looks great--either Viking or Uniworld--many other cruise lines have pulled out of the Nile

We'll try to tie these two vacations together since we'll be "in the neighborhood" and may add some days to Greece--inland.  I really don't need to see Santorini for like the 6th time!  Want to see Meteora, Thermapylae,  and Delphi. 

I personally am uncomfortable now with visiting a country whose government is so anti-American but I wish you well with your plans.

We are going to Egypt at the end of  November on a lovely trip planned by my alma mater that is limited to just 18 and has an extension to Amman and Petra.  Have to travel while we still are feeling healthy!

It is final... as of October 2018. 

The "target" date is still soft but pegged at 1 Jan 2021

They still will have to develop the SW to implement and modify all of the CBP systems in each country.   Right now the systems are not inter-operable.  There was a recent EU directive to do so.

Just like Australia, the site you linked is one of the many hungry ESTA sites that will pop up to offer you an ESTA for 20-30 Euro..

There is no official application site yet,  even the so called google "official" site is a phony, located in the UK.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

It is final... as of October 2018. 

The "target" date is still soft but pegged at 1 Jan 2021

They still will have to develop the SW to implement and modify all of the CBP systems in each country.   Right now the systems are not inter-operable.  There was a recent EU directive to do so.

Just like Australia, the site you linked is one of the many hungry ESTA sites that will pop up to offer you an ESTA for 20-30 Euro..

There is no official application site yet,  even the so called google "official" site is a phony, located in the UK.

Yep. The etiavisa site is a travel agency site. No one should use it. 

Edited by Charles4515

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

not  sure if this  is the Official site or not

https://etias.com/

Hopefully by the end of 2020   we will know more

It is not the official site. First, a ".com" address is a giant hint that a website is unlikely to be an official government site. Second, by scrolling down to the bottom of the web page you'll see the that it's a travel agency.

4 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

It is not the official site. First, a ".com" address is a giant hint that a website is unlikely to be an official government site. Second, by scrolling down to the bottom of the web page you'll see the that it's a travel agency.

Yes, people should have a look at this one instead:

https://www.etiaseurope.eu/

10 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

sorry did  not see a TA name ??

Oh well lots of time   & hopefully the correct site  will appear  before  it is needed

14 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Yes, people should have a look at this one instead:

https://www.etiaseurope.eu/

No they shouldn't look at that page. It's not an official site. Did you bother to read what it says?:

DISCLAIMER STATEMENT

EtiasEurope.eu is a private Website that provides the latest News and Information regarding travel to the Schengen area and information about the new European Commission's legislative proposal for an EU Travel and Information Authorisation System (ETIAS). Because of the nature of this topic and the continuous updates of the legislative initiative, we strongly suggest that all visitors get the latest updates on the official EU governative websites.