Vista Mar 10-17 Spring Break review

We just rolled in from our Spring Break cruise on the Vista. I'm exhausted but I'll share a few highlights and the two low lights (I guess you could call them) of our trip.

1. Matt Mitchum--OMG I think I'm in love with this dude. Don't tell my husband.🤣

2. The entertainment staff--Boy Wonder, Natalie, the comedy mgr (whose name I've forgotten..sorry! 😞 ) , Joey and Char the Star--We LOVE Y'ALL!

3. Dining team--Mira, Abdul and Mehmet (Horizons ATD) were AMAZING. ❤️

4. Deck 11 balcony--need I say more? 😄

5. The light up doohickey (sorry, don't know the proper name) that goes floor to ceiling in the atrium..how awesome is that? 😄 We loved it.

6. The desserts..OH HOLY OBESITY, BATMAN! The desserts! My son says the confetti cheesecake was the best.

7. The shows...I LOVED them. Or the ones I saw (Amor Cubano, Flick and America Rocks. I missed Studio VIP because I was so exhausted that day, although my husband went and ended up being the construction worker in the YMCA number LOL) I loved anyway. 🙂

The two problems we had were minor, really, compared to how much we loved the ship.

1. The Liquid Lounge--not a fan. Nope. Not at all. Although if you sat in the upper balcony at the center back, it was OK.

2. It was too short! (OK so that's not really a PROBLEM. LOL)

I'll add more of my review later tonight. ❤️

• Like 3

Thank you for taking time to write the review! I'm enjoying it so far. 

Do you happen to have any Fun-Times from the cruise that you could share on here? 

Also, was the confetti cheesecake a dessert at the Lido buffet?

I am looking forward to the next part of your review.

21 hours ago, thecruiserofships said:

Do you happen to have any Fun-Times from the cruise that you could share on here? 

We had the same cheesecake on the Freedom the same week.It was at the lido for lunch

6C162836-E262-4EF5-8D1D-7A1710D80EF7.jpeg

What was up with your tender lines getting back on the ship in Grand Cayman?  We were on Regal Princess (also an awesome cruise, love that ship...) and we had no line at all getting on the tenders, but the Vista line seemed like it stretched on for miles.  Just seemed odd...

On 3/17/2019 at 8:09 PM, thecruiserofships said:

Do you happen to have any Fun-Times from the cruise that you could share on here

I’ll give you mine.

146266F8-2704-4F7B-937A-2FB75A033140.thumb.jpeg.93638d5387b48e035a7e001f9e49242d.jpeg7064B374-9C79-44CD-A2AD-10E19363AF3E.thumb.jpeg.75973c192ca15b8871bbdf17589b577d.jpegDBD1E41F-AC2C-478F-BFC4-38B25F022C75.thumb.jpeg.b890e0a136ea3ea0bb6d196548c73e8b.jpegCF3216E1-C616-4082-A946-CD7E9BDBE0B5.thumb.jpeg.34879a38607921c4d180668a1a16009a.jpeg88A99020-EC84-4FA4-A355-3E942453FA54.thumb.jpeg.a98f7260f29f229b9295ca7f441cbaf1.jpegD09ECCA2-42B2-4242-BB1C-ED368A11E515.thumb.jpeg.d4cf7b00e98245d9ed36d11d15b225bb.jpegF8198283-2A95-436F-A9DF-56BEEDF0FB19.thumb.jpeg.603aa3cc7336ee699376ac539bfccfa6.jpegE7DA3FAC-63A0-4D78-BFC2-7417DB5CC2A6.thumb.jpeg.eb8029a5449e2d09f10cd95433155a16.jpeg16B15455-D7B1-456A-8C0F-C4D8764BE7A6.thumb.jpeg.4e9d19cfbef7ac9e4ca16fb031ed79ac.jpeg857339D5-DFE4-4209-ACA1-19ADC01ACBEF.thumb.jpeg.89a3a99570ae6e6a44c3a7ba12f692c0.jpegBAAE7F08-AD4E-43C8-A555-EFF7155BFF27.thumb.jpeg.147163d621816f10cb8bb20f9d505f6f.jpeg51DD6EB9-2BEC-4555-B6F1-5B3695BD4B60.thumb.jpeg.66f89cb5d717251f56c0c7f97f1b2345.jpegC7DA6729-80C3-4BEB-9D06-D1E1484CBFD2.thumb.jpeg.b9bb735bc325781337add8ae91abeeeb.jpeg003E4099-3C73-448B-A024-2F6D647AB4A4.thumb.jpeg.2f12c3fcd35d7680b6b764bdc668921e.jpegE8EF0527-767C-4E5B-9CB0-2A47C5352D98.thumb.jpeg.3208f09b92cdee5e467547f0e31df1e1.jpeg5FCC968C-3833-44E6-85CD-5E98B8EC3EC9.thumb.jpeg.fefd2b6980548cf2b1e7d36ad8453d28.jpeg

Thanks, Greg!

I just don't understand why people ask for copies of the Fun Times when things are probably not going to be exactly the same on their trip except maybe the show times. ESPECIALLY if they've cruised more than once. I get it..you want to plan things, but times and events are subject to change every single cruise, right?

We also did two "Make it with Michaels" events--one where we made beaded bracelets and one where you used markers and stamps to make a card. The beaded bracelet, the guy running it (Boy Wonder) ended up cutting my string too small so it was too tight on my wrist. Rather than say anything, I decided to keep it like it was and just give it away to a friend's grand daughter when I got home. The card I ended up trashing ultimately because while I had fun making it, I SUCK at card making.

We found out that even though you're supposed to go to Deck 5 every evening to check in for ATD, we didn't have to. We told the head hostess (I think that was her title?) that we wanted the same table every night with Mira and she told us as long as we were there by no later than 6:15, she'd hold it for us. 🙂 We didn't miss a night.

I'm looking forward to cruising on the Vista again. I really enjoyed it...I thought the overall theming was nice and I loved how spacious it was even though it was full to capacity, because it didn't SEEM like it was full. I even enjoyed the LED thingies that went from floor to ceiling in the atriums...I loved watching the different changes from one design to another, etc. I know some people are like, 'But it doesn't feel as open without the glass elevators!" or whatever, but I was not mad about it. I could've sat there an watched those things change color for HOURS.

For our D/P gift, we received Tervis tumblers and although they weren't the blankets I was hoping for, I ain't mad about it. They're REALLY nice tumblers.

The D/P party was nice also..it wasn't totally crowded and the drinks were OK. I heard (I think I saw on JH's page, actually) th at they're going to start selling their own canned beers. I'm not a beer drinker, but if they're available on the next sailing I'm on at the D/P party, I might try one just to see if I like it or not.

Also...I signed up for a CC Meet N Greet through the app or whatever it is here and never got an invitation. 😕 I assumed there wasn't enough people signed up to do one (which has happened to me in the past) but I don't remember ever getting an email or any kind of notice that they weren't going to do it for lack of participation (which I've also gotten before). That was kind of weird, but not a big deal overall.

I did notice this time that when I walked into the comedy lounge for adult comedy shows, they had a staffer standing at the door checking S&S cards, scanning them to make sure the person carrying it matched the photo on the machine. 

9 hours ago, IPlayWithString said:

We found out that even though you're supposed to go to Deck 5 every evening to check in for ATD, we didn't have to. We told the head hostess (I think that was her title?) that we wanted the same table every night with Mira and she told us as long as we were there by no later than 6:15, she'd hold it for us. 🙂 We didn't miss a night.

There are four options.

1. Check-in at the desk next to the coffee shop on deck 5 (can be done as early as 5pm here but the other options you have to wait until 5:30)

2. Use the app

3. Check-in deck 3 aft dining room

4. Check-in deck 4 aft dining room

I always used option 3 or 4 and never had to wait. Other ships make everyone go to the same place and there's a line.

OP said there were a lot of kids. Is that typical for early March? Our Horizon cruise leaves on March 7th for an 8-day. We weren't sure if a lot of schools have spring break that early. Around here they don't, but I've been hearing that a lot do elsewhere. I've read stories about cruises full of rambunctious kids on spring break, so it's something I think about. I know it tends to trend towards the longer the cruise, the fewer the kids, but it kind of sounds like that changes for spring break.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 4:57 PM, IPlayWithString said:

We just rolled in from our Spring Break cruise on the Vista. I'm exhausted but I'll share a few highlights and the two low lights (I guess you could call them) of our trip.

1. Matt Mitchum--OMG I think I'm in love with this dude. Don't tell my husband.🤣

2. The entertainment staff--Boy Wonder, Natalie, the comedy mgr (whose name I've forgotten..sorry! 😞 ) , Joey and Char the Star--We LOVE Y'ALL!

3. Dining team--Mira, Abdul and Mehmet (Horizons ATD) were AMAZING. ❤️

4. Deck 11 balcony--need I say more? 😄

5. The light up doohickey (sorry, don't know the proper name) that goes floor to ceiling in the atrium..how awesome is that? 😄 We loved it.

6. The desserts..OH HOLY OBESITY, BATMAN! The desserts! My son says the confetti cheesecake was the best.

7. The shows...I LOVED them. Or the ones I saw (Amor Cubano, Flick and America Rocks. I missed Studio VIP because I was so exhausted that day, although my husband went and ended up being the construction worker in the YMCA number LOL) I loved anyway. 🙂

The two problems we had were minor, really, compared to how much we loved the ship.

1. The Liquid Lounge--not a fan. Nope. Not at all. Although if you sat in the upper balcony at the center back, it was OK.

2. It was too short! (OK so that's not really a PROBLEM. LOL)

I'll add more of my review later tonight. ❤️

I was on the Vista the week before Christmas and I too think I am in love with Matt Mitchum.  Don't tell my husband or my 18 year old daughter who is also in love with Matt Mitchum.

Edited by Lizc7gb

18 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

OP said there were a lot of kids. Is that typical for early March? Our Horizon cruise leaves on March 7th for an 8-day. We weren't sure if a lot of schools have spring break that early. Around here they don't, but I've been hearing that a lot do elsewhere. I've read stories about cruises full of rambunctious kids on spring break, so it's something I think about. I know it tends to trend towards the longer the cruise, the fewer the kids, but it kind of sounds like that changes for spring break.

That’s spring break where I’m from. That’s why I usually cruise the last week of feb or first week of March. Seems to always be safe. And the kids were less noticeable in the evenings on Vista I think because deck 6 fwd they have the imax, thrill theater and arcade. It’s like a little kid containment area. 

Edited by Saint Greg

On the same cruise and can agree CD Matt is the best ever. We've had some good ones before, but he has created a whole new level to compare with.

Liquid Lounge design is enough to recommend NOT sailing the Vista or Horizon if you like shows, as its just awful.

As for the performances, I have to disagree with posts here, I found them collectively to be some of the worst I've seen on any cruise. Between the Liquid Lounge design and show choreography they were just bad. I also felt like the performers singing was not good, not because of talent but because they were being asked to sing things that didn't suit their voices.

I also didn't like that you have to get in line for comedy or performance shows at least 30-40 mins before start to have any chance of a seat.

I found the MDR food better than normal and found all staff on the ship to be very good and friendly.

Piano bar was also a highlight for us, great performer and great venue design.

Excursions on this sailing for us were not the normal no worries.  Everyone was behind schedule, rushed and disorganized. Everyone used the same... there are a lot of boats docked today as the reason (as if these huge ships just magically decided to stop there that day even though we all booked a year ago).  It seemed people from the other cruise lines didn't have near the issues Carnival was having.

The long tender lines in Cayman we were told were caused by trouble with the tenders because of the number of ships anchored. Not sure I follow since Princess had their own tenders, but either way our Carnival booked excursions were cut short and we were rushed back to port to make the cutoff time only to wait in another line for 40 mins and leave late.

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

That’s spring break where I’m from. That’s why I usually cruise the last week of feb or first week of March. Seems to always be safe. And the kids were less noticeable in the evenings on Vista I think because deck 6 fwd they have the imax, thrill theater and arcade. It’s like a little kid containment area. 

We kind of got stuck with this sailing date because my wife wanted a cruise with members of her family and it had to meet certain criteria to satisfy others. I can only hope that it isn't so bad. Our son's in his late teens, but he still enjoys hanging out in the arcade since he's not into some of the other stuff, and we'll go play games with him now & again. And I do want to try the Thrill Theater. So if that's where the kids tend to congregate in the evenings, it doesn't look like we'll be able to avoid them entirely. This is our first time we don't have to cruise in the summer since our boy is graduating. Just when I thought there wouldn't be very many kids, we end up with a week during spring break. Schools around here don't take it until Easter. What used to be our Easter break back in the day is now their "spring break."

1 hour ago, monkeydoughnut said:

Liquid Lounge design is enough to recommend NOT sailing the Vista or Horizon if you like shows, as its just awful.

We'll be on the Horizon next year. It wouldn't have been my first pick because of the passenger count, but I wasn't involved in picking this one out, so it is what it is now. I've heard a lot of talk about how bad the design of the new Liquid Lounges are. Talk started as soon as Vista was sailing. They're smaller, aren't they? I wonder if that's an indication that Carnival acknowledges less interest in their Playlist Productions, which tend to be the biggest use of that space.

As for the performances, I have to disagree with posts here, I found them collectively to be some of the worst I've seen on any cruise. Between the Liquid Lounge design and show choreography they were just bad. I also felt like the performers singing was not good, not because of talent but because they were being asked to sing things that didn't suit their voices.

I thought the Playlist performers aboard Glory last year were terrible. Just my opinion, but I feel they could've been such better shows with better singers.

I also didn't like that you have to get in line for comedy or performance shows at least 30-40 mins before start to have any chance of a seat.

People arriving very early, sitting around waiting for these shows to start is a great way to sell drinks.

We had pretty good luck with the comedy shows last year. Getting there about 20 min. early was enough to walk right in and let us pick pretty much any seat. On our cruise before that, it was like you described.

2 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

We kind of got stuck with this sailing date because my wife wanted a cruise with members of her family and it had to meet certain criteria to satisfy others. I can only hope that it isn't so bad. Our son's in his late teens, but he still enjoys hanging out in the arcade since he's not into some of the other stuff, and we'll go play games with him now & again. And I do want to try the Thrill Theater. So if that's where the kids tend to congregate in the evenings, it doesn't look like we'll be able to avoid them entirely. This is our first time we don't have to cruise in the summer since our boy is graduating. Just when I thought there wouldn't be very many kids, we end up with a week during spring break. Schools around here don't take it until Easter. What used to be our Easter break back in the day is now their "spring break."

I did the thrill theater during the day on a sea day. If you have a rainy sea day morning that's a good thing to do. 

15 minutes ago, NotTooCritical said:

We'll be sailing the Vista for the first time later this year. I figure Guy's Burgers, the buffet and Blue Iguana would be open for embarkation, but what other dining is available once you board? Thanks.

Guys BBQ as well, only open embarkation and sea days. It was hit or miss either ehh or good depending on day it seemed.

Guys Burgers was practically a daily stop... awesome....

Blue Iguana was the breakfast spot, great breakfast burritos

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, NotTooCritical said:

We'll be sailing the Vista for the first time later this year. I figure Guy's Burgers, the buffet and Blue Iguana would be open for embarkation, but what other dining is available once you board? Thanks.

deck 11 mongolian wok in jijis and pasta bar in cuccina del capitano. I did the mongolian wok. really like the wontons they give you.

• Thanks 1

On the same cruise and can agree CD Matt is the best ever. We've had some good ones before, but he has created a whole new level to compare with.

I wouldn't say the Liquid Lounge is enough for me to go "Yeah no. NEVER sailing on that ship again." (esp as we have a late June cruise on the Vista this summer) but it wasn't my favorite part of the ship, for sure. And no matter what ship I've been on, big, small or medium sized, lining up at least 30-40 min ahead of time for comedy shows has become a thing that you do over the last couple of years. And OK...maybe some of the choreography in the shows wasn't the absolute greatest, but it was still (at least to me) entertaining. Think about it though...you're not gonna get Broadway level choreography and I am TOTALLY 1000000% OK with that.  I like the Playlist shows better than the old style shows, 100%. The old style shows bored me to tears for the most part after the first time I saw them. But I will go see the Playlist shows again and again because they're interesting EVERY single time. The old style shows just felt...eeecch. Dated.

::edited to add: I had a post in this thread removed because apparently I used "foul language" and was warned. The word I used isn't a cuss word (at least to my mind) but apparently SOMEBODY was offended by it. 😕

Edited by IPlayWithString
  • Haha 1