Breakaway fails health inspection!

fstuff1

http://crew-center.com/norwegian-breakaway-fails-usph-inspection

The cruise ship Norwegian Breakaway operated by Norwegian Cruise Line has failed the recent USPH inspection. The United States Public Health inspectors conducted an unannounced sanitation inspection on March 10, 2019, while the cruise ship was docked in New Orleans, Louisiana. After finding numerous violations the ship received a failing score of 84 points (score of 85 or below means the ship has failed the inspection). 

This is the first time Norwegian Breakaway fails the USPH inspection. During the previous inspection on April 10, 2018, the vessel received a high score of 98 points.

W T F happened in a year?!?!  :classic_blink:

Fault of the mgmt on board? ie: Restaurant mgr/Hotel director

or fault of corporate mgmt (Miami)? ie: rumors of staff cutbacks

ncl stock is near it's 52week high.

current @ $56. High = $58 (Sept 2018). Low = $39 (Dec 2018)

Edited by fstuff1

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

http://crew-center.com/norwegian-breakaway-fails-usph-inspection

The cruise ship Norwegian Breakaway operated by Norwegian Cruise Line has failed the recent USPH inspection. The United States Public Health inspectors conducted an unannounced sanitation inspection on March 10, 2019, while the cruise ship was docked in New Orleans, Louisiana. After finding numerous violations the ship received a failing score of 84 points (score of 85 or below means the ship has failed the inspection). 

This is the first time Norwegian Breakaway fails the USPH inspection. During the previous inspection on April 10, 2018, the vessel received a high score of 98 points.

W T F happened in a year?!?!  :classic_blink:

Fault of the mgmt on board? ie: Restaurant mgr/Hotel director

or fault of corporate mgmt (Miami)? ie: rumors of staff cutbacks

ncl stock is near it's 52week high.

current @ $56. High = $58 (Sept 2018). Low = $39 (Dec 2018)

Not surprised, we were on her in Jan. and witnessed lots of unsantirary things going on in the buffet area including lack of santation with regards to washy washy and a couple couple poorly cleaned washroom, lots of dirty smears  on doors and windows.

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

4 minutes ago, pinklucky61 said:

i happened to read report this weekend, they mention wine station. are there self wine dispensers on board or do they refer to something else?

Yes, there are wine dispensers in the buffet...and maybe elsewhere but I've never looked for them elsewhere so I can't be sure.

42 minutes ago, SailorMan20 said:

This has Me nervous about My cruise on the breakaway next November of 2020.

Ships sailing in American waters get inspected by the United States Public Health at least twice a year.  Once in the Spring and once in the Fall, more often if necessary.  The Breakaway will probably be re-inspected within a month.  I would not worry.

51 minutes ago, REV_Cruiser said:

I would be more upset if I had just gotten off the ship rather than on an upcoming cruise.

Yep. I’ll be on about 30 days from the failed inspection. Which means they will be in the window of their follow up inspection and they will be extra vigilant about cleanliness.

Edited by AdoraBelle

While there was nothing that was of critical nature, there were several items that are a cause for concern. The inspection found flies and fruit flies at several bars and restaurants.

With all the money NCL is charging they could at least make sure they're meeting and exceeding health codes.

Here is the report:

https://wwwn.cdc.gov/InspectionQueryTool/InspectionDetailReport.aspx?ColI=MTkzMDA3NjM%3d-0si0vlo9zng%3d

• Like 2

7 hours ago, fstuff1 said:

Nothing of significance in the report. Have you ever looked at the health reports of the restaurants around your house? Much more significant finding there. 

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Nothing of significance in the report. Have you ever looked at the health reports of the restaurants around your house? Much more significant finding there. 

While I agree with you that there was not much of a red flag nature in the violations, I am surprised that this resulted in a failing score.  It will be interesting to see the corrective action report, as this is where the actual scoring of the deficiencies is noted, along with the "scaling" of each deficiency (while a category like "warewashing equipment" may have a group total of 5 points, each deficiency will be scaled based on the inspector's impression of the severity, or the number of times a similar deficiency is noted, and can run from 0 to 5, many deficiencies noted on the inspection report come up as "0" point deductions).  It appears that some new equipment is on the ship, notably the wine dispensers and the whisky flights, and the design and purchase of these items were not discussed with the corporate USPH compliance department to determine their suitability for use under USPH requirements.  

Given the no real serious deficiencies (no real cross-contamination issues, no potable water, and only one pool deficiency), and the lack of repeat deficiencies (the ones that do show as repeat are at the same location, and are entered twice because they are in two different categories of inspection, but there are not a lot of the same type of deficiency across multiple areas, like several warewashing machines not being up to temperature), I suspect that the inspectors felt they were not being cooperated with, or there was a poor attitude amongst the crew towards the inspectors, or there was a BS element in explanations, that made them score these deficiencies this high.

The ship definitely needs a USPH refresher, and they will get a visit from the corporate USPH compliance department for several weeks.

This is like the reports in our paper about land based restaurants in our area: I love to read the reports but always chuckle at some of the reasons a restaurant is marked down. Unless the reports are truly things to be concerned about I take the reports with a grain of salt. I am glad they have inspections but I don't let the reports upset me too much. As for the reason having anything to do with cutting of the staff, this would affect all NCL ships and most get ratings in the 90s with a few at 100. 

9 minutes ago, newmexicoNita said:

This is like the reports in our paper about land based restaurants in our area: I love to read the reports but always chuckle at some of the reasons a restaurant is marked down. Unless the reports are truly things to be concerned about I take the reports with a grain of salt. I am glad they have inspections but I don't let the reports upset me too much. As for the reason having anything to do with cutting of the staff, this would affect all NCL ships and most get ratings in the 90s with a few at 100. 

Every time someone mentions "staff cutbacks", I want to say, "show me definitive proof, numbers, that overall crew numbers have decreased onboard".  My belief that what is being "observed" by cruisers as "staff cutbacks" is actually a response to the introduction of the STCW work and rest hour limitations that came into effect in 2013.  This regulates the mandatory maximum hours that crew can work, and how many hours of rest, and how those rest hours are structured, and likely has required that some front line, front of house staff have been transferred to cover back of house functions where the staff previously worked more hours, or more broken shifts than are allowed.  Given the restrictions of STCW, I don't believe that any cruise ship could operate with any decent level of service with a reduced staff.  A reallocated staff, yes, but not with less total work hours due to less workers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Not good news, however its over hyped. Has anyone every taken a look at the health reports of your local restaurants?

my comment as well or what about having cdc come in any inspect our kitchen I think ever Mrs Clean might be shocked. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Not good news, however its over hyped. Has anyone every taken a look at the health reports of your local restaurants?

Yes, it is a poor report, but as you say, compare it to land restaurants.  What local health code requires that all kitchen appliances have special screws on them so they are "easy to clean" (they cannot use slotted or Phillips head screws on the exterior of appliances), and the requirement that galley equipment meet USPH requirements as they are delivered from the manufacturer adds thousands to the cost of each piece of equipment.  What local health code requires all galley walls to have no crevice wide enough to slip a credit card into?  What local health code requires the restaurant to build their kitchen and dining room to certain standards, like the USPH does?  Even USPH inspectors will tell you that a ship with a failing score is better than most land restaurants, and most USPH inspectors are former state and local health inspectors.

• Like 2

My cruise buddy and I were on the Breakaway in January.  When I passed him the information about the Breakaway failing the inspection he said "I don't care as long as they'll let me in the Haven again".  

As others have pointed out, lots of the points would be big fails at my local restaurants (and certainly my kitchen).  But other NCL ships do pass pretty regularly, as has the Breakaway in the past.