Question about boarding passes/luggage tags

roundrockhorn

No, not at all!  One tip for your luggage tags in case you dont already do it, after we print them and fold them, we wrap/cover them with wide packing tape then staple on to luggage handle.  That we you get waterproof, pretty strong (no ripping off) tags.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Drazil65 said:

No, not at all!  One tip for your luggage tags in case you dont already do it, after we print them and fold them, we wrap/cover them with wide packing tape then staple on to luggage handle.  That we you get waterproof, pretty strong (no ripping off) tags.  

I used to do this, but then my DH got a laminator for his office and now I use that.  No more having to smooth out the bubbles in my DIY packing tape lamination. :classic_biggrin: Did I mention I'm a little OCD?:classic_blush:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, coldinkansas said:

I also print and extra and put inside just in case they do get ripped off the handle 😊

Yep, me too - I put the extras inside the (unlocked) outside zipper pockets of each suitcase.  EDIT: Except for the hardcases, of course those have the tags put inside.

Edited by ShakyBeef

3 hours ago, ShakyBeef said:

I used to do this, but then my DH got a laminator for his office and now I use that.  No more having to smooth out the bubbles in my DIY packing tape lamination. :classic_biggrin: Did I mention I'm a little OCD?:classic_blush:

Yes, but smoothing out those bubbles is how you spend an afternoon at work that would otherwise be spent.......working.

(Incidentally, I also have a touch of the CDO.....I think I may he worse than you because the acronym has to be alphabetical)

I always put a semi-cardboard (divider on folded shirts) inside with my name, cruise ship, date and cabin number (maybe an airline might need it when you're traveling to the ship ?) . . . then on the back for going home I have my name, address, cell#, and internet addy. Never know when everything else may be GONE !

36 minutes ago, emoorehead said:

Yes, but smoothing out those bubbles is how you spend an afternoon at work that would otherwise be spent.......working.

(Incidentally, I also have a touch of the CDO.....I think I may he worse than you because the acronym has to be alphabetical)

I've got the T shirt for that one. :classic_biggrin:

image.png.bf3e28106f2972412367c21fb5f0ab00.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Drazil65 said:

What a great idea!  Thx for that tip👍🏻

I have not read the other responses to your question, but the answer is NO.  Actually I printed mine out a while back, and just attached them to my luggage this evening.  My friend is coming in from AZ and I have hers ready to attached to her luggage when she arrives at my home, before flying out.  I know some people have certain types of containers to hold the tags on the luggage, but in my over 25 years of cruising off/on, I have ONLY used some Scotch tape, and stapler and they never came off the whole trip, until I took them off. 🙂

1 hour ago, beshears said:

I have not read the other responses to your question, but the answer is NO.  Actually I printed mine out a while back, and just attached them to my luggage this evening.  My friend is coming in from AZ and I have hers ready to attached to her luggage when she arrives at my home, before flying out.  I know some people have certain types of containers to hold the tags on the luggage, but in my over 25 years of cruising off/on, I have ONLY used some Scotch tape, and stapler and they never came off the whole trip, until I took them off. 🙂

I have always heard that you never put your cruise luggage tags on before a flight.  Always wait until after your flight just before you board your ship.  

We always fly in a day or two early and I wait until we get to the hotel before I put ours on.

Edited by RWolver672
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I have always heard that you never put your cruise luggage tags on before a flight.  Always wait until after your flight just before you board your ship.  

We always fly in a day or two early and I wait until we get to the hotel before I put ours on.

I'm so glad that I had attached our cruise luggage tags before our flight from BWI to SEA-TAC back in 2008.  It was our first flight post-911 and we were not prepared for the longer security process.  We arrived at BWI just under 2 hours before our flight departure time.  We missed the flight because the security line was so long and slow.  We watched our plane take off with our luggage on its way across the country without us.🙁  When we finally got another flight, about 18 hours later, the people at SEA-TAC had our luggage waiting in a specific spot for us and said they knew to put it aside for us because of the sail date on the tags.

2 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

I have always heard

that you never put your cruise luggage tags on before a flight. 

Always wait until after your flight just before you board your ship.  

We always fly in a day or two early

and I wait until we get to the hotel before I put ours on.

Agreed. Don't put those tags on Too Early.

Just before getting the taxi to the Cruise Terminal is about right.

Here's another Bag Tag-related issue that might save you a half-hour in line.

We had our tags filled out and stapled - ready to go.

Arrived at the Old San Juan terminal to join a fairly long (and slow-moving) line.

At the business end of the line stands a lady

just checking to see you've got your tags -and that they're ON.

Had we known that..

we could have skipped that line and be further fwd. in the process of boarding

so send a scout ahead to find out what's up!

This is that line.

SanJuanPRembarkation-558.jpg

• Like 1

Further to that entry above..

The next time we were embarking at Old San Juan

we engaged an identifiable Carnival Porter, waiting at the entrance

verified with him that our baggage tags were properly in place

tipped him a Fiver, and off he went with our bags

while we skipped the dreaded time-wasting line,

and went straight up the escalator to the check-in hall!

• Like 1

Thank you all for the responses! We don't have a color printer anymore either, but can get access to one if needed. As for the tags, we have some plastic tag holders that were specifically designed for cruise tags. They are like a really heavy duty zip-lock style and have a wire cable that you can run through a metal eyelet on the tag holder. The wire has a locking mechanism on it to keep it from coming off unless you actually unscrew it. My mother bought them for us when we booked our cruise in September. Now, in just 24 short days, we'll test them out. We will also be taking the suggestion to put a copy of the tags, inside our luggage as well, just in case. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, roundrockhorn said:

Thank you all for the responses! We don't have a color printer anymore either, but can get access to one if needed. As for the tags, we have some plastic tag holders that were specifically designed for cruise tags. They are like a really heavy duty zip-lock style and have a wire cable that you can run through a metal eyelet on the tag holder. The wire has a locking mechanism on it to keep it from coming off unless you actually unscrew it. My mother bought them for us when we booked our cruise in September. Now, in just 24 short days, we'll test them out. We will also be taking the suggestion to put a copy of the tags, inside our luggage as well, just in case. 

We have those same luggage tag holders, but have not used them yet. I am curious to see how well they work. They seem a little cumbersome to me.

We always print our luggage tags out in color. We figure it makes it easier for those handling the luggage at the port and on board the ship with the red priority label. Don't have a color printer at home so we go to the local public library and print them out there - only $.50 per tag.

This was a great question.  I have always printed in color, because I thought it was better for the luggage handlers to see what deck, etc that the luggage goes to.  If it is only in black and white, they have to look closer to the tag to check the deck/cabin number.   

At least that is how it used to be.  But, I will not waste money on color ink for my printer anymore.  Because I would always go out and buy just for this purpose.