Infants in specialty restaurants?

phoenix_dream

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

You are on the wrong ship. Celebrity welcomes kids of all ages. In fact, kids sail free. There are cruise lines that do not accept kids.  Nobody makes you eat in Murano. Save your $50.

Only in recent years have Specialty Dining  age restrictions on X been  loosened, gradually,.   First there were set age limits for most of the fancy venues, most of which are gone.  Then they had family hours where children could attend during early dining hrs. Now it is open...not sure of pricing or menus.

Infants are probably easiest as they can be soothed or taken out for walk. We have never observed any serious issues,  although kids can get restless  and cranky during a long meal. In the interests of having a pleasant experience, and in fairness to others,  parents  should  know what's best for their children and  decide accordingly..

A good compromise that some families might want to try are the Specialty Dining lunches offered on sea days.  The menus  are truncated but it gives the family a lovely  dining  experience.  Children come  nicely dressed and are very well behaved....and  the staff  has time to give them special attention,

rM3Panno seems to have it down perfectly!   Congrats on the new baby!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, hcat said:

Only in recent years have Specialty Dining  age restrictions on X been  loosened, gradually,.   First there were set age limits for most of the fancy venues, most of which are gone.  Then they had family hours where children could attend during early dining hrs. Now it is open...not sure of pricing or menus.

Infants are probably easiest as they can be soothed or taken out for walk. We have never observed any serious issues,  although kids can get restless  and cranky during a long meal. In the interests of having a pleasant experience, and in fairness to others,  parents  should  know what's best for their children and  decide accordingly..

A good compromise that some families might want to try are the Specialty Dining lunches offered on sea days.  The menus  are truncated but it gives the family a lovely  dining  experience.  Children come  nicely dressed and are very well behaved....and  the staff  has time to give them special attention,

rM3Panno seems to have it down perfectly!   Congrats on the new baby!

We sailed with our extended family to celebrate a big birthday. We ate at a Tuscan. We had a great dinner. Kids loved it. Kids were free. 

31 minutes ago, justcrusn said:

I have a friend that once told me “if theres a baby in the restaurant EVERYBODY knows it” !

We love children but prefer to eat without a temper tantrum at the next table.

38 minutes ago, debandbruce said:

Have not sailed Celebrity in a couple of years. Is it the norm now that children sail free? I know there are promos but is it all the time?

Don’t know if kids sail free is on all ships or if it will be the norm.  There are several cruise lines that are doing kids sail free. Competition may drive kids are free.  Great for families. Not so good for people who don’t like kids. Like kids. Just hope that the added kids don’t make the ships crowded.

1 minute ago, Redtravel said:

We sailed with our extended family to celebrate a big birthday. We ate at a Tuscan. We had a great dinner. Kids loved it. Kids were free. 

I agree Tuscan would be good for  kids and family dining....It is more like the Italian specialty restaurant on Royal C...Giovanni's table...not too fancy, fussy,  or stuffy, nice menu, reasonable service time for the meal ( hopefully)

for my 40th birthday my family bought me a voucher for a very flash award winning restaurant for me and my wife to go to.... we were having a pre-dinner drink when a couple rock up with a baby in a stroller and sat down at a table..... 5 minutes later there's a loud "Whaaaaaaa"!!!!! coming from the stroller and it echoed throughout the restaurant, the mother did all she could to quieten down the child, but the child still cried out.... in the end the couple left the restaurant and all other diners breathed a sigh of relief!

I don't understand why people would take a child that young to such an establishment....

Edited by Muffinz
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, yorky said:

Our meal in the Tuscan grill was less than wonderful due to the next table to us and they were all drunk adults with one of the females even taking our bottle of wine out of the cooler in order to pour it for themselves before I had a quick word.

4 hours ago, chemmo said:

I am not not saying that there will never be an issue with a loud child but we also once had a Chefs Table experience compromised by a middle aged lady who was downing the wine pairings by the bucket and her husband who was constantly contradicting the sommelier.....I know who I would rather dine with!!

If only there were a guarantee that having got the one, you would not get the other as well.  There’s no saying you couldn’t have nearby tables with loud drunks and screaming babies!  Or screaming drunks and loud babies, for that matter.  I’d prefer to dine without either.

3 hours ago, Redtravel said:

You are on the wrong ship. Celebrity welcomes kids of all ages. In fact, kids sail free. There are cruise lines that do not accept kids.  Nobody makes you eat in Murano. Save your $50.

Not knowing about the new "Kids Sail Free" promo,  I was curious.  So I priced a booking with and without kids.  I used the same ship, cruise, dates, stateroom category, and perks for my comparison. It is a 6 night to the Caribbean in the lowest Veranda category.

I first priced the 2 adults.  Rate was $1399pp.   When I added 2 children, the rate for the adults went up to $1599pp ($200 more pp.)  The children priced out at $299 each, and then reduced to FREE. 

First  of all, the total cruise cost ended up being $400 more than the 2 adults with the addition of the children.  Secondly, in my opinion, the 6 night Caribbean cruise in a standard veranda was a little high to begin with.  So I don't think that children are really sailing free.

And just for kicks, I priced out the above cruise with 4 adults in the stateroom.  It came to just $300 more than the cruise with 2 adults and 2 kids.

Sorry to get off subject. 🤔

9 hours ago, mfs2k said:

I’m not thrilled sitting next to infants either but if someone/a couple chooses to take their infant on a cruise they’ve paid for, and they also want to pay to dine in Murano, and they’re not violating any rules, then that’s their right. 

I will tell you Id ask for a different table if I were seated near an infant and if an infant was crying through my dinner near me, and I couldn’t move, I’d ask for my $100 refunded and I have no doubt I’d get it. 

Absolutely. I would insist on being moved or refunded. There should be a policy with an age restriction to prevent very young children from being in the higher end specialty dining like Murano and Tuscan, at least.

2 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

...... oh dear- i don´t know what they are up to- senior´s above the age of 87 are also ruled out from the cruises.

What’s the date today again 😂

14 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

Infants in the specialty restaurants, clueless people comes to mind...honestly, infants on a cruise...I don’t get it.  

What is there not to "get" about infants on a cruise? Parents of young children like to go on holidays too. Perhaps you should consider an adults only line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This has thread has certainly changed.  If you choose to cruise on Celebrity or any cruise line that welcomes kids( paid for or free), you will have children on the ship.there will be more children during holidays or summer school vacation time and fewer during the school year. They are accepted as guests and are welcome to eat.  If that bothers you, you should reevaluate your cruise selection.  I love kids. I have sailed with my kids on Celebrity during school vacations. Some holiday cruises has 500+ kids. As a retired school teacher, I can understand that there are times when you want to be kid free. Then don’t beat up on Celebrity. Sail on cruise lines that either do not accept children or are really not kid friendly.  Don’t try to change the cruise line.  On Celebrity, there will be kids!

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

This has thread has certainly changed.  If you choose to cruise on Celebrity or any cruise line that welcomes kids( paid for or free), you will have children on the ship.there will be more children during holidays or summer school vacation time and fewer during the school year. They are accepted as guests and are welcome to eat.  If that bothers you, you should reevaluate your cruise selection.  I love kids. I have sailed with my kids on Celebrity during school vacations. Some holiday cruises has 500+ kids. As a retired school teacher, I can understand that there are times when you want to be kid free. Then don’t beat up on Celebrity. Sail on cruise lines that either do not accept children or are really not kid friendly.  Don’t try to change the cruise line.  On Celebrity, there will be kids!

That is the current status...because the cruise  line and it's demograohic has changed significantly.

..There were always children welcomed  on X,   but most families gravitated to Royal C with all the  water slides and activities.. Before S class,  X  was very adult oriented.....now they cater to kid,s or anyone who fills the beds...

We just puck dates away from school vacations..works out fine...

10 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Not knowing about the new "Kids Sail Free" promo,  I was curious.  So I priced a booking with and without kids.  I used the same ship, cruise, dates, stateroom category, and perks for my comparison. It is a 6 night to the Caribbean in the lowest Veranda category.

I first priced the 2 adults.  Rate was $1399pp.   When I added 2 children, the rate for the adults went up to $1599pp ($200 more pp.)  The children priced out at $299 each, and then reduced to FREE. 

First  of all, the total cruise cost ended up being $400 more than the 2 adults with the addition of the children.  Secondly, in my opinion, the 6 night Caribbean cruise in a standard veranda was a little high to begin with.  So I don't think that children are really sailing free.

And just for kicks, I priced out the above cruise with 4 adults in the stateroom.  It came to just $300 more than the cruise with 2 adults and 2 kids.

Sorry to get off subject. 🤔

Seems not much of a  "free" sailing for kids if  adult prices are  raised...just a possible come on ad...

17 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

Passengers that book the higher end suites can do anything they wish.  That includes taking their young children to dine with them.

We have had a dinner in Qsine disrupted by a crying infant.

On a cruise last May, there was a couple with an infant in Blu.  They were visiting a ship officer.  Only came that one night, so I assume they were in a suite.

I certainly agree with your comment about suites.  In our last sailing Blu was jammed, and I mean lines of 8-10 couples out the door during prime time every single day.  They still let in suite guests, allowed them to order off the MDR menu (this was S class) which resulted in our waiter being gone for 15 minutes at a time, and let them request the same waiter even if they were seated at the opposite side of the restaurant.  Very frustrating.

12 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I certainly agree with your comment about suites.  In our last sailing Blu was jammed, and I mean lines of 8-10 couples out the door during prime time every single day.  They still let in suite guests, allowed them to order off the MDR menu (this was S class) which resulted in our waiter being gone for 15 minutes at a time, and let them request the same waiter even if they were seated at the opposite side of the restaurant.  Very frustrating.

We booked reg cabins ( SV EDGE  & balc on Summit) for our next 2 cruises, after years in BLU.  Pricing was a motivator and it was time for a change...maybe this was a good thing!   

What ship were you on?

10 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

I just read on the X website that infants are no longer allowed on board any X- ship! Strange- isn´t it?

True, if the infant is under six months old, or under a year old on cruises with three or more consecutive sea days.

6 hours ago, Nang said:

What is there not to "get" about infants on a cruise? Parents of young children like to go on holidays too. Perhaps you should consider an adults only line.

Perhaps....

That said, I think the kids don't have a clue where they are at.  I always took mine to the beach, they had no clue where they were at, but they weren't in a fancy restaurant at sea screaming their lungs out at a 2 hour dinner.  I do know that.  

• Like 1