Ocean Medallion Question Thread - Part 1

Host CJSKIDS

1 minute ago, BuckeyeMark said:

I'm seeing that I can order a drink with the Medallion and they'll find me and bring me a drink.  Does that work with specialty coffees?  They''ll bring me a latte while I'm reading a good book out on deck?

Just based on what I've read it sounds like your location will dictate what you're able to order, i.e. if you're in the piazza you'll be able to order a coffee from the I.C. but the I.C. won't be an option if you're sitting next to the Salty dog halfway across the ship and 10 decks up.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PMGS247 said:

Just based on what I've read it sounds like your location will dictate what you're able to order, i.e. if you're in the piazza you'll be able to order a coffee from the I.C. but the I.C. won't be an option if you're sitting next to the Salty dog halfway across the ship and 10 decks up.

Kinda sounds like the Green Mermaid's Mobile Order and Pay has come to Princess.... I'll take it!

9 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

Or even if you're up in the Seafood Bar the next floor up.  So I don't think the range for specialty coffees extends much beyond the Piazza, so probably not out on deck, unless it's the Promenade.

The OceanReady app is one of the worst apps I've EVER used!  I have over 50 years of software development, so I'm not a neophyte.  Trying to scan the passport, I had to put two on my account, took about 20 minutes each.  The app gave me all kinds of warnings about "glare".  the passport page is glossy.....  I had to finally go into a room and close all curtains to get the room COMPLETELY dark.  And play with the orientation of the passport until it would finally accept it.  Also, it's definitely NOT intuitive, they do a lot of very non-standard things in this app.  Looks like it was developed and QA'd by a very young team doing their first app, with no knowledge of industry standards, and a lack of experience in interfacing with consumers.

I finally got everything in but it was one of the most frustrating apps I've ever used.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, skybiker said:

The OceanReady app is one of the worst apps I've EVER used!  I have over 50 years of software development, so I'm not a neophyte.  Trying to scan the passport, I had to put two on my account, took about 20 minutes each.  The app gave me all kinds of warnings about "glare".  the passport page is glossy.....  I had to finally go into a room and close all curtains to get the room COMPLETELY dark.  And play with the orientation of the passport until it would finally accept it.  Also, it's definitely NOT intuitive, they do a lot of very non-standard things in this app.  Looks like it was developed and QA'd by a very young team doing their first app, with no knowledge of industry standards, and a lack of experience in interfacing with consumers.

I finally got everything in but it was one of the most frustrating apps I've ever used.

I'm sorry that it was rough for you, hopefully your cruise goes smoothly.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

1 hour ago, skybiker said:

This app IS buggy. My wife and I have been "Ocean Ready" for weeks. This morning, suddenly we're not. It says we need to add travel documents. Both our passports and drivers licenses have been uploaded for some time. Given where we're going, we shouldn't need any additional documentation.

The website is no better. It says, "We found no travel documents recommendations for this journey." And it displays both of our passports and drivers licenses. And the "DONE" button to try to re-add them is grayed out.

What's going on here?

2 hours ago, skybiker said:

I have often commented that it seems the Princess IT team appears to consist of people who failed as Walmart greeters. This is just one more example of their amazing level of ineptitude.

1 hour ago, Curtis Newton said:

UPDATE:    After I finally got everything in, it all suddenly disappeared.  I rentered everything and it looked like I was set to go, but noooooooo......  It says it needs more travel documents.  There is no indication what it needs, I have everything entered (twice now).   For about 30 minutes it said it couldn't find any voyages with my booking number, but it finally appeared on it's own.

3 hours ago, Samiam100 said:

Has anyone sailed with kids & medallions?  We have 3 teens and definitely are not comfortable giving them free rein with our credit card via their medallion.  Can this option be turned off? TIA!

The Medallion is just like your Cruise Card. If you don't give them charging privileges, then they can't charge.

If you are in more than one room, you can have them set it up so that your medallion opens both rooms.

2 minutes ago, richmke said:

The Medallion is just like your Cruise Card. If you don't give them charging privileges, then they can't charge.

If you are in more than one room, you can have them set it up so that your medallion opens both rooms.

Thank you!  We were checking in online and didn't see any way to turn off (or not enter) the credit card info for the kids' accts.  For that reason, we left it blank, which means we couldn't finish check-in.  I guess it is better to just wait and tell Princess we do not want our kids to have credit card access during check-in... but it seems they should allow this option if you are willing to go through the trouble of checking in early.

I find it strange that on the royal princess the medallion program displays the names of cabin occupants right by the door on the screen....in these days of security and privacy seems kinda dumb ...probably some way to turn it off but perhaps it would be better to opt in if u want your names displayed for all to see and possibly stalk with rather than having to opt out?

what's up with that?

4 hours ago, dockman said:

I find it strange that on the royal princess the medallion program displays the names of cabin occupants right by the door on the screen....in these days of security and privacy seems kinda dumb ...probably some way to turn it off but perhaps it would be better to opt in if u want your names displayed for all to see and possibly stalk with rather than having to opt out?

what's up with that?

Your name has always been outside your cabin unless you took the paper nameplate off the mailbox, same thing really.

• Like 2

yes i guess it was there but i always removed the paper.....and paper seemed less obvious/ obtrusive....if i were two single gals in a room i wouldn't really want to advertise it with names on door....

12 minutes ago, dockman said:

yes i guess it was there but i always removed the paper.....and paper seemed less obvious/ obtrusive....if i were two single gals in a room i wouldn't really want to advertise it with names on door....

Do the passenger names stay visible 24/7?   Or... do they appear when that passenger's medallion is near?

3 hours ago, dockman said:

far as i could tell they are visible 24/7

For a little extra peace of mind you can have your profile picture (the one that appears by the door - not the security picture) be anything you like. If we ever manage to score a medallion cruise I may well use Godzilla for my profile picture. Something other than my own likeness anyway.

Grrrr... so I thought I was Ocean ready, according to Princess  IT help desk, they said all the check marks are green for us and we are good to go. Nothing else to do.   Now there is  No journey reservation and  it will not allow me  to enter one.   Well on my  DH  it now says I need to scan passport which I did with IT..   I got  frustrated  tonight trying to fix this. I left it and went to Ocean compass.. and .....guess what??? They have us sailing on the WRONG SHIP!   Whaaaaaat?   Anyone else had this? I'll have to wait till tomorrow night for another very painful 3 hour IT trial and error fix it.  Totally bummed out!

On 5/12/2019 at 3:02 PM, Samiam100 said:

Thank you!  We were checking in online and didn't see any way to turn off (or not enter) the credit card info for the kids' accts.  For that reason, we left it blank, which means we couldn't finish check-in.  I guess it is better to just wait and tell Princess we do not want our kids to have credit card access during check-in... but it seems they should allow this option if you are willing to go through the trouble of checking in early.

Try this. On your cruise home page go to Guest Check In tab. Open and drop down to the Shipboard Account tab. Open that and in turn look for the section of the page that looks like what I’ve inserted below. 

In the case of my booking, I've authorized credit card access (to the linked card) for my wife and me (note the checked radio buttons). 

I’ve NOT authorized credit card access to our 10 year old nephew who will be traveling with us. Notice the radio button has not been checked for the third person on the page. 

Hope this helps. 

3FBE4D1B-6616-483A-8CD6-7F6D18E061F2.png

On 4/15/2019 at 3:20 PM, Host CJSKIDS said:

Yes, for now it's only the US that Princess is mailing it to.

It is important once you get your medallion create an acct and add all your documents. Once a guest is Ocean Ready, check-in is a breeze.

All i know is that for a week walking down the cabin hallways is that i saw room after room that clearly showed the occupants first and last names.....of course it is possible that a few had removed their names but the vast majority were displayed for all to see.