Are taxes refunded if I have to cancel?

WAMarathoner

We booked a last-minute, really inexpensive cruise for next month.  Now we're unsure we'll be able to make it.  If we end up canceling it (or just no-showing), I realize we'll lose the cruise cost.  However, I couldn't find the policy for the taxes.  Since the taxes are more than the cruise itself (!), I wondered if they would come back to us if we hadn't boarded.  Anyone know?

3 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Taxes and port fees  plus all prepaid services like shore excursions, gratuities, specialty dinner & Spa services

Not all add ons are refundable. Beverage packages must be cancelled three days before the cruise or the money is lost. As the OP hints at the possibility of just pulling a "no show" rather than formally cancelling they may not receive refunds on any of the above beyond the Government Taxes and Fees. Though hopefully they knew not to prepay for any extras given the fact it appears they passed on any insurance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, weedpindle said:

No show means ALL monies paid are forfeit.  Just think about it for a minute.

I was wondering about this for a “no show” vs. a cancellation.  I’d think a “no show” would not be refunded taxes/fees but a cancelation prior to sailing would have them refunded.

I had to cancel for an insurance covered reason 10 days before a cruise & taxes/fees were immediately refunded & were not part of the insurance claim. 

2 hours ago, fishywood said:

Not all add ons are refundable. Beverage packages must be cancelled three days before the cruise or the money is lost. As the OP hints at the possibility of just pulling a "no show" rather than formally cancelling they may not receive refunds on any of the above beyond the Government Taxes and Fees. Though hopefully they knew not to prepay for any extras given the fact it appears they passed on any insurance.

can you post the terms and conditions of the beverage packs is not refundable

Edited by gerelmx

13 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

can you post the terms and conditions of the beverage packs is not refundable

From the PBP “Package Details & Qualifications” section of the T&C:  “NOT refundable or transferable within three days of sailing”.

The Unlimited Soda & More Package has the same non-refundable 3 days prior to sailing statement.

• Thanks 1

On 4/19/2019 at 9:14 AM, WAMarathoner said:

We booked a last-minute, really inexpensive cruise for next month.  Now we're unsure we'll be able to make it.  If we end up canceling it (or just no-showing), I realize we'll lose the cruise cost.  However, I couldn't find the policy for the taxes.  Since the taxes are more than the cruise itself (!), I wondered if they would come back to us if we hadn't boarded.  Anyone know?

Don't just no show. Even if it is the last minute call Princess and tell them you will not be on board.

You are required to pay a cancellation fee (including 3rd and 4th berths) if You cancel Your Cruise, Cruisetour or Cruise Plus package. Cancellation fees are based on the fare paid, excluding Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses, transfers, surcharges, shore & land excursions and most pre-purchased gift(s) and/or special service(s). You are not entitled to any refund, payment, compensation or credit except as otherwise provided in this Section. Any refunds will be made directly to the method of payment You used at the time of booking or Your travel agent and You must receive Your refund directly from these sources. You may cancel by telephone or electronic advice via a Carrier-approved Computer Reservation System, provided Carrier immediately receives written confirmation of cancellation. In such case cancellation shall be deemed effective as of the close of business Pacific Standard Time on the date You communicated such cancellation.

Since a cancellation likely means a diminished opportunity to sell space on other cruises/cruisetours, the cancellation fees in the schedules below apply regardless of whether Your space is resold. You hereby agree that losses sustained by us in the event of Your cancellation would be very difficult or impossible to quantify, and that the fees set forth in our cancellation policy represent a fair and reasonable assessment as liquidated damages. The amount of cancellation fee varies based on length of sailing for cruise/cruisetour and timing of cancellation for cruise/cruisetour and Cruise Plus package, as illustrated in the schedules below.

Sailings 5 days or less
Days prior to Cruise or Land Package Departure Item(s) Assessed Cancellation Fee
75 days or more None None
45 to 74 days Cruise fare Deposit^ Amount
29 to 44 days All Items 50% of Total Charges
15 to 28 days All Items 75% of Total Charges
within 14 days All Items 100% of Total Charges
  • Like 1

On 4/19/2019 at 3:14 AM, WAMarathoner said:

I'm dying to know...what cruise is it? 

It's really interesting that the taxes are more than the cost of the cruise.😵

We booked a 3 day RT from San Pedro to Ensenada once that cost $99 pp. Don't recall the taxes, but I'm pretty sure they were less than the fare.

9 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

We booked a 3 day RT from San Pedro to Ensenada once that cost $99 pp. Don't recall the taxes, but I'm pretty sure they were less than the fare.

Many Alaskan cruises have high taxes.

22 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The five night cruise on Royal Princess in November 2017 that suffered mass cancellations when Grand Turk was dropped following Hurricane Irma. To fill the ship back up: Insides and Obstructed Balcony cabins $49/pp, Obstructed Deluxe Balcony $74/pp. 
The Government Taxes and Fees were $95.

33 minutes ago, fishywood said:

The five night cruise on Royal Princess in November 2017 that suffered mass cancellations when Grand Turk was dropped following Hurricane Irma. To fill the ship back up: Insides and Obstructed Balcony cabins $49/pp, Obstructed Deluxe Balcony $74/pp. 
The Government Taxes and Fees were $95.

that seems to be around the time the REGAL was supposed to have the first OM cruises - there was a 3 night to PC only , followed by a 4 night to Turks and Caicos .. that was also changed to Princess Cay instead of GT ... we cancelled both as we were not in the "select" cabins that would have OM ....

now ... meh

On 4/20/2019 at 4:05 PM, JF - retired RRT said:

Just a date night cruise from Vancouver to Seattle on Princess.  $19pp with $25pp in taxes (and $50 OBC for military to cover gratuities or most of the Crown Grille).  There was also a 3-day from LA to Vancouver for $39 with $75pp in taxes.    If I had been smart about it, I would've booked single rooms for each of us and scored another cruise credit for all of $19 (and one of us would've been able to sleep snore-free.)  Next time 🙂

10 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

Just a date night cruise from Vancouver to Seattle on Princess.  $19pp with $25pp in taxes (and $50 OBC for military to cover gratuities or most of the Crown Grille).  There was also a 3-day from LA to Vancouver for $39 with $75pp in taxes.    If I had been smart about it, I would've booked single rooms for each of us and scored another cruise credit for all of $19 (and one of us would've been able to sleep snore-free.)  Next time 🙂

Really great prices!

• Like 1