Premium Plus Beverage Package

katzz35

1 hour ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I appreciate the OP's thoughts on this but have been watching this thread hoping that others might chime in with their experiences as well.  I'm sailing on Breakaway in 18 days and I am trying to figure out if we are going to go for it.  The jury's still out.

I did a post on my experience with it on the Bliss: 

We celebrated Mother’s Day with the PPB, as the crew referred to it, on the NCL Joy a few weeks ago and we loved it! It was so cool to be able to order almost what ever we wanted. We had many glasses Veuve Clicquot listed @ $34.95 a glass or $99 a bottle which we could have had since it had a star on the menu. 

The Haven bartenders were amazing.  Gin and tonic is one of our favorite drinks. We started out with Hendricks gin, but quickly advanced to Botanist gin for my wife and Monkey 47 gin for me. Our drinks were made with bottled tonic water or bottled club soda. 

Ciroc Vodka, Wyland Ultra Premium Rum, Don Julio Reposado, WhistlePig Rye Whiskey were some of the liquors we tried. At The District Brew House we had a couple bottles of Chimay Grande Reserve Ale.

We like red wines and some of our favorites were: Silverado Cabernet at Cagney’s, Simi Alexander Valley Cabernet at various restaurants and Brunello di Montalcino Castello Banf at La Cucina. Also, at La Cucina we tried another French Champagne called Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Rose, which we liked.

With every meal we had a bottle of Pellegrino and fresh squeezed orange juice at breakfast. There was never a charge at either of the 2 Starbucks on the Joy.

There were so few, if any, people with the PPB we got into the habit of mentioning we had it when we had a new (to us) server. We kept an eye on our on board account using the app and we were mistakenly changed only 3 times, which were quickly removed when we brought it to their attention. Sales tax in Seattle and Victoria, BC on the more expensive drinks really wasn’t all that bad.

I highly recommend the package and I’m sure we’ll do it again.

The crew on the Joy were fantastic and we are looking forward to sailing her again this year with the PPB.

Brunello di Montalcino Castello Banfi:

4CEE6425-832E-4260-99EF-29381BBB6105.thumb.jpeg.dfa681320f996b785f490dbf50ab1312.jpeg

Nicolas Feuillatte Brut Rose:

E33D1EC4-D4C4-4266-8332-EAF1987A4E84.thumb.jpeg.6c8da5f6dab8091683a470df5847ce16.jpeg

Espresso Martini:

0D300E16-6750-4996-91D1-88E06691BF63.thumb.jpeg.a51bfe97cd6114e92f9470db30bee9bb.jpeg

Smoked Old Fashion with gold flakes:

5DEB603D-4ECC-4FC1-915E-7FA48298B0C8.thumb.jpeg.b6486c933995b41f1e9b23d6791e20bd.jpeg

Chimay Ale DBH:38BD49FE-7314-4BD3-B89C-FF02BC9BCC4B.thumb.jpeg.dd5ea601ce444945fc1192db4887baa3.jpeg

Larry and I upgraded to the PBP (premium beverage package) on the Bliss Pacific Coastal.   We really enjoyed the experience although it was a little muddied by the fact that the last two days were spent in Canadian waters and only one bar could be open on each deck.   On the fall Pacific Coastal they were able to have two bars open per deck, this spring just one.  Not NCL's fault and you could still get drinks but it wasn't as smooth a process.

During the week we had several glasses of Veuve Clicquot and full bottles at two meals.  Le Bistro was perfect but the Ocean Blue experience was the only disappointment on the cruise.   6:00 reservation, lots of  empty tables but we were seated in the small section to the side where the other tables were occupied by families with many small children.   Before we ordered I asked for a quieter location (Larry hates that) and they did move us to a small table in the main section.  We were celebrating so ordered a bottle of Veuve Clicquot and it was brought to us along with two white wine glasses .... didn't want to complain about the glasses after asking to be moved but darn....bubbles were not the same.  When we went to refill our glasses discovered waiter had put the cork less bottle in bucket with no ice in it.  Another server brought us ice for the bucket.  If we had paid the $99 I might have asked for a new bottle.  Have no recollection of what we ate at Ocean Blue and doubt we'll try it again.

Didn't mean to get negative.   We enjoyed the Sauvignon Blanc Pascal Jolivet "Clos du Roy" (#215), the Spellbound Petite Sirah, the 2016 Simi Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon.   One french Pinot Noir was a failure and we couldn't drink it.  It was replaced without a problem by a different bottle of wine.  Our favorite thing about the package was ordering the same drink made with different premium spirits and doing our own side by side taste testings.  I loved the Botanist Gin, the Ciroc Vodka and the Wyland Rum and had several drinks throughout the week made with them.  Because the package was so new if server was new to me I'd say I have the PBP and would like so and so made with such and such.   We went to the Cavern Club two different nights for the Britain's Finest shows - walked in about half hour early got great seats in second row and ordered drink from their bar while we waited.  They don't serve during the show but no problem getting a second before show started.   Wonderful bar waitress Nussara Suryyo remembered what we liked after our first drink order and took care of us both nights as well as during the day in the Observation Lounge.  She has great personality and beautiful smile .... look her up if you're on the Bliss.   At home we rarely go to Starbucks although I enjoy it and it was so nice to have Starbucks on the ship and included in the package. 

If it were a long port intensive cruise because of the extra cost I would not do the beverage package upgrade but for a short kick back cruise like the Pacific Coastal it was perfect.  It was our second time on the Bliss and we really love the Observation Lounge.  Spent time there every day and some evenings, drink in hand enjoying the surroundings and the view. 

• Like 1

I love reading what people order when they upgrade to the premium plus.  I've never tried Veuve Clicquot.  Is is sweet or dry?  At $99 bucks a bottle, it might be worth it just to get this...but not if it's sweet.  😐  Also, thank you for the pics and continued feedback on experiences.  As mom and I will be in the Haven, I wonder if the concierge can do the upgrade for us?

3 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I love reading what people order when they upgrade to the premium plus.  I've never tried Veuve Clicquot.  Is is sweet or dry?  At $99 bucks a bottle, it might be worth it just to get this...but not if it's sweet.  😐  Also, thank you for the pics and continued feedback on experiences.  As mom and I will be in the Haven, I wonder if the concierge can do the upgrade for us?

Honestly I wish I could upgrade (but DW would never allow us to pay $500 for a week - she doesn’t drink very much, and isn’t a wine snob.  Moscato and flavored rum is basically all she drinks).  But man if I could, I’d be tasting all the different scotches and would definitely get my money’s worth by the end of the week.

44 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Honestly, treat yourself to a 37$ bottle at home one time and see if you like it first before splurging just for that. It is not sweet. I actually  prefer a Moet, but drink Vueve without complaint. :) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Yes, the concierge or actually the concierge assistant added ours and printed new cards.

Our biggest challenge was learning to say “Veuve Clicquot”. It is not too sweet, but definitely not dry.

Our cards after adding the PPB:

B2AC51FD-9073-469B-8309-071450261222.thumb.jpeg.c43936f6dea63818cb5da1a7a40e57f3.jpeg

We misplaced a card and had it re-printed at Guest Services. They left off PBP, which made more sense to us since it was replaced with the PPB :

19A40E02-F816-47C1-A703-CC6A2726EEA5.thumb.jpeg.4208213a98a9f5e65d527f973780e5f9.jpeg

Edited by aero777

20 minutes ago, aero777 said:

We misplaced a card and had it re-printed at Guest Services. They left off PBP, which made more sense to us since it was replaced with the PPB :

Definitely a better way to do it, and if I get it again I will ask for the card to read that way. When we had it, our cards read PBP-3UDP-PPB, which many bartenders mis-read since they focused only on the PBP part.  

48 minutes ago, kfnesq said:

Definitely a better way to do it, and if I get it again I will ask for the card to read that way. When we had it, our cards read PBP-3UDP-PPB, which many bartenders mis-read since they focused only on the PBP part.  

You’re exactly right. Just having PPB made it clearer which package we had. To bad we didn’t get this card until day 7, by then the bartenders already knew us.

On a different note, if you like to drink and you sail the Joy, or in the future Encore, stay away from the Galaxy Pavillon. We came away with huge headaches and slightly nauseated, and we were docked at the time! Fortunately, this was late on day 7 so it had minimal impact on our enjoyment of the PPB.

12 minutes ago, cruiseallways said:

We are sailing on the Gem and have the drink package. Can just one of us upgrade to the premium plus package as I don't drink much. Thanks

Unfortunately not.  Both in the cabin have to upgrade.

10 hours ago, AlexandNessa said:

Honestly, treat yourself to a 37$ bottle at home one time and see if you like it first before splurging just for that. It is not sweet. I actually  prefer a Moet, but drink Vueve without complaint. 🙂

I wish it was $37 where I live. 

It is $79 Cdn ($60 U.S)in the liquor stores where I am.

15 minutes ago, pixiedust777 said:

I wish it was $37 where I live. 

It is $79 Cdn ($60 U.S)in the liquor stores where I am.

If I read correctly, AlexandNessa live in NJ.  I'm a liquor and wine distributor in NJ, and Clicquot sells for no less than $48.99 in the state.  If it were $37, I'd be drinking it too! 😉 I prefer Louis Roederer Brut Premier personally, but its all personal preference.  I'll have NO issue at all drinking Clicquot, or especially the Feuillate Rose when I upgrade!!!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Haven't read anything about the premium plus package in a while now, and I do apologize if I missed something recently, but does anyone have any recent info on this? 

Is it still offered? If so, still same price, same inclusions? 

Thank you very much in advance for any information. 

7 hours ago, roxette said:

Haven't read anything about the premium plus package in a while now, and I do apologize if I missed something recently, but does anyone have any recent info on this? 

Is it still offered? If so, still same price, same inclusions? 

Thank you very much in advance for any information. 

From what I've read and seen, it is an upcharge from the Premium Beverage Package (formerly known as Ultimate Beverage Package) for $29 PP/PD Plus Grats.  I believe it is only an upcharge on non-open bar cruises.  I took the PBP as a "Free at Sea" and will upgrade on the ship to the PPBP.  My wife was on the Sky recently, which was an Open Bar cruise, and the PPBP was a "Free at Sea" Perk, plus grats..

On 6/5/2019 at 9:41 AM, AlexandNessa said:

Honestly, treat yourself to a 37$ bottle at home one time and see if you like it first before splurging just for that. It is not sweet. I actually  prefer a Moet, but drink Vueve without complaint. 🙂

37?  Where. It’s at least 48 where I live

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...