Icon of the Seas Blocks Are In The House!

Does anyone know if these loungers are free to use or are they one of the ones you have to pay extra for? I was thinking I’d be spending all my time in the adult only area but man, this view.  If they’re free, good thing I am an early riser so I. A snag one. Will be interesting to see how they plan to handle the chogs on this ship. 

E0C644BB-7D5D-48DA-98BE-0834156C78EE.jpeg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

Yes I am and will certainly get it no matter where they designate it.  Doesn't really matter to me where...and didn't you just say Hideaway is now Adult only...duh.  Some people can be extremely rude and presumptuous...never assume.  I am perfectly happy with my "selection".  And I read the article.

Totally agree. Sailing with two best friends and after watching that 30 minute video, I don’t think I want to sleep while cruising this ship! So many different areas to check out and see. So glad we decided to go big and book this ship early on before the prices jumped. I’m usually one who books for itinerary over ship but this time, we are sailing for the ship and I can’t wait. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, erby2283 said:

Does anyone know if these loungers are free to use or are they one of the ones you have to pay extra for? 

No, my friend, unfortunately, they are not free 😞. Here's a screenshot for our upcoming Icon cruise this March. They are sold out for our cruise at $350 a pop (we did not buy one).

image.thumb.png.cd4c7853dae0c3a4154e1d2f532bc7c9.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, mramella said:

No, my friend, unfortunately, they are not free 😞. Here's a screenshot for our upcoming Icon cruise this March. They are sold out for our cruise at $350 a pop (we did not buy one).

People are crackers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, mramella said:

Thank you. 

And hope someone gets a more detailed view of Hideaway Beach as well. 

I have my reservations about the beds in Hideaway pool though.  Would you pay that price and then have peeps all around you in the pool? hanging in front of your view and such?  They may need to rethink that.  Also the beds in front of the high rise area.  Why wouldn't you want one of the loungers above their heads anyway!  Never liked any of those beds...too hard to get in and out of.

Edited by BecciBoo

On 1/13/2024 at 9:08 AM, BecciBoo said:

..supposition and speculation don't hold water.  The whole idea is absurd.  They have had no trouble enforcing "No children under 16" for many years. Cloud 17 was designed for adults only, I don't see that changing.  There is a bar right there and no word sanctioned by RCCL about this speculated "change".  As for the Hideaway pool, there isn't room for kids etc.  There won't be any kids up there, no attraction to them.  They'll either be at the slides or Surfside. As for a Solarium, it looks like the Overlook area is meant to take that place and children certainly would not want to frequent that area even without a pool. Not worried at all.  And again, lots of critical glass half empty folks around and they haven't even been on the ship...sheeeeesh. 

glass half full.half empty.png

Looks like the switch is official: https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/royal-caribbean-icon-of-the-seas-news

2 minutes ago, cr2000 said:

Yeah, not really happy about that. While knowing this ship would attract mostly families, I booked this itinerary with Cloud 17 in mind knowing we'd have a really nice adults only area away from the noise of the kids. I'll roll with the punches and I am sure I'll find a nice spot that will make me happy but of all their changes, this makes me sad.  I'm gonna need Jay Schneider's email address and in the words of Jack from Titanic "send a strongly worded letter."...lol... Not that he'll care. 😃

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, erby2283 said:

Yeah, not really happy about that. While knowing this ship would attract mostly families, I booked this itinerary with Cloud 17 in mind knowing we'd have a really nice adults only area away from the noise of the kids. I'll roll with the punches and I am sure I'll find a nice spot that will make me happy but of all their changes, this makes me sad.  I'm gonna need Jay Schneider's email address and in the words of Jack from Titanic "send a strongly worded letter."...lol... Not that he'll care. 😃

I think if you're traveling outside of Holidays (Thanksgiving/Christmas), school vacation weeks (Feb/April) or over the summer (May-August), you'll be fine. Otherwise, the way the ship is designed and marketed makes it very much a family oriented cruise (lots and lots of kids - think Disney), which is not ideal to couples or honeymoon travelers. I know it's unpopular to say, but when the majority of kids on the cruise equals or exceeds the number of adults (i.e. mostly families) couple/singles travelers are going to be hard pressed to have any "adult-only" rules enforced. Just have to roll with it...

1 minute ago, cr2000 said:

I think if you're traveling outside of Holidays (Thanksgiving/Christmas), school vacation weeks (Feb/April) or over the summer (May-August), you'll be fine. Otherwise, the way the ship is designed and marketed makes it very much a family oriented cruise (lots and lots of kids - think Disney), which is not ideal to couples or honeymoon travelers. I know it's unpopular to say, but when the majority of kids on the cruise equals or exceeds the number of adults (i.e. mostly families) couple/singles travelers are going to be hard pressed to have any "adult-only" rules enforced. Just have to roll with it...

Thank you. We're traveling first week of May - a cruise if what you make of it so I'm sure we'll still have an amazing time. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cr2000 said:

Yes, let’s give all the prime real estate over to “family-friendly” areas while giving adults the shaft. This sounds more like a Great Wolf Lodge at sea rather than a cruise ship. One more reason to avoid.

32 minutes ago, TheHawk1 said:

Yes, let’s give all the prime real estate over to “family-friendly” areas while giving adults the shaft. This sounds more like a Great Wolf Lodge at sea rather than a cruise ship. One more reason to avoid.

The Hideaway is a larger space overlooking the aft, with its own bar and a larger seating area that includes pool loungers and dry seating couches/chairs. 

Doesn't exactly sound like the shaft.  It also seems like it would be easier to police an area at the end of the ship as oppose to a pool area where people would use the walkaway alongside it to get to coastal kitchen, suites all day long. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SUgwoz said:

The Hideaway is a larger space overlooking the aft, with its own bar and a larger seating area that includes pool loungers and dry seating couches/chairs. 

Doesn't exactly sound like the shaft.  It also seems like it would be easier to police an area at the end of the ship as oppose to a pool area where people would use the walkaway alongside it to get to coastal kitchen, suites all day long. 

Indeed, also (and I think RC/Jason will never say it publicly), this change and the proximity of Cloud 17 to the suites on 16/17 gives suite guests/families an additional (semi-exclusive) pool. This helps address the shameful size pool/bathtub they put up on the suite deck - frankly a huge miss on the part of RC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruise1957 said:

Tomorrow she will be in Coco Cay with Wonder I hope someone posts a photo of them side by side, it will be interesting to see the difference in size.

Please someone do this!!  I'd love to see aerial shots as well.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 11:52 PM, JCDCA said:

How is he part of the “leadership conference?”  Royal must have desperately needed some good PR, fluff pieces with zero journalistic credibility.  

Omg, no debbie downers please!  Adorable golden that will be pampered and loved then go home to be loved up at some exec's home.  Wish Rover could be a fixture on board.  So far everything looks amazing!!  Might not be for all,  but let those of us enjoying this to have fun watching!

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:46 PM, Jumping Cruiser said:

A key point made in a news article today, Cloud 17 and The Hideaway have switched purposes. The Hideaway is now adults only, while Cloud 17 is open to everyone. RCI say that some of the reasons were:

- The naming of ‘Hideaway Beach’ at PDCC - keeping ‘Hideaway’ branding consistent.

- It no longer made sense to have prime real estate closed off to families, especially as Icon offers the ‘Ultimate Family Vacation’. (This confuses me, as it sure made sense over the past few years 🤔).

In my eyes, they can better promote ‘The Hideaway’ as a beach club vibe, if it’s adults-only. Also, paid-for loungers and daybeds may appeal more towards those that would usually buy a cabana, but looking for adults only. As always though, many will be disappointed with the change. Just to add, it wouldn’t surprise me if ‘The Hideaway’ as a whole became an added-cost eventually, you know…. To keep it consistent. 😂

Hi.  I think this news article is confusing "the hideaway" pool with Hideaway Beach on Cococay.   Hideaway Beach is adults only as is Cloud 17 pool.  Unless they changed something drastically and that would take a lot more than one article: it would be a PR nightmare.  In fact Matt stated that Cloud 17 was adults only in his video...

30 minutes ago, topanga49er said:

Hi.  I think this news article is confusing "the hideaway" pool with Hideaway Beach on Cococay.   Hideaway Beach is adults only as is Cloud 17 pool.  Unless they changed something drastically and that would take a lot more than one article: it would be a PR nightmare.  In fact Matt stated that Cloud 17 was adults only in his video...

Sounds like it is a done deal but no complaints; both are great spots.  Also not sure why people are complaining about suite sundeck.  I went back and relooked at Wonder's vs this to make sure I was remembering right, and I was.  Suite sundeck on Icon is two levels, vs one on Wonder.  Also Matt's video looks pretty bare and seems to only show deck 19: compared to the illustration, it probably has not been fully done up w greenery and furniture. I am sure it will look amazing! (Tried to upload a screenshot, but it didn't work, sorry. ) And from what I recall the "suite pool" on wonder was a glorified hot tub.  So as Becky said, you can look at this either glass half full or half empty.  Either way not fair to judge until she is revenue sailing!!  I am sure those suite decks will be gorgeous and cannot wait to enjoy!!!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SUgwoz said:

I’m actually not so sure about that. Here’s a comparison of the Hideaway to Cloud 17. I couldn’t even fit all of Cloud 17 in the screen shot. Look at the number of loungers compared to what’s in the Hideaway. Plus, (and I’m a non-smoker), the smoking section is adjacent to Cloud 17. There’s only one way into Cloud 17 (I think) from either end so it shouldn’t be that hard to limit access to children. 

As I said in an earlier post, as a woman sailing with 2 of her best friends, we really were looking forward to having the Cloud 17 area. We understand this ship is marketed to families but having this nice-sized adult only area was a nice selling point for us and I’d be lying if I said this wasn’t disappointing. But we’ll still make the best of it. 

51D6529B-BC18-4BC5-B3DA-AAD567DC99F0.jpeg

9B8DE960-E635-4896-A6B2-F2FB8494D0AD.jpeg