First time cruiser with a couple carnval questions

zeph918

Set up to go to bermuda in september for our first cruise.   Had some questions and Ill admit they are probably common knowledge so I apologize.   Im doing all of this planning on my own because its going to be a suprise for my wife and our annivesary.    Sorry for the wall of questions but I do appreciate the help.   We are going to be on the Breeze. 

1.  When will I know a schedule for things like shows, movies, and others that will be happening on the ship?

2.  When will I know if its elegant night and how many of those there are?   Its a 7 day cruise, need to know what to buy and pack for!

3.  I dont understand dining.   All the places like guys burger joint all have food.   Am I correct in assuming that is mainly used for lunch?

4.  We have late dining scheduled and I know that takes place in the Blush dining area every night since the Sapphire room is for early dining.   Does the menu change or how does it not get old?

5.  Lastly, with having all the little joints for lunch, and then the main dining rooms or specialty dining options, what is the purpose of the lido deck buffet?

6.  When you are docked at a port, do people normally go back to the ship for lunch and dinner and then exit the ship again to enjoy the beach some more?   Is it a pain to get on and off the ship like that?

7.  Laundry.   Research says there are a few coin laundry machines on the ship but it seems like they would be always in use.   Since its a 7 day cruise and then having to pack special clothing for elegant nights, it would be nice to NOT have to pack 7 full changes of clothes on top of elegant stuff especially when considering airline baggage fees and lugging everything around.   I thought about washing clothes by hand in the sink or shower as frugal ad that may sound.   Im sure laundry services can get expensive.  

58 minutes ago, zeph918 said:

1.  When will I know a schedule for things like shows, movies, and others that will be happening on the ship?

The FunTimes, the daily schedule of events that you receive in your room each night and available upon embarkation, and the hub app, will list all that for you.  If you do a google search for the FunTimes, you'll see some examples.  Some reviews and posts here also have them.

2.  When will I know if its elegant night and how many of those there are?   Its a 7 day cruise, need to know what to buy and pack for!

A seven day cruise usually has 2.  The first sea day is usually the first, the second one depends on your itinerary.  That will be in your FunTimes.  

3.  I dont understand dining.   All the places like guys burger joint all have food.   Am I correct in assuming that is mainly used for lunch?

Yes and no.  Guys, Blue Iguana Cantina, Mongolian Wok, and the ships particular venues are open for lunch and into the afternoon.  The deli is open until later.  Pizza is always available.  The times for opening and closing are in the FunTimes.

4.  We have late dining scheduled and I know that takes place in the Blush dining area every night since the Sapphire room is for early dining.   Does the menu change or how does it not get old?

You'll get your dining room and table assignment upon embarkation.  Parts of the menu change every day, and part stays the same.  On a 7 day cruise, it will not get old.

5.  Lastly, with having all the little joints for lunch, and then the main dining rooms or specialty dining options, what is the purpose of the lido deck buffet?

Just another place to eat for included in the price food.  You might want to eat fast or just grab a bite, or you might not want to wear shorts on elegant night (although people do), or you might not want the hubbub of the dining room but don't want to pay for a specialty restaurant.

6.  When you are docked at a port, do people normally go back to the ship for lunch and dinner and then exit the ship again to enjoy the beach some more?   Is it a pain to get on and off the ship like that?

This will be for you to decide.  Time in port can vary from just a few hours to all day.   It can be a bit of a pain to get on and off like you mention, a lot of wasted time for a port with a tender.  Many look forward to eating off the ship.  Some meals are included with excursions.  Some take snacks with them.

7.  Laundry.   

First timers tend to overpack.  You could be very happy with your elegant clothes and just some T-shirts and shorts for the rest of it if you wanted.  I've never used the laundry facilities, but never heard complaints about crowds there.  There is an economical laundry special which to me is worthwhile--I use for clothes that can take abuse.  I use the service basically to take clean clothes home.

Edited by naxer
spelling

6 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

1.  I agree with fyree39.  You can also download Carnival's Hub. The Hub also shows menus, which the FunTimes does not.

2.  I'm with fyree39, not sure which nights, but there will be 2 elegant nights on a 7-day cruise.

3.  There is the breakfast buffet on the Lido deck, along with the Bluelguena.

4.  The Lido deck is also an option, if you do not want to eat in the dining room.

5.  Again, I agree with fyree39. 😊

6.  Sometimes the beach is too far to come/go back to. Most times we eat out and then come back in time for dinner.

7.  I only use the laundry room iron a few items. 

The buffet on the lido deck is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  Guy's Burgers and the Mexican stand by the main pool are open for lunch, but close at dinner time. Some people choose to eat a quick meal at the buffet for dinner instead of going to the main dining room.

My husband and I cruise with carry-on bags on Carnival.  I wash a load of clothes midway through the cruise.  There are several laundry rooms on the ship and I always figure out where they are ahead of time.  They are usually more crowded at the end of the cruise.  I've always been able to find a machine.

My husband and I  eat breakfast on the ship, then go explore a port or go on excursion, then we eat a late lunch on the ship.  The exception is if we are having a beach day.  We will eat whatever is available near the beach.  Many people love eating off of the ship at the different ports.  

Edited by TNcruising02

14 minutes ago, naxer said:

Yes, first time cruise will over pack - I did!   Don't read too much into Elegant Night.  A nice dress (wife) and a pair of dress pants & shirt (hubby) -  a tie, if you like.

Don't picture the buffet on the Lido deck as one loooong station/area. It is broken up into several different ones that you can explore.  Guys and the Mexican area are out by the pool while other areas are inside. Pizza and deli and Mongolian wok (and maybe several others) are scattered along that same deck. Some are inside and some outside depending on your ship.

You will get all the information about activities each night, You can either read the paper Fun Times or download an app that will tell you what's available.

I would tell your wife before you leave as she will want to pack her own things!!!

Good answers shared already, but you should also download the Carnival Hub app to your phone before you cruise.  The Fun Times, menus, ship maps, and tons of other great info are available.  You do not need to purchase on internet plan to use it onboard.  You can preload the app, but you won't be able to access its features until you are actually onboard.

Wow,  I love those questions, to be a new cruiser again!!!

Be ready to go with the flow also, the thing about cruising is you can do as little or as much as you want to and sometimes things change. 

I personally wouldnt waste any of my first cruise doing laundry. I also wouldnt spend time going back to the ship to eat while in Bermuda. Id research where im going and look to see if there's a place I'd like to try. 

Its your cruise though, have fun!

It is nice when docked in Bermuda, especially if you're there the 3 days - 2 nights, it's easy to come and go as you please.  The only time it may not be convenient to return to the ship for lunch would be if you're across the island. 

What's great with the multiple days docked, you can plan your days and truly enjoy the island without feeling rushed.

Edited by aztekpm

55 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I'm very, very disappointed that self serve laundry won't be on the Mardi Gras.

I have never used the laundry room on any cruise, but I don’t understand why they won’t have them on Mardi Gras. The only thing I can think of is it will force people to spend more money to have laundry done on the ship by Carnival???

6 hours ago, zeph918 said:

Im gonna tell her 1 week ahead of time

1 week!  Some of us women need at least 2 weeks. 😅 Let your wife know, she don't need to bring ALL of her shoes. Beach & sea days -flip flops for the day & for the Lido deck, if you're having dinner there. Comfortable walking shoes/sneakers for excursions (carry flip flops in beach bag).  I would suggest a pair of shoes to wear elegant and any other night for dinner in the dining room. 

4 hours ago, fyree39 said:

That's what I was thinking.  They can add cabins and increase revenue. I'm trying to stay positive about Carnival since my husband likes the line so much.  I have my work cut out for me. lol

I don't do laundry when I'm on vacation, but for those who do, no public laundry rooms on the Mardi Gras - that sucks!

5 hours ago, fyree39 said:

Many people are like you and say there's no way they'd do this type of chore on a vacation. I've packed exactly what I needed for a cruise then had a food accident that made one outfit unwearable without washing.  After 15 or so cruises I got tired of packing a huge suitcase for a 7 day cruise and decided I could actually do a load of laundry, pack a little less, and not worry if something got soiled halfway through the cruise. So, if a cruiser would like to do laundry, the option is there.

I'm very, very disappointed that self serve laundry won't be on the Mardi Gras.

Yikes, a food accident.  If possible, I would wash in sink and hang in bathroom - unless they're pants! 😮

7 hours ago, riffatsea said:

Don't picture the buffet on the Lido deck as one loooong station/area. It is broken up into several different ones that you can explore.  Guys and the Mexican area are out by the pool while other areas are inside. Pizza and deli and Mongolian wok (and maybe several others) are scattered along that same deck. Some are inside and some outside depending on your ship.

You will get all the information about activities each night, You can either read the paper Fun Times or download an app that will tell you what's available.

I would tell your wife before you leave as she will want to pack her own things!!!

The Carnival app is the Hub.  You can download it now and use as a count down clock.  Once on board the ship, follow the Hub instructions for everything happening on the ship.  There is a "chat" feature that you pay $5 per device for the whole cruise.

On Carnival's website, at the bottom, under "Already Booked", click on Carnival's HUB, it explains how it works.

Here's a copy of a FunTimes, which will be delivered to your room each night for the next day.  Keep in mind, all FunTimes on the ships may vary. As I and others mentioned before, download the Carnival Hub app.  The only thing you can use it for is a countdown clock, until you board the ship.  FYI, the Hub app is useless in port, unless you're on the ship. You must be on the ship to see what's happening on the ship.

You being a first time cruiser, I would suggest attending the Welcome Aboard show. 

Other poster, please provide info on the "Welcome Aboard Show".  (My 1st cruise, no one told  me 😞).

FunTimes - C Breeze - 02 16 2019.pdf

4 hours ago, CoolOne56 said:

You being a first time cruiser, I would suggest attending the Welcome Aboard show. 

Other poster, please provide info on the "Welcome Aboard Show".  (My 1st cruise, no one told  me 😞).

FunTimes - C Breeze - 02 16 2019.pdf 9.9 MB · 447 downloads

The Welcome Aboard show is always worth attending in my book, although some shows are better than others based on the CD. I have 26 cruises on Carnival and more often than not, we go to this show. 

The show is always listed in Fun Times.  The OP should be familiar with Fun Times after reading all the responses in this thread. 

Edited by PhillyFan33579

13 hours ago, zeph918 said:

Awesome.   Thanks everyone.    This really helps.

The Fun Times, which you receive the night before each day, will become your best friend. Has every show, every activity, every open and close time for bars and restaurants, etc for the next day. 

People have mentioned the carnival app. That too is great and you can download it before the cruise. But it won’t work until you’re onboard when you put your phone on airplane mode and turn on their WiFi. It’s $5 for the whole week. 

Edited by RRLLAL

I’m a new cruiser myself! I’ve got just one under my belt! Lol. Looking forward to our next one in October. Just took one & now I’m hooked & convinced every vacation should be on a cruise! I just got into watching the Cruise Tips Tv channel on YouTube, they have amazing advice & perspective there! I highly recommend checking that out!

Sometimes you can see someone post a few recent things with schedules & stuff. What I found is that activities were pretty much variations of trivia/games/dance lessons etc. At so many points of the day, then shows/movies at night. It was all fun. My hubby & I tend to like to relax & read, which we did a ton of (loved the Serenity clam shells), but we did join in a few movies & trivia sessions (I love trivia).

Basically the Lido deck is one giant buffet restaurant, broken into different areas & styles. We didn’t have a Guy’s, but I’m getting the vibe it’s similar, just another option. I think this is mainly used for lunch & breakfast (and 2nd breakfast lol). We preferred the main dining room anytime it was available, because I love breakfast food, & who ever gets the chance to have a nice, served breakfast every day?! That’s just my style. I still liked the food at the buffet too! There’s so many options, we didn’t even get to try everything in 7 days!

On that note, I loved the main dining room for dinner. The menu does change! Almost too much, because there were a few appetizers I wanted to have again! They have the basics pretty much every night, but the appetizers, main dishes, & desserts change nightly. I personally loved having the classic cruise experience of getting your same wait staff every night. It was nice to have a nice restaurant “date night” ever night. They will post the dinner menu every day, so you can kind of get an idea of what you want or if it would be a night to skip. We never did, we loved it all.

I will also add, I really enjoyed having the late dining, even though it seems late. It was so nice not having to rush to get get ready. We could take our time, didn’t have to get back to our cabin until like 6 or 7 depending. It made some of the shows & movies a little trickier to navigate, but we just kind of planned ahead to what we really wanted. And now I know, those could have been buffet or lido times.

You will have a blast! It’s so much fun!

You picked a great destination for your first cruise...staying in bermuda for a while is so different then a new island at every stop...take the boat to st georges and go to tobacco bay....there is a bar with tasty food and delicious hibiscus tea...it is shallow aways out and then you can snorkel along the rocks...great rock formations...one of my favorite places in over 20 years of cruising...take a cab back to the swizzle inn and have bemuda chowder and an awesome fish sandwich with your rum drink....way better than most of the food on the ship... twice a local has offered us a ride from the beach to the swizzle..maybe you'll get lucky!..have a wonderful time...give your wife 2 weekends so she has time to shop!...we only take carryon but the first few times you will over pack...

1.  When will I know a schedule for things like shows, movies, and others that will be happening on the ship? There will be a Fun Times in your room when you board with information on the first day and weekly highlights (like when the elegant nights  are and port schedules ), and a Fun Times will be delivered each night for the next day. On most ships (if not all now) this  information is also on the HUB, your Carnival ship's website. You can download this on your cellphone before embarkation or once aboard before the ship sails. 

7 day cruises have 2 elegant nights, and may vary with the ship's itinerary, but  never the first or last night.  Fun times or Hub will have this info.

3.  I dont understand dining.   All the places like guys burger joint all have food.   Am I correct in assuming that is mainly used for lunch?  The various restaurants are open at different hours, all published in the Fun Times/Hub.

There is a different Menu each night.

5.  Lastly, with having all the little joints for lunch, and then the main dining rooms or specialty dining options, what is the purpose of the lido deck buffet? See #3. The Main Lido Buffet is a Cafeteria- style option .

This is what we usually do in docked ports ( where you an just walk off the ship on a dock or pier).  Some ports are tender ports (where you must take a smaller boat to get to land) and are not as easy on-off.  Check the Ports of Call board on this site to find out if your port is a tender port. (I think Carnival's Website also has this information).

7.  Laundry.   Research says there are a few coin laundry machines on the ship but it seems like they would be always in use.   Since its a 7 day cruise and then having to pack special clothing for elegant nights, it would be nice to NOT have to pack 7 full changes of clothes on top of elegant stuff especially when considering airline baggage fees and lugging everything around.   I thought about washing clothes by hand in the sink or shower as frugal ad that may sound.   I'm sure laundry services can get expensive. 

You'll find you do not need as many clothes as you think. Sea days you'll  mostly be in your bathing suit and coverup (t-shirt for men);  I have found I can rewear most  things. I bring mix and match tops and bottoms.  The ship usually runs a special on laundry mid-cruise.