Updates RE: Unlimited VS. Ultimate dining package

I'd love a current update as well!

I've got some friends/family who are interested in doing Izumi each night before another specialty dining for some pregame sushi!  We're booked on Ovation at the end of the month with the Unlimited/Ultimate package. 

LOL!!! No, I am referring to booking, and what restaurants were included.  I am hoping that hibachi is included, lunch embarkation is included, and basically if the specialty restaurant is open, regardless of lunch or dinner hours or sea or port days, the  use of the package would be permitted.  Also, if vintages was permitted would be awesome as well:-)

6 minutes ago, Maddycakes said:

LOL!!! No, I am referring to booking, and what restaurants were included.  I am hoping that hibachi is included, lunch embarkation is included, and basically if the specialty restaurant is open, regardless of lunch or dinner hours or sea or port days, the  use of the package would be permitted.  Also, if vintages was permitted would be awesome as well:-)

Ok, I understand your thoughts about lunch time meals, but I believe that the specialty restaurants are not open on port days. 

I was on Mariner recently and thought I'd seen JRs open for lunch on the Nassau day in prior Compasses, but they were not open so it was not available for using (buffet was very good, I didn't have much interest anyway.)

Despite a few references to Bamboo Room being included, we did not find this to be the case.  Previously cruise compasses had showed it open lunch-ish times but it was not open embarkation day until maybe 6pm.  Even in the evening, the food I'd hoped to have as an appetizer well ahead of 9pm specialty reservations did not work out, they said not included in unlimited plan.

Hibachi was included.  Playmakers was included.

I believe the wording on the website allows for two entrees (cannot imagine) but the waiter's description at Chops for what we allowed to get is the same as previous plans, limit to one entry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SAmome said:

I was on Mariner recently and thought I'd seen JRs open for lunch on the Nassau day in prior Compasses, but they were not open so it was not available for using (buffet was very good, I didn't have much interest anyway.)

Despite a few references to Bamboo Room being included, we did not find this to be the case.  Previously cruise compasses had showed it open lunch-ish times but it was not open embarkation day until maybe 6pm.  Even in the evening, the food I'd hoped to have as an appetizer well ahead of 9pm specialty reservations did not work out, they said not included in unlimited plan.

I believe the wording on the website allows for two entrees (cannot imagine) but the waiter's description at Chops for what we allowed to get is the same as previous plans, limit to one entry.

Very useful information!

7 hours ago, Maddycakes said:

I was just looking to see if anyone had posted updates. Thanks for the post! Hopefully we see more reviews as a few cruises will have passed with the Unlimited plan. 

5 hours ago, SAmome said:

That's how they are going to get around the lunch "when available"  They  just start to open the restaurants later

Edited by molly361

23 hours ago, Maddycakes said:

I contacted Royal about what was included - here's the reply I received. I'm sailing Independence in a month so can report back our experience.

Yes, Izumi Hibachi is now part of the Unlimited Dining Package, subject to availability. I hope you will enjoy all the benefits of this Dining Package! Please let us know if you have any questions about this or if we can help in any other way.

We are delighted that you have purchased our Unlimited Dining Package so that you can enjoy specialty dining at discounted rates! Izumi Sushi, Playmakers Sports Bar & Arcade, and Fish & Ships are a la carte options, and as you may know, your Unlimited Dining Package provides a $35 credit towards your food purchases in those venues. On the Independence of the Seas, Johnny Rockets has a cover charge of $9.95 per person, and you may use your Unlimited Dining Package there. Regrettably, Vintages is not considered a specialty dining venue for purposes of our dining packages, and we are very sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

• Like 1

I just got off of Mariner and used the unlimited package at Playmakers for lunch on a port day.  They opened at about 130 and we ordered wings and nachos.  Our receipt showed the cost of the items we ordered but then showed an equivalent amount listed as discount. This is differnt than the way the DBP works in that if you do get a receipt it shows the cost as 0.00.  That night we went to Izumi Hibachi and were told that everything was included in the UDP except the sushi.  I was able to order Steak and Chicken meal and there was no extra cost or $35 cap.  Our bill, when it came, showed a 0 cost for each line item and only a line for tip.

For those that have asked questions about embarkation lunch when you already haver The Key program.  I asked at Chops, since I have the UDP, could I order from the traditional lunch menu instead of the "The Key" reduced lunch menu and was told no.  However, if I wanted to forgo "The Key" lunch included in that package I would have been able to go strait over to Jamies and have their full lunch menu.  Also, if I wanted I could eat at Chops then go over to Jamies and order their lunch menu and eat that also.  They could not guarantee medical attention should I collapse into a food coma from eating like a Boa Constrictor.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you for sharing. I am also curious about the sushi exception.  I will have to bring a printout with me when I use my dining package.  We have the 4 night package, not the UDP.  I will be highly disappointed if we can’t use our $35 credit for sushi.  

19 minutes ago, zooma said:

@Tree_skier -- thank you foresting about your Mariner experience. Was sushi always excluded at Izumi? I thought the $35 cap included sushi/sashimi (just not Hibachi, where that's available).

I was told when they handed us the menu that the all of the hibachi was included but the everything else on the menu would be extra.  I'm not a sushi eater so never thought to inquire beyond that. 

1 minute ago, Tree_skier said:

I was told when they handed us the menu that the all of the hibachi was included but the everything else on the menu would be extra.  I'm not a sushi eater so never thought to inquire beyond that. 

Ah...my mistake. I now see that you actually went to Izumi Hibachi and that makes sense re no sushi. The ship we're on next does not even have Hibachi, so they'd better include sushi!

5 minutes ago, zooma said:

Ah...my mistake. I now see that you actually went to Izumi Hibachi and that makes sense re no sushi. The ship we're on next does not even have Hibachi, so they'd better include sushi!

My suspicion based on my Playmakers experience is that it will.