Ovation May 2-24 RCCL Cancelling my second leg

Just got a call from RCCL saying I would not be able to stay on my second leg of the B2B because it would be a Jones Act violation...not stopping in a foreign country. However, the first cruise leaves from Hawaii and stops in both Victoria and Vancouver. I was given the choice of cancelling with a full refund or getting off in Victoria and ferrying over to Vancouver. The ferry option would be at my expense and I would have to pay for a hotel. I’m pissed! Waiting for a supervisor to call me back. Oh yea we fly out Wednesday morning at 5:45 am. 

Edited by mzlisap

1 minute ago, Flow Bro Ty said:

I Thought The Jones Act Only Applies To Sailings Out Of A Us Port. But You End In Canada. This Makes No Since?     

I thought the first itinerary ended in Vancouver and the second ended in Seattle, so the B2B is not allowed.

Unfortunately this happens EVERY year, usually within a month or two of the actual cruise dates. I don't understand why none of the cruise lines have an automated PVSA-compliance check when back-to-back bookings are made. Princess are the most guilty of this actually, but that's probably just because they have the most ships moving in to Vancouver/Seattle for the AK season!

There is literally nothing you can do - they have no choice but to cancel one of your cruises, or do the workaround that has been suggested (getting you, and all your stuff, off in Victoria means you now have two separate cruises, both of which go between Canada and the US or vice versa so the PVSA is not violated).

You might manage to convince them to refund you the cost of ferries from Victoria to Vancouver, but it's not likely - unfortunately the boiler-plate in all cruise contracts mean that YOU are the one responsible for compliance with Immigration, Customs etc. rules. Yes it sucks, but 'voting with your wallet' and changing lines in future won't prevent it happening - all lines suck at this aspect! Frankly it's a wonder they even do a batch process to flag illegal combos at all - I guess the bad press from you being kicked off at Vancouver and abandoned is too much for them to risk, but giving you a few days notice to rearrange your travel is a tolerable risk for them.

If you do decide to keep Cruise 2, and want advice on how to get yourselves from Victoria to Vancouver, feel free to come back and ask.

Edited by martincath

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Just crazy that this still happens.

Agreed, how hard would it be to create a pop-up that wouldn't allow it to be booked - by an individual or one of the RCCL reps if you called to book the B2B.  Wait, never mind, we're talking about royal's IT...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, mzlisap said:

Just got a call from RCCL saying I would not be able to stay on my second leg of the B2B because it would be a Jones Act violation...not stopping in a foreign country. However, the first cruise leaves from Hawaii and stops in both Victoria and Vancouver. I was given the choice of cancelling with a full refund or getting off in Victoria and ferrying over to Vancouver. The ferry option would be at my expense and I would have to pay for a hotel. I’m pissed! Waiting for a supervisor to call me back. Oh yea we fly out Wednesday morning at 5:45 am. 

Whoever called you should have known it was the PVSA and not the Jones Act.....and this should have been caught when you made the booking rather than now at this late date !!

• Like 2

WTH?? They wait until NOW to figure it out. I can see giving you some notice and time to figure this out, but to drop that bomb on you at this late notice is BS. They absolutely should reimburse for any expense to make it RIGHT!!

5 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Whoever called you should have known it was the PVSA and not the Jones Act.....and this should have been caught when you made the booking rather than now at this late date !!

Oh even better than that was she also said I could catch the ship in Australia.....I’ve got news for her it’s already left Australia!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I agree, I booked in November. They have had plenty of time. I just called CA Diamond Plus desk they said they have submitted it to a supervisor and they have flagged it as a priority. I mean come on now I leave Wednesday morning at 5:45 am. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, mzlisap said:

I agree, I booked in November. They have had plenty of time. I just called CA Diamond Plus desk they said they have submitted it to a supervisor and they have flagged it as a priority. I mean come on now I leave Wednesday morning at 5:45 am. 

Then expect a call from RCI after you leave....this is just crazy they've had 6 months...their booking system should not have been able to complete the booking linking them together....WTH :classic_angry:

17 minutes ago, mzlisap said:

Hey mzlisap, I've also responded to you on our roll call...

I hope our resident expert, ChengP, can chime in on this one. I believe from previous threads that a fine for violating the PVSA is $300. I don't know if there's further penalty to the cruise line. I'm 100% on your side on this one.... this is all on RCL's dime

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I thought the first itinerary ended in Vancouver and the second ended in Seattle, so the B2B is not allowed.

The may 13 sailing of Ovation departs Vancouver, BC and returns to Seattle, WA, USA 11 days later.

The are allowing people to get off on the night before in Vancouver

image.png.fedebb9d2754d9272830f901a269c00b.png

Edited by AlanF65

You know what Alan???.... I'm betting that if mzlisap stays in a hotel that night on land in Vancouver she'll be totally fine. She'll have to officially disembarked on May 12th (I assume logistics for immigration staffing, etc could be an issue at 8pm on a Sunday night).... and then embark the next day for a separate cruise.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

You know what Alan???.... I'm betting that if mzlisap stays in a hotel that night on land in Vancouver she'll be totally fine. She'll have to officially disembarked on May 12th (I assume logistics for immigration staffing, etc could be an issue at 8pm on a Sunday night).... and then embark the next day for a separate cruise.

There have been reports in the past that even leaving the ship for a day is still a violation and won’t be allowed. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Hey mzlisap, I've also responded to you on our roll call...

I hope our resident expert, ChengP, can chime in on this one. I believe from previous threads that a fine for violating the PVSA is $300. I don't know if there's further penalty to the cruise line. I'm 100% on your side on this one.... this is all on RCL's dime

Thank you!

If you do not get anywhere with  the supervisor I would send an email to Michael Bayley's office.  This is ridiculous that their agents would books this and they would wait  this long to inform you.

They should pay for your added costs to get off in Victoria and spend a night in a hotel.