O Air Question

bbtondo

50 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

FlyerTalker:  I have researched AA PE on the 772-777 config 2-4-2 in separate cabin with 3 rows and AA PE on An Airbus A330 config 2-3-2 in separate cabin 3 rows.  I've looked at utube videos and reviews.  I like the larger seats, food, drinks and amenities.  Is this the true prem economy you're speaking of?  These are not regular econ seats in the econ section with drinks and better food ex: Delta comfort.

I agree that I don't know exactly what Oceania means by  PE.  The cost of the flights if I go through O is:  $1,800 plus $800 for PE plus $350 for air deviation, equals $2,950 per couple roundtrip.  And, I may have to pay even more to get the flights I want with a possible upcharge after speaking to the air deviation dept.  I'm just not too comfortable with these unknowns,

On Tuesday April 23rd the flights I mentioned above in my dummy booking in PE was $2500 per couple roundtrip.  Today, a Sunday, those same flights are $3,669.  

So I ask, should I grab these flights that I want when the flight schedules come out if I can get them for $2,500 to $3,000 per couple roundtrip.  I'm assuming this is a good price, but as I've mentioned, I'm not familiar with prices to Europe. FYI I will be getting travel insurance.2

Thanks again everyone!

Hoping you have gone to seatguru.com as that site will give you the actual dimensions of the seats, leg room, and recommendations about the seats.  The configurations you have mentioned 2 4 2 and 2 3 2 do not seem like they will be much bigger than regular economy.  Recently did Business on A330 and we were 1 2 1 and not really that wide of seats.  The 777 does sound a bit better but, half the seats without direct aisle access doesn't sound very nice.

Try seat guru with the flight numbers and by configuration as lots of ways for airlines to configure similar planes.

18 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Hoping you have gone to seatguru.com as that site will give you the actual dimensions of the seats, leg room, and recommendations about the seats.  The configurations you have mentioned 2 4 2 and 2 3 2 do not seem like they will be much bigger than regular economy.  Recently did Business on A330 and we were 1 2 1 and not really that wide of seats.  The 777 does sound a bit better but, half the seats without direct aisle access doesn't sound very nice.

Try seat guru with the flight numbers and by configuration as lots of ways for airlines to configure similar planes.

Depending on the  777  you will only get 1 - 1.5" wider and 1" more leg room.... This is American at it s finest...  2-4-2.  A design  to get you  to be in touch with your fellow passengers.     As the inn keeper in Le Mis sang;   Welcone my friend,  travel is such a curse, here we endeavor to lighten your purse".    And WC fields said   "Never give a sucker and even break"........     The biggest con is prem economy... the  only premium is really the price$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$   CHECK  seatguru !!!!

5 hours ago, bbtondo said:

FlyerTalker:  I have researched AA PE on the 772-777 config 2-4-2 in separate cabin with 3 rows and AA PE on An Airbus A330 config 2-3-2 in separate cabin 3 rows.  I've looked at utube videos and reviews.  I like the larger seats, food, drinks and amenities.  Is this the true prem economy you're speaking of?  These are not regular econ seats in the econ section with drinks and better food ex: Delta comfort.

That is the PE product from AA.

One thing to note - most all cruiseline air promotions have a "capacity controlled" disclaimer in the fine print.  So remember that sometime you need to follow the "half a loaf is better than none" concept.

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I am not sure now that some American carriers have PE seats  maybe O will be using them in the future  but before it was European carriers they used  KLM. LH, AF, BA  & AC  with true PE seating

Sounds like you are not on a cruise with the special PE seats for  cheaper pricing

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/premium-economy-air/

It might be worth just asking  what flights they will give you with PE & Non stop if possible

then if you really want to fly AA  then ask for those

JMO

Again...look at the dimensions and specs of the seat... many only give you 1-2 inches more width and leg room.... they are basic  re-named coach seats re configured..... Do not assume there is a standard   THey are not baby business class... not even remotely  You can get taken for a ride you did not expect.  Selling you spam  and calling it pate

I've actually been on an AA flight that was in their new PE and it seems some folks here might have it confused with their Extra Main Cabin or whatever they call it. 

I was on a flight from DFW to AMS. It was non stop. The PE section and seats are pretty much on a par with Domestic First Class. There were 3 rows of seats on the plane we were on. I don't remember which number plane, but probably the 777 as I think it had a 2-4-2 setup.  They recline but certainly not real far. There is plenty of legroom. You get meals and drinks. You get a little amenity pouch, use of over the ear noise canceling headphones, (not as good as Bose) I did get FF miles for the trip on the ticket purchased by Oceania. 

At that time Oceania was charging 99 per person per way for PE. It was a great use of $400. I believe they are now charging $249 pp, per way. At an extra $1000 it makes you think twice or look at other options. 

Since we have included deviations that usually puts the math on our side to do our flights through O. 

We are in AA PE again in Sept ORD-CDG, going on a 788, back home from LIS connecting in LHR to a 789 and into ORD. The flight from LIS to LHR is on BA in economy. We paid $149 pp per way for this one. 

The TA flights appear to be on AA equipment. 

There is 6" to 7" more pitch than a standard seat BTW. While not a lie flat seat that is pretty substantial. Especially for anyone over 5' 10" or so. 

Edited by ORV

ORV:  Thanks so much for sharing your experience!  What you said is exactly what I've seen online while searching PE on AA on specific planes.  It looks good to me.

What I REALLY would like to know at this point is:  Is $2500 per couple roundtrip a good price from MIA-BCN nonstop, FCO-MIA one connection  in AA true PE seats.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, ORV said:

I've actually been on an AA flight that was in their new PE and it seems some folks here might have it confused with their Extra Main Cabin or whatever they call it. 

I was on a flight from DFW to AMS. It was non stop. The PE section and seats are pretty much on a par with Domestic First Class. There were 3 rows of seats on the plane we were on. I don't remember which number plane, but probably the 777 as I think it had a 2-4-2 setup.  They recline but certainly not real far. There is plenty of legroom. You get meals and drinks. You get a little amenity pouch, use of over the ear noise canceling headphones, (not as good as Bose) I did get FF miles for the trip on the ticket purchased by Oceania. 

At that time Oceania was charging 99 per person per way for PE. It was a great use of $400. I believe they are now charging $249 pp, per way. At an extra $1000 it makes you think twice or look at other options. 

Since we have included deviations that usually puts the math on our side to do our flights through O. 

We are in AA PE again in Sept ORD-CDG, going on a 788, back home from LIS connecting in LHR to a 789 and into ORD. The flight from LIS to LHR is on BA in economy. We paid $149 pp per way for this one. 

The TA flights appear to be on AA equipment. 

There is 6" to 7" more pitch than a standard seat BTW. While not a lie flat seat that is pretty substantial. Especially for anyone over 5' 10" or so. 

Well ORV.... the charts  and seat dimensions  dont show that   Mos domestic first class today is at 37-38" and terrible...  AA aboutPE 36"  Coach on AA is showing 30-34,     I just encourage  people  do some research on the actually dimensions   Flying from the east coast  6-7 hours to Europe is one thing  but long haul 10-12 hours from  the west coast is another..

3 hours ago, bbtondo said:

What I REALLY would like to know at this point is:  Is $2500 per couple roundtrip a good price from MIA-BCN nonstop, FCO-MIA one connection  in AA true PE seats.

Thanks!

JMO

I would wait until the flights are released   then check on the airline site  that you prefer or http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Maybe give it a couple of months to see if any seat sales

But if you are OK  with the price O is offering then go for it

Only you can decide if it is worth it or not

seat guru has a comparison chart  for seat pitch etc  not sure how accurate it is

https://www.seatguru.com/charts/generalcharts.php

Okay Dan, here is the chart on the 777 on AA. As you can see regular coach is 30-31 and the PE is 38. I've never been real good at math but I'm pretty sure that's 6 or 7 inches. It's the same for the 788 and 789. As I mentioned before you seem to looking at the Main Cabin Extra at 36

Class Seat count Seat pitch Seat width Wi-Fi Entertainment Power
Business 37 Lie-flat 21.9" available Seatback screen, live TV available
Premium Economy 24 38" 18.5" available Seatback screen, live TV available
Main Cabin Extra 66 35 - 36" 17.1 -18.1" available Seatback screen, live TV available
Main Cabin 146 31 - 32" 17.1 - 18.1" available Seatback screen, live TV

2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

Thanks everyone for all the valuable information.  I'll be watching the flights that I want when the schedule comes out for Spring 2020.

IF you get that price when you look for your actual flights, you will probably be closer to a regular economy price than most PE fares.  Just take a gander at what AA is charging in October for each. 

In in other words, if you get that pricing when you want to book and it’s cheaper than O air I would book it. It’s ideal for high season PE pricing...why try to ring the bell that might not be there???

You would control the flights and it’s highly unlikely they would go down by any significant amount that you would actually see to hit on. I wouldn’t scrape around for $50 pp that might not exist? If you used ITA to find a cheapest flight combo in a month that is not reality, when you look for actual flights on dates that work, it could be a whole different reality. 

Buggins:  Great answer, I appreciate it.  I have looked on ITA, google flights, Travelocity, expedia and American.  I realize that all of this is just a guess at this point.  But what it does is gives me a good idea of prices and routes. I have taken a gander at October fares.  I realize that when the schedules comes out the prices can be more or less.  It's a total crap shoot.

When the schedules come out for Spring 2020 which will be about 2 months BEFORE I can talk to O air, and the price/flights are what I want, I'm going to buy the tickets myself.  I'm not going to scrape around for $50pp.  I am going to pay less than O air, pick my flights/seats and most important:  I have control.  A bird in the hand!

• Like 1

bbtondo and buggins - I think you're both absolutely right!  I would (and do, in fact) do exactly the same thing as you have decided to do.  I have a friend who "goes nuts & drives himself crazy" over pricing this stuff (airfares, hotels, etc.) and is constantly trying to "game the system".  And for him (retired with $1M+ in his IRA), it is completely and totally unnecessary - he could pay whatever the cost was....for FC and BC...and not even "break a sweat"!   But for him (and others) it has gone well beyond the hobby stage, or "simply trying to save a few dollars", and he has dived headlong down the rabbit-hole and into a full-blown obsession.  It would drive him "crazy" to buy his plane tickets and then 2 months later, find out that he could have possibly "saved himself" a couple hundred dollars.  Life's just too short to worry about that stuff (at least in my estimation).

I've told him several times that if a "few hundred dollars" really makes that much difference to him....he probably shouldn't be going on a cruise vacation (or any other vacation), to begin with!  Just do what you're doing.  Do some advance "looking" with dummy bookings and comparison shopping, etc., And over several weeks, you will probably get a "feel" for what a "good and reasonable price" would be for your itinerary and for the airline and seats you want (and are willing to pay for).  Then, when the time comes, just buy the tickets and don't worry about waiting for "O" flights to open up in a few more months.  Once you've got your tickets locked in, then you can put you mind and attention on other things - clothes to bring, excursions to go on, etc..  I realize that for some, the whole "vacation planning" process is a hobby.....but for others, it can easily and rapidly become an unhealthy obsession.

My same friend who "worries" about (unnecessarily) paying a couple extra hundred dollars for a BC seat to Europe, is the same guy who stays at the Ritz-Carlton and buys $150-bottles of single-malt scotch ever month. "Go Figure"??  Regards.

Pingpong1:

Really appreciate your thoughts.  I totally agree!  I want to get this whole airfare business done and then think of more important things like what I'm going to wear, eat, drink lol!

Everyone's advice has been so helpful as I look forward to booking my airfare and crossing that off my list. 

23 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

bbtondo and buggins - I think you're both absolutely right!  I would (and do, in fact) do exactly the same thing as you have decided to do.  I have a friend who "goes nuts & drives himself crazy" over pricing this stuff (airfares, hotels, etc.) and is constantly trying to "game the system".  And for him (retired with $1M+ in his IRA), it is completely and totally unnecessary - he could pay whatever the cost was....for FC and BC...and not even "break a sweat"!   But for him (and others) it has gone well beyond the hobby stage, or "simply trying to save a few dollars", and he has dived headlong down the rabbit-hole and into a full-blown obsession.  It would drive him "crazy" to buy his plane tickets and then 2 months later, find out that he could have possibly "saved himself" a couple hundred dollars.  Life's just too short to worry about that stuff (at least in my estimation).

I've told him several times that if a "few hundred dollars" really makes that much difference to him....he probably shouldn't be going on a cruise vacation (or any other vacation), to begin with!  Just do what you're doing.  Do some advance "looking" with dummy bookings and comparison shopping, etc., And over several weeks, you will probably get a "feel" for what a "good and reasonable price" would be for your itinerary and for the airline and seats you want (and are willing to pay for).  Then, when the time comes, just buy the tickets and don't worry about waiting for "O" flights to open up in a few more months.  Once you've got your tickets locked in, then you can put you mind and attention on other things - clothes to bring, excursions to go on, etc..  I realize that for some, the whole "vacation planning" process is a hobby.....but for others, it can easily and rapidly become an unhealthy obsession.

My same friend who "worries" about (unnecessarily) paying a couple extra hundred dollars for a BC seat to Europe, is the same guy who stays at the Ritz-Carlton and buys $150-bottles of single-malt scotch ever month. "Go Figure"??  Regards.

You make some excellent points. For me the thing is there's a line between having your TA and Oceania do everything for you, i.e. air, hotel, transfers, luggage etc. vs. pinching every penny. I myself try to be over the line toward saving on the things that are simple to save on, like doing simple math. That way I can afford more Single Malt scotch. 

On 5/7/2019 at 9:03 AM, pingpong1 said:

Remember this......You can always get more money and you can not get more time. or health.   God don't do transfers.....

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 6:54 AM, Hawaiidan said:

Remember this......You can always get more money and you can not get more time. or health.   God don't do transfers.....

Hawaiidan,

Question if we opt to do O Life with airfare,

do they have a option to upgrade from economy to business or first which would be cheaper than purchasing through United! We have used all our points with United for First class in 2016 before Polaris and have used points since with Polaris. Since points are skyrocketing soon we snagged good Buisness seats already for our up coming cruise. 

With the future I’d go through OLife if the upgrade is worth it!

Thanks

Denise😊

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Hawaiidan,

do they have a option to upgrade from economy to business or first which would be cheaper than purchasing through United! We have used all our points with United for First class in 2016 before Polaris and have used points since with Polaris. Since points are skyrocketing soon we snagged good Buisness seats already for our up coming cruise. 

Thanks

Denise😊

No, it has been my experience that O charges for  real business ( not the crummy premium econ) they are going to almost always give you a  full price ticket.   

One exception  I was in Hawaii and wanted a business class to PPT...  they said it would be $2800 pp 

The route they  had me on was HNL-LAX-PPT      ( they dont work with Hawaiiian... AKA- Bone-head Air) on American and Tahiti Nui. But....since they chartered the Tahiti Nui  the offered me  seats in Business from LAX  for $990.   I took them as a 1 way was running $1900. 

My experience, again, with the exception of the Tahiti market, Your going to make out far better shopping the fare.   

As you know there is no more first on UAL  its Business. First in the international market  And Business/Farce in domestic .       I too have snagged  4 flights in the past  year for under 140 rt ff miles   Lax/CDG / NRT/ MUC/SYD/ ZRH  all for $5.60 each.......... and I am still sitting on half a mil.

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Thanks 1

On 5/14/2019 at 2:07 PM, DeeniEncinitas said:

do they have a option to upgrade from economy to business or first which would be cheaper than purchasing through United!

Thanks

Denise😊

I would check the prices of BUS/FIRST  to do your own

I found to upgrade  to BUS (lie flat seats )  with O  it was cheaper to book my own ..this was with AC  maybe UA  is a cheaper option though

do the research  before you commit

JMO

• Thanks 1

I'm on the AA flight BCN-MIA next month, booked through O air.  I believe it is true Premium Economy, but will certainly report back if it isn't!  

BTW, in defense of O air, they were careful to point out that my DL flight to BCN was Comfort+ and that it is not true Premium Economy (though DL costs about as much!).    I was willing to suffer to get an overnight non-stop to Europe from TPA (not many of those from TPA, and my go-to LH flight was full).  Maybe I'll feel differently after the flight!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2019 at 6:30 AM, StanandJim said:

Everything that you or Oceania does, regarding the Air arrangements will be controlled by availability of seats on the plane.  Prices can be quixotic, so I'm always in favor of booking early.  

Very true  I just booked for a Rome-LAX flight in April next year  and got the last prem flight seats for the day I wanted to LAX..... 300+ days out       Be aware   " the term Premium Economy" is not  a set standard and can vary wildly from plane to plane and airline to airline     Many times its the same economy seat  row that the just block out the center seat... and give you free booze.  with 32 inch pitch !      It  is very much a  buyer beware situation.     ASSUME  nothing in a name.    From the " Prem economy" seats I have seen this past month UAL/AA/ LH/LO/ they are a joke.  it is  not even close to a business class seat....  

DO research  

On 5/15/2019 at 8:44 PM, su-arizona said:

I'm on the AA flight BCN-MIA next month, booked through O air.  I believe it is true Premium Economy, but will certainly report back if it isn't!  

BTW, in defense of O air, they were careful to point out that my DL flight to BCN was Comfort+ and that it is not true Premium Economy (though DL costs about as much!).    I was willing to suffer to get an overnight non-stop to Europe from TPA (not many of those from TPA, and my go-to LH flight was full).  Maybe I'll feel differently after the flight!

Trust me   you will have an "experience" that will be very en lightning ... from Arizona... 11 hours... you will realize much.

I learned the hard way bout west to east flights and the impact a poor seat can have on your health and cruise....Id take a cheaper cabin  before a  lesser seat on a flight of great length....    I just flew to europe last week   in Business,  my friend went coach.. I arrived fresh and non lagged   it took my friend 8 days to get back to normal...sort of.       Consider the time you loose by saving on a flight..... really

Edited by Hawaiidan

On 5/14/2019 at 11:07 AM, DeeniEncinitas said:

Hawaiidan,

Thanks

Denise😊

Just snagged LAX-MIA- Nice-LAX  on UAL  for  $1200   or 60,000 miles pp   for April