Tweens - very active, suggeations

maeffron

I have two middle schoolers that will be very, very active on the Harmony of the Seas (boat doesn't really matter other than it's huge). They will need to carry drink cup, phone, and an inhaler without losing them! 

Suggestions for carrying around the ship? 

I have considered fanny pack (they are really not thrilled with that!) Or drawstring backpack (have to set it down when playing/running - chance of stealing? Or forgetting). 

Help!!!

How about cargo shorts or something similar with deep pockets. They will also need their Seapass card - lanyard works well.  They don’t need to carry a drink cup.  Drinks are available all over the ship.  If you are concerned about them losing phone have them leave in cabin and check back frequently. 

When I was their age, I used a small cross-body purse, but deep pockets should suffice. If it makes them happier, fanny packs are actually come back into fashion, and there can be many fashionable options found at fast fashion shops nowadays if looks are a concern of theirs! A lanyard for their Seapass to wear around their neck would work great. It's not so fashionable, but a neck wallet/pouch could be a good place to store their phone. It would always be around their neck, so it'd be harder to lose.

I don't think they will need a drink cup. They can always retrieve it from the room if they're interested, but you can also get drinks by the glass around the ship so it shouldn't be necessary. 

And to reply to 1025cruise: not all tweens (or kids, for that matter), enjoy the kid's club. At their age, I certainly didn't. I didn't like having to make friends quickly with strangers and generally didn't like the activities offered. I preferred to do my own thing or hang out with family. I was allowed to explore the ship with my cousins after clearly communicating plans with parents and staying in touch as often as possible. Many kids love the experience, but many kids don't. Each kid and family is different. 

3 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

If not in the kids club, where will the tweens be? I can't imagine giving tweens run of the ship.

Hours on the flowrider, more hours on the rock wall, once a day doing mini golf and zip line.   Our granddaughter then spent hours in the teen club.  Teen club pizza dinners some nights.

These are excellent and at a great price. I'd imagine the kids will think they are pretty cool. Tons of storage and easy to take with you anywhere. Lots of color options...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-Molle-Tactical-Sling-Chest-Bag-Assault-Pack-Messenger-Shoulder-Bag-Backpack/173183401311?hash=item285288fd5f:m:mMGuRLMhVMDgsn03_A40Gjw

Edited by 1city@atime
spelling

16 minutes ago, 1city@atime said:

These are excellent and at a great price. I'd imagine the kids will think they are pretty cool. Tons of storage and easy to take with you anywhere. Lots of color options...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Men-Molle-Tactical-Sling-Chest-Bag-Assault-Pack-Messenger-Shoulder-Bag-Backpack/173183401311?hash=item285288fd5f:m:mMGuRLMhVMDgsn03_A40Gjw

That looks like a bit much for a middle school not yet teen to carry around on a ship.  You have recommended this twice today on these forums.  Are you the one selling them on ebay?  EM

Just now, Essiesmom said:

That looks like a bit much for a middle school not yet teen to carry around on a ship.  You have recommended this twice today on these forums.  Are you the one selling them on ebay?  EM

lol, no. I have a couple of them and use them for all manner of things from work, hikes, travel.

If you look around ebay, you can get smaller ones.

I've given them to middle school relatives and they loved them because they look cool and not like a boring messenger bag or worse, fanny pack.

I have two boys (now 16 and 21). There is no way they’d wear cargo shorts (heck I have a hard time finding them for DH, not the fashionista), and the only bags they’ve ever carried, besides backpacks for school, are string bags. My nephew, with serious allergies, always has his medicine/inhalers/epipepns in one that he takes everywhere he goes.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

I have two boys (now 16 and 21). There is no way they’d wear cargo shorts (heck I have a hard time finding them for DH, not the fashionista), and the only bags they’ve ever carried, besides backpacks for school, are string bags. My nephew, with serious allergies, always has his medicine/inhalers/epipepns in one that he takes everywhere he goes.

Cargo shorts are available every where. Google and you will see.  Not sure why you have a hard time finding.  Also not sure why your kids wouldn’t wear - they are very popular with hikers, athletes, lots of age groups and people with different interests; many brands too, including Under Armour, Columbia and many others.

I'd go with the drawstring backpack -- they're lightweight and small.  You can hook a carabiner clip to each one and the kids can hang it up on the fencing at the sport court, or something like a Heroclip lets you hang it from all kinds of surfaces, including tabletops.

If your kids are used to always having their phone on them at home, they're going to be less likely to forget the bag with the phone in it. 

I also HIGHLY recommend bringing zipper plastic bags and having the kids be in the habit of putting their phone inside the baggie... never know when a splash will happen (or push into the pool)!

15 hours ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

Cargo shorts are available every where. Google and you will see.  Not sure why you have a hard time finding.  Also not sure why your kids wouldn’t wear - they are very popular with hikers, athletes, lots of age groups and people with different interests; many brands too, including Under Armour, Columbia and many others.

I can’t remember the last time I saw a male teen or young adult in cargo shorts, then again, my daughter’s are all in on the mom jean craze.

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I can’t remember the last time I saw a male teen or young adult in cargo shorts, then again, my daughter’s are all in on the mom jean craze.

You need to come to GA.  EM

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Come to the UK, lots of boys and men wear them in summer, perfect for carrying stuff around