What is the Most Expensive or Memorable Item You Have Ever Lost on a Cruise?

Lastdance

My wife panicked because she didn't have her sunglasses when we got off the transfer bus in Southampton.  She ran back to the bus but they weren't there.  I found them on top of her head!  Yes, these things really do happen. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

My wife panicked because she didn't have her sunglasses when we got off the transfer bus in Southampton.  She ran back to the bus but they weren't there.  I found them on top of her head!  Yes, these things really do happen. 

Yes, seen that more than once.

This was en route to a cruise...

We checked into our hotel in Southampton and DH realized he didn't have his IPad.  He had used it on the plane to London and thought he might have left it in the SmithsforAirports vehicle that picked us up at Heathrow.  They searched but didn't find it.  He then called United and put in a lost object report with little hope of ever seeing it again.  He even checked with United when we went back through Heathrow 2 weeks later.  No luck.  Three months later he got a call from the main lost and found for United (somewhere in Texas IIRC) that they had found his IPad!  They sent it back to him immediately.

9 minutes ago, capriccio said:

This was en route to a cruise...

We checked into our hotel in Southampton and DH realized he didn't have his IPad.  He had used it on the plane to London and thought he might have left it in the SmithsforAirports vehicle that picked us up at Heathrow.  They searched but didn't find it.  He then called United and put in a lost object report with little hope of ever seeing it again.  He even checked with United when we went back through Heathrow 2 weeks later.  No luck.  Three months later he got a call from the main lost and found for United (somewhere in Texas IIRC) that they had found his IPad!  They sent it back to him immediately.

Very lucky indeed.

Left my car, and house keys on the ship.  Had a taxi home, so didn't realise until I was about 150 miles into the journey.

Luckily I was able to contact my cleaner who lived nearby, and she let me into my house (and once in the house I had spare house and car keys).  Cruise liner did find them (they were in the exact draw I put them in on my 1st day), and were safely returned to me - there was an admin charge of £20 though (normal post - not next day or anything)

I had never been so glad to be luckily enough to have a cleaner who lived nearby and was able to let me in.  If not for her, an emergency lock change to get into the house would have been much more expensive

Not on a cruise but at Disney World, my cousin owed me some money and handed me three hundred dollar bills.  I didn't want to walk around with all that for three days so I put it in the hotel room safe and promptly forgot about it.  Hours after checking out as we were wandering around the Magic Kingdom I remembered and ran back to the room.  It had been thoroughly cleaned but the maid was in the hall.  She saw me, smiled, and reached into her cart and handed me the money.

4 hours ago, euro cruiser said:

Not on a cruise but at Disney World, my cousin owed me some money and handed me three hundred dollar bills.  I didn't want to walk around with all that for three days so I put it in the hotel room safe and promptly forgot about it.  Hours after checking out as we were wandering around the Magic Kingdom I remembered and ran back to the room.  It had been thoroughly cleaned but the maid was in the hall.  She saw me, smiled, and reached into her cart and handed me the money.

An honest cleaner is the best type

On 5/7/2019 at 5:52 AM, Lastdance said:

My DH list his Breitling watch that I gave him 27 years ago on San Miguel Island, Azores...it wan’t just the cost, but the sentimental value, the kind that leaves a little mark when you try to look at the time and then remember it again and again.  Of course, it was just a watch, but also a piece of time and memories...

What have you lost that you still remember...where did you lose it?

Have never lost anything on a cruise or even a land vacation.

Sorry your DH lost his watch.

Not terribly expensive, around $250, but lost my favorite amber and sterling silver pendant:(  Purchased it on my first trip to Lithuania in 2010 and wore it a lot - was on a New England/Canada cruise and it was pouring rain when we returned to NY.  My friend's daughter picked us up at the pier and discovered when I got home that the pendant was missing, although my omega silver chain was inside my raincoat.  Found out that the clasp had broken and didn't even feel the piece fall.  Called NCL, cruiseport, no one had reported it, I'm sure it landed on the ground somewhere in the terminal:(  Did learn one very important lesson - don't wear a necklace under a coat in crowds of people.  I've been back to Lithuania a couple of times since and have bought other pieces but everytime I see one of my old pictures with that piece it makes me sad.

An update on my previous post.

Our luggage and all of its' contents has been  recovered by the police in Tokyo and is being forwarded to us  almost 3 weeks later to SC USA , so disregard my first post.

• Like 2

we were standing on the top deck of the Explorer docked somewhere and my mom was calling her husband to give him the debit card number and it flew out of her hand. And we were doing a cash account. Needless to say I had to foot he bill for everything and those were in the lean days.

Left an expensive camera in the waiting area for a ship's excursion.  We figured it was long gone.  Came back to the ship and it had been turned in, thank goodness.  By a passenger, no less.

I don't remember when or which ship but we were on a snorkeling excursion and the tour people warned us not to wear rings in the water.  They told us that salt water can make your fingers shrink just enough for the rings to come off.

1 hour ago, gooch47 said:

Left an expensive camera in the waiting area for a ship's excursion.  We figured it was long gone.  Came back to the ship and it had been turned in, thank goodness.  By a passenger, no less.

I don't remember when or which ship but we were on a snorkeling excursion and the tour people warned us not to wear rings in the water.  They told us that salt water can make your fingers shrink just enough for the rings to come off.

Never mind it can look  like having the hand look like a fishing lure either.

It's wonderful you got that camera back.

Edited by JMorris271

20 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

Never mind it can look  like having the hand look like a fishing lure either.

It's wonderful you got that camera back.

Yeah.  I thought of that, too, when I encountered a big barracuda on one trip.  I didn't have any rings on but a sparkly diamond bracelet.

Not just saltwater. Every year there seems to be a story about someone being bitten by a Northern Pike or Musky in the upper Midwest. I believe it was last year a man was bitten by a fish, the fish was going after his swim trunk draw strings and you can guess where those strings were hanging.

"Lost" a diamond/gold necklace my DH gave me as a B-day gift. Placed it in a piece of Kleenex on a rough sea day and trashed it while cleaning the cabin. I realized it 10 hours AFTER we returned home and was devastated. The motion sickness was the worst on that cruise and I was totally discombobulated as a result. 

Thankfully, he was able to replace it for me later that year.