New deadline for transferring your HAL booking from HAL/PCC to Travel Agent

kazu

1 hour ago, Daisyloo said:

I wonder what the date was that this new policy came into effect?    A previous poster says they had no trouble transferring cruises on April 10.   I know I spoke to HAL about transferring ours on either April 13 or 15th.  They were firmly NO. 

Now I am wondering if I had only called a day or two earlier if I could have transferred it.  Or is it a case of  HAL reps being inconsistent?

The policy came into effect on April 8th.  Here is the link to the original thread:  

just curious and thinking out loud .. for what reason if you had a TA already would anyone want to wait to transfer a booking made onboard rather than just give the info to the onboard CC.. we always book it and transfer it onboard at the same time

9 hours ago, qoap24 said:

I realize the policy has changed, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me why it was a benefit to wait to transfer your booking? Just curious as to what I was missing. I have only used a TA a couple of times and had them make the booking for me.

Thanks

Speaking only for myself and not generally, I make payments towards my cruise fare.  It’s much easier when you are booked with HAL/PCC as you can do it online than to have to call the TA and give C/C # etc.  

I can also monitor OBC easier and make sure my CCL stock, etc. Has been applied.

Some of my cruises are more than my C/C limit and since I want to use the C/C that gives me travel benefits, making payments solves the issue and allows me to budget a bit 😉 

2 hours ago, Stakeout said:

just curious and thinking out loud .. for what reason if you had a TA already would anyone want to wait to transfer a booking made onboard rather than just give the info to the onboard CC.. we always book it and transfer it onboard at the same time

One reason I know of:

From reading the boards I know that some people TA shop for the best deal, OBC, etc.

Booking with HAL/PCC allows them to secure the cruise and gives them time to do that.

Since the PCC gets credit for the booking, then there was no harm.  

My reason is above 😉 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, kazu said:

... Some of my cruises are more than my C/C limit and since I want to use the C/C that gives me travel benefits, making payments solves the issue and allows me to budget a bit 😉 

Good advice, especially for folks who need to budget their extravagances.

OK - my two cents worth...….

I just got off the phone with HAL - the gentleman I spoke with had heard nothing about any policy change regarding transferring within 60 days of booking so put me on hold and checked.  When he came back, he said that the policy has not changed and that the two reservations I have that haven't been transferred yet (and that I made last year) are just fine and I can transfer them as I've always done which is before final payment.  While we were on the phone, I noticed that the transfer form someone posted on CC goes to the World Cruise Reservations department and asked him about that.  He said world cruises are a department unto themselves and only deal with world cruises and we both came to the conclusion that this form in fact only applies to world cruises.  

You of course are free to do your own checking and come to your own conclusions but until HAL notifies me directly of a policy change (or I ever get to book a world cruise 😍), I see nothing to worry about and things are status quo.

31 minutes ago, zelker said:

I just got off the phone with HAL - the gentleman I spoke with had heard nothing about any policy change

Sorry, but I think he's incorrect.  Saturday staff....

Those of us who have talked to our PCCs have been told the opposite, and they have all been consistent.  The form does say World Cruises, but it is indeed the form we (successfully) used for transferring all our cruises.  It's confusing, but it isn't only for world cruises.  I don't think this gentleman knew what he was talking about, sorry.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, zelker said:

While we were on the phone, I noticed that the transfer form someone posted on CC goes to the World Cruise Reservations department and asked him about that.  He said world cruises are a department unto themselves and only deal with world cruises and we both came to the conclusion that this form in fact only applies to world cruises.  

I agree with Cruising Along, I think you have been given incorrect information especially with what he said about the World Cruise Department.  They are the ones that we fax our CCL stockholder info to and they are the ones who process it so, right there, they do more than deal with world cruises. 😉 

I think you would be wise to recheck possibly by emailing so you get the answer in writing.  JMO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kazu said:

I agree with Cruising Along, I think you have been given incorrect information especially with what he said about the World Cruise Department.  They are the ones that we fax our CCL stockholder info to and they are the ones who process it so, right there, they do more than deal with world cruises. 😉 

I think you would be wise to recheck possibly by emailing so you get the answer in writing.  JMO.

37 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Sorry, but I think he's incorrect.  Saturday staff....

Those of us who have talked to our PCCs have been told the opposite, and they have all been consistent.  The form does say World Cruises, but it is indeed the form we (successfully) used for transferring all our cruises.  It's confusing, but it isn't only for world cruises.  I don't think this gentleman knew what he was talking about, sorry.

Sadly I fear you are correct.  Big Box TA just told me that they have been informed by HAL of the new policy.  This affects two cruises we have deposits on so I will call HAL first thing next week to discuss.  Hopefully it will be seamless as others have reported and we will retain our current reservations with pricing, air (which has almost doubled since I added it), and HAL OBC.  Wish me luck.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Paulinda said:

I guess I don't understand the benefit to me to transfer a booking I make with a PCC to a TA.  Could someone educate me on that reason.  Is it for extra OBC?

Yes - the right TA’s offer extra bennies including OBC - it can add up to a fair bit in some scenarios 😉 

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Yes - the right TA’s offer extra bennies including OBC - it can add up to a fair bit in some scenarios 😉 

Thanks Kazu!  Next question....Why not book with the TA initially?   We've only booked a handful of cruises with a HAL PCC and we always thought we were getting the best deal using them.  Maybe that's not true?

38 minutes ago, Paulinda said:

Thanks Kazu!  Next question....Why not book with the TA initially?   We've only booked a handful of cruises with a HAL PCC and we always thought we were getting the best deal using them.  Maybe that's not true?

I was wondering the same thing.  If you are just going to transfer it later, why get a PCC involved?  Seems like a waste of both parties time - why not let the TA who is getting paid to do it, do the entire process?

1 hour ago, Paulinda said:

In our limited experience (not seasoned cruisers like most of the people here), we have moved the booking to a big box TA when they finally offer more OBCs that were not offered by same, at the time of original booking. 

If you can find a TA that offers benefits, no you’re not getting the best deal with the PCC.  BUT if you have a PCC you really like, then it’s tough to decide to move it.

Why not book right away?  Aside from the point made below,     I like to make payments on my cruise, monitor my OBC, CCL credit etc. (Much easier on the HAL site than having to call my TA each time)  Plus, my PCC gets credit so why not let them have the win of the points for booking the cruise?

Some people like to shop for TA’s - best pricing or benefits.

Booking with HAL/PCC allows them to secure the cruise and then go shopping without having to make a commitment right away.

I’m sure that people have other reasons as well.  These are only the ones that I can think of.

8 minutes ago, Walfam said:

In our limited experience (not seasoned cruisers like most of the people here), we have moved the booking to a big box TA when they finally offer more OBCs that were not offered by same, at the time of original booking. 

That’s one good reason, for sure 🙂 

Several times I have booked a cruise on a Sunday or after work hours when the travel agent I use is not at work.  I'll see a cruise that interests my husband and me, and rather than wait, I book it direct with HAL.  I haven't usually transferred it to the travel agent right away because then I can manage it myself directly with HAL.  Once I transfer it I have to go through the Travel agent.  But transferring it might get me more OBC or some other perk.  Also the travel agent works for a big travel company that gives points that can be used for other travel related things.   Also, I really like my travel agent,  and I like knowing if I run into problems with anything I have her to help me.  

On 5/10/2019 at 11:34 AM, jhannah said:

Interesting indeed! This will hurt some cruisers who make an open booking/bookings onboard but don't know yet just where they want to go. This is forcing a decision farther out, and often we need to wait to see how current affairs turn out before we decide on a cruise.

Thank you, Jacque, for posting. I hadn't seen the other thread, either.

By open bookings on board, are you referring to future cruise deposit on some unknown cruise?  Is this what HAL is going to consider to be a booking?  If so, it behooves one to have the deposit linked immediately to a TA, although I don't know how that can be considered a booking since no cruise has been selected.

I hastily transferred a booking for next summer to an agent that I had booked in March. Here is the form by the way. I filled it out and scanned it and sent it by email to the World Cruise Desk and a copy to my agent.

I note that it covers transferring bookings FROM an agent as well. So you can't fire your agent after 60 days unless you cancel the booking.

Reservation Transfer Request Form - FINAL 042519.pdf

Edited by Wehwalt

1 hour ago, Wehwalt said:

I hastily transferred a booking for next summer to an agent that I had booked in March. Here is the form by the way. I filled it out and scanned it and sent it by email to the World Cruise Desk and a copy to my agent.

I note that it covers transferring bookings FROM an agent as well. So you can't fire your agent after 60 days unless you cancel the booking.

Reservation Transfer Request Form - FINAL 042519.pdf 145.34 kB · 7 downloads

Thanks for this. 😄 

WOW - on the payment information.  WTH?  If the payment goes to HAL why should it not be transferred.  That’s scary to me but I may be taking it too literally.

15 hours ago, kazu said:

Speaking only for myself and not generally, I make payments towards my cruise fare.  It’s much easier when you are booked with HAL/PCC as you can do it online than to have to call the TA and give C/C # etc.  

I can also monitor OBC easier and make sure my CCL stock, etc. Has been applied.

Some of my cruises are more than my C/C limit and since I want to use the C/C that gives me travel benefits, making payments solves the issue and allows me to budget a bit 😉 

Thank you for answering my question.