Do you speak up when you see rulebreaking?

CTOM

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

"Pit bull" doesn't conjure up images of someone saying "please."

This is true. But if the conversation continues, then all bets are off especially if the T word is brought up. Then, it’s not me but rather my DW they have to worry about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ken the cruiser said:

This is true. But if the conversation continues, then all bets are off especially if the T word is brought up. Then, it’s not me but rather my DW they have to worry about.

I've only had one bad political experience at a meal, and that was about 6 years ago. We were at lunch on a cruise and the three other couples at the were quite emphatic in their opinions on politics. I was shocked at the level of nastiness in their comments.  Rather than say anything and have all that nasty dumped on me, I left the table. I was just glad it wasn't an assigned table and I could avoid them in the future. 

4 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Yet another reason for a table for two😊.  Probably should take a table for one as my husband tries to engage me in political conversations and it just isn’t going to happen 

7 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I've only had one bad political experience at a meal, and that was about 6 years ago. We were at lunch on a cruise and the three other couples at the were quite emphatic in their opinions on politics. I was shocked at the level of nastiness in their comments.  Rather than say anything and have all that nasty dumped on me, I left the table. I was just glad it wasn't an assigned table and I could avoid them in the future. 

The last time I can remember when someone proceeded to discuss politics was on an Oceania cruise in a specialty restaurant. The guy just won’t shut up even when his wife asked him to. Eventually my DW jumped in, said her piece and then we got up and left. I believe that was the last time we ever did a sharing table on any cruise. Now it’s just table for twos and I must say, life at dinner is much peacefuller now

Edited by Ken the cruiser

My personal bottom line is I don't care if I hear political conversations, but I do care if old men discuss their health issues.

One day at Lido lunch, some old, rude guy dining alone started blowing his nose repeatedly, using the real cloth napkins.  I was going to say something because he was grossing us out, but the wife stopped me. Then, to make matters worse and I swear this is true, some other older guy starts talking to him about sinuses and how to clear phlegm.

So another diner turns around to my wife, and we're all laughing at how how clueless these disgusting men are being.  I told him that I want to say something, but my wife stopped me.

He said he wants to say something too, but he is an entertainer on board and not allowed to say anything.

(That night we saw him on stage, so he was honest!)

We had fixed seating on a long cruise, and a guy seated at an adjoining table made an elaborate show of testing his blood sugar before dinner each night -- multiple sticks, plenty of red-stained kleenex involved. Then he proceeded to order every darn fatty and sugary thing under the sun for his dinner.  So odd.  And so gross.

We never said anything to anybody, just looked away, but the dining room manager did approach us with the offer of a better table.  Excellent pro-active HAL service.

31 minutes ago, CTOM said:

My personal bottom line is I don't care if I hear political conversations, but I do care if old men discuss their health issues.

But young men and women of all ages discussing their their health issues are ok?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

But young men and women of all ages discussing their their health issues are ok?

I stand corrected.   Any 2 people shouting to each other from different tables about their health issues should be verboten !

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

We had fixed seating on a long cruise, and a guy seated at an adjoining table made an elaborate show of testing his blood sugar before dinner each night -- multiple sticks, plenty of red-stained kleenex involved. Then he proceeded to order every darn fatty and sugary thing under the sun for his dinner.  So odd.  And so gross.

We never said anything to anybody, just looked away, but the dining room manager did approach us with the offer of a better table.  Excellent pro-active HAL service.

Not the best idea to do your blood glucose testing at the table; myself - I do mine in my room then go quickly to where I'm dining.  Sometimes you need another stick because you can't squeeze out a large enough sample and it errors out.  I end up in that bind a couple of times even if I try to hit the same spot on the finger.  But, just because he is diabetic, does not mean he can't eat every darn fatty and sugary thing under the sun.  Based on blood glucose level and timing, I know I am allowed to eat 40g of carbs at a meal and 10g of carbs at one of my 3 snack times and meat doesn't count in the carbs...

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

What's wrong with discussing Twizzlers???   Is that worse than discussing Oreos???  😉

I will say I've had the most intelligent conversations on politics with some folks from Canada.  They seemed to be more informed of what was going on in the US than many Americans I see tweeting and FBng...

41 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

The best rule for any discussions in public,  NO RELIGION OR POLITICS.   It will end badly.

Watch out for a lady who posted recently she loves to engage in talk about her religion, share it with everyone, and hand out tracts...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Not the best idea to do your blood glucose testing at the table; myself - I do mine in my room then go quickly to where I'm dining.  Sometimes you need another stick because you can't squeeze out a large enough sample and it errors out.  I end up in that bind a couple of times even if I try to hit the same spot on the finger.  But, just because he is diabetic, does not mean he can't eat every darn fatty and sugary thing under the sun.  Based on blood glucose level and timing, I know I am allowed to eat 40g of carbs at a meal and 10g of carbs at one of my 3 snack times and meat doesn't count in the carbs...

I think it was the combination of the messy and quite showy last-minute testing, combined with the extreme overindulgence, that made the whole scene like it was a Fellini movie.  

Lots of diabetics out there.  I've never seen anything like this.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

I think it was the combination of the messy and quite showy last-minute testing, combined with the extreme overindulgence, that made the whole scene like it was a Fellini movie.  

Lots of diabetics out there.  I've never seen anything like this.

Not sure there is a discrete way to do it out in public - you gotta put the needle in the plunger, get a strip out of the barrel, put it in the machine and quickly stick, prod the blood out, put on the strip, and read.  Maybe he's new and taking the order to test before a meal too literally.

Dated a guy who was type 1.  We camped out overnight to get good seats for the Rose parade.  He had to give himself an injection, so he went into a porta-potty.  He injected on the front of his thighs.  Well, he was sitting there, pants down, needle in his leg and someone opened the door!!!  He forgot to lock it!!!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

Wow offended by someone testing for a disease, maybe you shouldn’t ever leave home, and as for what he then ate, perhaps his reading was so low he needed that food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Not sure there is a discrete way to do it out in public - you gotta put the needle in the plunger, get a strip out of the barrel, put it in the machine and quickly stick, prod the blood out, put on the strip, and read.  Maybe he's new and taking the order to test before a meal too literally.

Dated a guy who was type 1.  We camped out overnight to get good seats for the Rose parade.  He had to give himself an injection, so he went into a porta-potty.  He injected on the front of his thighs.  Well, he was sitting there, pants down, needle in his leg and someone opened the door!!!  He forgot to lock it!!!  

My uncle was type 1, and we had all seen him take his injections for years. We were celebrating some family occasion in a restaurant that had an old railroad dining car. We had a private compartment for the 8 or so of us, so my uncle took his insulin at the table rather than take the long walk to the men's room as he would have done if we weren't alone. Just as my aunt stuck the needle in my uncle's arm, our waiter walked in. The poor waiter went white as a sheet, turned around and walked out. When he came back, we tried to explain, but he didn't want to hear anything about needles. 

This topic made me have this vision about my upcoming first HAL cruise: 

I see someone touching the spout of their water bottle to the dispenser.  I am right next to them.

I say,

"Oh my gosh - did you see the last person who put their water bottle to the dispenser? 

He was foaming at the mouth, sweating, and had a rash."

But don't worry - you probably won't catch anything."

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Wow offended by someone testing for a disease, maybe you shouldn’t ever leave home, and as for what he then ate, perhaps his reading was so low he needed that food.

Say what you will, but I've had/have some gnarly medical conditions, and if I ever willfully and needlessly toss bloody tissues all over a white tablecloth in a crowded restaurant, just put me out of my misery.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I saw someone mention bloody napkins/tissue, so I went back to see the original.  Just how much blood did he get on how many tissues?  I can't wrap my head around that one.  I had to re-stick today (must have been thinking about this post) because I didn't draw enough the first time and the test errored out.  I got enough on the second stick.  I didn't do enough "excess" that even put a little dot on my tissue.  Maybe the gentleman needs to dial down his lancet stick length - he may be going deeper than he needs. My lancet tool has a dial from 1-7 for the depth of the stick.  I'm usually at 3, but depending on the finger, I may have to re-stick t 4.  I have to "milk" it to get enough out for the meter.  If I stick too deep, I probably would bleed more than I need for the test.  NO, I don't want to try it for an experiment...  

13 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Say what you will, but I've had/have some gnarly medical conditions, and if I ever willfully and needlessly toss bloody tissues all over a white tablecloth in a crowded restaurant, just put me out of my misery.

I didn't see where he "tossed bloody tissues all over a white tablecloth"...  That made me think of someone with a bloody nose, not someone who lanced a finger for a glucose test...

On 5/18/2019 at 7:23 PM, TAD2005 said:

We were seated at lunchtime at a table in the Lido pool area, right next to the Taco Bar, which is self-serve.  It is also next to the Dive-In service window.   We watched a woman loading sour cream onto her plate, and when she was done, she licked the serving spoon and placed it back into the tub of sour cream.  Yuccch !!!

We told the Dive-In staff of this disgusting action.  They immediately removed the tub of sour cream and replaced it.  Some people are slobs, and you can't fix stupid.

Hello TAD2005, hope that did not happen on our South Pacific cruise in March19. 

Things like this happen on every HAL cruise we take. I always notify staff of a problem. I am amazed that the staff doesn't see it first. In December 2018 I was having lunch in Lido when I saw this man get in the buffet line, no shoes, swim trunks and no shirt with a big hairy chest. Since I have been one of those lucky one's with the noro on a prior cruise I immediately went to Lido manager and told him get that guy out of here.

Not to change the subject but friends of mine asked me why I sail HAL since it is a much older crowd. Based on this tread, it sounds like a lot of children acting badly who don't know better :classic_ohmy:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I didn't see where he "tossed bloody tissues all over a white tablecloth"...  That made me think of someone with a bloody nose, not someone who lanced a finger for a glucose test...

Slidergirl, you're thinking about it too much -- probably because you yourself are polite and don't want to offend others.

The only reason I shared this story is because it was so out of the ordinary.  I have myself at one time had to do tests for blood sugar, so I know it's not a big deal.  And I wasn't too graphic in my first post because, well, I didn't want to be too graphic.

For some reason, the "person of interest" here really seemed to want attention.  He made the whole "operation" showy and messy -- every night.  It was very odd.  His companion looked embarrassed.

It was a long cruise -- 28 nights -- and the dining room manager just came over to us about a week in and said he had a nice table opened up for us, if we'd like a change.  Very polite and no reference to any other guests.

Perhaps this thread wasn't a good place for this story.  Was he breaking rules?  Beats me.

Anyhow, I wish I'd never brought it up here.

6 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Slidergirl, you're thinking about it too much -- probably because you yourself are polite and don't want to offend others.

The only reason I shared this story is because it was so out of the ordinary.  I have myself at one time had to do tests for blood sugar, so I know it's not a big deal.  And I wasn't too graphic in my first post because, well, I didn't want to be too graphic.

For some reason, the "person of interest" here really seemed to want attention.  He made the whole "operation" showy and messy -- every night.  It was very odd.  His companion looked embarrassed.

It was a long cruise -- 28 nights -- and the dining room manager just came over to us about a week in and said he had a nice table opened up for us, if we'd like a change.  Very polite and no reference to any other guests.

Perhaps this thread wasn't a good place for this story.  Was he breaking rules?  Beats me.

Fair enough.  I was around diabetics and so maybe I've become immune to poking and injecting wherever it was needed.  I'm just recently diagnosed (NOW I know why I was so sick all winter), so I'm still on the learning curve.  I'm fortunate enough to be aware of when I'm feeling "funky" at work and just walk away and grab a snack.  Figuring out how deep to poke is still hit & miss (like I blew it today).   I also had a friend who had to have a colostomy in her 20s and lived with a bag the rest of her life.  All of us in our group of girlfriends got used to seeing it, having to help once in awhile, getting rid of it while she attached a new one.  So, I guess I'm pretty used to dealing with unfortunate medical situations and do my best to just treat it as no big thing.  Don't want to embarrass anyone or myself with a reaction.   Just me.   For your situation, I maybe would have politely offered to go ask a steward for a small bag to deposit his tissues and lancet.  If he refused, I would have been OK the night, but on the way out, mention to the responsible manager about it and ask that the steward proactively bring a bag the next time.   To me, the lancet would be more of an issue than the tissue - that thing can poke quickly an easily if you try to pick it up, putting someone in a potential compromising condition.  

On 5/18/2019 at 12:29 PM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I never approach a rule breaker directly. If they're rude enough to break rules, they may be rude enough to get nasty with me. 

I never approach a rule breaker either unless they are under 5'2" and 110 lbs

Edited by doublebzz

1 hour ago, AncientWanderer said:

I'm glad you did, because it provides the opportunity for other diabetics to consider their actions. Personally, I've always tested in my cabin and disposed of the used lancet in a Sharps container before heading for a meal, but others may test in the MDR or other dining locations without realizing that what is second nature to them might be off-putting to others. 

• Like 3