Parking in NY - besides the cruise terminal

lizi116

Can anyone tell me of their experience parking in a private lot close to the cruise terminal.  Is it worth it to save the extra bucks?  is it easy?  Wouldn't want to park more than 3/4 blocks away.  Reserve in advance?

Trust me, I tried every option to save a few bucks when I saw the price to park.

For the $60 to $75 I could save I said the heck with it.

Pull in the lot, grab luggage and get on ship and the same on the way out..

First time driving to a port, usually fly to FL.

Looking forward to it.

51 minutes ago, thesmiths said:

Trust me, I tried every option to save a few bucks when I saw the price to park.

For the $60 to $75 I could save I said the heck with it.

Pull in the lot, grab luggage and get on ship and the same on the way out..

First time driving to a port, usually fly to FL.

Looking forward to it.

You will be happy with that decision. Enjoy your cruise!

On 6/14/2019 at 8:34 AM, Turtles06 said:

You will be happy with that decision. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you, 

We will. 

I will celebrate my 60th at Jacks Shack in GT and a nice dinner at the Steakhouse that night.

Looking forward to R&R, Just came off a cruise last month with 8 People and I was the tour guide.

Loved every minute spending time with family but was a lot of work.

Just my wife and I in an aft wrap .

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm leaving out of New York in December on the Gem. I read that the Bliss will also be docked at the same time. They also said the Bliss will probably be docked at pier 88  for parking and the Gem will be moved to pier 90 I think. Does anyone know if there is a different entrance to the roof parking if we are on Pier 90. I have always been on pier 88. Will this make a big difference, or is it basically all the same. Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, bermuda8553 said:

I'm leaving out of New York in December on the Gem. I read that the Bliss will also be docked at the same time. They also said the Bliss will probably be docked at pier 88  for parking and the Gem will be moved to pier 90 I think. Does anyone know if there is a different entrance to the roof parking if we are on Pier 90. I have always been on pier 88. Will this make a big difference, or is it basically all the same. Thanks for any help.

Its the same entrance. 

I think I read that at the Manhattan pier, unlike most others, you do NOT drop off your checked luggage before parking.

Do they have smart carts, or porters, available to help with getting luggage from your car to the pier entrance?   How much of a walk is it?  We're looking at a Carnival cruise.

6 minutes ago, PrincessArlena'sDad said:

I think I read that at the Manhattan pier, unlike most others, you do NOT drop off your checked luggage before parking.

Do they have smart carts, or porters, available to help with getting luggage from your car to the pier entrance?   How much of a walk is it?  We're looking at a Carnival cruise.

You can drop off your luggage before parking, BUT it's on a separate level from the parking lot, so if you do this, you have to exit the terminal and come all the way back around again, which can be a PITA in traffic, especially making the left turn back into the terminal complex.  So it's not advised.

Porters are not roaming around the parking lot, but if people are still disembarking and going up to their cars, you might be lucky and find one up there.  We've never needed to do this, but if you truly need help with your bags, I imagine you could go down to where you'd find the porters and get one.

DIY: the driver can stop the car briefly near the elevator on the parking level and unload the luggage and have everyone else wait there while he/she parks the car.  It's not a long walk to the elevator.

Edited by Turtles06

17 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

DIY: the driver can stop the car briefly near the elevator on the parking level and unload the luggage and have everyone else wait there while he/she parks the car.  It's not a long walk to the elevator.

Then Check the luggage downstairs?

8 hours ago, ScottnBobbi said:

Any information about the parking in Brooklyn.  Is there enough?  Taking NCL Sky in April and will need to park car. 

No one's ever report a problem getting a parking space there.

FYI...I think you're on the Star, not the Sky. 😉

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

No one's ever report a problem getting a parking space there.

FYI...I think you're on the Star, not the Sky. 😉

The Sky for April 2020 is listed as sailing from Brooklyn!  Must be something new for NCL.  I know we’ve discussed other cruise lines sailing from Brooklyn, but I don't remember NCL ever being one of them.

That is what I found too.  People love to identify issues that don't exist.  Parking for $25 a day is truly a bargain.  Last time we took gem out of Manhattan we thought we would save money by taking train in.  NOPE:  It was not a good choice.  We started on Shoreline East in CT, to Metro North, to a cab ride from hell.  On way home it was just as bad and raining. We didn't save $80 after all of this.  In Manhattan there is no better way than parking at the port.  Drop luggage and people by elevator, park car, go down together, when door opens that is where you check in bags.  Easiest possible way to get on a ship.  

If you are taking the Gem, there is a coupon that they use to take.  Had no expiration date so they kept taking it.  Not sure if it is still good or out there, but it was for at least $100 off.

1 hour ago, ScottnBobbi said:

If you are taking the Gem, there is a coupon that they use to take.  Had no expiration date so they kept taking it.  Not sure if it is still good or out there, but it was for at least $100 off.

That coupon hasn't been valid since July 1, 2017 . From the official port website nycruise.com Parking discounts and coupons are no longer accepted (effective July 1, 2017).

3 hours ago, 138east said:

The Sky for April 2020 is listed as sailing from Brooklyn!  Must be something new for NCL.  I know we’ve discussed other cruise lines sailing from Brooklyn, but I don't remember NCL ever being one of them.

Carol..the poster I was replying to confirmed it's the Star, not the Sky. NCL did a couple of cruises from Brooklyn earlier this year...I think on the Jade. Both this year and next the cruises involve a ship that was not usually home ported in NY but were in the process of being repositioned. 

Edited by njhorseman