Harmony-Free texting, hole punch for Sea Pass, bday cake

Hello everyone,

I have a few quick questions regarding Harmony:

1. Is there "free" texting onboard? I have heard a rumor that you might be able to via the RC app. Is this true? If not, what are our other options.

2. Can you hole punch your SeaPass card at Guest Services? Does Harmony have the kind of cards that you cannot hole punch due to the technology used in the card? If I can hole punch, will a normal hole punch from home work? I typically do not hole punch my Sea Pass, but half of our party bought lanyards and I just wanted to double check.

3. We are going to be celebrating my sister's 60th birthday. How do I get a cake sent to the MDR on the first night? Do I just request it from our waiter at the beginning of the meal? Or, do I email dining services ahead of time.

Thank you!

Nicole

39 minutes ago, BlueSkiesTX said:

1. Is there "free" texting onboard? I have heard a rumor that you might be able to via the RC app. Is this true? If not, what are our other options.

2. Can you hole punch your SeaPass card at Guest Services? Does Harmony have the kind of cards that you cannot hole punch due to the technology used in the card? If I can hole punch, will a normal hole punch from home work? 

iMessage should work by simply connecting to the ship WiFi (wihtout VOOM).

Unlikely. Yes. Yes, if you know where to do it without bricking the card.

I've heard from some recent folks on Symphony that its the new no hole allowed card.  I'll be on HOTS in late July...hope I can still punch holes.  Much more convenient and secure way to have my card with me.

I used to hole punch my own sea passes but now have a small zippered coin purse/pouch hooked to my lanyard which can hold my seapass and tip $$. Very convenient for me not to carry anything (hands are free to hold drinks!!)😋😎

Family sent an awesome Birthday Cake to me on Majesty last year.  They ordered it on line.  Also sent champagne and chocolate covered strawberries.  Just go to Royal web gift section and order.

1 hour ago, FLACRUISER99 said:

You think the place where they punched the hole on OV would be ok on Harmony?(see post #5)

Not unless they changed the stock of cards. The card stock on Ovation has a slightly different design of the electronics inside the card with the antenna away from the area of that hole. The previous stock and the ones I saw on Harmony had the antenna wire in that area - the hole would have to be further in. There’s a fairly easy way to tell a safe spot to punch - turn on the light on your cell phone and put it up against the card. You will be able to see the embedded chip and antenna wire. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Not unless they changed the stock of cards. The card stock on Ovation has a slightly different design of the electronics inside the card with the antenna away from the area of that hole. The previous stock and the ones I saw on Harmony had the antenna wire in that area - the hole would have to be further in. There’s a fairly easy way to tell a safe spot to punch - turn on the light on your cell phone and put it up against the card. You will be able to see the embedded chip and antenna wire. 

Thanks, great information.

12 minutes ago, biomedbob said:

Punch away at guest services......never had a problem on any cruise lines!

On ships with RFID systems?  Those systems have chips and antenna inside the card, if a hole is punched in the wrong spot the card is rendered unusable.  For this reason crew are reluctant to punch cards.

• 3 weeks later...

We are back from our Harmony cruise and I just wanted to update everyone on the answers to the questions I previously asked:

1. We were able to text for free using our iPhones. We were also able to text for free using the RC app. However, you have to check the app to read the messages. It won't notify you.

2. I did not see ANYONE with hole punched cards. We used the plastic sleeve variety on our lanyards. I did not verify with Guest Services if the cards could be hole punched. I bought extra plastic sleeves from Amazon that I gave to members of our party who did not have them. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MV4H8FV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3. I ordered the chocolate cake through the onboard gift program and had it delivered to the MDR the first night. We chose to celebrate my little niece and nephew's birthdays. I verified with my head waiter that the order was there at the beginning of the meal. They delivered it with candles and personalization at the end of the meal and even sang to them. Cake was very good and very big. We took the leftovers to the room. I requested the personalization ahead of time. 

Happy Sailing! I hope this thread helps someone. 

• Like 2

Was the chocolate cake milk chocolate or dark chocolate?

The cake is wrapped in a milk chocolate coating that is delicious. The cake itself is a regular chocolate cake. Both my husband and I do not think it was dark chocolate. We are not fans of dark chocolate and ate this cake right up! The children also devoured it. There wasn't any bitterness to it.