Edge question...?

dis2cruise

5 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

If that’s a balcony, then our house has 32 balconies.

our real estate agent disagrees

Then I say it is time for a new agent...

bon voyage

4 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

And so the argument continues.  We found this to be a room with a window that opens (when the ship’s Captain allows it) and when it opens, the room air condtioning system turns off.  .  It couldn’t be used for drying off a wet bathing suit.  It couldn’t be used by one early-rising partner going out to read while the other partner slept in darkness.  It couldn’t be used for our traditional breakfast on the verandah because the table was too small.  It just didn’t give the verandah experience

You do mean "...the verandah experience" as you wish it to be, correct?

No need for an 'argument' at all. Most who have disliked the IV's have stated so and moved on, several choose to allow the IV's to bother them to such a degree, that when someone mentions IV's it is time to pounce on the concept. You do realize there are several polls and threads addressing this concept and the areas in which many think they are lacking?

Most people I have chatted with who have experienced the IV's really enjoyed them, then there are a few who are very vocal about how they are just windows that open, etc... I respect both sides and understand the disappointment(s).

I Am sure each of us will find our right 'verandah' either on The Edge or on the S-Class or M-Class ships...  or any combination of the classes...

bon voyage

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

You do mean "...the verandah experience" as you wish it to be, correct?

No need for an 'argument' at all. Most who have disliked the IV's have stated so and moved on, several choose to allow the IV's to bother them to such a degree, that when someone mentions IV's it is time to pounce on the concept. You do realize there are several polls and threads addressing this concept and the areas in which many think they are lacking?

Most people I have chatted with who have experienced the IV's really enjoyed them, then there are a few who are very vocal about how they are just windows that open, etc... I respect both sides and understand the disappointment(s).

I Am sure each of us will find our right 'verandah' either on The Edge or on the S-Class or M-Class ships...  or any combination of the classes...

bon voyage

You sir are ..The Man.

• Thanks 1

On 6/18/2019 at 11:10 AM, WestLakeGirl said:

Argument, not as in anger,  but  as in presentation of facts that support one side of an issue.  The IV rooms are problematic, and they were  especially disappointing (and an expensiv disappointment at that) to those who booked prior to the ship’s release, and who feel like ww were sold something Celebrity did not deliver.  Calling them verandah rooms verges on deceitful.

Your conclusion is not factual, rather argumentative.

On 6/18/2019 at 6:58 AM, ipeeinthepool said:

Just say no to the IV balconies.  It was a good idea that was poorly executed.  Hopefully they will improve them when they get to the Jumbo Edge.

I LOVED our Infinite Balcony!  It made the room seem so much larger and I would sit in that area and read without even opening the window.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm glad you liked the IV cabins.  From your description you should consider and Oceanview cabin for a lot less money.

For many of us who do and will choose the IV's it is not all about the money as opposed to the experience...

If the experience is not what or how we thought, then there are other classes of X ships we can sail on or for almost the same price or within 10% or so.

Otherwise we can consider other lines which are 'less expensive' and less experience for us, all way around... i.e. RCCL, NCL, etc.. and similar vessels for that 'true' verandah experience. Yet, verandah's is not the penultimate part of the reason many of us sail, nor price. Do we want the most advantageous price, of course, yet when we book we are happy with the price we are paying, if not, again there are the other two (2) classes of X ships and other lines that we can turn to, at our option and not at others behest...

Just my opinion on the comment.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

On 6/18/2019 at 6:53 AM, dis2cruise said:

Thanks everyone for all your answers...

Actually I’m fine we’re we are even the balcony!

As long as I can sit out side open the window and get some air

I’m a happy girl.   It’s just a shame we can’t open the outside to the next cabin, oh well.  

Your comments "sit out side" and "can't open the outside" make me wonder if you have a full understanding of the IV cabin. There is no "outside." There is instead a larger "inside" with a window that does open and allow you to "get some air."

8 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

For many of us who do and will choose the IV's it is not all about the money as opposed to the experience...

If the experience is not what or how we thought, then there are other classes of X ships we can sail on or for almost the same price or within 10% or so.

Otherwise we can consider other lines which are 'less expensive' and less experience for us, all way around... i.e. RCCL, NCL, etc.. and similar vessels for that 'true' verandah experience. Yet, verandah's is not the penultimate part of the reason many of us sail, nor price. Do we want the most advantageous price, of course, yet when we book we are happy with the price we are paying, if not, again there are the other two (2) classes of X ships and other lines that we can turn to, at our option and not at others behest...

Just my opinion on the comment.

bon voyage

I think you have identified the core issue.  There are many of us that enjoy the overall Celebrity experience and are willing to pay a premium over some other lines. However the traditional balcony experience is also vital part of the enjoyment of the cruise.  We are amazed and upset that Celebrity would introduce a new class of ship that virtually eliminated that experience for the non-suite guests.  For now we can avoid the E-class ships because they really don’t sail any unique itineraries.  However sometime in the next few years that will change and those of us that don’t like the IV balconies will be faced with the choice of either accepting the IV balconies or leaving the Celebrity experience.  On paper the IV concept is great as long as it preserved the possibility of a true outdoor space with enough room for a comfortable chair and a table to eat on the balcony.  Unfortunately this was not part of the IV execution on the Edge.  So yes, there are many of us that are upset and feel abandoned by Celebrity.  

Enjoy your cruise

41 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I think you have identified the core issue.  There are many of us that enjoy the overall Celebrity experience and are willing to pay a premium over some other lines. However the traditional balcony experience is also vital part of the enjoyment of the cruise.  We are amazed and upset that Celebrity would introduce a new class of ship that virtually eliminated that experience for the non-suite guests.  For now we can avoid the E-class ships because they really don’t sail any unique itineraries.  However sometime in the next few years that will change and those of us that don’t like the IV balconies will be faced with the choice of either accepting the IV balconies or leaving the Celebrity experience.  On paper the IV concept is great as long as it preserved the possibility of a true outdoor space with enough room for a comfortable chair and a table to eat on the balcony.  Unfortunately this was not part of the IV execution on the Edge.  So yes, there are many of us that are upset and feel abandoned by Celebrity.  

Enjoy your cruise

i - yes, it is the 'core issue' for those who are disappointed that many of the cabins on The Edge Class of ships do not have 'traditional' balconies/verandahs... Yet, there are many who are not.

Many of us who followed the design and build of The Edge knew and understood this all along, so it will not be a surprize at all.. rather or not one will enjoy the experience is a totally different issue.

Now, were one to book any cabin with the IV knowing this information or without looking at the videos or at X's site to see what they look like, is a different issue.

Yes, I understand and accept that many want that 'traditional' experience and they need to have it, yet The Edge Class will not provide it, unless one is in Suite Class... speaking of which, many complain about how The Retreat is structured. I have read here on CC that for the prices which X is charging for its' upper tier suites these passengers have a number of other 'better' options. Obviously not, if this class of cabin is being booked out... especially on my sailing the top suites have been booked out for months now..

I recommend that anyone who is upset about the IV's not wait to jump ship, jump now and start to acclimate to a new line with the itineraries and cabin presentation that they may crave/desire...

As I have stated before, I always look forward to something new and different... I get it that some do not enjoy it and the good thing is, we have options..The good thing is, one can always abandon X, before feeling abandoned.

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

i - yes, it is the 'core issue' for those who are disappointed that many of the cabins on The Edge Class of ships do not have 'traditional' balconies/verandahs... Yet, there are many who are not.

Many of us who followed the design and build of The Edge knew and understood this all along, so it will not be a surprize at all.. rather or not one will enjoy the experience is a totally different issue.

Now, were one to book any cabin with the IV knowing this information or without looking at the videos or at X's site to see what they look like, is a different issue.

Yes, I understand and accept that many want that 'traditional' experience and they need to have it, yet The Edge Class will not provide it, unless one is in Suite Class... speaking of which, many complain about how The Retreat is structured. I have read here on CC that for the prices which X is charging for its' upper tier suites these passengers have a number of other 'better' options. Obviously not, if this class of cabin is being booked out... especially on my sailing the top suites have been booked out for months now..

I recommend that anyone who is upset about the IV's not wait to jump ship, jump now and start to acclimate to a new line with the itineraries and cabin presentation that they may crave/desire...

As I have stated before, I always look forward to something new and different... I get it that some do not enjoy it and the good thing is, we have options..The good thing is, one can always abandon X, before feeling abandoned.

bon voyage

You are probably correct, if you don’t like the direction Celebrity is going with the Edge, you should leave now.  It’s likely many of us will do just that. But the Edge has only been here a few months and many of us are still in the disbelief and grieving process for Celebrity abandoning us.  It will be a few years before we know if the IV balconies will be successful and generate more income for Celebrity.  I don’t think they will and it will end up being a huge mistake. We’ll see in a few years.

enjoy your cruise 

33 minutes ago, ipeeinthepool said:

You are probably correct, if you don’t like the direction Celebrity is going with the Edge, you should leave now.  It’s likely many of us will do just that. But the Edge has only been here a few months and many of us are still in the disbelief and grieving process for Celebrity abandoning us.  It will be a few years before we know if the IV balconies will be successful and generate more income for Celebrity.  I don’t think they will and it will end up being a huge mistake. We’ll see in a few years.

enjoy your cruise 

I understand....

bon voyage

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Bo

When is your EDGE  cruise?

Looking forward to your review.

You are one of the original EDGIES  and we will highly  value your comments!

24 Nov 2019!

Thank you H - I cannot wait...

Based on the polls and comments here on CC, I should expect that half of our group of 22 will dislike the IV's... LOL

Yet, I have made sure everyone has seen photos and read descriptions of the IV's on X's website and to a person, everyone is excited to experience them.... even first time cruisers in the group.

Even those who are technology impaired to one degree or another are looking forward to cabin controls from their phones... I cannot wait to hear the stories of how this works out..

We have a group of 12 looking forward to dining in Eden and seeing its' shows too.. even after getting the initial reviews from others here.

All in all I think it will be a fun and experiential sailing...

I will, attempt, to do a live blog from the ship.... and for our groups family members at home... to send back Happy Thanksgiving greetings...

bon voyage

Just so that people will truly understand the difference between the IV and OV on the Edge and make an educated decision (if price is not the issue), here is a photo comparison of Edge OV's and IV's:

Edge IV (except deck 6 IV's will have similar view as "Panoramic" OV below) :

image.png.042efa3d12da1ae08e661f190414a92b.png

image.png.a1415d921e1ade8d7aecaf5aaac9ae59.png

View at the rail:

image.thumb.png.9d7d9c3ecb0eca2c1a50d920d11ad7d4.png

The only OV 's with floor to ceiling windows similar to the IV's are on deck 6 ("Panoramic" OV), are smaller and most have a view like this and no chairs and table at window:

image.thumb.png.4f1977e8e3c0c6b2f35bfc1e16275c1b.png

OV on deck 3 (much smaller window):

image.png.7354cb8b3cf3ae16581dca7634e79c2f.png

OV Forward (bigger cabin, chairs and table, though less of a panoramic view while seated):

image.thumb.png.a8c1009ad89325863cda6dcbb25f9c6f.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Your comments "sit out side" and "can't open the outside" make me wonder if you have a full understanding of the IV cabin. There is no "outside." There is instead a larger "inside" with a window that does open and allow you to "get some air."

I Am under the impression that she does understand there is no 'traditional' verandah and accepts it accordingly, yet the comment is to mean that she has the ability to sit 'outside' the main cabin, as it were, open the window, look out either sitting or standing and getting the breeze.

I Am sure d will come back to correct me, if in fact I have mis-interpreted her thoughts and desires about the IV's and what I understand is most appealing for her.

I Am sure that she has read many pro's and con's about the IV's and is really looking forward to her sailing in one as many others are.

Now, after the sailing in one, what the reaction will be remains to be heard and I trust she will be back to let us know her thoughts.

bon voyage

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

24 Nov 2019!

Thank you H - I cannot wait...

Based on the polls and comments here on CC, I should expect that half of our group of 22 will dislike the IV's... LOL

Yet, I have made sure everyone has seen photos and read descriptions of the IV's on X's website and to a person, everyone is excited to experience them.... even first time cruisers in the group.

Even those who are technology impaired to one degree or another are looking forward to cabin controls from their phones... I cannot wait to hear the stories of how this works out..

We have a group of 12 looking forward to dining in Eden and seeing its' shows too.. even after getting the initial reviews from others here.

All in all I think it will be a fun and experiential sailing...

I will, attempt, to do a live blog from the ship.... and for our groups family members at home... to send back Happy Thanksgiving greetings...

bon voyage

I don't know how you will have time, but if you do, will look forward to your live review!! 🙂

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I don't know how you will have time, but if you do, will look forward to your live review!! 🙂

v - You are correct... I was thinking in terms of my competency in doing it.. LOL

bon voyage

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I'm glad you liked the IV cabins.  From your description you should consider and Oceanview cabin for a lot less money.

2 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

v - You are correct... I was thinking in terms of my competency in doing it.. LOL

bon voyage

We had an infinite veranda.  But were fortunate enough to move to a sky suite once on board at a great price.  Again, to each his or her own.  My issues with the infinite veranda  cabin is that it seems very small as the infinite veranda is tiny and because of the bi fold doors, you must move furniture on the balcony around to get in and out of the window area-  It also seems narrow compared to a true balcony.

I believe that the infinite veranda should be sold as a cove type balcony, or open (sometimes) windowed cabin,  and priced lower then it currently is- If you enjoy it great- but you are overpaying IMO.  If you want a true balcony cabin on the Edge or Apex, you should book an aft view balcony, which is your typical balcony type cabin.

I’ve cruised on QM2 in a regular Balcony cabin and I still consider those to be a balcony yet it really is just a square opening in the metal hull. They are permanently open with doors sealing off the cabin. They are all metal and not glass. 

I am looking forward to experiencing an IV balcony next July (20) and think they might work well in Europe. I like the idea of the fresh air but how often would the opening be locked by the Captain and for how long and what would be the reasons for doing this? That’s probably my main concern, being stuck in a cabin that really becomes an inside one? 

13 minutes ago, Pushka said:

I’ve cruised on QM2 in a regular Balcony cabin and I still consider those to be a balcony yet it really is just a square opening in the metal hull. They are permanently open with doors sealing off the cabin. They are all metal and not glass. 

I am looking forward to experiencing an IV balcony next July (20) and think they might work well in Europe. I like the idea of the fresh air but how often would the opening be locked by the Captain and for how long and what would be the reasons for doing this? That’s probably my main concern, being stuck in a cabin that really becomes an inside one? 

Good question. I haven't heard that complaint much at all from actual IV cruisers recently. From what I remember from recent reviews where people commented or who were asked about the window locking, the answer was never to a couple of times. It sounds like it has been minimized since the early cruises - maybe they know the ship better and don't need to lock them for every raindrop like seemed to happen for the early cruises. I generally read all of the Edge reviews and review the Edge Cabin sticky info closely, instead of having personal recent experience, so actual recent cruisers may have different info. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising
  • Thanks 2

On 6/17/2019 at 8:42 PM, dis2cruise said:

Can our attendant open the balcony door so my mom and I have a bigger balcony?? 

You can open the balcony door yourself but it won’t make the balcony any bigger. 🤔   The balcony is what it is.  The door just lets you out to it.

if you have a IV cabin the balcony can be part of your cabin to make your cabin appear larger or the whole cabin could  be considered a balcony with the window downs and the bifold doors open.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Bo.

We  will be looking forward to your review,  ( either live or post cruise).

You are the EDGIE diplomat...I am sure it will be fair and balanced, informative, good humored and fun to read!

We support the IV concept..just wish the space was larger.!

Our window was  auto closed once that  I recall.  For  window washing.

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Good question. I haven't heard that complaint much at all from actual IV cruisers recently. From what I remember from recent reviews where people commented or who were asked about the window locking, the answer was never to a couple of times. It sounds like it has been minimized since the early cruises - maybe they know the ship better and don't need to lock them for every raindrop like seemed to happen for the early cruises. I generally read all of the Edge reviews and review the Edge Cabin sticky info closely, instead of having personal recent experience, so actual recent cruisers may have different info. 🙂

Thanks! 

I guess they were worried about rain coming into the cabin and spoiling furnishings if the bifold had been left open.