Medallion Door Locks/Unlocks

Bwana Tom

Okay, I understand that on the medallion cruises the stateroom doors unlock automatically when you approach, but what happens if you are simply strolling down the passageway and don't intend to enter your stateroom? Does the door lock again automatically as you get out of range?

8 minutes ago, Bwana Tom said:

Okay, I understand that on the medallion cruises the stateroom doors unlock automatically when you approach, but what happens if you are simply strolling down the passageway and don't intend to enter your stateroom? Does the door lock again automatically as you get out of range?

Yes.

Yes. Nothing to worry about. I had a medallion several times on the Regal and just recently had it on the caribbean princess. On the Caribbean you literally had to have The Medallion out in order for it to be sensed. And when you leave your cabin it automatically lock. No way of getting in without The open sesame Medallion

59 minutes ago, Bwana Tom said:

FYI

There is a sticky at the top of the main page for Medallion questions.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2655250-ocean-medallion-question-thread/

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

FYI

There is a sticky at the top of the main page for Medallion questions.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2655250-ocean-medallion-question-thread/

The only problem with the sticky is that people have to go through 26 pages of comments to get the same answer that you can get with just 1 simple post. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Be aware that the OM even opens the door from the inside when you come too close to the door! So use the security lock when you´re in the cabin or place your OM close to the window.

steamboats

Good info. Thanks all' I appreciate it.
Tom

17 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

So checking to make sure the cabin door is locked when you leave is not possible.

Just make sure your medallions are out of range of the door then check to see if it is locked.  We determined the range at which the medallions unlocked the door on the first day of the cruise.  One of us stayed 20 -30 feet from the door and held both of our medallions while the other one stood next to the door to see when it unlocked as the one with the medallions approached.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, nukesubsailor said:

Just make sure your medallions are out of range of the door then check to see if it is locked.  We determined the range at which the medallions unlocked the door on the first day of the cruise.  One of us stayed 20 -30 feet from the door and held both of our medallions while the other one stood next to the door to see when it unlocked as the one with the medallions approached.

Is everyone required to have the medallion or do they still supply room cards?

3 hours ago, MissP22 said:

Also - If you should lose your medallion it must be reported immediately since anyone can use it to gain access to your cabin.

So it is nothing new. Same thing if you lost the cruise card.

Paranoia for nothing.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Is everyone required to have the medallion or do they still supply room cards?

They still say you can request a card but we like the medallion since it has some features I like. Namely finding your cabin mate & door opening. 

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

So it is nothing new. Same thing if you lost the cruise card.

Paranoia for nothing.  

No, it's not the same as a cruise card at all. Would you write your cabin number on your cruise card?

It's not being paranoid if they haven't corrected the problem of a lost medallion being able to tell anyone which cabin it belongs to and let them gain access to it. The card simply won't allow that.

Of course they said the problem would be corrected in the future (last Nov) and I still haven't been on a medallions ship lately to see for myself if they've corrected the security problem or not.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

Be aware that the OM even opens the door from the inside when you come too close to the door! So use the security lock when you´re in the cabin or place your OM close to the window.

steamboats

But don't you have to keep the Medallion on your person at all times, especially if you are alone in the cabin--even in the bathroom as detectors have been installed there? If a Medallion lays motionless for a certain amount of time doesn't the system assume you have either fallen asleep or left it behind in your cabin and turn off the lights and AC? If not then the power-saving feature is pretty much wasted.

1 hour ago, fishywood said:

But don't you have to keep the Medallion on your person at all times, especially if you are alone in the cabin--even in the bathroom as detectors have been installed there? If a Medallion lays motionless for a certain amount of time doesn't the system assume you have either fallen asleep or left it behind in your cabin and turn off the lights and AC? If not then the power-saving feature is pretty much wasted.

The power saving feature will never work if people leave their lights on & the card in the door no matter where the medallion is.

It was an idea that never worked. A total waste of money. 

We had 1 steward once who insisted we take the card out each time we left the cabin. It became a game of him taking it out & us putting it back in.

12 hours ago, MissP22 said:

No, it's not the same as a cruise card at all. Would you write your cabin number on your cruise card?

There´s just the name and the cruise date on the OM not the cabin number!

steamboats

10 hours ago, fishywood said:

There are no detectors in the cabin. There is still a card operated master switch next to the door with a white card provided to operate it.

It´s just that the outside detector works inside if you are coming to close to the door (the range is much less than when you´re outside as the "signal" is blocked by the metal cabin door).

steamboats

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

There are no detectors in the cabin. There is still a card operated master switch next to the door with a white card provided to operate it.

To my knowledge the only ships with the card-operated switch inside the cabin are Royal and Regal Princess. Subsequent builds that will have the Medallion online from launch will not need them. And retrofitted ships have the little white disk in the ceiling (in both the cabin and the bathroom) to detect the presence of the Medallion--how else would the find-your-mate function (or most others) work?

My post didn't mean to imply that the internal detectors also functioned to open and close the door. I am assuming that because when the last occupant leaves the cabin the door detector  locks itself it would also turn off the lights as well. So there must additionally be a "sleep" function for Medallions that remain motionless for a certain amount of time, else what would be the point (a question I continue to struggle with and don't at all expect to learn the answer to when I board CB in two weeks).

2 hours ago, steamboats said:

There´s just the name and the cruise date on the OM not the cabin number!

steamboats

Exactly, but you can get the cabin number & directions to it's cabin from any of the boards located throughout the ship. 

58 minutes ago, fishywood said:

To my knowledge the only ships with the card-operated switch inside the cabin are Royal and Regal Princess. Subsequent builds that will have the Medallion online from launch will not need them. And retrofitted ships have the little white disk in the ceiling (in both the cabin and the bathroom) to detect the presence of the Medallion--how else would the find-your-mate function (or most others) work?

My post didn't mean to imply that the internal detectors also functioned to open and close the door. I am assuming that because when the last occupant leaves the cabin the door detector  locks itself it would also turn off the lights as well. So there must additionally be a "sleep" function for Medallions that remain motionless for a certain amount of time, else what would be the point (a question I continue to struggle with and don't at all expect to learn the answer to when I board CB in two weeks).

Let us know if the cabin mate feature still provides cabin location without any additional information like a pin number.

We’re on the Crown now and they have just implemented the Medallion program starting this leg. After reading this thread so far, here are a couple of observations.

If the door is unlocked accidentally by one of our medallions (after it closes and subsequently relocks) as we are leaving, it will automatically relock within 5 seconds if we don’t touch the door handle. 

As far as information displayed to the public on screens around the ship via the medallion, the CD last night told us we can go to Customer Service and have any information we don’t want displayed by default, such as the cabin number, removed. However, I just used my medallion on one of the public screens and only saw my picture displayed along with my name and nothing else. So I’m not sure if it’s an issue anymore. 

We also tried unlocking the door from inside the cabin using our medallion, while the other one stood out in the hallway, and couldn’t do it. 

So from our point of view, it appears Princess is working hard to eliminate many of the issues encountered earlier on. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

As far as information displayed to the public on screens around the ship via the medallion, the CD last night told us we can go to Customer Service and have any information we don’t want displayed by default, such as the cabin number, removed. However, I just used my medallion on one of the public screens and only saw my picture displayed along with my name and nothing else. So I’m not sure if it’s an issue anymore. 

Thank you.

I was concerned if they had finally fixed that part of the medallion program. 

What does the screen show if you're looking for your cabin mate & they're in your cabin? Does it require a pin number or just indicate that they're in the cabin without showing an actual cabin number?