June.2020. Take warm clothes for Alaska Cruise? First time going to Alaska on cruise

AmberTeka

We  are sailing on the Carnival Spirit in early June.  Is it still cold in Alaska  at that time of year? We are taking the cruise  out of Seattle.  Does anyone know a  good  Hotel  near the Airport?  We will fly in a day early  from Orlando.  Thank you for any advice. 

1 hour ago, AmberTeka said:

We  are sailing on the Carnival Spirit in early June.  Is it still cold in Alaska  at that time of year? We are taking the cruise  out of Seattle.  Does anyone know a  good  Hotel  near the Airport?  We will fly in a day early  from Orlando.  Thank you for any advice. 

We cruised to Alaska a few years ago in late June and it got cold. Noone spent any time on deck when the ship was moving d/t the cold wind. It was pretty nice in the ports but not what I would say warm. I would pack both so you will be covered. 

Have a great time!! Alaska is absolutely beautiful!

Donna

We went in early June this year. We packed for cold weather, but it did not get to cold. It was upper 50’s to lower 60’s in Juneau and Ketchikan. It was a little warmer in Skagway. As everyone says, think layers and be prepared for wet weather. In Juneau and Ketchikan, we had some misty to light rain. We both had rain jackets.

In regards to the hotel, we stayed at the Country Inn and Suites by the airport. Great location, rooms, service and breakfast. Would highly recommend. We used their shuttle to get to the airport light rail train to get downtown for sightseeing. We used Seattle Express to get to the port.  

Hank

2 hours ago, AmberTeka said:

We have been there 4 times. I think that the key is clothes that can be layered. This makes you more flexible when it comes to weather, types of excursions, and all activities. I have never been there in June, but have heard that bugs can be a problem later in the summer. We have always done the early May cruises and layers worked every time. Also bring folding umbrellas and rain ponchos that can fit in you pockets.

Edited by Retired_to_Cruise

Layers as previous posters have said, are best. Prepare for hot & cold weather, as well as wet. 

A raincoat with a hood is essential. Waterproof the bill of a baseball hat to wear under your hood.

It works great to keep the rain off your face during snizzle & rain. 

Get a very comfortable pair of waterproof ankle length boots. Bring gloves also. We used all we brought. 

Alaska is a toss up weather wise. For us, it snizzled the entire week & we were happy to be prepared. 

We’ll do Alaska again sometime, as we can’t imagine how beautiful it must be in the sunshine! LOL 

I would consider the weather cool.  But being you (the OP) heralds from Florida it will likely be colder than what you experience in the winter.  A New Englander and a Floridain have different thresholds for what is considered hot or cold weather.

A few tips -

multiple layers are warmer than just a heavy jacket.  

You need a good rain jacket/wind breaker.

a winter hat is a good idea.  You lose a lot of heat thru your head.  

you might want winter gloves.  Most passengers won’t need them.  Just you and the others from very warm climates will be wearing them.  

When taking advise on how cold it will be keep in mind that someone from up north will have a higher tolerance for cold.  E.g when in December you are wearing your heaviest sweater and complaining about the cold and the tourists are wearing shorts and tees and are the only ones in the pool.

Our very first cruise was to Alaska, though on another cruise line. We cruised at the end of August. Our time in Glacier Bay was absolutely freezing-the blowing wind was fierce and cold. I had on a wool hat, scarf, gloves, and heavy jacket. It was difficult to stay outside for too long and I couldn't use binoculars because my eyes were watering from the cold wind. During the day, on the Lido deck for the entire cruise, you checked out blankets instead of towels. With all that great scenery, I spent all the time we could on a lounge chair by the railing on the upper decks, with a few blankets, just to take everything in. Rained in several ports, and during our visit to Mendenhall Glacier and whale watching boat ride. We had warm jackets under our ponchos-you will really need those layers! I'm not sure if the weather is that much warmer in June. 

The subject of what to wear for our Alaska cruise next month is doing my head in! As we are flying from the UK we are limited in our luggage - 23kg each - and so need to be smart on what we pack. Layers is definitely the way to go and a selection of t shirts, sweaters, long trousers and a good raincoat will hopefully suffice for daytime wear, along with a few shirts for evening. It's footwear that stumps me. My trusty leather hiking boots would be ideal if it's wet but a total pain if it's sunny. And they will take up a good slice of our luggage allowance. I didn't have this problem when I went to the Caribbean!

6 hours ago, AmberTeka said:

We took sweat hoodies and we were very comfortable.  

2 hours ago, vwgolf said:

The subject of what to wear for our Alaska cruise next month is doing my head in! As we are flying from the UK we are limited in our luggage - 23kg each - and so need to be smart on what we pack. Layers is definitely the way to go and a selection of t shirts, sweaters, long trousers and a good raincoat will hopefully suffice for daytime wear, along with a few shirts for evening. It's footwear that stumps me. My trusty leather hiking boots would be ideal if it's wet but a total pain if it's sunny. And they will take up a good slice of our luggage allowance. I didn't have this problem when I went to the Caribbean!

This might help.  Wear your boots on the plane. What we may do is mail coats, hat scarfs, possible boots to the first night hotel. Take limited clothes and possibly wash them. Mail heavy stuff. See what the price different would be to either pay for an extra bag vs mailing.  OR just wait until you get here in the US to buy some of the heavy stuff.  Just some suggestions. But, you still have figure how to get them back.  LOL  I had one friend, that bought her stuff at a second hand shop and then after the cruise, re-donated them so she wouldn't have to take them back. Coat, some sweats, shirts, one pair shoes. She packed a duffel bag to put her big stuff in to get on the boat. When done, duffel went flat in suite case. 

• Like 1