What Ports do you just stay on the ship

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I see Nassau quite regularly cross up as one of those ports where people choose to stay on board. Can I ask why?

My opinion:  When I see 5 cruise ships in the port with an average of 2000 people getting off each, that's around 10000 people ashore shopping in all the 'approved' shops for souvenirs that are made in China.  That's just not my idea of tourism or seeing a different country.  You may also be able to factor in all the aggressive and rude touts pushing their wares to the hordes of cruisers.

The experience is neither new, informative, or pleasant.  After one visit, you soon learn that there is,  "Nothing to see here, folks.  Just move along.  Move along."

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

I see Nassau quite regularly cross up as one of those ports where people choose to stay on board. Can I ask why?

For one, I've been there too many times.  It's included on way too many routes.  Two, I never really did like it.  It was always a dump and I've yet to be impressed by any tours.  The only thing I've really enjoyed was Atlantis, which is a manufactured resort having very little to do with Nassau itself. 

Thanks for the "heads up" regarding Nassau. This will be only our third port after 2 weeks at sea, so we may be tempted to scurry ashore for a change of scenery before rapidly returning to our ship.

OP here again.  Great feedback.  Went through all the posts and so far, here are the ones that got a minimum of 3 votes :

1) Bahamas 12

2) Jamaica 10

3) Mexico 6

4) Turkey 4

5) Italy 4

6) San Juan 3

I’ve also concluded to some degree that the grass is greener as Europeans prefer Caribbean to Europe and North Americans prefer Europe to the Caribbean (insane)

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Like 1

We have stayed on the ship a few times, but it is usually to rest.  There are several ports that we will not do without a tour like Jamaica, Roatan and Antigua.  Even the taxi drivers will rip you on Antigua.

On 8/6/2019 at 7:01 AM, 1980dory said:

Also refer to  post #23 for when clo DOES leave the ship. 

What was that they say about glass houses?  The speech police are watching your every move.

Watch your step, sail7.  You're being watched, very closely.  Don't let it happen again.

I'l  try to be more careful.

It feels very threatening around here these days,   :eeks:     🙄

I

image.png.4d855c279bbd3fe1ce2dc6f07a3f7380.png

1 hour ago, clackey said:

We have stayed on the ship a few times, but it is usually to rest.  There are several ports that we will not do without a tour like Jamaica, Roatan and Antigua.  Even the taxi drivers will rip you on Antigua.

Isn't it rather universal taxi drivers will  riip off   when they  can

?image.png.de435ae3cfe6d604d35a3c1b028f0115.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

1 minute ago, sail7seas said:

Isn't it rather universal taxi drivers will  riip off   when they  can

?image.png.de435ae3cfe6d604d35a3c1b028f0115.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Sorry for off topic post, but something is seriously wrong with your signature.  It comes up different every time and with a lot of space and line breaks. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

OP here again.  Great feedback.  Went through all the posts and so far, here are the ones that got a minimum of 3 votes :

1) Bahamas 12

2) Jamaica 10

3) Mexico 6

4) Turkey 4

5) Italy 4

6) San Juan 3

I’ve also concluded to some degree that the grass is greener as Europeans prefer Caribbean to Europe and North Americans prefer Europe to the Caribbean (insane)

Please don't gerneralize.      I lam American and love the beaches in Spain    Marbella is  hard to beat thtuough     the baches in Protugal do  compete.  Well of course   they do .    IBeria      🙂

I ALSO have spent  Many, many,  weeks/ months of my life in Caribbean and never tire of it.   

San Juan is  One  of my   favorite port calls in the Caribbean. Have had so  much fun and wonderfful  visits i  San Juan.  

image.png.bdf2650227a223d62d8bb2ad21478e82.png

Edited by sail7seas

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Sorry for off topic post, but something is seriously wrong with your signature.  It comes up different every time and with a lot of space and line breaks. 

Isn't it common  word wide for Some  taxi drivers to cheat   their riders, now and then using  various methods?

1 hour ago, sail7seas said:

Isn't it rather universal taxi drivers will  riip off   when they can.

I don't know if it is universal, but we were ripped off by a taxi driver while in Athens on an Eastern Mediterranean cruise.

On 8/6/2019 at 10:30 AM, wowzz said:

1.  Because this port is almost always on any Eastern Caribbean Itineraries we go on and we like going to the other islands on those itineraries.

2.  Since we have been to Nassau many times now we have seen all the attractions there that we want to see there...quite frankly we were not impressed with any of them and felt they were a waste of money.

3.  Nassau is always overcrowded both with tourists and vendors.

4.  The vendors in Nassau are extremely pushy and aggressive.  A sure way not to get me to purchase anything there.

• Like 1

Great feedback everyone .  Looks like this post has run its natural course so I bid you all farewell

I'm so glad we had this time together

Just to have a laugh or sing a song

Seems we just get started

and before you know it

Comes the time we have to say

So long

Goodnight!

(Ear pull)

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

On 7/23/2019 at 9:49 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Most Caribbean and Mexican ports - but then I am not likely to sail there any more except to just escape a couple weeks of northeast winter - when staying on board and having most of the ship to ourselves is attractive.

I completely agree with you!

5 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Great feedback everyone .  Looks like this post has run its natural course so I bid you all farewell

I'm so glad we had this time together

Just to have a laugh or sing a song

Seems we just get started

and before you know it

Comes the time we have to say

So long

Goodnight!

(Ear pull)

We're sure going to miss Luckie!

And as the late Billy Mays would say.  "But wait.  There's more"!

3 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Thanks Dory

The fat lady didn't sing yet.. (Oops, not   PC  and ll that..    oh well !! )  🙂

image.png.32b15ad1e65a1860521a4f95700603f8.png

Edited by sail7seas

23 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

The fat lady didn't sing yet.. (Oops, not   PC  and ll that..    oh well !! )  🙂

image.png.32b15ad1e65a1860521a4f95700603f8.png

Oh my!  Now you've done it!  Perhaps you could have called her pleasingly plump or even un-dieted.

Nonetheless, I'm sure you'll be blacklisted for this.  Oh no ! Now I've done it !  Can't use colors.  Now the speech police are going to get me too.  Oh well. At least I'll have you for company in the speech jail.

P.S.  Please bring a file.

Remember the good old days when no one got offended and everyone got along because no ill intent was meant.

1 hour ago, 1980dory said:

Oh my!  Now you've done it!  Perhaps you could have called her pleasingly plump or even un-dieted.

Nonetheless, I'm sure you'll be blacklisted for this.  Oh no ! Now I've done it !  Can't use colors.  Now the speech police are going to get me too.  Oh well. At least I'll have you for company in the speech jail.

P.S.  Please bring a file.

Remember the good old days when no one got offended and everyone got along because no ill intent was meant.

Hey Dory, 

As you likely know, the preceding comments  to mine   are wsell known and part of Ameican'color' as often used  quotes...............    You'll   have  lots of  fast atlking to do to convince  me   (and likely many here) you never heard,the   quote that   'it  doesn't    end      until  the    'fat lady sings?  !    Duh..  

Sound familiar to you now?   😉  

image.png.c63d9d806149a4873955f5b054214463.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

4 hours ago, 1980dory said:

I've always been familiar with the phrase.  Are you taking tongue in cheek humor as serious comment???

I read your written words.

🙂 

. image.png.132ed2aa3ecaa3e6ad31f6a4cff67ee1.png

Edited by sail7seas