What Ports do you just stay on the ship

15 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Wow — I can see being tired of/unimpressed by Jamaica or the other islands named - but all of Italy??? Wow!

You have an American perspective and Kim, and me too, has an European perspective.

For me a cruise in the Caribbean is a much bigger experience than most trips we can do in Europe. We are planning to cruise in the Mediterranean next time but then it will be much more about the ship than about the ports. If we go to Italy I will probably stay on the ship because I have been there too many times to really care about it.

We will embark in Barcelona and will enjoy a few days there before the cruise because we have only been there once.

If I say that I stay on the ship in Nassau people here ask why but if I say that I have stayed on the ship in Marseilles and Naples noone cares. I guess that may be a European way to see things!

Edited by sverigecruiser

I think some folks forget that a drive between States here in the US often equates to a drive between countries in Europe. We all form opinions based on our experiences. I like the thread and chance for discussion. However, some of the questions have come off as judgmental. 

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 1

My sister was an exchange student in Winnipeg many years ago. ( I know that's in Canada and not in the US! ) The class was asked how many countries thay had been in and most said two, Canada and United States. If I remember correct one said three, Canada, United States and Mexico. My sister must had said something around 15. That is the European perspective!

People living in the Southern parts of Sweden can probably drive to more than ten countries in less than a day!  

• Like 1

There seem to be a handful of ports that are named very frequently.  That raises the question.... Why are these ports included in of so many cruise line itineraries?  One might get the impression that the cruise lines don't really care?

@mnocket I think it may have more to do with most of the ships appear to have more first time cruisers that will visit most, if not all, of the ports. My choice, Nassau,  I believe is an easy stop to include based on location, cost for ship to dock, infrastructure for tourists and the ships themselves. I've been twice and I'm not getting off in September b/c I booked this cruise as a filler before my Mexican Riviera cruise in January. It's more of a relaxing getaway (as someone else mentioned). 

Edited by JennyB1977

14 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

@mnocket I think it may have more to do with most of the ships appear to have more first time cruisers that will visit most, if not all, of the ports. My choice, Nassau,  I believe is an easy stop to include based on location, cost for ship to dock, infrastructure for tourists and the ships themselves. I've been twice and I'm not getting off in September b/c I booked this cruise as a filler before my Mexican Riviera cruise in January. It's more of a relaxing getaway (as someone else mentioned). 

You're probably right, but sure wish cruise lines would develop some new ports of call.  

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

People living in the Southern parts of Sweden can probably drive to more than ten countries in less than a day!  

And it's 857 miles on Interstate Highway 10 from the Louisiana - Texas border to the Texas - New Mexico border! That's way over a 1 day trip.😳

2 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

And it's 857 miles on Interstate Highway 10 from the Louisiana - Texas border to the Texas - New Mexico border! That's way over a 1 day trip.😳

And California is almost 800 miles up I-5 and 840 along the coast.

6 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

So the perspectives are defenitely different.. I'm not at all interested in the LCC ( Low Cost Carriers, in Europe for example Ryanair) so for me it cost much more but other people can probably do a weekend t rip from Sweden to most countries in Europe for less than $500. Then a short stop on a cruise is less interesting.

• Like 1

I have more historical buildings (300+ years old) within 30min from my home then most people in the US have within 10 hrs. 

This is the castle in my hometown.

That's why beaches are our main goal when we cruise.

These are the places I have been to so far.

Antigua - 2015

Aruba- 2013, 2015 & 2017

The Azores (Portugal) – 2017

Austria - 2018

Barbados - 2012 & 2015

Bonaire - 2015 & 2017

British Virgin Islands - 2012

Bulgaria - 2004

Colombia - 2016

Costa Rica - 2016

Costa Maya (Mexico main land) - 2017

Cozumel (Mexico) - 2013, 2016 & 2017

Crete (Greece) - 2006 & 2007

Curaçao - 2017

Cyprus - 2011

Denmark - several times, last time 2019

Dominica - 2012 & 2015

Egypt - 2008

Estonia – 2013 & 2018

Finland - 2001, 2013, 2014 & 2015

France – 2016 & 2018 x2

Germany - 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2013, 2016 & 2018

Gran Canaria (Spain) - 1986, 1997, 1998, 2005

Grand Bahama (Bahamas) - 2012

Grand Cayman - 2016 & 2017

Grenada - 2015

Haiti – 2013, 2017, 2019 x2

Holland - 2004, 2007 x 2, 2013

Italy – 2011 & 2018 x2

Jamaica - 2013

Latvia - 2013

Little Stirrup Cay (Bahamas) - 2016

Mallorca (Spain) - 2001, 2011 & 2017

Malta - 2018

Mauritius - 2016

New Providence (Bahamas) – 2016 & 2018

Norway - 2013

Panama - 2016

Puerto Rico (Usa) – 2012 & 2019 x2

Poland - Several times in the late 80:ies & 2014

Portugal (main land) - 2018

Rhodes (Greece) - 2014

St. Kitts - 2012 & 2015

St. Maarten – 2012, 2015, 2018 & 2019 x2

St. Thomas – 2015, 2018 & 2019

St. Lucia - 2015

Spain (main land) -2011 & 2018 x2

Sweden - 1981-2019

Tenerife (Spain) - 2001

Thailand - 2012

Turkey - 1996, 2014 & 2015

U.K - 1996, 2003, 2011, 2013, 2017, 2018 & 2019

Usa - 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 x2

The Vatican state 2011

Cruises (not counting a lot of 2nts ferry cruises in the Baltic sea):

2011 NCL Epic West Med.

2012 Serenade Of The Seas South East Caribbean

2014 Allure Of The Seas West Caribbean

2015 Legend Of The Seas South East Caribbean

2015 Legend Of The Seas South East Caribbean

2016 Majesty Of The Seas Bahamas

2016 Celebrity Equinox South West Caribbean

2017 Navigator Of The Seas South East Caribbean

2017 Freedom Of The Seas West Caribbean

2018 MSC Meravigilia Genoa to Hamburg

2018 Celebrity Equinox East Caribbean

2018 MSC Seaview West Med.

2019 Harmony Of The Seas East Caribbean

2019 Independence Of The Seas East Caribbean & Transatlantic 

Booked:

2019 Radiance Of The Seas Vancouver to Hawaii

2019 Jewel Of The Seas Persian Gulf

2020 Freedom Of The Seas ABC-ISLANDS + St Maarten.

I think that this list makes it easy to see what's important for me/us.

DJIPANO_1300591258.jpg

1 minute ago, clo said:

So that first list is non-cruises?

PS:  I'm not much for castles.

No, I get the impression that if Kim spends 4 hours in a country as part of a cruise, then he can add that country to his visited list. It's quantity over quality.

• Like 1

Very impressive list Kim. How many of those places were you in for more than half a day at a time? 

"I think that this list makes it easy to see what's important for me/us"

it appears that what is important to you is racking up a long list of places you've stepped foot in.. But did you actually get to experience anything other than photo ops and a day trip excursion?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wowzz said:

No, I get the impression that if Kim spends 4 hours in a country as part of a cruise, then he can add that country to his visited list. It's quantity over quality.

Can I add onto my list the airports/countries I've connected through too :classic_laugh:

Just now, Ashland said:

Can I add onto my list the airports/countries I've connected through too :classic_laugh:

Don't give him ideas! He'll probably decide to write off a whole country (like Italy) based on an airport transit lounge!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mnocket said:

You're probably right, but sure wish cruise lines would develop some new ports of call.  

Where is left? Do those places really want thousands of tourists?

4 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

I think some folks forget that a drive between States here in the US often equates to a drive between countries in Europe. We all form opinions based on our experiences. I like the thread and chance for discussion. However, some of the questions have come off as judgmental. 

Judgemental? Surprised?

And then of course there are the humble brags.

And now returning to the topic of this thread:  we also remain on the ship in St Thomas these days.  It’s been a port on almost every Caribbean cruise we’ve had and except perhaps for a catamaran excursion, we’re not that interested.  

Edited by LoriPhil

Well since this is a topic named: "What Ports do you just stay on the ship", my list is valid no matter if I stayed there for two weeks or a day..

But to make it easy for you, there's only a few places that I have been in North America and the Caribbean for longer stays then a cruise stop:

Florida Keys 5nts

Miami, not sure how many nights in total.

Fort Lauderdale, not sure how many nights.

Aruba 14nts + two cruise stops.

Freeport, Bahamas, 3 or 4 nights.

Cartagena, Colombia, 1 night during a cruise stop.

San Juan 3 or 4nts + 3 cruise stops.

In the Med:

14nts in Mallorca + one cruise stop.

14nts in Crete.

14nts in Turkey + one cruise stop.

7nts in Rhodes.

7nts in Cyprus.

With other words, Italy, France, Malta and mainland Portugal (not in the Med, but still) have only been during cruise stops.

But still, if someone tour an island during a cruise stop or stay one week in side the compound of an All inc.-resort who get to see most of the true island?

After all the topic is about cruise ports.

Edited by Extra Kim

41 minutes ago, Ashland said:

That's funny.  We have a very fun map of the world and put pins in when we visit a country  WE.  Bob lived in Germany in the army and then did a lot of intl business travel so we don't count that.  He mentioned Germany and I pointed out that I've changed planes in Germany 🙂

3 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

But still, if someone tour an island during a cruise stop or stay one week in side the compound of an All inc.-resort who get to see most of the true island?

Well, since we rent cars and drive all over a country or countries, do we get to count for even more?

20 minutes ago, clo said:

That's funny.  We have a very fun map of the world and put pins in when we visit a country  WE.  Bob lived in Germany in the army and then did a lot of intl business travel so we don't count that.  He mentioned Germany and I pointed out that I've changed planes in Germany 🙂

I just got (my Bob) a really nice large world map on Amazon for father's day. And waiting for him to hang it so we can finally put all our pins on...I love this idea.

3 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I just got (my Bob) a really nice large world map on Amazon for father's day. And waiting for him to hang it so we can finally put all our pins on...I love this idea.

Here's ours.  Got it in a map, globe shop in Seattle.

You also might like this site.  You can see the little tokens on the map.  We haven't finished it yet cause in Europe it's gotten a little crowded 🙂

https://thewanderclub.co/?_ke=eyJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJjYXRob2xpdmVyQGFvbC5jb20iLCAia2xfY29tcGFueV9pZCI6ICJRTXFxM0YifQ%3D%3D

20190725_160955.jpg

49 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Well since this is a topic named: "What Ports do you just stay on the ship", my list is valid no matter if I stayed there for two weeks or a day..

But to make it easy for you, there's only a few places that I have been in North America and the Caribbean for longer stays then a cruise stop:

Florida Keys 5nts

Miami, not sure how many nights in total.

Fort Lauderdale, not sure how many nights.

Aruba 14nts + two cruise stops.

Freeport, Bahamas, 3 or 4 nights.

Cartagena, Colombia, 1 night during a cruise stop.

San Juan 3 or 4nts + 3 cruise stops.

In the Med:

14nts in Mallorca + one cruise stop.

14nts in Crete.

14nts in Turkey + one cruise stop.

7nts in Rhodes.

7nts in Cyprus.

With other words, Italy, France, Malta and mainland Portugal (not in the Med, but still) have only been during cruise stops.

After all the topic is about cruise ports.

Not such an impressive list after all