What Ports do you just stay on the ship

2 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

Istanbul and Ephesus (Kusadasi) are two of my favorite ports of all time. I will agree that an Istanbul visit would be subject to the political situation at that time.

I've cruised there but agree with you about Istanbul and Ephesus.  I read about an Azamara cruise where, after dinner, they took pax to Ephesus for a night time concert.  How wonderful.

To me, there's always something to do...or just get off and walk around. Even somewhere like Nassau, which most people seem to dislike, will see me getting off and at least walking around for an hour or so. I may get back on the ship and spend the majority of the day there, but I at least like to step off.

We always get off for a bit, even in ports that are just way station type ports.  As nice as any ship is, its a ship, already spent enough time there, even with crowds gone I find the fun on land to be better than any amenity on the ship, LOL

I research ports before the cruise and I’m always able to find something interesting to do or see....even places like Livorno and Naples where we’ve been several times.  It is a game to me to find an off the beaten path place that we enjoy.

43 minutes ago, Wayfairers said:

I research ports before the cruise and I’m always able to find something interesting to do or see....even places like Livorno and Naples where we’ve been several times.  It is a game to me to find an off the beaten path place that we enjoy.

And I can always find an interesting and good place to eat!

2 hours ago, clo said:

I've cruised there but agree with you about Istanbul and Ephesus.  I read about an Azamara cruise where, after dinner, they took pax to Ephesus for a night time concert.  How wonderful.

I did the same evening concert at the Library of Ephesus with Crystal. My second time at Ephesus we had a retired archaeologist who had worked there since the late 1960s as one of the guides. He was always saying things like, "I dug that up in 1975"!!

We intentionally stay on the ship in Freeport because we find it fascinating to watch the commercial traffic and the drydock operations.  Plus the water is fabulously beautiful there.

In some ports we leave the ship, but primarily to stroll along the dock and look at our ship from that level.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Interesting selection. What ports would you say are most worth repeating?

To be honest, I loved the Port of Naples, but really just looking at the beauty of the buildings directly from the ship.

And I did really love Pompeii.

Palma, as you could have a day out at the party resort of Magaluf. Or visit other places on the island.

And I think I would like more time in Barcelona.

3 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Istanbul and Ephesus (Kusadasi) are two of my favorite ports of all time. I will agree that an Istanbul visit would be subject to the political situation at that time.

I have a few places I want to avoid for political reasons, for example Turkey, Cuba and North Korea! I mentioned Turkey because Turkey can be difficult to avoid on a Eastern Mediterranean cruise. If I ever cruise in that area I will not leave the ship in Turkey.

20 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I have a few places I want to avoid for political reasons, for example Turkey, Cuba and North Korea! I mentioned Turkey because Turkey can be difficult to avoid on a Eastern Mediterranean cruise. If I ever cruise in that area I will not leave the ship in Turkey.

What about Hong Kong? Certainly has more unrest now than Istanbul.

So far we have stayed on the ship twice in Nassau, once in Grand Cayman, once in Cozumel, and once in Belize.  Our next cruise to Grand Cayman and Jamaica we will probably not get off at all.  All of these islands we have been to multiple times.  We are well past the stage where we feel we need to get off the ship or we will miss something.  We have always gotten off when the kids were with us and done some type of excursion, beach day, or shopping.  But when it is just the 2 of us our usual vacation goal is to just relax...which is pretty easy to do with an empty ship.  It is these type of cruises that I come home feeling the most rejuvenated.

Even though I might have been to a port 3 or 4 times, I always get off the ship just to take a walk.  I have this thing about putting my feet on the ground in case something happens and I have to spend the rest of my life on that ship, lol.

Even though I might have been to a port 3 or 4 times, I always get off the ship just to take a walk.  I have this thing about putting my feet on the ground in case something happens and I have to spend the rest of my life on that ship, lol.

39 minutes ago, Warm Breezes said:

So far we have stayed on the ship twice in Nassau, once in Grand Cayman, once in Cozumel, and once in Belize.  Our next cruise to Grand Cayman and Jamaica we will probably not get off at all.  All of these islands we have been to multiple times.  We are well past the stage where we feel we need to get off the ship or we will miss something.  We have always gotten off when the kids were with us and done some type of excursion, beach day, or shopping.  But when it is just the 2 of us our usual vacation goal is to just relax...which is pretty easy to do with an empty ship.  It is these type of cruises that I come home feeling the most rejuvenated.

I'm curious why you go to the same ports over and over again if you're not interested in them.  Have you been everywhere you've ever wanted to go?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Warm Breezes said:

I am with you , Caribbean cruises for us is to relax , I sometimes do not even look at ports to see if it’s a eastern or western Caribbean cruise, after 50 Caribbean cruises, pay more attention to ship and entertainment, love music charters with big name entertainment and suite perks.

1 hour ago, sverigecruiser said:

I don't know enough about politics in Puerto Rico to avoid San Juan for political reasons.

There is a temporary situation:  rioting in the streets in protest of the current governor - I do not know much about the politics - just that it is not a good place to visit just now.

18 minutes ago, clo said:

I'm curious why you go to the same ports over and over again if you're not interested in them.  Have you been everywhere you've ever wanted to go?

The ports offered on a particular itinerary are not the only reason for considering a sailing.I have a huge list of places I have yet to visit; and we have decided that a few hours are not sufficient to see most of those places.  So, we are taking QM2 from New York to the Caribbean 12/22- 1/3. We will probably stay aboard at a number of ports, as we are essentially Caribbeaned-out.

She is the only large ship we like,  we can board/debark about an hour from home, we like to escape some cold weather around here, so this year we are taking a vacation from Christmas decorating, local parties, etc. 

• Like 1