What Ports do you just stay on the ship

11 minutes ago, clo said:

So you've really never been to the US.  

Yes, Kim has been to 3 places in Florida, which means he can add the US to his list!  I don't think he realises how superficial his travel experience are. As I said previously, he's been to lots of countries,  sometimes for as long as 4 hours, but he's actually visited very few.

Edited by wowzz

4 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Yes, Kim has been to 3 places in Florida, which means he can add the US to his list!  I don't think he realises how superficial his travel experience are. As I said previously, he's been to lots of countries,  sometimes for as long as 4 hours, but he's actually visited very few.

I think it's kinda pitiful honestly.  I could off the top of my head name 20/30/50 not to miss places in the US.  And Canada and Mexico.  I know people who don't travel cause they can't afford it but if one can and doesn't it's IMO quite sad.

image.jpeg.4c296dd94c26c0c1d35c039179e5b489.jpeg

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

Not such an impressive list after all 

Should I list every night in ever country I have been to? Since I have only crusied in the Caribbean (including one TA) and the Med, I listed those places where I have been on land holidays in those two areas. Why would I list the nights for all other places I have been to since they all have been land holidays? 

But to name a few, here you go:

Thailand 21nts

Mauritius 10 or 11nts

Gran Canaria 28 nts

The Azores 7 nts

Tenerife 7nts

The UK 17 or 18nts

Bulgaria 7 nts

Poland I don't even know how may times I have been there, several. How many nights? Even more.

And so on.

Does it even matter to anyone but me? Since it's my experiences, no one else.

My point from the start was that we mostly travel to sunny and warm places to escape the cold Swedish winters.

39 minutes ago, clo said:

So you've really never been to the US.  

Well I have, several times but mostly only to leave for the Caribbean. I don't want to see New York or any other big cities, since I don't like big cities.

Edited by Extra Kim
Spelling

39 minutes ago, wowzz said:

4 hours? I have never been on ANY cruise that stops for 4 hours. But then add Newark to the list since we changed planes there 😂 

Now tell us all about your monthly long visits you have done to countries all over the world... 😉

Edited by Extra Kim

13 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Should I list every night in ever country I have been to? Since I have only crusied in the Caribbean (including one TA) and the Med, I listed those places where I have been on land holidays in those two areas. Why would I list the nights for all other places I have been to since they all have been land holidays? 

But to name a few, here you go:

Thailand 21nts

Mauritius 10 or 11nts

Gran Canaria 28 nts

The Azores 7 nts

Tenerife 7nts

The UK 17 or 18nts

Bulgaria 7 nts

Poland I don't even know how may times I have been there, several. How many nights? Even more.

And so on.

Does it even matter to anyone but me? Since it's my experiences, no one else.

My point from the start was that we mostly travel to sunny and warm places to escape the cold Swedish winters.

Well I have, several times but mostly only to leave for the Caribbean. I don't want to see New York or any other big cities, since I don't like big cities.

So you think the US is all big cities?  Just wow.

1 hour ago, Extra Kim said:

The UK 17 or 18nts

Bulgaria 7 nts

Like Poland, Bulgaria and the UK ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, clo said:

So you think the US is all big cities?  Just wow.

?????  Said he didn't want to visit NYC or other big cities because he doesn't like big cities.  He didn't say all cities in America are big cities.   So really not understanding your "just wow" comment.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Difference between mostly and exclusively, I guess.    

Anyway, not directed at you specifically, but I'm not following why everyone is ganging up on ExtraKim's travel list.  Seems extensive to me.  And, as we all know one of the downsides to cruses is limited time at ports.  I guess that makes most of our travels superficial.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Did you miss the part with "mostly"?

All three have been during the summer (Poland might have been any seson since I have been there a lot as a kid).

Just Google, Sopot in Poland and Sunny Beach in Bulgaria. About the UK, I have been two times to London and one time I did a road trip around the south west part of the country.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wowzz said:

No, I get the impression that if Kim spends 4 hours in a country as part of a cruise, then he can add that country to his visited list. It's quantity over quality.

But if you have been 4 hours in a country you have been to that country even if YOU may not think that counts.

As Kim said this thread is about ports on cruises and not about long stays.

I defenitely agree with Kim that a portday in Italy isn't interesting. I have a sister who lives in Italy so I have been there enough and feel that it gives me more to stay on the ship than spend a few rushed hours in Italy.  

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Ashland said:

Can I add onto my list the airports/countries I've connected through too :classic_laugh:

If you are interested in airports you defenitely can add that to your list. You decide what's important for you.

I don't say that I have been in for example Chicago or Houston because I have only connected there but that is my choice. It's not up to me to decide what's important.

Who decide if it's more important to visit Colosseum in Rome than Fiumcino outside Rome?  

• Like 2

This is getting stupid 🤦‍♂️

People (including my self) go to one port in Jamaica and say that they don't need to go back to Jamaica. Everyone is fine with that.. But when I have been to Genoa, Livorno (Pisa / Florence), Civitavecchia (Rome / The Vatican state), Naples and Messina and feel that I don't need to return to Italy, people lose their minds.. Why? Because I don't like the same things that you do? 

So far every trip I have done to the U.S, except the one to Florida Keys, have been with the goal to get on a cruise ship and cruise to the Caribbean. If it had been easy and economical I would have started every cruise in the Caribbean, then I wouldn't need to spend cruising time going from/to Florida. 

It's not that I doesn't like the US, it's just that my goal with my trips isn't the US.

Since both I and my wife is working full time, we have a limited free time and have to prioritize our travels. I would like to go to Iceland, but since I prioritize sun and beaches more I won't go to Iceland right now. To me that's just how things work. It's the same with the US, sure I would like to see Grand Canyon and other places but right now I prioritize the Caribbean higher.

Not sure why people care, we have done five cruises and one ferry cruise to Estonia since April 2018 and we have been to Åhus, Kolmården and Gotland in Sweden on weekend trips. All of this with our daughter that was born in late December 2017. To me that's a lot and if I could I would have done even more, but I can't (well we have the cruise to Hawaii in September and the cruise in the Persian Gulf from Dubai in December). If others are able to travel more, good for them.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

People (including my self) go to one port in Jamaica and say that they don't need to go back to Jamaica. Everyone is fine with that.. But when I have been to Genoa, Livorno (Pisa / Florence), Civitavecchia (Rome / The Vatican state), Naples and Messina and feel that I don't need to return to Italy, people lose their minds.. Why? Because I don't like the same things that you do? 

Exactly how I feel. Noone here on cc question why I stay on the ship in Nassau but lots of people question why I should stay on the ship in Turkey.

Yesterday we took a trip around lake Siljan. We saw lots of beautiful places which tourists from around the world travel to but for us it was just a small trip over the day. It was a very nice day but I still feel that I missed a tough mountain stage in Tour de France at TV!  Perspectives are different!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, mnocket said:

There seem to be a handful of ports that are named very frequently.  That raises the question.... Why are these ports included in of so many cruise line itineraries?  One might get the impression that the cruise lines don't really care?

But they do care.  From the cruise line perspective, in the caribbean theres usually less distances to travel meaning less fuel burned.  More frequent ports means less passengers on board and less expenses for food, entertainment and fuel while 'parked'.  And with that there's the hard sell for the exotic and beautiful nature of the ports.  For me, in reality, it's usually just another tourist trap with masses and hordes of cruisers shopping in 'approved' shops selling the same old Chinese junk.

After going to Nassau with 4 or 5 cruise ships docked and literally thousands upon thousands of tourists everywhere, it's just not the beautiful Caribbean destination you  imagined.

After you've seen one port, you've seen them all and there is little to nothing that is really new.

Staying on board gets to be more and more attractive where one can really just relax.

Bottom line for the cruise line: Less expenses=more profit.  Put the lipstick on the pig.

2 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

So far every trip I have done to the U.S, except the one to Florida Keys, have been with the goal to get on a cruise ship and cruise to the Caribbean. If it had been easy and economical I would have started every cruise in the Caribbean, then I wouldn't need to spend cruising time going from/to Florida. 

It's not that I doesn't like the US, it's just that my goal with my trips isn't the US.

Since both I and my wife is working full time, we have a limited free time and have to prioritize our travels. I would like to go to Iceland, but since I prioritize sun and beaches more I won't go to Iceland right now. To me that's just how things work. It's the same with the US, sure I would like to see Grand Canyon and other places but right now I prioritize the Caribbean higher.

Not sure why people care, we have done five cruises and one ferry cruise to Estonia since April 2018 and we have been to Åhus, Kolmården and Gotland in Sweden on weekend trips. All of this with our daughter that was born in late December 2017. To me that's a lot and if I could I would have done even more, but I can't (well we have the cruise to Hawaii in September and the cruise in the Persian Gulf from Dubai in December). If others are able to travel more, good for them.

Kim,

Your first sentence says it all!  Thanks.

21 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

You have an American perspective and Kim, and me too, has an European perspective.

For me a cruise in the Caribbean is a much bigger experience than most trips we can do in Europe.

If I say that I stay on the ship in Nassau people here ask why but if I say that I have stayed on the ship in Marseilles and Naples noone cares. I guess that may be a European way to see things!

Great point.  I think we all vacation in our price point.    What you have seen on your side "of the pond" is probably "been there, done that."  What we see over and over on our side "of the pond" is "been there, done that." 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

I think some folks forget that a drive between States here in the US often equates to a drive between countries in Europe. We all form opinions based on our experiences. I like the thread and chance for discussion. However, some of the questions have come off as judgmental. 

Great point.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DarrenM said:

well it is isnt it? Obviously apart from the Cowboy bit. That bit where they chase Indians on horses.

Reminiscent of Queen Victoria's expressed disbelief of the colors shown in a (realistic) painting of New England's autumn woodland - she insisted that the artist had let his imagination run wild.