Alaska 2021 - HAL no longer sails from Seward (or any other Alaskan city) ?

SempreMare

I was looking to book a 2021 summer cruise to Alaska and excited to see the 2021 options now available, 

... but then disappointed to see that HAL no longer sails to or from Seward anymore.

Ex: like the Westerdam now sails to and from Seward, which gives great proximity to the Kenai Fjords amazing sights and nature.

In "Departure Ports" search filter selections, I see  Whittier as shaded light grey, as though it could BE a departure port. 

However, when I click on it, the box does not turn a darker color, like it does for Seattle and Vancouver.  So it looks like the only Alaska 2021 cruises are round trips to and from Seattle and Vancouver ? 

Based on what people say here and on the Alaska forum, a Seattle or Vancouver same city round trip Alaskan cruise is less desirable than one that starts in Alaska and ends in Vancouver.  (you see fewer amazing sights).  Advantage is round trip flight planning is easier, but I don't care about that advantage.

Could this mean that more cruises are in process being planned that sail to and from Whittier? 

image.png.5caa90c8fd8f3a43b606c3599aed1120.png

"Plan a Cruise" Search link for:  Destination = Alaska,  Dates = all months of summer 2021

Have you ever seen HAL add cruises after posting them this far ahead? 

Or is this pretty much set... (barring Cuba type situations or weather)

Edited by SempreMare

I don’t believe Alaska is fully loaded yet. I’ll be on the Westy doing S.A. And ending in Vancouver on 5/5/21. I would think it would be going north to Alaska from Vancouver but the ship is not listed. Perhaps heading to Far East? 

26 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

I am seeing Noordam and N. Amsterdam northbound Vancouver to Whittier 7 days and then southbound, in 2021

Thank you @SilvertoGold

I can see that by searching by ship (for N. Amsterdam)  but not by Departure port of Whittier.  Yet, clearly with that search I can see that it departs from Whittier ! 

Bummer.  Seward seems like it has much more to offer than Whittier.

Though they are only 2 hours apart by Google Maps.  But there's the Whittier tunnel X-factor that (from what I've read, not experienced) can make the journey longer.

Hello HAL IT:  Please fix your database tables.

Edited by SempreMare

Princess has been in Whittier for a number of years. Maybe they are getting a deal to bring more ships in.

The locals know the Whittier tunnel very well, and plan their movements accordingly. I don't think it's a problem for them. Just for non-locals. And I have been there.

Alaska 2021:

Eurodam and Oosterdam 7nt r/t Seattle

Konigsdam and Volendam 7nt r/t Vancouver 

Nieuw Amsterdam and Noordam 7nt North/South between Vancouver and Whittier

Maasdam 14nt r/t Vancouver 

My guess is Westerdam goes to Europe in 2021 replacing Nieuw Amsterdam in Venice and the Mediterranean. Putting Nieuw Amsterdam in Vancouver gives a small capacity bump in the North/South Alaska market. 

The move to Whittier vs Seward allows Princess and HAL to consolidate shore service staff, provisioning etc at one port which will save money.  Since they are now both part of the same “group” within Carnival Corp this makes sense. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

3 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The locals know the Whittier tunnel very well, and plan their movements accordingly. I don't think it's a problem for them. Just for non-locals. 

Right

My interests are that of a non-local. 

It seems like Seward has more

- varied hotel  and B&B options

- local businesses and restaurants

- interesting port tours

Current locals who moved there from the lower 48 describe it as an ideal place to make a "home base" while exploring the Kenai.

Whittier does have a rental car agency, but it's an Avis.   

Seward has Hertz.

So that means I could not stay in Seward and then drop off my rental car in Whittier. 

A transfer means less flexibility. 

In addition to all the above advantages, departing from Seward I can get luggage onto the ship from rental car in 2 waves,  drop off my rental car, and take the shuttle back to the cruise port. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the information.  I’m glad Alaska 2021 is posted. We will book while on board our August 4th cruise.  I’m ok with Whittier - actually it will allow us to shorten our DYI land tour by one day and still do small boat tour - just in Whittier instead of Seward.  

Googling "Whittier" is interesting.  Scenery is certainly beautiful.  I can imagine the sailout would be great.  Princess appears to be the only one (this year) that uses Whittier and the dock should hold two ships. Small town (smaller than Skagway?).  I look at this from an intransit point of view and it looks uninteresting other than a boat tour.  Looking forward to this change and seeing how it works.

Just took a look at the 5/16/2021 7-day Glacier Discovery Southbound itinerary for the Nieuw Amsterdam --- love it!  As someone who has been to Alaska many times, it does my heart good to see this combo.  Now, just waiting to see what the other cruise lines will be offering for 2021.  Thanks to the OP for the information.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, swin26 said:

Thanks for the information.  I’m glad Alaska 2021 is posted. We will book while on board our August 4th cruise.  I’m ok with Whittier - actually it will allow us to shorten our DYI land tour by one day and still do small boat tour - just in Whittier instead of Seward.  

A day savings is definitely a good thing.

Looking at Google Maps of Whittier vs Seward, how  are you getting the extra day of time savings? 

As a former resident of Girdwood, Alaska (20 miles from Whittier as the crow flies), I'm very familiar with both towns. Yes, there is more to do in Seward. Whittier is a small town where everyone pretty much lives in the same building and there really isn't much to do in the town itself, so I wouldn't recommend spending the night there (if you could).  But, you are at least an hour closer to Anchorage for hotels,  flights out, or better, a chance to see more of Alaska. Also, Whittier is the gateway to Prince William Sound which is spectacularly beautiful (OK, this is Alaska and you will find breathtaking beauty at every turn). Both are on the Alaska Railroad lines for anyone looking for a rail based land tour. Looking at the 2021 itineraries (NA and Noordam), I see a couple of interesting things:

- departures from Whittier are at 5:00pm (vs. 8:00 pm in Seward) which should provide more prime time to enjoy the sights (more glaciers) on sailaway

- I noticed some southbound itineraries that include both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. It's rare to find itineraries with both today.

- I saw Haines on the southbound itineraries as well. This would really add to any B2Bs where they tend to simply duplicate all the ports northbound and southbound.

- Also, I see northbounds that include cruising College Fjord in Prince William Sound before docking in Whittier (lots more glaciers)

If you really want to do something in Whittier, I'm sure there will be some offerings on Prince William Sound for fishing, wildlife watching, or glacier viewing. Plan on spending the night in Anchorage (or Girdwood!).

I wouldn't say that Seward is any better (or worse) than Whittier. They are both great Alaskan towns that can do a good job handling the cruise ships.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SempreMare said:

A day savings is definitely a good thing.

Looking at Google Maps of Whittier vs Seward, how  are you getting the extra day of time savings? 

We were going to skip an overnight in Seward and hiking Exit Glacier and the aquarium.   

8 hours ago, kennystwin said:

As a former resident of Girdwood, Alaska (20 miles from Whittier as the crow flies), I'm very familiar with both towns. Yes, there is more to do in Seward. Whittier is a small town where everyone pretty much lives in the same building and there really isn't much to do in the town itself, so I wouldn't recommend spending the night there (if you could).  But, you are at least an hour closer to Anchorage for hotels,  flights out, or better, a chance to see more of Alaska. Also, Whittier is the gateway to Prince William Sound which is spectacularly beautiful (OK, this is Alaska and you will find breathtaking beauty at every turn). Both are on the Alaska Railroad lines for anyone looking for a rail based land tour. Looking at the 2021 itineraries (NA and Noordam), I see a couple of interesting things:

- departures from Whittier are at 5:00pm (vs. 8:00 pm in Seward) which should provide more prime time to enjoy the sights (more glaciers) on sailaway

- I noticed some southbound itineraries that include both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. It's rare to find itineraries with both today.

- I saw Haines on the southbound itineraries as well. This would really add to any B2Bs where they tend to simply duplicate all the ports northbound and southbound.

- Also, I see northbounds that include cruising College Fjord in Prince William Sound before docking in Whittier (lots more glaciers)

If you really want to do something in Whittier, I'm sure there will be some offerings on Prince William Sound for fishing, wildlife watching, or glacier viewing. Plan on spending the night in Anchorage (or Girdwood!).

I wouldn't say that Seward is any better (or worse) than Whittier. They are both great Alaskan towns that can do a good job handling the cruise ships.

Thanks for noticing the change in itineraries.  HAL has always done Haines on the southbound, but the addition of Hubbard and College Fjord is a huge plus!  The early departure from Whittier is also great.

• Like 1

There was a time years ago when the ship would stop at Sitka both ways rather than Haines or Skagway. Sitka is a very nice place.  In 2021 I would hope to do this run from Vancouver to Whittier on the Nieuw Amsterdam.

One drawback to the early departure time in Whittier is the missed opportunity to do the 26 Glacier tour.  If the vendor changes the timing of the tour then it would work out.  Otherwise, with a 12:30-5:30 tour time, it just can't happen.

Whittier is a more scenic sail in and departure than Seward.  Princess already sails out of Whittier so the facilities are available.  Princess sails on Saturday, HAL on Sunday.  This change should save on fuel for HAL.   HAL has added College Fjord which is near Whittier to its Northbound itineraries.  I think the change is a good one.  The itineraries would make a great back to back out of Vancouver.  

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

Whittier is a more scenic sail in and departure than Seward.  Princess already sails out of Whittier so the facilities are available.  Princess sails on Saturday, HAL on Sunday.  This change should save on fuel for HAL.   HAL has added College Fjord which is near Whittier to its Northbound itineraries.  I think the change is a good one.  The itineraries would make a great back to back out of Vancouver.  

My issue is with the B2B and what are people going to do the day they are in Whittier.  26 Glaciers runs a tour that doesn't end until 5:30 PM.  Sitting in Whittier with nothing to do is not appealing to me.  Don't get me wrong, I love the new itinerary, just not a fan of the 5 PM departure from Whittier.  Since this cruise is very similar to the B2B Princess I just took it will be a toss up as to which one I will take in 2021 --- Princess or HAL.