Bed for 3rd person on Symphony BW Balcony Room

Hi All!

I've been reading some posts from people who like us, have a third person in the room.  We have a Boardwalk Balcony on Symphony.  It seems like everyone says that they turn the couch into a bed the first night and leave it that way.  Is it in the way that way?  Do you miss having the couch (I'm more worried about space than not having the couch)?  Do they do this for the comfort of the third person thinking that they might want to take a nap during the day or is it to save time for the stateroom attendant.  I know that my son won't be napping during the day so we wouldn't need it made up but is it a big pain for them to remake it into a bed every night?  I don't want to cause a lot more work for anyone.  I just want to make sure that we will have room.  Thanks for any feedback from those who have experienced this.

I certainly hope they make it up each night so couch is available to sit on during the day.  Have Grand Suite booked on Harmony and would be in touch with head of housekeeping and Hotel Director is couch/bed is not taken care of each day.  Also, there would be no extra tips from us if room wasn't serviced to our liking.

Hope things are great in PGH.  Saw Pirates had a brawl with Reds yesterday.  Originally from Clarion but went to school in PGH.

Hope someone from Symphony has an answer for you.  We will be on Harmony.

From what I remember, the last time we cruised and had a sofa bed, your room attendant will fold the sofa bed out during turn-down service and back up when they come to clean your room in the morning. It's probably pretty standard by now and they're used to doing it every day, just becomes another part of maintaining the room. If you need to pull it out or put it up yourself for any reason, they're usually not hard to manipulate, but I think your room steward will be more than happy to take care of it for you. 🙂

4 hours ago, Cruisin Around said:

Hi All!

I've been reading some posts from people who like us, have a third person in the room.  We have a Boardwalk Balcony on Symphony.  It seems like everyone says that they turn the couch into a bed the first night and leave it that way.  Is it in the way that way?  Do you miss having the couch (I'm more worried about space than not having the couch)?  Do they do this for the comfort of the third person thinking that they might want to take a nap during the day or is it to save time for the stateroom attendant.  I know that my son won't be napping during the day so we wouldn't need it made up but is it a big pain for them to remake it into a bed every night?  I don't want to cause a lot more work for anyone.  I just want to make sure that we will have room.  Thanks for any feedback from those who have experienced this.

Our son had the setup for his daughter on Oasis. They open it at turn down and fold it back up at morning room makeup. When open there is less then a foot of clearance between the edge of the fold out and the desk. I believe the chair touches the bed. Our son would just fold it up when his daughter woke up.  If the bed is by the closet it is a total Pia to try to get to the balcony door. His daughter was thirteen and found the bed to be comfortable.  happy cruising

I was on Symphony in April, in room 10327.  There were 3 of us.  The 3rd person used the couch bed, however it's not like on some ships where it pulls out (we had been on Oasis the year before and that bed pulled out and they did fold it up daily).  The stateroom attendant took the cushions off the first night and stacked them on top of the dresser and made up the bed - it stayed like that all week.  The cushions on the dresser did make the room feel messy and reduced the space available to put things.  That was my biggest complaint. 

We did not ask the attendant to leave it or if they could remake as a couch daily, we just dealt with it.

Edited by mickeygirl78

5 hours ago, Cruisin Around said:

It seems like everyone says that they turn the couch into a bed the first night and leave it that way. 

We've been in appx. 20 balcony cabins with our daughter with sofa beds, and every time the room attendant made it back into a sofa in the morning, into a bed at night. 

Edited by bouhunter

If the sofa beds are the new type like on Harmony they are more like a daybed trundle type. The bottom stays floor height. In our Boardwalk balcony cabins it was returned to a sofa during the day and made into a bed at night.

• Like 1

Since OP says this is in reference to Symphony, I will say our 2 kids stayed in a room with a grandparent. The sofa beds on Symphony do NOT pull out--not like a trundle and not like a traditional sofa bed.  They make them up with sheets just sort of on top of couch--not totally sure if there is an extra "lip" or something (we were in a room nearby just for 2 and honestly I could see no difference btw our regular sofa and their "pull out" sofa--but I could be wrong).  In their room, the bed was never returned to a couch.  If I had been in the room, I would have asked for that, but the grandparent in the room didn't mind and never asked.  So I would assume you might need to ask your room attendant, and then maybe leave a little extra at end of cruise--I think it will mean that they will need to make up bed each night and dismantle each morning--I don't think they fold up or anything like the old sofa beds.

• Like 1

I have pictures in my report of the Boardwalk Room with the sofa bed (post 4).

First picture shows when you enter the room the first time (i.e. actual sofa).  

Second picture shows at night (we came with 2 kids so the attendant pulled out the trundle that is underneath).

Third picture shows how they keep the sofa during the day.  You can still sit on it, but the backing isn't there.  We had no issues with this configuration (and it frees up space in the closet as that is where they store the bedding when you arrive).  But I'm sure if you really want the full sofa back, you can check with your attendant.

Edited by LuCruise