To HAL and back.

Shawnino

2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

I wonder if it it's because the loyal HAL cruisers know that the line is not what it once was and refuse to accept it?  

HAL  has been gradually changing the last 5 years or so since they opened the fist BB King Blue Club.  Last December we were on HAL in the Rolling Stone Rock Room listening to a live band play Hendrix and Bon Jovi etc...……..No HAL is not the same.

Yet, I have a feeling that we won’t be going mainstream again for quite a while.  I hope that feeling is correct!

We will continue to do both only because once in a while we are going to want a bigger ship type of cruise.  

2 hours ago, ricka47 said:

2 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

@ricka47- Don't worry about loyalty status on Oceania. From our experience, nobody cares. 

Most of the loyalty perks come in the form of things others wouldn't know about. OBC, free grats, included deviation, discounts, etc.  There are no lounges just for people at a certain level. There are some on the O ships that have access determined by room level. No special restaurant for any level. There is no special seating area by the pool, no special seating at the shows, all things the Mass lines tend to do. 

The repeaters party is open to anyone that has at least one cruise with Oceania. 

So what Rob says is spot on for Oceania. There is no preeminence among cruisers on Oceania. Except perhaps occasionally in the mind of a few. 

Edited by ORV

2 hours ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

@ricka47- Don't worry about loyalty status on Oceania. From our experience, nobody cares. 

While all the other lines have their " captains  friend's club and mystic knights of the sea status, A special feudal  class systems  with private dining rooms and   decks........its funny if it was not so sad to see people jockeying for position on these monster ships   

O has none of that  really.

No one cares if you in an inside or the owners suite.. or if this is your first or 100th cruise on O.

No one wears pins and doo-hickey's  flaunting their superiority..... its a low key well mannered, well traveled crowd who appreciates cuisine , conversation and the ambiance of the ship.........Sort of like how ocean travel was 80 years ago.... a romantic connection to the sea and travel.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

Sounds like you were on a really old ship if it had Lanai cabins.  Would be an interesting comparison on a new ship. 

The concept that larger is better  does not work... it just affords more opportunity for problems

More is not better... only more of the same  and with  more challenging human interactions possible.     

I was on a large HAL  ship once  Venice to Ft Lauderdale...   2300 folks,    The fun started when people had  their things by the pool stolen, The trivia game door prized were stolen during the  session,  The library was broken into and books stolen,   people tried to pry art and logos off the walls.......AND   they were even stealing the  day of the week mats from the elevators.! The captain had to close off sections of the ship to prevent vandalism.......     Too many rats in the box..... It was like the "inner city" goes  on vacation

34 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

While all the other lines have their " captains  friend's club and mystic knights of the sea status, A special feudal  class systems  with private dining rooms and   decks........its funny if it was not so sad to see people jockeying for position on these monster ships   

O has none of that  really.

No one cares if you in an inside or the owners suite.. or if this is your first or 100th cruise on O.

No one wears pins and doo-hickey's  flaunting their superiority..... its a low key well mannered, well traveled crowd who appreciates cuisine , conversation and the ambiance of the ship.........Sort of like how ocean travel was 80 years ago.... a romantic connection to the sea and travel.

You sure have a great sense of humor. The "pledge pin" is sort of neat but we were disappointed that there is no secret handshake. BTW - I've never seen anyone actually wear the pin.

Interesting comment that no one cares if you are in an inside cabin or owners suite. On our last 2-3 Celebrity cruises, we experienced a lot of "we're in a suite and you're not" snobbery. Our response, especially if the comment had been repeated, was "well bless your heart". :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Rob the Cruiser
typo

5 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

You sure have a great sense of humor. The "pledge pin" is sort of neat but we were disappointed that there is no secret handshake. BTW - I've never seen anyone actually wear the pin.

Interesting comment that no one cares if you are in an inside cabin or owners suite. On our last 2-3 Celebrity cruises, we experienced a lot of "we're in a suite and you're not" snobbery. Our response, especially if the comment had been repeated, was "well bless your heart". :classic_biggrin:

Celebrity and Cunard  both thrive on " the I am better than you" class system... selling faux esteem to needy people. for $$$$$$$$$$$

Wait till the mass market boys   discover the idea of secret hand shake.... and maybe monogram  slippers too... or a special ring      Hey,  Thats it.... a elite decoder ring that lets you  decode secret messages from the captain...

13 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Ever been around a Zenith? I'm sure there's some nice ones, I didn't meet them though. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

The concept that larger is better  does not work... it just affords more opportunity for problems

More is not better... only more of the same  and with  more challenging human interactions possible.     

I was on a large HAL  ship once  Venice to Ft Lauderdale...   2300 folks,    The fun started when people had  their things by the pool stolen, The trivia game door prized were stolen during the  session,  The library was broken into and books stolen,   people tried to pry art and logos off the walls.......AND   they were even stealing the  day of the week mats from the elevators.! The captain had to close off sections of the ship to prevent vandalism.......     Too many rats in the box..... It was like the "inner city" goes  on vacation

It's not a case of larger is better. It's a case of more dining options, more entertainment options, a real balcony vs. a lanai on a public deck.  I'm no HAL fan but I think it would have made an interesting comparison to one of the newer Koningsdam or NS rather than something that should probably be turned into a reef.

4 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

It's not a case of larger is better. It's a case of more dining options, more entertainment options, a real balcony vs. a lanai on a public deck.  I'm no HAL fan but I think it would have made an interesting comparison to one of the newer Koningsdam or NS rather than something that should probably be turned into a reef.

Here I disagree...  the only saving grace for HAL  is its small ships that still maintain an air of  classic ambiance. The Laini  cabin I think absurd in the first place.. just a cheap way of  making a balcony.   More restaurants  just means more  lousy choices  not better.   More lousy entertainment  and more chances of running into really objectionable people through sheer probability.     Its darwin at sea.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Here I disagree...  the only saving grace for HAL  is its small ships that still maintain an air of  classic ambiance. The Laini  cabin I think absurd in the first place.. just a cheap way of  making a balcony.   More restaurants  just means more  lousy choices  not better.   More lousy entertainment  and more chances of running into really objectionable people through sheer probability.     Its darwin at sea.

I'm pretty darn sure we have proof that you can run into objectionable people everywhere, even small ships.  As I said, I'm no HAL fan, but I have heard very good things about The dining and entertainment options on their newer ships.

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

I'm pretty darn sure we have proof that you can run into objectionable people everywhere, even small ships.  As I said, I'm no HAL fan, but I have heard very good things about The dining and entertainment options on their newer ships.

Define objectionable.

My SIL lives in Tampa but refuses to sail HAL's very convenient cruises from that Port because, and I kid you not, 

on her last HAL trip the crew were unable to prevent public urination (both sexes fwiw) in the cabin hallways.

No Virginia, this is not your father's Holland America

Edited by StanandJim
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

You have a point.... but I have to think a lot comes from HAL  brainwashing people as to what is  good... and have  a very different viewpoint.  Too the people HAL is seeking to attract are the younger  age groups  who want all these resort at sea things.  Naturally , they will rave about a product that fits them...   

Case in point, a Prinsendam HAL devotee  recently said the food on HAL and the service were far , far better on HAL  than Oceania Riviera and that O could learn a lot from HAL... 

I guess it is all a persons  perspective.     

My perspective is that a Mc Donalds  that has 3 floors and seats 1000  in Paris  Is still the same product you get in Omaha.  Its just larger.... and well serves wine... but it is still a Mc Donalds.

I will confess that I  loathe the cattle boat atmosphere of the monster ships.   To me I will not even consider anything over 1200 PAX  and thats pushing it  I prefer 600-700 as , to me, the lack of crowds and the low key ambiance are worth far more than  fancy shows, bands, and all the hype

But as I said  that works both ways for HAL and O passengers as well.

6 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Define objectionable.

My SIL lives in Tampa but refuses to sail HAL's very convenient cruises from that Port because, and I kid you not, 

on her last HAL trip the crew were unable to prevent public urination (both sexes fwiw) in the cabin hallways.

I think that  is what you get  when you have a huge ship with cabins for $45 a day to $250.    A huge cross section of multi level cultural, standards when you draw on such a wide and diverse sociological mix all in one place...       It is sad to see just how crude some people can be and feel no shame or remorse for acting in any way they please.

36 minutes ago, StanandJim said:

Define objectionable.

GROSS.  Ugh!

1 minute ago, nigelc said:

Been on HAL once - loved the Neptune suit, very large balcony, excellent for our Norway trip. However, the food, service and other passengers behaviour was truly awfully - never again. 

Is the suit  a perk on HAL ?😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

Define objectionable.

No Virginia, this is not your father's Holland America

Well, they are owned by Carnival after all.  But, I have never seen this on any cruise ship and hope that that was a very isolated case.

I don't hate HAL, mostly because I've never sailed on HAL.  (I do have friends who have and loved it, but again those cruises were some years ago.)

Speaking of the ages of passengers ... my sampling is as small as they come BUT when we were in Venice at the end of our cruise in May 2018 we were on the people mover returning to the port.  Several HAL passengers who were boarding were in the same car we were.  Mind you, I'm talking about 4-5 people.

Yes, they were MUCH younger than O passengers!  And as we were walking through the port to the ship (we were docked further down than the HAL vessel) we saw many other HAL passengers arriving.  All were much younger than we were.

And they seemed very excited to be taking the cruise.  I hope they enjoyed it.  And I don't doubt that they did.

I am not making any value judgments about passenger ages and backgrounds, however.  It was just something I noticed.

Mura