Another dress code question...

50 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

Not at all. I’m one of the “regular” passengers.  I see many things I would love to have but can’t afford so I buy what’s within my budget. 

If I’m out of place being myself then this will be not only our first, but also our last cruise with Celebrity. My husband and I don’t feel the need to try to impress others.  I was initially concerned about giving Celebrity a try after reading some of the comments from people on this board. However it was cheaper than other cruises we were looking at so we decided to go for it.  I was greatly relieved after chatting with people that will be on our cruise. It seems that vast majority are down to earth and friendly. Obviously all aren’t. If Celebrity doesn’t want people wearing ripped jeans on their ships, they can state that in their dress code. Or maybe they need to check with the snootiest of their passengers to get their approval first. 

I think you will be surprised to find that  people who are down to earth and friendly, do not necessarily embrace ripped  jeans,  and have booked on what is billed as a more elegant, upscale, cruise line as opposed to one that is more  okay with shorts for MDR dinner,  and  flip flop friendly. 

Many  of your posts and inquiries indicate that you have  doubts that  X will be a good fit for you , and are looking for some type of validation that it will be more like what you wish it to be.  Much depends on the ship, the season and the other guests.... some may dress in ripped jeans and cute tops  but most won't !

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, SheriffJoe said:

LOL good for you!  You will be just fine and you will also not find any of the elitist attitudes some people post here once onboard....its just so much easier for them to critique and criticize hiding behind their keyboards....frankly once onboard nobody notices much of anything other than if their drinks aren't poured correctly....

Being a teacher, I find those that criticize others are the ones that are most insecure. Somehow putting someone else down makes them feel better.  I guess some people never outgrow that.

29 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

Celebrity removed the 'no rips, holes or tears' from their dress code, so it's safe to assume that someone is aware of the current fashion.

That’s my take on it as well. My dad doesn’t find them appropriate anytime and always teases me and my dear sister-n-law for wearing them. I think some of it’s just a generational thing. 

29 minutes ago, Marelaine said:

My husband and I also dress for each other. He likes the way I look and that's all that matters to me. Bring your jeans. If you're like me, you'll have plenty of back up items if you don't feel comfortable. Enjoy your cruise and come back and tell us you had a great time.

Actually, my ripped jeans are my backup pants. I’m bringing 3 pairs of pants and a cocktail dress in addition to them. I’m sure I will wear my ripped capris around the ship from time to time and figured they would be a nice backup or if I just felt like being more casual after being in the heat of Bermuda all day. Also, they may get worn my last night because I’ll probably wear them on the plane the next day. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Dom G said:

We did our first cruise on Celebrity last month.  People onboard are WAY more easy going than people on the board who act like they own the ship.  

I figured that would be the case. 

25 minutes ago, Dom G said:

I wore pants to dinner every night and then changed into shorts for shows/bar afterwards. I also saw men wearing shorts in specialty dining, two teenagers wearing hats at specialty dining and a guy who wore shorts and a sleeveless t-shirt day and night (no idea where he ate).  What other people choose to wear had 0 impact on my enjoyment of the evening or the cruise. I choose to worry about myself. 

We like to change after dinner. My husband always changes into shorts. Sometimes I will wear jeans because my legs get cold easy. 

Like you, I could care less what others around me are wearing. They paid for their cruise just like I did and have every right to be comfortable as long as they aren’t breaking any rules. 

18 minutes ago, hcat said:

I think you will be surprised to find that  people who are down to earth and friendly, do not necessarily embrace ripped  jeans,  and have booked on what is billed as a more elegant, upscale, cruise line as opposed to one that is more  okay with shorts for MDR dinner,  and  flip flop friendly. 

I said nothing about shorts or flip flops, just a cute pair of denim capri’s with some bling. I don’t even remember wearing those in the dining room on Carnival. 

18 minutes ago, hcat said:

Many  of your posts and inquiries indicate that you have  doubts that  X will be a good fit for you , and are looking for some type of validation that it will be more like what you wish it to be.  Much depends on the ship, the season and the other guests.... some may dress in ripped jeans and cute tops  but most won't !

My doubts about this cruise being a good fit for me vanished once I started to get to know people on our roll call. I am very much looking forward to it!  

I realize Celebrity tends to have an older clientele, but they are trying to change that. I don’t care if I don’t dress like the older passengers, even if the are in the majority. I have a feeling I will see some ladies my age dressed in a similar fashion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

My doubts about this cruise being a good fit for me vanished once I started to get to know people on our roll call. I am very much looking forward to it!  

Tami:  We will gave a good time on this cruise no matter what we wear and how old we are.  Looking forward to meeting you and John and the others.  Carol & Roy

• Like 2

I wouldn’t go to the County Fair in ripped jeans, but then I am not seventeen.   Have not seen them worn in Luminae on our crossings but there must definitely be a different age group and different type of passenger on the other cruises.  Guess everything is about comfort and dressing a little for dinner is not comfortable for some passengers.

11 minutes ago, CarolRoy said:

Tami:  We will gave a good time on this cruise no matter what we wear and how old we are.  Looking forward to meeting you and John and the others.  Carol & Roy

Yes we will Carol!  You are one of those in our roll call that has seemed so kind and helpful!  😘

I find it really unsettling to read of folk who feel it “lowers the tone” when someone chooses to dress in what they find comfortable. Why does it matter what people wear to dinner? Does their attire really affect your enjoyment? 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

If I’m out of place being myself then this will be not only our first, but also our last cruise with Celebrity. 

When I went on my first Celebrity cruise I wasn't much older than you (well, your pic looks like you are younger than me 😉).  I'm sure you will be absolutely fine being yourself on Celebrity and I truly hope that you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise!!!  ☺️

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Reel Love said:

When I went on my first Celebrity cruise I wasn't much older than you (well, your pic looks like you are younger than me 😉).  I'm sure you will be absolutely fine being yourself on Celebrity and I truly hope that you enjoy your first Celebrity cruise!!!  ☺️

My picture is 4 years old. It was from our favorite cruise to date which was on the Oasis of the Seas. I have gained a few lbs since then so I’m a bit camera shy now. 😔  

7 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

My picture is 4 years old. It was from our favorite cruise to date which was on the Oasis of the Seas. I have gained a few lbs since then so I’m a bit camera shy now. 😔  

You look wonderful, are still younger than me, and my original comment still stands......I truly hope that you enjoy your X cruise! ☺️  Have a wonderful time!!!! 

You asked the question "will I be out of place wearing them?" Everyone was polite in giving their opinion and all was well as long as they didn't say you could "possibly" feel out of place.  The horror...someone dared to give you an honest opinion. Likely everything will be just fine but since you seem to be very sensitive the possibility exists that you could possibly feel that way.

If you want to "be yourself" why bother to ask the question? Just do as you please and I'm sure you won't have to worry about the old elitists criticizing you because of their insecurities. I'm sure no one will be one bit worried about what you are doing. Most people will be busy enjoying themselves and won't be watching you.

Believe it or not all those old customers that you believe Celebrity doesn't want any more keep them in business. They're the ones with the time and the money to cruise frequently and if you are fortunate you may be one of them some day. You might even meet a few that you enjoy. Most of them started out just like you.

Edited by Ma Bell
  • Like 3

I'm wearing my Tux every night on my next cruise!

My tailor is cutting some designer holes down the outside of each pant leg. 

Hey, I've got great legs too.

They may be a bit furry but Mrs Dawg likes them!😁

Edited by DirtyDawg
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, hcat said:

X  will.no doubt allow  casual cruisers  to push the  envelope and they will eventually win out.   Nice to shake the Captain's hand looking like a trip to the mall!

You always seemed like one of the good guys on here. I’m a bit disappointed to read you opinion on this subject. 

5 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

You always seemed like one of the good guys on here. I’m a bit disappointed to read you opinion on this subject. 

Nothing stirs the pot on this board nearly as much as the dress code threads. 

4 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I wouldn’t go to the County Fair in ripped jeans, but then I am not seventeen.   Have not seen them worn in Luminae on our crossings but there must definitely be a different age group and different type of passenger on the other cruises.  Guess everything is about comfort and dressing a little for dinner is not comfortable for some passengers.

This is coming from someone that travels on Cunard and in suites, just proving my point. I’m just a teacher. We aren’t in the same class, which Celebrity likes to distinguish. You wouldn’t be in our lowly dining room so you wouldn’t have to worry about it.  Yes, I’m a “different type of passenger”. I could care less about dressing up every night and putting on airs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

. I could care less about dressing up every night and putting on airs. 

You really equate dressing nicely to dine in an elegant restaurant "putting on airs"? The MDR isn't your local Hooters or neighborhood hangout. You will likely be changing for dinner every night anyway. Why not just reserve your ripped and torn denims for day wear?

10 minutes ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

This is coming from someone that travels on Cunard and in suites, just proving my point. I’m just a teacher. We aren’t in the same class, which Celebrity likes to distinguish. You wouldn’t be in our lowly dining room so you wouldn’t have to worry about it.  Yes, I’m a “different type of passenger”. I could care less about dressing up every night and putting on airs. 

I love your vibe and spirit on here, and I hope you are a "Celebrity" kind of passenger.  Unbelievable the number of catty comments you got in response, while someone simultaneously alleges that people were being "polite."  It's amazing to me that those who are concerned about "standards" are also the first to be so impolite; seems their alleged civility only extends as far as their fingers on the keyboard.

Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ma Bell said:

You asked the question "will I be out of place wearing them?" Everyone was polite in giving their opinion and all was well as long as they didn't say you could "possibly" feel out of place.  The horror...someone dared to give you an honest opinion. Likely everything will be just fine but since you seem to be very sensitive the possibility exists that you could possibly feel that way.

If you feel it’s polite to imply that normal people that don’t want to dress up on Celebrity are somehow lowering the standards...  If you feel so strongly about this, travel in a suite and you won’t be bothered by the working class that have to dine in the MDR.  I’m not sensitive to the fact that not everyone would wear them. I would be shocked if my mom did, although I might give her a high five!  

If you want to "be yourself" why bother to ask the question?

I just wouldn't want want to be sent back to my room to change or to the back of the dining room instead of my assigned table. 

Just do as you please and I'm sure you won't have to worry about the old elitists criticizing you because of their insecurities. I'm sure no one will be one bit worried about what you are doing. Most people will be busy enjoying themselves and won't be watching you.

Trust me, I won’t be worrying about what others are doing or wearing. The elitists seem to do enough of that for everyone. 

Believe it or not all those old customers that you believe Celebrity doesn't want any more keep them in business. They're the ones with the time and the money to cruise frequently and if you are fortunate you may be one of them some day. You might even meet a few that you enjoy. Most of them started out just like you.

Celebrity is trying to appeal to Millennials. I’m not saying they should give up on their money train, it’s just a fact.  I do hope to be able to retire and travel more at some point, but I am a long way from that now.

Believe it or not, some of my best friends are in their 60’s and 70’s. They just aren’t stuffy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, mom says said:

You really equate dressing nicely to dine in an elegant restaurant "putting on airs"? The MDR isn't your local Hooters or neighborhood hangout. You will likely be changing for dinner every night anyway. Why not just reserve your ripped and torn denims for day wear?

We don’t eat at Hooters.  I wouldn’t call the MDR an elegant restaurant. Their food is not that caliber. If we were to dine in a fine restaurant in Charlotte, we would dress for the occasion. This is more like buffet food. 

If you read all my replies, my lowly ripped jeans are a backup plan just in case I get my other pants dirty or something and I will be wearing them mostly during the day. However, I may wear them them on the last night because I will most likely wear them on the plane home. 

Edited by NCteacherlovescruising

We have sailed with Celebrity for over 10 years (only suites or aqua).  Retired teacher to teacher:  Your designer jeans will look great, rips and holes or no rips and holes.  Be happy and kind, smile and enjoy yourself.  Likelihood is you will get in to a restaurant if your appearance is neat and clean.  Things have change over the years, but each person is going to wear clothing that makes them feel happy while enjoying their vacation time.  Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff.  Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by CharlieCharlieCharlie
add a sentence to clarify
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

You picked a  cruise line where most,  but not all,  do dress quite nicely at night and at special daytime events based on their own sense of style  (mainstream nice clothes not couture) ; unless going to the buffet for dinner.  You have posed inquiries about fitting in with the mainstream on board,  shoe styles and ripped jeans and a cute top....That would be okay for daytime although we usually do shorts, tops or swim suits with cover ups in the Carib...

Sorry you are disappointed in honest answers from experienced X cruisers based on recent observations but it is what it is.   .Lately, things are young, fresh and trendy but not  boho sloppy looking. Why not pack a few nice sun dresses, sweaters, capris and one special outfit like  a LBD, with  blingy sandals for the first chic night. Your husb can do dark dockers and a nice collared shirt.  ( jacket not required)...Enjoy a special evening, toast yourselves, get great photos...you may surprise yourself !

BtW,  vis a vis your recent post, where we live, teachers are highly respected  well paid professionals,  and even folks who work in trades like to dress up when of duty...Maybe a  cultural difference?

Edited by hcat