Into Hong Kong Dec 7th

Diego Da Monkey

Any word from Celebrity if the Millennium will still be finishing up in Hong Kong Dec. 7th?....it Departs from a Tokyo on Nov 23rd. Very concerned if disembarkation will still be there due to the protests in that country and also because it overnights there prior to disembarkation ...Airfare home and hotels in HK already booked and paid for!

I’ve seen nothing on their website even saying they are monitoring the situation .....

Edited by Diego Da Monkey
Grammar

They are likely looking at it but not going to tell you.

There are still cabins for sale.

Although the protests started in March, they did not really escalate until the beginning of July, barely a month ago and really get ugly a week ago.  In 4 months a lot can happen.  You really only have 2 choices:  Ignore it and prepare for your holiday or cancel and bite the bullet. 

I would be confident that Celebrity will make any adjustments needed, but that will be quite a while in the future.

We have exactly the same situation with a 26 day Azamara cruise that disembarks in Dubai after transiting the Hormuz Strait.  Nothing we can do about the tensions there so just ignoring it.

Anything is possible four months from now.  You can be sure that Celebrity is keeping an eye on the situation, looking for alternatives but I wouldn’t look for any kind of announcement this far in advance.  Did you book your air through Celebrity?  Have you prepaid your hotels!

I highly doubt China would allow this HK unrest to continue into December. October 1st is China's 70th anniversary of its National Day and a very big deal. This HK unrest will be a huge embarrassment and loss of face to the Chicom regime if it is allowed to go on unchecked on a historical important day such as this.

I think it is to early to know what the HK airport will be like in Dec. I would look into options. I like options 2 or 4.

1. What is your airline doing now for its passengers flying out of HK?

2. Turn your cruise into a b2b and fly home out of Singapore.

3. Travel by boat or bus to Macau and fly to Shanghai.

4. Bullet train from HK to Shanghai. Business Class around $500 pp.

5. Get yourself to Guangzhou and fly out of their. I did this but in reverse. We did a taxi from Guangzhou to the HK border. Our options at the time were a taxi or over night boat in a room that slept 40 people.

Shanghai – Hong Kong High-Speed Trains

I think it is too early to know what the HK airport will be like in Dec. I would look into options. I like options 2 or 4.

1. What is your airline doing now for its passengers flying out of HK?

2. Turn your cruise into a b2b and fly home out of Singapore.

3. Travel by boat or bus to Macau and fly to Shanghai.

4. Bullet train from HK to Shanghai. Business Class around $500 pp.

5. Get yourself to Guangzhou and fly out of their. I did this but in reverse. We did a taxi from Guangzhou to the HK border. Our options at the time were a taxi or over night boat in a room that slept 40 people.

Shanghai – Hong Kong High-Speed Trains

Distance: 1,991 kilometers (1,237 miles)

Train number: G99/G100

Duration: around 8 hours

Terminals: Shanghai Hongqiao Railway Station, Hong Kong West Kowloon Railway Station

Main stops: Shanghai, Hangzhou, Nanchang, Changsha, Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Hong Kong

5 minutes ago, Diego Da Monkey said:

Wow!....thanks for this extensive reply. As you stated, it’s early yet and plenty of time for any changes...god or bad. Think we’ll wait and see.

At this point wait and see is the best option.  A lot can and will happen in 4 months.  Best of luck and prayers for Hong Kong.  I hope this all ends peacefully

I, too, am watching this closely as we are on the holiday cruise this December that ends in HK.   (SF - are you on our sailing?)

From my point of view, there are TWO completely different issues.

First, is the issue of people worrying about safety in HK - which  is not my concern right now  at all.   I am not even slightly worried about that.  Frankly, the Chinese are too totalitarian to tolerate letting dissent affect tourism. 

But I I do think it’s legit to worry about Celebrity or airlines rerouting us.   It will be interesting to see if they change the final port.... Macao?  Stay in Vietnam?  I dunno. 

I retired  five years ago from the State Department’s Foreign Service after 25 years.   I had two assignments in crisis management and several overseas jobs in which I was the person at the Embassy that helped US citizens in difficulties.  I also did two tours in the office that issues travel warnings - and, yes - I was indeed working in that job on 9/11.  And, yes - Americans were stuck all over the world.  They were safe, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t a huge logistical mess. 

So, I thought I should say that in my mind, it’s worth separating the issues of personal safety and travel hassle.   Like I said, I am not worried about the former, but I can tell you that if there is a chance that Celebrity’s insurers tell them they cannot dock or if airlines like Cathay Pacific continue to have cancellations, we may have real difficulties.  

NB:  I am retired, so that’s not the official word.  Please, please, please consult your own foreign offices or the US State Department directly.  I will tell you that State doesn’t put out travel warnings lightly - a ton of work and clearances go into them so I would heed them. 

BTW, I am headed to Beijing from HK on United FF miles afterward and then doing a big solo trip til January 21, when I am supposed to fly from HK using BA frequent flier miles on Cathay Pacific.  My husband still works and has to get home too soon.   He is leaving from HK at the end of the cruise on a revenue ticket for Singapore on SingaporeAir.  Of course, we will continue to watch all these moving parts carefully and I will post more if I hear anything from Celebrity or any of the various airlines.