PACKING LIST - GENERIC FOR MAN; 7 DAY CRUISE

redwings1958

Now that we have finalized our Winter 2019 cruise, I realized that some newbies(or experienced) might be clueless on what to /not to pack.

As a veteran of 15 cruises, I have compiled this spreadsheet as a typical list of what I WOULD PACK.  There are some extra things included that you might not have thought of and I would be more than happy to explain why [like return address labels]

cruise_packing_generic.xlsx

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jelayne said:

DH always brings a small flashlight.  Fortunately we have free wash & fold laundry be cause if DH brought this many clothes there wouldn’t be room for mine😉

Since most of the phones now come with a flashlight, I took that off the list

20 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Great list. Will modify for personal use such as adding travel shirts/lowering Polos and adding pj’s. And a few electronics. 

Thanks!

Den

Yeah I forgot to mention, that when traveling in December, from a cold weather to warm weather site, wear shorts under sweatpants/sweatshirt and just change in the plane or airport restroom

29 minutes ago, barbette165 said:

Is there a handy tip / alternate use for Fabric Softener Sheets? Or are they only for a cruise line that provides a self-service laundry?

I use fabric softener sheets inside my suitcases to provide a nice fresh fragrance on my gear. Don’t know if there’s another use for them.

• Like 2

Can't open that link without installing a program so didn't read it. But the interwebs are rife with packing lists for most situations. Find one you like that more or less fits your packing philosophy, modify it to suit the occasion, and go with it. We have a couple of lists- one for cruises, one for land vacations, that we've had for years.

Re fabric softener sheets: if you don't want to bring Downy Wrinkle Release with you (carry on only?),  bring an empty spray bottle. Once aboard, stuff a sheet in it, fill it with warm water, shake it up and let it sit for a while. Presto- your homemade Wrinkle release spray.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, lovecruzin said:

Nice list. I’ll have to show it to DH for upcoming cruises. I/he would eliminate suit and/or tux for X cruises and replace with a couple of nice button down shirts!

Also wonder about alternate use for fabric softner sheets?

m - Thank you for a most wonderful idea, I think I shall consider wearing my Tux on the flight down and back so it will not need to be packed!

I Am sure to have quite a few questions and even possibly a cabin up-grade! LOL

Thank you again... bon voyage

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, redwings1958 said:

Now that we have finalized our Winter 2019 cruise, I realized that some newbies(or experienced) might be clueless on what to /not to pack.

As a veteran of 15 cruises, I have compiled this spreadsheet as a typical list of what I WOULD PACK.  There are some extra things included that you might not have thought of and I would be more than happy to explain why [like return address labels]

cruise_packing_generic.xlsx 12.94 kB · 117 downloads

Wow,  you take a lot of stuff.

fabric softener sheets and shower curtain liner for a guy???? Really?

I've kind of gone minimalist.  For a 7 night cruise...

I usually take take two or three pairs of shoes. One pair of gym shoes to wear on the plane and/or travel with. One pair of dress shoes for formal nights (if we choose to dress up, sometimes we don't so I don't take them) On pair of Keen closed toe sandals for everyday/everything else. Wearing the Keens reduces the amount of socks you have to take as I can wear them to work out/walk in, or on excursions in and out of the water. In the winter I'll wear the gym shoes on the plane otherwise I will leave them home and just wear the Keens.

Two pairs of socks-one dark, on pair of athletic socks (which I rarely wear due to the Keens)

Two pairs of shorts, one being rather nice, the other being "river shorts" quick drying nylon that doubles as a swim suit,  work out or excursions. Easy to wash out and dry overnight.

One bathing suit

Two pair of long pants, one pair of Dockers/khakis for evening wear (not formal nights) one pair of dress pants for formal nights (if we decide to dress up and worn at dinner only).

5 short sleeve shirts-one quick drying t-shirt* for working out and the others a combination of button down casual or polo shirts.

* I've found that rash covers (quick drying shirts used for swimming/snorkeling) work well as t-shirts for working out, snorkeling or other excursions. You can buy them in long or short sleeves depending on how much sun cover your need.

1-long sleeve dress shirt for formal nights, left home if we don't do formal nights on a particular cruise. Worn at dinner only and then changed out of.

Sport coat and tie-for formal nights or left home.

Three pairs of underwear-I have some quick drying travel briefs that wash out in the sink and dry in a couple hours.

Light weight rain jacket

Light weight fleece

That's pretty much it for clothes. Of course I take my phone and a 7" tablet computer with books loaded on it to read plus chargers.

I also take my toiletries, a small first aid kit and meds.

I do take a baseball hat and a lightweight safari type hat, sunglasses, reading glasses etc, etc.

That basically my cruise bag if we fly. We tend not to dress up for formal nights if we fly so all of it will go into a carry on.  If we happen to drive to Florida for a cruise I'll take the sport coat, tie and mask, snorkel, fins etc, etc.

Edited by mac66

Of course, I've got my own "generic packing list" for a seven night cruise.  I wrote this many years ago and posted it on Cruise Critic at that time...Over the years, some things have changed (ie--end of "formal nights", greater luggage restrictions on airlines, etc.), but the concept is still the same...and, yes, nowadays, everyone has to add "chargers", "adapters", "devices", etc.

standard packing list

For a seven night cruise:

Men: One small carry-on size rolling bag.
7 pairs undershorts
5 pairs socks (Don't need them for at-sea days)
4 T-Shirts (we'll pick up a few more as souvenirs along the way)
1 pair shorts (They're good for at least a week)...
1 pair long pants (only because they make you wear them in the dining room)
1 pair shoes
1 Swim suit
NO Suit or Tuxedo (Rent it on the ship so you don't have to schlep it all the way there and back)
Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Razor
Camera

Women: One large suitcase for Casual clothes
One Large Suitcase for Formal clothes
One large duffel bag for shoes
One suitcase for toiletries, cosmetics, creams, shampoo/conditioners, lotions, etc.
One suitcase for purses, accessories, grooming equipment, travel irons, steamers, etc.
One carry-on with hairbrushes, vitamins, pain relievers and other prescriptions, cosmetics that they forgot to put in the suitcase, last minute items needed past packing of other suitcases.
One purse the size of a suitcase filled with all the usual junk: lipstick, chewing gum, mints, keys that she can't even remember what they go to and don't need on the cruise anyway, photos of the kids, credit cards for every department store and shop known to man, even ones no longer in business, gym membership card she never uses, hair pins, loose change, old candy wrappers, mints from the restaurant she ate at a month and a half ago, that bag of peanuts from the flight in on Southwest...and so on ad infinitum...
Specifics:
14 panties (one pair each day plus one for evening)
20 hose or pantyhose (accounts for 7 evenings as at least half or more will run while putting them on)
7 casual skirts and/or Bermuda shorts (something that covers the knees and most of the imagined cellulite)
7 casual blouses or tops...actually, make that 14 as most "outfits" require a top covered by a blouse hanging over it)
[NOTE: One can never be seen wearing the SAME outfit TWICE!!]
7 pairs of "casual" shoes...as each "outfit" must be particularly coordinated with the precisely perfect pair of shoes
5 dressier skirts and/or pairs of slightly dressy slacks for casual evenings
4 formal gowns (Yes, I know that there are only two formal nights, but one won't look exactly right and she'll need to put it back and wear something else...and a second won't fit right anymore by the end of the cruise)
5 more pair of slightly dressy shoes...and...
4 pairs of "formal" shoes (again, each "outfit" must be coordinated with the proper shoes)
[NOTE: All formal gowns and formal shoes MUST be purchased special for the cruise. God forbid someone on the cruise MAY have been at your niece Jessica's wedding in June and has already seen you in that gown!!]
Assorted (meaning at least 10 of each) belts, scarves, etc. A woman needs to "accessorize"...
14 purses (again, must match the "outfit")
At least 70 assorted pieces of Jewelry (necklaces, bracelets, earrings, pins, rings) of various types from diamonds down to cheap costume jewelry (again, the accessories must complement the particular outfit being worn)
6 swimsuits, though she'll never actually make it up to the pool deck...besides, "I can't be seen in public in a swimsuit"
6 "cover-ups"...just in case she braves wearing a swimsuit...
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
Deodorant
Eye Shadow
Eyeliner
Blush
Foundation
Lipstick
Lip Gloss
Eyebrow pencil
Nail polish
(At least 4 or 5 shades of each variety of make-up)
Make-up remover
Moisturizer
Face cream
Cold Cream
Anti-wrinkle cream
Body lotion
Cotton Balls
Q-Tips
Razor
Shaving Cream
Tweezers
Hairbrush (at least three varieties)
Suntan lotion
Sunscreen
"Feminine Products" (though most often the item forgotten or not packed enough...just so YOU will have to go running around the streets of Puerto Vallarta or Cabo San Lucas looking for drug stores and trying to explain this to a clerk who only speaks Spanish)
Hairdryer (even though they supply them on the ship--it's a reflex motion...but the excuse is "I don't like theirs")
Curling iron
Iron (even though the ship says they're forbidden..."I NEED it")
Steamer
Sewing Kit (like she's going to actually sew)
Eyeglasses
Sunglasses
Contact Lenses
Contact Lens solution
Advil
Midol
Dramamine
Pepto Bismol
Tums
Rolaids
Campo-Phenique
Pepcid
Metamucil
Any other possible medication for any other real or imagined malady which MAY arise during the course of the cruise--which they obviously don't sell anywhere but here at home...
Hair dye (just in case the roots start showing during the cruise)

And, this is just off the top of my head...I KNOW I'm leaving off lots of stuff...

It's a good thing airlines allow you two fifty pound each pieces of luggage plus a carry on each...
REVISED NOTE:...(Or they used to...maybe now with a small fee!)

All of YOUR stuff can go in your carry-on, while hers MAY neatly fit into the four allowed pieces of luggage plus her carry-on...

Even with the extensive packing, know that there are simply things not accounted for which now MUST be acquired in port...Besides, some of these ports are just great "shopping towns" ...After all, how important are a bunch of old churches and museums when each port has so many nice stores?

Edited by Bruin Steve
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Bruin Steve said:

Of course, I've got my own "generic packing list" for a seven night cruise.  I wrote this many years ago and posted it on Cruise Critic at that time...Over the years, some things have changed (ie--end of "formal nights", greater luggage restrictions on airlines, etc.), but the concept is still the same...and, yes, nowadays, everyone has to add "chargers", "adapters", "devices", etc........................

Steve, thank you for re-posting that packing list.

It is a classic - the very best packing list ever.

But it needs a corollary, the unpacking list detailing what goes where, explaining the correct way to divide up the limited available storage space in the stateroom and bathroom when unpacking all that stuff  (for those of us who do not book penthouse suites). 😁

Upon further thought though, there is probably no need for the unpacking list as most of us already know how that very limited, closet, shelf and drawer space will be allocated. 😉

Edited by varoo
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, mac66 said:

Wow,  you take a lot of stuff.

fabric softener sheets and shower curtain liner for a guy???? Really?

I've kind of gone minimalist.  For a 7 night cruise...

I usually take take two or three pairs of shoes. One pair of gym shoes to wear on the plane and/or travel with. One pair of dress shoes for formal nights (if we choose to dress up, sometimes we don't so I don't take them) On pair of Keen closed toe sandals for everyday/everything else. Wearing the Keens reduces the amount of socks you have to take as I can wear them to work out/walk in, or on excursions in and out of the water. In the winter I'll wear the gym shoes on the plane otherwise I will leave them home and just wear the Keens.

Two pairs of socks-one dark, on pair of athletic socks (which I rarely wear due to the Keens)

Two pairs of shorts, one being rather nice, the other being "river shorts" quick drying nylon that doubles as a swim suit,  work out or excursions. Easy to wash out and dry overnight.

One bathing suit

Two pair of long pants, one pair of Dockers/khakis for evening wear (not formal nights) one pair of dress pants for formal nights (if we decide to dress up and worn at dinner only).

5 short sleeve shirts-one quick drying t-shirt* for working out and the others a combination of button down casual or polo shirts.

* I've found that rash covers (quick drying shirts used for swimming/snorkeling) work well as t-shirts for working out, snorkeling or other excursions. You can buy them in long or short sleeves depending on how much sun cover your need.

1-long sleeve dress shirt for formal nights, left home if we don't do formal nights on a particular cruise. Worn at dinner only and then changed out of.

Sport coat and tie-for formal nights or left home.

Three pairs of underwear-I have some quick drying travel briefs that wash out in the sink and dry in a couple hours.

Light weight rain jacket

Light weight fleece

That's pretty much it for clothes. Of course I take my phone and a 7" tablet computer with books loaded on it to read plus chargers.

I also take my toiletries, a small first aid kit and meds.

I do take a baseball hat and a lightweight safari type hat, sunglasses, reading glasses etc, etc.

That basically my cruise bag if we fly. We tend not to dress up for formal nights if we fly so all of it will go into a carry on.  If we happen to drive to Florida for a cruise I'll take the sport coat, tie and mask, snorkel, fins etc, etc.

1. The fabric softener sheets are to keep the stench of dirty laundry out of the suitcases

2.  The shower curtain liner is for the beach to put on the sand before putting down the towels[ keeps sand off]

3.  extra swimsuit to wear while the other one is drying

4.  I would rather pack 2 loosely packed suitcases rather than 1 overstuffed one; [swair allows 2 free bags]

5.  We enjoy dressing up for CHIC / FORMAL nights - we bought a garment bag just for this purpose - so there!

6 . Can never have enough socks or t-shirts; would never reuse worn items

• Thanks 1

Here's my "cheat sheet" 

status

use it every year! status   status  
  elec shave,charger, pre-shave & brush   Deck Layouts?   Short-Sleeve dress shirts w/ two
  toothbrush & toothpaste & floss    Scented Fresheners           dress pants - belts & colored socks
  mouthwash X Masking Tape   Tees, baseball caps, casu shorts, belts, white sock
  small colognes / deodorant   Sticky Notes   PJ Bottoms 
  Moisturizer(s) face and hand   Thank You Cards   Exercise shorts and Tees 
  comb, brush, hair tonic, hair spray   Magnets   underwear- (pants/pads) 
      Cheat Sheets   hankies and watches w/bubble wrap 
  band-aids (small medical kit)  replenish        
     foot powder & lotion (O'Keefe)   3/17/2019 X Shoes: new moccasins
  shampoo and conditioner       boat shoes, sneakers,  crocks
  2 soap bars       bathing suits, beach cover shirts
      X - Not Needed   swim goggles /  / "swim" trunks
          sun hats,  small eye shades
          SunBlocks - Chapsticks
  Diovan / Veralan PM  / FlowMax   Item Status:    
  One-A-Days   H - Have it    ósmall Lysols / Hand sanitizer/wipes/soft soapó
  M&Ms /  RelPax / Excedrin Migraine/  Advil  /Advil PM  / Tylenol   It's Packed   Tea Lights
  Alopurinal / Pain med (green pills)     X Sleep eye mask
  Cortison 10       Hair Dryer
  ó Imodium - Pepcid - Pepto Bismal - face masks? - latex gloves?ó       night light / flashlight / motion sensor LED lights (repl battries) small alarm clock (rep battery)
  Change - "Fives" - "Tens"       zip lock bags & plastic bag for laundry
          Static Guard / AAA, AA batteries ??
  2 suitcases    "travel" bebop hat   digital camera, case, charger and disks
  2 garment bags    "travel" jeans & top   lens cleaner & cloth
  2 (non-wheeled) carry-on Totes   "travel" shorts & top    
  luggage tags/luggage locks      X pedometer?
  colorful ribbons or socks  for luggage     X GPS  ??
  cruise papers, IDs, passports, boarding passes, trip ins papers MEDALLIONS       sunglasses w/Koozies, sunglasses clipons  
  books, magazines, Kindel       reading and distance glasses
X small wash cloth       eyeglass cleaning spray & tissues
  bungee cords, clips & chaise covers       2 coffee travel mugs
  back packs / KYSS Beach Bag       I-Phones & chargers / charge cards & small wallet
  fanny packs --- leather & waterproof       I-Pod charger, small compass

On 8/22/2019 at 8:23 AM, redwings1958 said:

1. The fabric softener sheets are to keep the stench of dirty laundry out of the suitcases

2.  The shower curtain liner is for the beach to put on the sand before putting down the towels[ keeps sand off]

3.  extra swimsuit to wear while the other one is drying

4.  I would rather pack 2 loosely packed suitcases rather than 1 overstuffed one; [swair allows 2 free bags]

5.  We enjoy dressing up for CHIC / FORMAL nights - we bought a garment bag just for this purpose - so there!

6 . Can never have enough socks or t-shirts; would never reuse worn items

Interesting. I was wondering what the dryer sheets and shower curtain were for. You still take a lot of stuff 😁 but to each his own. I meant no offense.  

As I said after many years of traveling I've whittled my stuff down to minimalist proportions. That can be good or bad depending on the circumstances.

Edited by mac66

My wife and I usually take one suitcase and a small carry on.  My packing list is quite simple...pack whatever I can fit in after my wife has completely filled both cases with her stuff....lol

on a serious note, having access to the Elite laundry bag has certainly made traveling light much easier.