CNN story about NCL passengers kept in fenced area with no water!

PortFees45

27 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

Did the Haven pax at least have a separate tent within the cage with AC and canapés?

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2019/09/04/stranded-passengers-norwegian-cruise-line-mxp-vpx.hln

So, this was not the at the port or the ship. These were people who asked for the free charter transportation back to Miami (vs. making their own way home via a commercial flight). Looking at the video, it looks more like TSA didn't want uncleared people wandering around the MSY tarmac. And that the charter company was not prepared for delays in getting aircraft to MSY to take these folks on to Miami.  wrt medicines, we always have our daily meds with us (not packed in a suitcase which we may see in several hours. 

• Like 2

RCC extended cruises to return when the ports opened, which they did. They are visible on port cams for Port Everglades. Miami had many ships docked at that port today, but no NCL. Port Canaveral is now open.

I do not understand why NCL would decide to dock in New Orleans and leave pax in the terminal with no transportation, food or medicine.

I have sailed many times with NCL, but if this is what they do with pax in an emergency, maybe I need to not sail NCL. Cruising in hurricane season is a risk, but they should have made a better decision during Dorian.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

So, this was not the at the port or the ship. These were people who asked for the free charter transportation back to Miami (vs. making their own way home via a commercial flight). Looking at the video, it looks more like TSA didn't want uncleared people wandering around the MSY tarmac. And that the charter company was not prepared for delays in getting aircraft to MSY to take these folks on to Miami.  wrt medicines, we always have our daily meds with us (not packed in a suitcase which we may see in several hours. 

Thank you for breaking this down for the complainers!  Looks like nothing will ever stop them from complaining and blaming NCL!   NCL has nothing to do with TSA & airport security!!  

Edited by Mom2kmo
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Loucat said:

RCC extended cruises to return when the ports opened, which they did. They are visible on port cams for Port Everglades. Miami had many ships docked at that port today, but no NCL. Port Canaveral is now open.

I do not understand why NCL would decide to dock in New Orleans and leave pax in the terminal with no transportation, food or medicine.

I have sailed many times with NCL, but if this is what they do with pax in an emergency, maybe I need to not sail NCL. Cruising in hurricane season is a risk, but they should have made a better decision during Dorian.

So you are positive there is room for an "away" class ship....?  Folks would have complained either way, either get off in NOLA, or have more days at sea and get off "maybe" at MIA....without having all the facts, hard to throw stones, IMHO..then throw in the food situation....

I saw this on CNN also, poor deal for all involved. My daughter was on the Sept 1 trip and because NCL waited till the last minute to make a decision it was impossible to plan our end. Another problem is the size of the ship. It's impossible to help 4500 on board people and 4500 coming and not overlook some. As far as it being so risky to sail during June to October only fools go, why do the cruise lines have these trips in the first place putting everyone in danger? 

• Like 2

PTC Dawg- My post is based on the reports from pax at the terminal. They are the "facts" you refer to. I along with everyone on CC has a right to an opinion. We may differ but I would not accuse a poster of throwing stones "without the facts". End of my posts on this thread!

56 minutes ago, hypercafe said:

As far as it being so risky to sail during June to October only fools go, why do the cruise lines have these trips in the first place putting everyone in danger? 

I was following your point until this part...sorry, but that's just silly.  Only fools go?  Really?  There is a certain degree of risk, of course but if it were not profitable for the cruise lines to sail in the Caribbean during this time period, rest assured, they would not.  Furthermore, even with the risks, if NCL or any cruise line deem it appropriate to set sail during this time period, then it is incumbent upon them to ensure that they chart a course and make a plan that will reasonably result in an end product that suits everyone.  Does the cruise industry have no culpability here?  Please.  For years, I could only cruise during the summer months due to work....never had a problem in June, July, or November.  Perhaps I have misunderstood your point.

9 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

I was following your point until this part...sorry, but that's just silly.  Only fools go?  Really?  There is a certain degree of risk, of course but if it were not profitable for the cruise lines to sail in the Caribbean during this time period, rest assured, they would not.  Furthermore, even with the risks, if NCL or any cruise line deem it appropriate to set sail during this time period, then it is incumbent upon them to ensure that they chart a course and make a plan that will reasonably result in an end product that suits everyone.  Does the cruise industry have no culpability here?  Please.  For years, I could only cruise during the summer months due to work....never had a problem in June, July, or November.  Perhaps I have misunderstood your point.

I believe you misunderstood me or I wasn't clear. I was trying to make a point it's wrong to put people down as some have for sailing during hurricane season. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypercafe said:

I believe you misunderstood me or I wasn't clear. I was trying to make a point it's wrong to put people down as some have for sailing during hurricane season. 

Got it.  Sorry I missed it.  Must have been that thick New York accent 😎.  Just kidding.  Thanks for clarifying.

4 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

They did not ask.  The ship set it up for them.  I was issued tickets even though I didn’t need them.

• Thanks 1

I was on this sailing and I had friends who needed to get back to Miami to get their vehicles that were on one of the charter flights.

what I’ve been told:

1. They were kept on the bus for two hours- no food or beverage 

2. After begging, they were allowed out of the bus

3. They were not in the terminal but in an out building- still no access to food or drink

4.  One of them called the local news.

5. Magically food and beverage appeared

6. Anyone who said the ship ran out of food is lying.  They ran out of rye bread, chocolate covered strawberries and romaine lettuce

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Shoppie124 said:

3. They were not in the terminal but in an out building- still no access to food or drink

Can you add any clarification to "terminal"? Were they at some airport outbuilding or were they at some port terminal outbuilding?

3 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Can you add any clarification to "terminal"? Were they at some airport outbuilding or were they at some port terminal outbuilding?

An out building on airport property.  They were not at terminal A B or C.  Think similar to a hanger area

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shoppie124 said:

An out building on airport property.  They were not at terminal A B or C.  Think similar to a hanger area

Thank you for the clarification. This story hit the local news here in the Bay Area. The footage made it look to show them at some terminal building and parking lot right near the ship. I'm sure that was unintentional on their part...

8 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

Thank you for the clarification. This story hit the local news here in the Bay Area. The footage made it look to show them at some terminal building and parking lot right near the ship. I'm sure that was unintentional on their part...

The new also reported we were almost out of food too.  If you call no rye bread, chocolate covered strawberries and romaine running out of food.  It’s called creating interest based on twisting the truth

3 minutes ago, Shoppie124 said:

The new also reported we were almost out of food too.  If you call no rye bread, chocolate covered strawberries and romaine running out of food.  It’s called creating interest based on twisting the truth

The part I heard stated they were trapped on the busses for 2 hours and then in the outbuilding thing without food and water.

I didn't hear anything indicating the ship rolled on up to MSY with the cupboards bare. Is that what some reports were saying? Jesus... they know no bounds.

Just now, Outerdog said:

The part I heard stated they were trapped on the busses for 2 hours and then in the outbuilding thing without food and water.

I didn't hear anything indicating the ship rolled on up to MSY with the cupboards bare. Is that what some reports were saying? Jesus... they know no bounds.

I’ve seen headlines that have said “food shortages”