Linked reservations for late seating, not

WMQueenie

Just off the Sunrise yesterday. We booked 3 cabins online, all linked together. After we checked in, I looked at everyone's card and  we had 3 separate tables, all at 8:15 (never had this issue before, we were always seated together).  I immediately went to the dining room upon boarding and the maitre d was not there so we spoke with the girl who was there,  she said we had -  2 at a table for 2,  2 at a table for 10 and my sister all alone at a large table and that it was impossible to change for the first night but they might be able to change it the next day. She said the maitre d would be available around 6PM so we saw him then.  He was very condescending and outright rude saying our reservations were NOT linked...I asked him if he wanted to see my reservation on my phone and he waved me off.  He went on to say that  he had very few requests to change dining times and it would be impossible to get us a table for 5 for the late seating. After much discussion, he said he could give us anytime dining which we ended up agreeing to. It worked out, but we had first time cruisers with us and I wanted them to experience the set dining experience with the same wait staff every night and the shows they perform at the end of the dinner service. We tried to get the same wait staff the 2nd night and they said they weren't available. We ended up at a different table every night.  It was disappointing, however,  I will say, the staff was excellent and the food was the best we've had on a ship.  We only saw 2 "shows" out of 8 nights. 

Another thought on anytime dining...we usually tip our waitstaff extra, in cash, on the last night but had no bond with the anytime staff.  This made me wonder about how unfair it is to these hard working people that they must not get the same tips as the set dining staff does.  Does anyone tip the anytime waitstaff if you have different people every night?

That was a disappointing MDR experience.  I thought, apparently erroneously, linking dining reservations for up to ten people would get you seated together.

We did your time dining on our first two cruises.  A couple of nights we had a really efficient and personable wait team and left a cash tip.  Most nights we didn't feel the need to add anything to the pre-paid grats.  Then we tried set dining and have never looked back.

• Like 1

Did you call Carnival to link the bookings?  When I have booked multiple cabins online, I still had to call Carnival to get the bookings linked together. We frequently cruise with family and/or friends. I always call Carnival multiple times to link bookings and/or to ensure our bookings are linked.

I don’t know if it is still there, but recently Carnival added a booking link to their website that initially had me believing you could link bookings online, but I found out that the link only allows you to “see” another booking, but doesn’t link them. 

I'm thinking along the same lines as PhillyFan. It was always to my understanding that someone at Carnival (a customer service rep. or PVP) had to link bookings for dining purposes. I think what PhillyFan was referring to was the "Manage Another Booking" button that lets you do just that, manage more than one booking with a single Carnival account. Even if you manage more than one booking in your cruise manager online, I'm not so sure that's technically "linking" them for dining.

If you want to make changes to your dining on embarkation day, it's very common that those changes won't start until the second night. That is, if the changes are even granted. So you can't fault them for that.

As far as tips for YTD wait staff, I don't know this for sure, but I would suspect that they get rotated between YTD and set dining. If not during the same cruise, then maybe across different cruises. I do know that the same people who work the Lido buffet and eateries like Guy's Burgers also work the MDR's at night, so I'd suspect that YTD wait staff get shuffled around at some point too. So they all probably get a shot at making those additional tips during set dining times.

On the Pride, a few years ago, we had 3 couples, who are all Diamonds, with linked reservations (we all double checked with our PVPs). When we got on the ship, we were at 3 different tables. We went to see the maitre ‘d (a well known - well liked - maitre ‘d who also is known for his singing). He was anything but helpful. And he obviously didn’t pay a lot of attention to the reservations when he was assigning seating. Eventually 2 of the couples were able to sit together at a 4 top, but the third couple was stuck at an 8 top. 

It does happen.

Bob

No, I did not call Carnival to link the reservations as I never had to before.  I wish they would have an option online to put in your dining table preference right next to the time you select.  I've learned my lesson and will call from now on!  I always go to the dining room on embarkation day to check out our table and once or twice out of 15 cruises did we ask for a change and it was done with no problem.  All of us thought this maitre 'd was very rude-only member of the crew that we encountered that was unpleasant.

We had Ken, the singing maitre 'd on the Pride in November and he was awesome!  Entertainment every night at the end of the 8:15 dinner service.  Only issue on the Pride was that we were in the absolute back of the dining room and the vibration was so bad that everything on the table was jumping around.  Ken tried to move us (there we 8 of us on that cruise) but we ended up at 2 tables side by side, which was fine.

Just curious, is there a need to link cabins if we have YTD?  Ive cruised carnival before but no experience with the YTD.  It shows you can use the HUB app to get a table and I'm wondering how that works, if one person can request a table for 6 or if someone from each cabin has to request a table?

23 minutes ago, SUNNY D said:

Just curious, is there a need to link cabins if we have YTD?  Ive cruised carnival before but no experience with the YTD.  It shows you can use the HUB app to get a table and I'm wondering how that works, if one person can request a table for 6 or if someone from each cabin has to request a table?

No need to IF you just walk up to the check in desk and give them the cabin numbers.  On the HUB app, all of our names appeared when I checked in using the app after the first day.

9 hours ago, xbatt8 said:

On the Pride, a few years ago, we had 3 couples, who are all Diamonds, with linked reservations (we all double checked with our PVPs). When we got on the ship, we were at 3 different tables. We went to see the maitre ‘d (a well known - well liked - maitre ‘d who also is known for his singing). He was anything but helpful. And he obviously didn’t pay a lot of attention to the reservations when he was assigning seating. Eventually 2 of the couples were able to sit together at a 4 top, but the third couple was stuck at an 8 top. 

It does happen.

Bob

LOL, who was that.  Why not just say his name.  Sorry he could not help you, but he is easily the best they in Carnival.  That said, things do happen.  Maybe the couple "stuck" at an 8 top made some new friends.  Some see chicken salad, some see something else.

9 hours ago, xbatt8 said:

On the Pride, a few years ago, we had 3 couples, who are all Diamonds, with linked reservations (we all double checked with our PVPs). When we got on the ship, we were at 3 different tables.

But what did being Diamond have to do with it?

2 hours ago, SUNNY D said:

We always do YTD and our PVP has always linked them when. Whether or not that's absolutely necessary, I can't tell you. I'd say go ahead and link them just to make it easier once you're onboard. WMQueenie is right, you can just give them your cabin numbers, but it won't hurt to link them.

We haven't had a chance to use the Hub app to check in for YTD yet. It wasn't available on our cruise last year, but we'll finally get to try that feature in a few months. From what I've read on here, everyone will show up when you go to check in and I guess you choose how many will be dining. But I don't know if you have to link them to get all of them to appear. Another good reason to just go ahead and link them.

3 hours ago, WMQueenie said:

No, I did not call Carnival to link the reservations as I never had to before.  I wish they would have an option online to put in your dining table preference right next to the time you select.  I've learned my lesson and will call from now on!  I always go to the dining room on embarkation day to check out our table and once or twice out of 15 cruises did we ask for a change and it was done with no problem.  All of us thought this maitre 'd was very rude-only member of the crew that we encountered that was unpleasant.

We had Ken, the singing maitre 'd on the Pride in November and he was awesome!  Entertainment every night at the end of the 8:15 dinner service.  Only issue on the Pride was that we were in the absolute back of the dining room and the vibration was so bad that everything on the table was jumping around.  Ken tried to move us (there we 8 of us on that cruise) but we ended up at 2 tables side by side, which was fine.

Ken is spil the best!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, WMQueenie said:

Another thought on anytime dining...we usually tip our waitstaff extra, in cash, on the last night but had no bond with the anytime staff.  This made me wonder about how unfair it is to these hard working people that they must not get the same tips as the set dining staff does.  Does anyone tip the anytime waitstaff if you have different people every night?

If on the week you were on the ship your wait staff was working the My Time dining tables, the following week they may be working Set Time tables in another dining room.

It all evens out in the end.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, AdGuyMG said:

If on the week you were on the ship your wait staff was working the My Time dining tables, the following week they may be working Set Time tables in another dining room.

It all evens out in the end.

That's what I was hoping!

10 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

But what did being Diamond have to do with it?

Its all part of the back story... like that we were on the Pride, that our reservations were linked, that the Maitre ‘d was a well seasoned and well liked Maitre ‘d. 

Bob

I will chime in here. I haven't been on Carnival for 6 years but 2 days ago I booked our family on the Vista. Three cabins and on the confirmation email, at the bottom in fine print under the heading: Guest notes, it states that these 3 cabins are linked together for dining and then lists the 3 confirmation numbers. I guess it remains to be seen if they actually are linked, and not being one to take things for granted I will call and confirm. However it seems to me Carnival has taken care of it. 

7 hours ago, cc-riderslc said:

I will chime in here. I haven't been on Carnival for 6 years but 2 days ago I booked our family on the Vista. Three cabins and on the confirmation email, at the bottom in fine print under the heading: Guest notes, it states that these 3 cabins are linked together for dining and then lists the 3 confirmation numbers. I guess it remains to be seen if they actually are linked, and not being one to take things for granted I will call and confirm. However it seems to me Carnival has taken care of it. 

We have done it many. many times with no issue whatsoever, enjoy your cruise.

Edited by jimbo5544

On 9/6/2019 at 7:35 AM, WMQueenie said:

No, I did not call Carnival to link the reservations as I never had to before.  I wish they would have an option online to put in your dining table preference right next to the time you select.  I've learned my lesson and will call from now on! 

While its good you learned a lesson, I think Carnival could do a better job of letting new/inexperienced cruisers know about a lot of issues that experienced cruisers take for granted.

I find it interesting that Carnival markets itself to new/inexperienced cruisers, yet they don’t provide information that these cruisers can easily access. Their website provides decent information including FAQs, but if you don’t know what you are looking for or don’t know what questions to ask, you won’t find the answer or even know what you are looking for.  I think this is a perfect example of you don’t know what you don’t know. 

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

While its good you learned a lesson, I think Carnival could do a better job of letting new/inexperienced cruisers know about a lot of issues that experienced cruisers take for granted.

I find it interesting that Carnival markets itself to new/inexperienced cruisers, yet they don’t provide information that these cruisers can easily access. Their website provides decent information including FAQs, but if you don’t know what you are looking for or don’t know what questions to ask, you won’t find the answer or even know what you are looking for.  I think this is a perfect example of you don’t know what you don’t know. 

Isn’t that what they would say a TA or PVP’s job is?

I went on a group cruise years ago (Red Hatters- 200 crazy women onboard at once- so glad I was a part of the group and not a victim of it!). Anyway our organizer was a travel agent and she linked all the cabins together, but somehow, ours was the only booking that had early dining- all other 198 were late dining! This wasn't discovered til we boarded and she made a VERY big deal out of it until the maître d changed us to late dining and rearranged some other diners to accommodate us at their table (instead of 8 at her table we became 10). 

My friend and I would have been okay if we were on our own but our organizer made such a big deal out of it that not only did they move us (and probably inconvenienced other people) but they comped us a bottle of wine at dinner on a couple of nights- not being big drinkers, the bottle was mostly shared with our table. I enjoyed being with the group but couldn't help but think of how many people were inconvenienced because of their mistake.

3 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I wouldn’t disagree with that. My personal recommendation when going on a new cruise line for the first time is to go with friends who have been on that cruise line, if possible. 

It makes the entire experience better.  

Carnival does make it a bit difficult to link dining. We've got a unique situation in that we a mixed group going that have 5 cabins through 3 different travel agencies and 2 with Carnival direct. The only way Carnival let us link was by linking to one of the cabins booked direct with Carnival. Not sure what would've happened if it was just a bunch of different travel agencies. 

If you're curious, the different travel agencies were a result of different priorities. One allowed no deposit, one that was booked later had better OBC and one was booked by CC points which goes through their travel agency. 

On 9/5/2019 at 6:09 PM, WMQueenie said:

Just off the Sunrise yesterday. We booked 3 cabins online, all linked together. After we checked in, I looked at everyone's card and  we had 3 separate tables, all at 8:15 (never had this issue before, we were always seated together).  I immediately went to the dining room upon boarding and the maitre d was not there so we spoke with the girl who was there,  she said we had -  2 at a table for 2,  2 at a table for 10 and my sister all alone at a large table and that it was impossible to change for the first night but they might be able to change it the next day. She said the maitre d would be available around 6PM so we saw him then.  He was very condescending and outright rude saying our reservations were NOT linked...I asked him if he wanted to see my reservation on my phone and he waved me off.  He went on to say that  he had very few requests to change dining times and it would be impossible to get us a table for 5 for the late seating. After much discussion, he said he could give us anytime dining which we ended up agreeing to. It worked out, but we had first time cruisers with us and I wanted them to experience the set dining experience with the same wait staff every night and the shows they perform at the end of the dinner service. We tried to get the same wait staff the 2nd night and they said they weren't available. We ended up at a different table every night.  It was disappointing, however,  I will say, the staff was excellent and the food was the best we've had on a ship.  We only saw 2 "shows" out of 8 nights. 

On 9/6/2019 at 7:35 AM, WMQueenie said:

So , they were or weren't linked?  

If people leave the auto grats in place, ATD are okay and are better than the assigned dining crew who have the same folks all cruise just to find out they pulled the auto grats on the last day.

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

So , they were or weren't linked?  

If people leave the auto grats in place, ATD are okay and are better than the assigned dining crew who have the same folks all cruise just to find out they pulled the auto grats on the last day.

If you read one of the OP’s later posts, the bookings were never linked together. I think this is due to her not understanding what actually constitutes linking bookings together. While I think the OP bares some responsibility, I think Carnival could do a better job educating inexperienced cruisers. Of course one could also make the argument that’s what a TA is for. 

• Like 1