Any sign of Edge prices dropping?

mafig

Looking for a cruise.  Looking at NCL, Royal and MSC.

Last we looked at Edge the prices were higher in regular balconies than the suites in the above-mentioned cruiselines.

Maybe I'll give Edge one last look before I book.  Is there any hope?

There is always hope😊. But timing is the key.  

We were on the Edge in Jan having booked the day bookings opened.  Turns out that was a great day to book & by the time we sailed our cabin category was sold out & prices got to twice what we paid.

We wanted to cruise again on the Edge and in May we found a large on-line TA that had some group space.  We booked the 15 night Transatlantic in Concierge 2 class cabin with  beverage package, prepaid gratuity,  Wi-Fi &  OBC for. $2799 pp.  Today the price is $475pp more.   

Right now the prices on the November 1 Edge TA are quite good.  If that timing works for you.  

We have been comparing the Oasis of the Seas with the Edge, both for March 2020.  Within a few dollars, a junior suite on Oasis is about the same as an E2 on Edge. Both are around $3300  - $3400. You can get a regular balcony on Oasis for about $1800. If you want a Grand Suite on Oasis, it’s about $5100. 

We may actually do a side-to-side, with Oasis one week and Edge the next.

mac_tlc

On 9/8/2019 at 11:09 AM, jelayne said:

There is always hope😊. But timing is the key.  

We were on the Edge in Jan having booked the day bookings opened.  Turns out that was a great day to book & by the time we sailed our cabin category was sold out & prices got to twice what we paid.

We wanted to cruise again on the Edge and in May we found a large on-line TA that had some group space.  We booked the 15 night Transatlantic in Concierge 2 class cabin with  beverage package, prepaid gratuity,  Wi-Fi &  OBC for. $2799 pp.  Today the price is $475pp more.   

Right now the prices on the November 1 Edge TA are quite good.  If that timing works for you.  

I thought that in the past you could not get the beverage pkg on transatlantic or repositioning cruises or am I mistaken?

19 minutes ago, daydreamer16 said:

I thought that in the past you could not get the beverage pkg on transatlantic or repositioning cruises or am I mistaken?

We have all four perks (including the premium beverage package) on our Apex TA in 2020.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

We have all four perks (including the premium beverage package) on our Apex TA in 2020.

It is on the Edge and other trans-atlantics, they ran a special when I was on board once, but you can get it without being on board. In fact I am also on the TA in November. Originally 16,000 for a S3. Ridiculous. I followed the price and switched to guarantee last day of payment at 9,500, kept all perks. After payment it dropped another 2,000 with perks as a guarantee. Now I am in a S1 and it looks like all guarantees will be S2 or 1. Monitoring one's cruise is becoming a full time job, so except for unique itineraries I think we are going to be looking at after final payment bookings. I don't need a rock bottom price, but with these swings its out of my comfort zone.

I am looking forward to this cruise and changing things up until the solstice class is remodeled. C-Dragons I hope you have an awesome cruise to Hawaii!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daydreamer16 said:

That was the case for a number of years.  In May I noticed that a TP we had booked with no perks had a price with all 4 perks.  We refared our booking paying $2000 more for the 4 perks for 15 nights but now getting $950 refundable OBC which will get refunded to us. Taking into account we would have paid the daily gratuity of$540 .  It seemed like a good deal. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mac_tlc said:

We have been comparing the Oasis of the Seas with the Edge, both for March 2020.  Within a few dollars, a junior suite on Oasis is about the same as an E2 on Edge. Both are around $3300  - $3400. You can get a regular balcony on Oasis for about $1800. If you want a Grand Suite on Oasis, it’s about $5100. 

We may actually do a side-to-side, with Oasis one week and Edge the next.

mac_tlc

We did side-to-side on Harmony and Edge earlier this year both cruises in mid-level suites (CL and CS). Both were priced about the same if you added the extras given on Celebrity (gratuities, premium beverage, OBC) which you pay for on Royal.  Both suites had WiFi included.  Both suites had suite restaurant and lounge.

2 hours ago, WAVTAM said:

Deals on Edge start when the Apex hits the water.

Hopefully true, but I was looking at January 2021 and the two ships are almost identical in price. 

Maybe when we we get a little closer......

mac_tlc

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

We did side-to-side on Harmony and Edge earlier this year both cruises in mid-level suites (CL and CS). Both were priced about the same if you added the extras given on Celebrity (gratuities, premium beverage, OBC) which you pay for on Royal.  Both suites had WiFi included.  Both suites had suite restaurant and lounge.

That’s a great side-to-side!! Great cabins!!

mac_tlc

2 hours ago, TeeRick said:

We did a Grand Suite on the Allure in October. It included prepaid gratuities, internet, and $250 obc, no drink package. It was over $100 p.p. per day, cheaper than the Sky Suite with all four perks.

We just got off the Equinox Saturday, after doing a B2B (14 days total, staying in a Sky Suite. We are on the MSC Seaside,  staying in a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite, in three weeks, doing a 14 day cruise. The only perk difference being we got $600 total on the Equinox and only $300 on MSC. We paid $8200 total for the two of us which includes $660 back from skipping Nassau to deliver humanitarian aid to Freeport Bahamas. We are paying $5300 total for the two of us. MSC also has a suite restaurant and lounge. This will be our second cruise on MSC Seaside in a little over a year. We know from experience what it has to offer and don't pay any attention the jaded reviews posted.

We realize this was a very special deal, we've got for two cruises and the prices have risen dramatically, but it happened. Although we had a great time on the Equinox, we know we'll also have a great time on the Seaside and have an extra $2900 to spend as we please. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, villauk said:

Well, I had an Exciting Deals offer today for Edge at $549 for 9 nights in November. I thought it was a big drop to sell the cabins - appears it was an error as I’ve just received a ‘Correction’ email 😆.

1E24F02B-6984-49EC-AA79-80664FBF83EE.jpeg

I got that too. Too bad it was supposed to be the Summit and the Edge cruise was 4 times that one. 

I also got an email that said that they noticed I was looking at a certain cruise and they would like me to finish the booking and receive an extra $50 each OBC. I haven't gotten that one before. 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

20 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

We did a Grand Suite on the Allure in October. It included prepaid gratuities, internet, and $250 obc, no drink package. It was over $100 p.p. per day, cheaper than the Sky Suite with all four perks.

We just got off the Equinox Saturday, after doing a B2B (14 days total, staying in a Sky Suite. We are on the MSC Seaside,  staying in a Yacht Club Deluxe Suite, in three weeks, doing a 14 day cruise. The only perk difference being we got $600 total on the Equinox and only $300 on MSC. We paid $8200 total for the two of us which includes $660 back from skipping Nassau to deliver humanitarian aid to Freeport Bahamas. We are paying $5300 total for the two of us. MSC also has a suite restaurant and lounge. This will be our second cruise on MSC Seaside in a little over a year. We know from experience what it has to offer and don't pay any attention the jaded reviews posted.

We realize this was a very special deal, we've got for two cruises and the prices have risen dramatically, but it happened. Although we had a great time on the Equinox, we know we'll also have a great time on the Seaside and have an extra $2900 to spend as we please. 

Thanks for these details.  We are certainly interested in checking out our options on MSC.

36 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Thanks for these details.  We are certainly interested in checking out our options on MSC.

Speaking of MSC, did everyone see that they are building 4 LNG ships with > 6000 passengers?

https://www.meretmarine.com/fr/content/saint-nazaire-va-lancer-la-construction-de-son-premier-paquebot-propulsion-gnl

(right click to translate)

Edited by vtcruising

16 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I got that too. Too bad it was supposed to be the Summit and the Edge cruise was 4 times that one. 

I also got an email that said that they noticed I was looking at a certain cruise and they would like me to finish the booking and receive an extra $50 each OBC. I haven't gotten that one before. 🙂

I've been getting those “noticed” emails from X for a couple of weeks. Really annoying. 😉

20 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Keep getting the ‘noticed you were looking’ emails but not with any extra OBC.

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Keep getting the ‘noticed you were looking’ emails but not with any extra OBC.

This is what it said: " We noticed that you browsed through our Exciting Deals recently. There is still time to book your summer getaway—so take advantage of these low fares before they sell out.

Plus, book now and receive a $50 bonus** to spend onboard on select sailings."

I just looked at it again now and looked at the ** and I think there might be a $50 PP OBC offer right now. It might not have had to do with my browsing, but was added to the email to further entice me. 🙂

Here is the **:  " **Book Now Bonus Onboard Credit Offer (“OBC”) is applicable to new bookings made 9/3/19 through 9/9/19, for select 4-night and longer cruises departing 09/23/19 – 12/31/19. Galapagos and certain other itineraries are excluded. Offer is $50 OBC per person and will be applied onboard automatically. OBC has no cash value, is applicable to cruise only, non-transferable, not redeemable for cash, and will expire if not used by 10:00 PM on the final night of the cruise. Not applicable to groups"

For winter 7 night Caribbean cruises, I really don't feel like the prices are too far out of line. I don't watch suite prices so I cannot speak to them. However, looking at Celebrity, NCL, Princess and Royal are all around $4,000 for a 7 night cruise once you balance out OBC, prepaid grats and drink packages.