Security camera at home

rob6465

The value plan will work. We have used it in the past to watch the live feed on the video cameras at our dog boarder's to check in on the dog every now and then. We aren't crazy dog parents, but she gets rambunctious and likes to escape through open doors if an opportunity arises so we check to make sure she is still there. lol 

Edited by Mrs CruisinCritter

We also have camera's at home. We have an app on our phone that allows us to see inside the house. We get the middle internet plan and have had no problem out of the ordinary. We have not tried it through the chrome or safari though, just the app.

Edited by tytanbri

8 minutes ago, Mrs CruisinCritter said:

The value plan will work. We have used it in the past to watch the live feed on the video cameras at our dog boarder's to check in on the dog every now and then. We aren't crazy dog parents, but she gets rambunctious and likes to escape through open doors if an opportunity arises so we check to make sure she is still there. lol 

That is what we'll be watching. We have 3 dogs that sister in-law will be watching and we just want to make sure they ok and she did not leave one outside in yard.

Just picturing y'all… you see someone steal something off your porch thru these apps... or perhaps breaking into your house...  the culprits looking directly into the camera with an expression on their face of 'so what'..., or perhaps talking into the camera...

"We're stealing your stuff, and you are not around to do anything about it"...    😂

5 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Just picturing y'all… you see someone steal something off your porch thru these apps... or perhaps breaking into your house...  the culprits looking directly into the camera with an expression on their face of 'so what'..., or perhaps talking into the camera...

"We're stealing your stuff, and you are not around to do anything about it"...    😂

Kind of like the Allstate “mayhem” commercial... “I’m a car thief here to steal your car.” Homeowner: “What? What! WHAT!!??”

In all seriousness though, you do realize that most security cameras record to a hard drive or cloud storage, right? It’s no different than if the person is at work. While a homeowner may not be able to do anything about it then & there, one of the primary purposes is to aid in catching the thief. Some systems will alert the homeowner right away. They can call the police or, if on the ship, hopefully contact friends or family who can call the cops for them. Heck, if I saw it, I’d gladly let my phone connect to Cellular at Sea and incur the charges if it meant getting the cops there sooner.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

My son staying at house with his 9mm will say otherwise and the Staffordshire terrier...lol

10 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

Or do what we did. Notify local police and send video clip by email. These cameras either record to cloud, hard drive, or you can take a 'screenshot'. These cameras aren't just for viewing in real time.

4 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Kind of like the Allstate “mayhem” commercial... “I’m a car thief here to steal your car.” Homeowner: “What? What! WHAT!!??”

Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote the scenario... was just trying to recall the commercial...   😂😂😂🤣

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

On our last cruise this past January, we had video cameras recently installed with one camera pointed at the living room area.  We would see our cats on the sofa and then speak to them.  Their furry ears would perk up and they would look around like "where are my people servants and why aren't they worshipping me?" It was very entertaining!🤣

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, staceyglow said:

I am just wondering what those people expect to see on the cameras and what they intend to do about it if they do see something.  They are going to be out in the middle of the ocean.

I have a coworker that has a live feed on her phone of a camera in her house running all day. It's aimed at where her dog typically sleeps during the day. It gives her comfort knowing her dog is okay while she's at work.

11 minutes ago, mz-s said:

I have a coworker that has a live feed on her phone of a camera in her house running all day. It's aimed at where her dog typically sleeps during the day. It gives her comfort knowing her dog is okay while she's at work.

Maybe the dog has the feed on a loop and it is having all the neighbor pets over for a party?  

• Haha 7

We were just on the Breeze and my husband was able to talk to his father through our Ring with the premium package at one point. It "dinged" that someone was coming through the front door on his phone. With that said, it didn't work the entire time, but we were able to intermittently see what was going on in our house. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, staceyglow said:

I am just wondering what those people expect to see on the cameras and what they intend to do about it if they do see something.  They are going to be out in the middle of the ocean.

You can yell at them through the camera that you are calling the cops and to get out of your house. They don't know you are in the middle of the ocean. You could also Facebook message one of your neighbors to call the cops...or come over and check it out if someone is just loitering about outside your house.  

• Like 1

As an aside, I have a funny and psuedo scary story about Ring cameras.  We were gone for several weeks this summer in Europe and no one was home at our house for several weeks.  Even our animals were with friends or boarded.  After we came back, I kept hearing strange noises at night. My husband told me I was crazy. I finally put cameras underneath my house (it is ten feet off the ground with a garage/crawl space underneath that we use for storage) and caught a homeless man who was sleeping under there at night.  I guess he basically moved in while we were gone.  We then set up an alarm and scared him off.  I felt bad for him, but I have young kids and can't have a stranger sleeping under my house.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eli_6 said:

As an aside, I have a funny and psuedo scary story about Ring cameras.  We were gone for several weeks this summer in Europe and no one was home at our house for several weeks.  Even our animals were with friends or boarded.  After we came back, I kept hearing strange noises at night. My husband told me I was crazy. I finally put cameras underneath my house (it is ten feet off the ground with a garage/crawl space underneath that we use for storage) and caught a homeless man who was sleeping under there at night.  I guess he basically moved in while we were gone.  We then set up an alarm and scared him off.  I felt bad for him, but I have young kids and can't have a stranger sleeping under my house.  

Please don't feel bad.  We have had incidences locally  where it wasn't under the porch, but kicked in the door and moved in.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

You can yell at them through the camera that you are calling the cops and to get out of your house. They don't know you are in the middle of the ocean. You could also Facebook message one of your neighbors to call the cops...or come over and check it out if someone is just loitering about outside your house.  

I guess I would focus on getting a security system that keeps people out of my house in the first place rather than rely on a system I would have to constantly monitor so that  I could yell at intruders.  😃

14 hours ago, Eli_6 said:

Oh my!!  I have an older home (built in 1980) and we have an attic that is accessible by a pull down ladder in the ceiling.  I sometimes have heard creaky noises and thought "could there be someone up there?"  I'm getting the chills right now just thinking about your scenario!😲

On 9/14/2019 at 10:15 AM, Bookbug53 said:

Or do what we did. Notify local police and send video clip by email. These cameras either record to cloud, hard drive, or you can take a 'screenshot'. These cameras aren't just for viewing in real time.

But you have them on camera and just give pics or video to police. We did that a few weeks ago and thieves were arrested.