Horizon / Live / Solo - Sep 21-29-2019

sid_9169

IMG_20190926_140250.thumb.jpg.b21fb8687744a42a953a510fd80fe74b.jpg

IMG_20190926_140848.thumb.jpg.082580890b135220e70eaf79af322bfe.jpg

I really wanted to swim in the ocean... I had come all this way, and still hadn't done it yet. I don't swim in pools or anything like that, but give me a lake, or a river, or an ocean, and I'm in... I know this sounds diametrically opposed to my extreme ocd, but hey, I'm an enigma... I went back towards the beach, and of course I had to take my shoes off again. I usually just try to find an honest looking couple to watch my bag, but I know people feel weird about that. I did find some unoccupied loungers with umbrellas. I walked over and asked the guy renting the chairs if it would be cool to just leave my stuff there for awhile. I wasn't trying to get a free chair, I just wanted my stuff up off the sand and in some shade if possible. He had no problem with it, and minutes later I was swimming in the cool, calm, and beautiful blue water... I stayed out for a good while. I thought about life and stuff and for a minute, thought about nothing at all... I really don't want to go back home to work and traffic and all the other crap that comprises my life back there...

I could stay in the Caribbean forever, but I don't have the money to pick up and start all over again... I would be heading home soon, another year older, and still not really happy at all about my life. Anyhoo, that's my fiftieth birthday in a nutshell... Back to dinner!

I don't really eat dessert, so I ordered another appetizer. Arancini... I think it's fried risotto?

IMG_20190926_184255.jpg

• Like 10

Pretty soon, I knew that I would have to start heading back to the ship. Our on board time was 3:30, and it was about 2:45... I dried off and walked up to the little beach side bar to rinse off my feet. Of course, after I do this, in every direction was more sand... I just tried to tread as lightly as I could, and tried to get most of it off with my Carnival beach towel. I got as much as I could, then I just put my slightly sandy feet inside my shoes and walked to the road. I found a driver, and said I was going back to the port. He said $15... I told him I paid $5 to get here. He said that, well I must've gotten a deal... I went to the next guy, who also said $15. I walked away, and he said $12... I told him I would just go to the bus stop.

I started walking, and remember, it's about 3:00 by now... Still, I'm not paying $15 for a ten minute ride. Pretty soon, a bis approached as I was walking. He honked the horn, and I raised my hand. Next thing I know, I'm on the bus heading back towards the ship.

IMG_20190926_144756.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

IMG_20190926_123246.thumb.jpg.319707d0d4106b0d070187738c5b8026.jpg

I came across this pelican, and he didn't seem to be bothered by my presence at all... I was about three feet from him when I took this picture. I could have gotten closer, but I didn't know if he might attack me.

Then I came across another pelican. Same thing, he just stood there... I tell ya, they're some pretty brave birds... Or, maybe they're not scared cause they could peck someone's eye out or something...

IMG_20190926_124637.jpg

new_orleans_pelicans_2014-present_s.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sid_9169 said:

I wanted to put my shoes back on, but of course they were covered in sand... I found some shade, and I pulled out a bunch of handy wipes, and tried to get all the sand off... It really wasn't going so well. I finally just decided to go ahead and put them on. There was no way possible that I was going to make it on that hot asphalt.

Put a small thing of baby powder in your survival kit. Takes all the sand off instantly. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 2bthere said:

That beach looked beautiful and your phone is doing a great job with the pictures which I knew you were wondering about.
I'm just amazed you haven't stopped by a local store for some Cheetos.

I thought about walking out into the water to get a really cool shot, but just my luck, I would've probably dropped my phone in the water...

Sid ALT-team Amy checking in after getting off the Breakaway last Sunday....and trying to catch up with boring everyday life. Just wanted to wish you a very happy 1/2 hundred day. 

Have not read your whole trip but getting there. 

• Like 3