Horizon / Live / Solo - Sep 21-29-2019

sid_9169

7 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

Great, I'm missing the season opener to Survivor... That's not a very good birthday present:(

You got to go by the set for Survivor yesterday... while wearing your life vest from the Siege of Tyre in 332 BC. That’s kind of a cool bday present! 

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Hi Wilson!

Couple questions:

A.  What don't you eat (i.e. Tide Pods)?

2.  How was your shirt received at Chef's Table? 😜

🙂

A: tide pods and carrot raisin salad at Chick fil A...

B: nobody even noticed...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

In less than three hours I will have been around the sun fifty times... Not really the most exciting day of my life, but at least I don't have to go to work tomorrow...

Whenever I read someone post Happy Birthday to you today, I kept thinking that you mentioned a couple of times that your birthday was the day you would be in Aruba. Makes me feel good that I read correctly.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DubNHub said:

In my opinion, this is probably more for the benefit of the kitchen staff than it is for filling your belly. Think about the thousands of covers they do every day... day in, day out, for months at a time. Meat, starch, veg, repeat. They probably relish (hehe) the chance to show off their chops once or twice a week. I graduated from culinary school and worked in many restaurants, and owned my own business for a while. I enjoyed the times I got to make stuff off the menu and bring my own form of artistry to the plate. I enjoy working with my hands, and I enjoyed taking raw product and transforming it into a beautiful final product. A chef mentor I had when I was coming up used to reiterate... what we do is one of the most intimate forms of human to human interaction you can have. People are literally putting into their bodies what you have presented to them. Take care, take pride, show respect for their trust, and above all, show respect for the food.... I always held this very close when I was in the industry. You trust me to feed you, to employ best safety practices in terms of fresh product and proper handling. The animal that was once living is now in my hands, and I have to honor its life by respecting it throughout my cookery. 

They love what they do, and their love is clearly shown by the intricate and consistently beautifully plates they turned out during that dinner. Minimalist, deconstructed molecular gastronomy cuisine is not my specific preference in terms of dining or actual cooking. But I enjoyed doing it, and now that I’ve left the industry, I greatly enjoy seeing it from the other side. 

Off my my soap box now... my wife and I are taking our first Carnival cruise next year (and only our second cruise ever). The first thing I did after paying the deposit was to book the chefs table. I am beyond excited to be a part of it!

Well said!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

In less than three hours I will have been around the sun fifty times... Not really the most exciting day of my life, but at least I don't have to go to work tomorrow...

Prob won't be around at midnight....Happiest of Birthdays Sid. And thanks for taking us along for the ride. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

I'll trade with you.....

Edited by emdia43
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

In less than three hours my twin sister and I will have been around the sun 61 times!  Happy Birthday Sid!  I am enjoying this wonderful review and will be on the Horizon in another 9 weeks!  My twin sister ( Eva) will be on her in Feb., she is also enjoying your review.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sid_9169 said:

10:30 pm... Still going strong at the Alchemy Bar... Trey, the guy that recognized me on the first day, sitting to my right... John from New York, as well as my birthday cruise from last year, to my left...

Enjoy every drink & your birthday!  50 is just the start!

• Like 1

11:20... Still at Alchemy... I may need to run back to my cabin and chug some more Flyby... Last couple of drinks I forgot to photograph... So, these are the types of shenanigans that go on after I go to bed every night...

Edited by sid_9169
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

11:20... Still at Alchemy... I may need to run back to my cabin and chug some more Flyby... Last couple of drinks I forgot to photograph... So, these are the types of shenanigans that go on after I go to bed every night...

See what you’ve been missing. Don’t run back to your room....you’ll lose your seat!

• Like 2